PDA

View Full Version : A messge to all Saints fans

saintsfan29
22.03.2012, 01:31 PM
Yes, what certain memebers of the Saints did was wrong and they deserved to be punished. But does the punishment fit the crime? Absolutely no way.

So I'm going to boycott all non-Saints NFL related stuff from today.

I'm not going to renew my Gamepass subscription - there are other ways of watching every Saints game.
I'm not going to go to the Wembley / IS game ever again.
I'm not going to buy any NFL-branded gear (was thinking about getting a new Nike Brees jersey, but not gonna bother now)
I'm not going to read ESPN, nfl.com, CBS sports, Fox sports, PFT, SI, etc etc. I don't give a **** about the rest of the league now, so I can get my Saints info from saintsreport.com and other Saints-related sites.

Dictator Goodell is a control freak and is gradually ruining the game. How he can hand out such harsh penalties when other teams have done similar things in the past and not been punished is beyond me.

Goodell must go. plain and simple.

I expect some people will think this is childish, but hey you're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to mine.

So I would like to suggest that other Saints fans boycott the NFL as I plan to do.

Andyf
22.03.2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, what certain memebers of the Saints did was wrong and they deserved to be punished. But does the punishment fit the crime? Absolutely no way.

So I'm going to boycott all non-Saints NFL related stuff from today.

I'm not going to renew my Gamepass subscription - there are other ways of watching every Saints game.
I'm not going to go to the Wembley / IS game ever again.
I'm not going to buy any NFL-branded gear (was thinking about getting a new Nike Brees jersey, but not gonna bother now)
I'm not going to read ESPN, nfl.com, CBS sports, Fox sports, PFT, SI, etc etc. I don't give a **** about the rest of the league now, so I can get my Saints info from saintsreport.com and other Saints-related sites.

Dictator Goodell is a control freak and is gradually ruining the game. How he can hand out such harsh penalties when other teams have done similar things in the past and not been punished is beyond me.

Goodell must go. plain and simple.

I expect some people will think this is childish, but hey you're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to mine.

So I would like to suggest that other Saints fans boycott the NFL as I plan to do.
well done. see you next year.

Craigus89
22.03.2012, 02:02 PM
Grow a pair you child.

the_walrus
22.03.2012, 08:54 PM
SaintsFan29 I can understand how you feel, but you're looking at this all wrong. Now is the time our team needs our support the most.

I'm going to be renewing my GamePass subscription next season because 1) I F'N hate Sky! And 2) I love my Saints, and come hell or high water I'll put down my money to watch my team every week, Sure I'm annoyed about Goodell's decision (although that's more about letting WiIliams and other teams off too lightly than anything else!) but my team mean too much to me for not paying to watch to be an option.

I won't be going to the IS game this year either, but that's just because I hate Brady and it'll be a walkover. If the game is a great one then I'm happy to pay to go. It's important that we push for more NFL events here, not less, or we as a country will become even more marginalised in relation to the game we love.

Providing they're still playing for us at the start of the season I'll be in a new Graham or Sproles jersey. Showing our colours is important, and the best way we have of giving the finger to everyone complaining that we didn't get hit hard enough.

I understand you frustration, but now is the time for unity and support of our Saints. Don't let the ******* commissioner grind you down.

WhoDatMonkey87
23.03.2012, 05:26 PM
SaintsFan29 I can understand how you feel, but you're looking at this all wrong. Now is the time our team needs our support the most.

I'm going to be renewing my GamePass subscription next season because 1) I F'N hate Sky! And 2) I love my Saints, and come hell or high water I'll put down my money to watch my team every week, Sure I'm annoyed about Goodell's decision (although that's more about letting WiIliams and other teams off too lightly than anything else!) but my team mean too much to me for not paying to watch to be an option.

I won't be going to the IS game this year either, but that's just because I hate Brady and it'll be a walkover. If the game is a great one then I'm happy to pay to go. It's important that we push for more NFL events here, not less, or we as a country will become even more marginalised in relation to the game we love.

Providing they're still playing for us at the start of the season I'll be in a new Graham or Sproles jersey. Showing our colours is important, and the best way we have of giving the finger to everyone complaining that we didn't get hit hard enough.

I understand you frustration, but now is the time for unity and support of our Saints. Don't let the ******* commissioner grind you down.

Well said! I'm with you dude!

Goodfry
23.03.2012, 07:01 PM
Lol really? It was clear it was known about by a lot of people in the organisation. Anyone playing innocent is just lying to save their own skin. Only reason fans have to be bitter is that the Saints weren't the only ones doing this stuff and you are the ones being made the example of because someone leaked information. Want a reason to be really bitter go back to the days you were the Aints . You know before you had a run of dominance capped off by a Superbowl back when you went decades between playoff wins. Saints fans have had the good life it?s not like this have tarnished it just put a obstacle in the way of future success. Harsh you lose your headcoach but it's just for one season.

phoenix492
23.03.2012, 07:03 PM
Stuff

You're joking right? I doubt the NFL will miss your money much, and I doubt many other people will boycott anything to do with the NFL just because of your reactions.

Goodell was well within his rights to ban Payton, and the others, and punish the franchise (draft picks etc). The defense were being paid extra to end peoples careers. Don't think it was right?

Did you not watch the 2009 game versus the Vikings? Those hits on Favre were unacceptable. I'll always remember that game - I remember Favre when he played the broncos in superbowl 32 (the first game I watched) and for someone to try and destroy his career (and possibly his way of life after football) for $10,000 is horrendous. Spectators were horried by some of the tackles / hits...

The players are lucky he can't take their superbowl rings off them, as after all this has come out - I don't think they deserve them. You might be the champs on paper, but definitely not the "wholesome" team that everyone thought you were before this.

How is Goodell ruining the game by trying to protect the players? The NFL is being sued all the time for guys with head injuries now, why shouldn't he ban people who were trying to end other players careers on purpose?

If you aren't good enough to win without cheating, you aren't good enough to win, and don't deserve the respect of the other teams.

Personally, I think you guys got off lightly.

Spadesaregood
23.03.2012, 07:08 PM
Right, that's it, the NFL might as well shut up shop right now.

martin3026
24.03.2012, 03:32 PM
You're joking right? I doubt the NFL will miss your money much, and I doubt many other people will boycott anything to do with the NFL just because of your reactions.

Goodell was well within his rights to ban Payton, and the others, and punish the franchise (draft picks etc). The defense were being paid extra to end peoples careers. Don't think it was right?

Did you not watch the 2009 game versus the Vikings? Those hits on Favre were unacceptable. I'll always remember that game - I remember Favre when he played the broncos in superbowl 32 (the first game I watched) and for someone to try and destroy his career (and possibly his way of life after football) for $10,000 is horrendous. Spectators were horried by some of the tackles / hits...

The players are lucky he can't take their superbowl rings off them, as after all this has come out - I don't think they deserve them. You might be the champs on paper, but definitely not the "wholesome" team that everyone thought you were before this.

How is Goodell ruining the game by trying to protect the players? The NFL is being sued all the time for guys with head injuries now, why shouldn't he ban people who were trying to end other players careers on purpose?

If you aren't good enough to win without cheating, you aren't good enough to win, and don't deserve the respect of the other teams.

Personally, I think you guys got off lightly.

One of the most uneducated posts i've seen on the board.

Going after the QB is a perfectly legitimate play in any playbook, ever heard of a blitz? Going after a QB extra hard is also completely legal, the hall of fame is full of players who made their name doing this. How playing hard can be seen as cheating is just laughable.

What is wrong is offering a financial bonus for any play, and i agree its wrong to single out an individual and punishments should be levied. However it's not cheating, filming and knowing the other teams play calls is cheating. Hitting hard isn't.

I've watched the 2009 game against the Vikings many times. It's a masterclass in how to run a defence. Were there a few late hits?, yes and the ones that were late got flagged (as is the referees job). The defensive plan was go about disrupting Brett Favre pure an simple, to make him nervous at every snap.

In Brett Favres own words "those guys were just doing there job", if his own O'line had done their job there wouldn't have been a problem, but the changing schemes had them on a backfoot throughout the game where they didn't know what was coming next.

I'll add that the team was rightly punished for allowing the bounty system to go ahead. But i'm pretty sure that the QB blitz will remain in football for a long time.

GolfWang.
24.03.2012, 03:47 PM
Have to applaud Goddell. Said he spoke at length to Sean Peyton twice in the last couple of weeks, he exchanged e-mails where bountys were mentioned, HE KNEW. "If you're going to lie to my face, on more than one occasion, that is almost as unforgiveable as the crime itself. So watch me make an example of you".

Another annoying thing about this: people throwing about the word snitch and not really getting the true 'implication' of the word. A snitch is an enemy. If he's the enemy, then what he reported should have never been told? Which means in all likelihood it isn't limited to the Saints?

phoenix492
24.03.2012, 04:49 PM
Some biased crap

How exactly was my post un-educated exactly? You contradict yourself in your reply, saying that all your D was doing was blitzing, but later say that you admit that some of the hits were late? It's documented that the players were told that they would get paid $10,000 if they took Favre out of the game. At what point is that legal...and right?

A blitz is one thing, going after a QB's ankles, simply tackling him when he's well away from the play, and eventually forcing him out of the game? That's not a Blitz. Thats a reckless defence trying to end someones career.

Hell, I even took the time to educate you, on the saints "blitz" tactics :

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_were_paid_bounty_to_injure_bret t_favre.php

A bit biased I'll admit, but
http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2012/3/6/2847902/saints-bounties-minnesota-vikings-gregg-williams

http://min.scout.com/2/1163898.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/nfl-saints-used-illegal-player-bounty-program/1#.T236ndWk6Sp

Need I keep finding them? Or are you going to accept the fact that the saints weren't blitzing, but they were purposely taking out Favre...for money?

EDIT : Also, yeah, Favre did say "those guys were just doing their job"l, but he also did say that after some of the hits (that weren't flagged due to poor officials) "What the Hell are you guys doing?!" - It's in one of the posts I've linked above. Feel free to read them, and try and take some notes.

martin3026
24.03.2012, 10:58 PM
How exactly was my post un-educated exactly? You contradict yourself in your reply, saying that all your D was doing was blitzing, but later say that you admit that some of the hits were late? It's documented that the players were told that they would get paid $10,000 if they took Favre out of the game. At what point is that legal...and right?

A blitz is one thing, going after a QB's ankles, simply tackling him when he's well away from the play, and eventually forcing him out of the game? That's not a Blitz. Thats a reckless defence trying to end someones career.

Hell, I even took the time to educate you, on the saints "blitz" tactics :

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_were_paid_bounty_to_injure_bret t_favre.php

A bit biased I'll admit, but
http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2012/3/6/2847902/saints-bounties-minnesota-vikings-gregg-williams

http://min.scout.com/2/1163898.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/nfl-saints-used-illegal-player-bounty-program/1#.T236ndWk6Sp

Need I keep finding them? Or are you going to accept the fact that the saints weren't blitzing, but they were purposely taking out Favre...for money?

EDIT : Also, yeah, Favre did say "those guys were just doing their job"l, but he also did say that after some of the hits (that weren't flagged due to poor officials) "What the Hell are you guys doing?!" - It's in one of the posts I've linked above. Feel free to read them, and try and take some notes.

Have you read any of those articles? Everyone one states that the bounties were wrong (no argument here) but the Vikings didn't loose the game because of them.

I didn't contradict myself at all. The Saints sent many blitzes, they also had a few late hits, doesn't mean they weren't blitzing. The referees are in charge of the game and call penalties as they see them, you can't blame the Saints for bad referee calls. To be fair they don't have the advantage of slowing down every play to the 100ths of a second and many angles that TV offers.

Where in the NFL (or any football) rule book does it say you cannot tackle a QB (or any player) by the ankle? I've never heard such a rule. There are rules to protect hits to the knees (particularly from the side) and also double teaming high and low (which i grant did happen) but no where can i find anything about not tackling a player by the ankle.

I say again the bounties were wrong, however playing hard is not, if you don't want your QB to be hit hard either get a good O'line or release the ball early end of.

Favre wasn't the only QB to be hit late in that game, it's just the Saints don't cry about it.

XLVI
01.05.2012, 08:55 PM
Right, that's it, the NFL might as well shut up shop right now.
Hahaha .

DeadPoolSgt
07.05.2012, 12:42 AM
Here's my view on it. i will keep it short and sweet.

I think bounties are wrong, actual bounties, with money for taking guys out and stuff. i dont see any problem with targeting players. (and yes, targeting injuries sounds terrible i agree but ive played alot of sports over the years, not professionaly in any capacity, and in most of them we were encouraged to use a guys injury to our advantage). Please understand, that I don't think intentionally going out there, knowing a guys injured and then trying to end his career. im hypothetically speaking, i think theres a line and you shouldnt cross it.

if vilma was really offering x-sum mount of money to take guys out of games, so be it, Goodell said he would come down hard and he did, fair enough, no complaints.

I thought more of our players would have been punished, so im grateful they wern't.

I think Goodell "potentioally" could ruin more and more of the sport. time will tell.

I think other teams practice their own form of bounties but so far havn't been caught. Saint's didnt handle it well, they were stupid in fact, about alot if it. if what we have been told is true and it most likely is majority truth.

Meh, I'm not going to go on. If people hate the team and express that by hating their fans , online and what not, that's ok. It's to be expected. But please don't expect throwing false rumours and opinions, and throwing facts (yep, even fact's) at fans are somehow going to make them stop supporting their team. regardless of who you support, stick with them to the death. that's what makes a true fan. but also realise that even your own team, isn't always going to be doing the right things, and it's ok to be dissapointed.

I completely respect everyones opinions on the matter.

rockster
27.07.2012, 06:00 PM
I have watched the last 2 years Saints games on Game pass and they were not a dirty team, hard hitting as a good D should be but no worse than any other team. In fact stat's show that the Saints were one of the cleaner teams. So I don't buy into this whole bounty stuff. and as for Vilma, any man worth his salt would challenge charges against him if he is innocent. However a good bit of the evidence shown has been faulty, ie a player saying something and it turns out it was not his voice. A certain amount of the alledged evidence has come from a minor coach who lost his job a couple of years ago and is bitter etc. If the evidence is so good then show it. The commissioner is not showing it. In a court of law you would not have a single man be judge and jury. It is wrong that the decisions of 1 man can ruin players carreers. Remember the stats show the Saints are not a dirty team. I think the Saints have been made a scapegoat for the concusion issue where the legue is being sued and they are attempting to give the image of cleaning up the game.

DarrenSQh
07.08.2012, 10:48 AM
Looking to have a bit of light at the end of the tunnel now with Vilma. Im still surprised that the NFL has not presented any of the evidence that they say they do. Its starting to look like Roger doesnt have anything and Vilma has a good cause for optimism.

Nice to see Drews strong words against Roger on sunday too.