PDA

View Full Version : Team Selection Query!

colonelp
26.03.2012, 07:20 PM
Good evening. Im currently without an NFL and have decided to take things slow and see who pulls me in. Recently I've read about the importance certain teams place on character assessment. So far I have discovered that both the Chiefs and the Falcons are strong on this philosophy (to a lesser extent the Bills). Although some people argue this leads to 'uninspiring' players/teams, I quite like the notion that they are looking at building something akin to good team players and future role models. What are your thoughts on the Falcons 'black dot' policy and which other teams put more emphasis on this kind of approach?

steven a h
26.03.2012, 08:17 PM
the reason the falcons are so big on player character is because of former QB mike vick the owner arthur blank loved mike vick because of his amazing play making abilities and his high profile in the league/his jersey was the NO1 selling jersey in the nfl for a few years/ he was veryexciting to watch .but he got the jail for dog fighting and went to federal prison for nearly 2 years .and it screwed the falcons there coach QUITTER AND SCUMBAG BOBBY PETRINO LEFT THE FALCONS IN THE LURCH AND THEY WERE AWFUL.butb the drafted MATT RYAN as QB this guy is a model citizen and all round good guy and the falcons have had 4 winning season in a row and are a team on the up atlanta is a great place to visit and the georgia dome is fantastic so if you dont want to be a glory hunter and stand out from the crowd pick a team on the up GO FALCONS//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Vincent
26.03.2012, 08:33 PM
The Jags are in what SHOULD be the final stages of gutting and rebuilding the roster which is now entirely made up of what you would call 'character' guys. Goes back to the days of Matt Jones and his drug issues and numerous other players on the team getting into indiscretions.

colonelp
26.03.2012, 11:42 PM
Steven - cheers for the information. So what drew you to the Falcons? They are often talked about as being a good team but what are your thoughts on why they have struggled in the playoffs?

Vincent - I didnt realise the Jags had adopted a similar approach. How long do you think it will be until the results start improving? It sounds as though last season was a tough one|

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 08:21 AM
Steven - cheers for the information. So what drew you to the Falcons? They are often talked about as being a good team but what are your thoughts on why they have struggled in the playoffs?

Vincent - I didnt realise the Jags had adopted a similar approach. How long do you think it will be until the results start improving? It sounds as though last season was a tough one|

Hi mate,

I'm also considering picking the falcons
Partly because of the black dot policy

Also because I think the falcons kind of fly under the radar a bit and keep themselves to themselves

Do any teams apart from the falcons and jags adopt this policy?

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 08:22 AM

Hi mate,

Also because I think the falcons kind of fly under the radar a bit and keep themselves to themselves

From what I've read, the jags have a championship quality defense, its just the offense that needs work.

colonelp
27.03.2012, 09:48 AM
Hi mate,

From what I've read, the jags have a championship quality defense, its just the offense that needs work.

Hey there. I guess we are thinking on similar lines. I just like the idea that some teams place importance in who they select to represent them as persojnally I get frustrated reading about high profile players being arrested. The only other team I've read about with this kind of approach is Kansas City. Both Dimitroff and Pioli (GM Chiefs) were at New England together and I imagine they wanted to introduce some of their successful methods to their own teams. Therefore the Patriots were perhaps the first? or perhaps most successful team to use a similar policy.

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah I like the idea too

I think if I was a GM I would like to think I woyld take the same approach

I do think the jaguars fall into this category too

What teams are you considering supporting?

colonelp
27.03.2012, 11:44 AM
Like a few people Ive got it down to a small core of teams but I cant decide at the moment so Im just trying to see who pulls me in. My shortlist seems to be:

Bears - mainly because they were the first time I saw in the 80's so I have a soft spot, but they are very popular and think I might be looking for a smaller team.
Chiefs - Likeable, good fans, good potential, select on good character
Falcons - as above with less emphasis on the fan base
Bills - Smaller team, good potential, the battling underdog...

Ive eliminated a few others previously like the Jags and Seahawks mainly based on gut feel

Stubbsy #21
27.03.2012, 12:19 PM
If you want to find out more about Pioli and Dimitroff then i'd recommend reading a book by Michael Holley called War Room: The Legacy if Bill Belichick and the Art of Building the perfect team.

I started following the Falcons in 2004 partly due to Mike Vick but my loyalty has always been to the team. With whats happened recently with the Saints and their bounties the concept of having a high character team has been emphasized further. Its not just about winning its how you do it.

I will say this - with the Falcons once the season begins its rarely dull! Although as long as its not the dirty Aints you go with i'll respect your choice(s).

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the recommendation stubbs

Nice choice of teams there colonel

I also have a shortlist of, although they are

Atlanta
Jacksonville
Seattle

colonelp
27.03.2012, 05:44 PM
If you want to find out more about Pioli and Dimitroff then i'd recommend reading a book by Michael Holley called War Room: The Legacy if Bill Belichick and the Art of Building the perfect team.

I started following the Falcons in 2004 partly due to Mike Vick but my loyalty has always been to the team. With whats happened recently with the Saints and their bounties the concept of having a high character team has been emphasized further. Its not just about winning its how you do it.

I will say this - with the Falcons once the season begins its rarely dull! Although as long as its not the dirty Aints you go with i'll respect your choice(s).

Cheers Stubbsy, I will have a search for that book. Have you read it? Also what would say an accurate stereotype of the Falcons is in terms of style, character, personality etc? Cheers

colonelp
27.03.2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the recommendation stubbs

Nice choice of teams there colonel

I also have a shortlist of, although they are

Atlanta
Jacksonville
Seattle

We aren't that disimilar then. What factors are you looking into apart from character...is it mainly teams that are likeable and not in the spotlight?

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 06:07 PM
We aren't that disimilar then. What factors are you looking into apart from character...is it mainly teams that are likeable and not in the spotlight?

Exactly that really mate

I have thought about supporting a big team, eg. the Steelers or Cowboys
But then I think I would feel like a sheep at the end of it

I'd rather go for a middle or lower appreciated teams

I like Jacksonville because they draft well, seem to always draft players out of lower ranked colleges too, I like that. They get alot of stick on here for not filling their stadium, when the fact is, there were 6 or 7 teams with lower averages than them last season
As Vincent said, the character of the players is good too. Similar to how the Falcons draft

I like the Seahawks because of how passionate their fans are and they are in a division with a team that is very well supported, the 49ers. I also like the pick up of Matt Flynn.

I like the Falcons because of the character of the players that get drafted and the fact that people see them from the outside as a good team, but a team that seems to be lacking something. I really like Matt Ryan also, think hes a great leader and a hard worker.

Another thing that is crucial for me is that all 3 of those teams have regular posters on this site, and the boards are always active. I would love to think I could be a Chiefs fan, as there aren't that many on here, but I would just get bored. I guess someone needs to start a trend though.

I have a list of the teams and their fan numbers in the UK which I will post in a minute too, if thats of any help to you. I know the Falcons are around 15 - 16th I think.

With the Chiefs, Baldwin and Jones had a altercation at the start of the season, if this link helps you decide anything, although it could be seen as just 2 competitive players being competitive

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6877472/jonathan-baldwin-kansas-city-chiefs-hurt-fight-thomas-jones

Vincent
27.03.2012, 06:13 PM

All depends on the development of Blaine Gabbert and whether they can find a half decent wide receiver. As has been said, the defence looks set to be solid for the foreseeable, special teams are decent and it's the offence which is the weak link at the moment (aside from Mojo Drew!).

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 06:32 PM
UK Fan Numbers

1st New England Patriots 20,238
2nd Miami Dolphins 15,131
3rd Philadelphia Eagles 11,603
4th San Francisco 49ers 10,544
5th New York Giants 10,346
6thWashington Redskins 10,310
7th Dallas Cowboys 10, 301
8th Green Bay Packers 10,117
9th Chicago Bears 10, 110
10th Oakland Raiders 9,429
11th Pittsburgh Steelers 9,007
12th Atlanta Falcons 8,968
13th Indianapolis Colts 8,325
14th Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6,809
15th Denver Broncos 6,804
16th Seattle Seahawks 6,565
17th St Louis Rams 6,120
18th New York Jets 5,292
19th Cincinnati Bengals 4,817
20th Minnesota Vikings 3,741
21st Carolina Panthers 3,730
22nd San Diego Chargers 3,546
23rd Baltimore Ravens 3,521
24th Tennessee Titans 2,624
25th New Orleans Saints 2,461
26th Buffalo Bills 2,197
26th Cleveland Browns 2,197
28th Kansas City Chiefs 2,142
29th Jacksonville Jaguars 1,928
30th Detroit Lions 1,328
31st Arizona Cardinals 1,228
32nd Houston Texans 1,106

nfl.afl
27.03.2012, 06:42 PM
Vincent, what Jags games would you recommend looking at on gamepass for the season just gone?

Vincent
27.03.2012, 07:03 PM
Vincent, what Jags games would you recommend looking at on gamepass for the season just gone?
It was pretty rough viewing to be honest lol. The Buc's game and the last game against the colts were good examples of the good character, never quit stuff.

Slightly different views to Gamepass from the team website;

Bucs - http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Jaguars-vs-Colts-field-view/25d35a91-8bee-40bb-946b-224fcd018873#?id=2ee5aca0-5d99-4035-ad13-485a83b70a6d&channelName=Videos%20-%20Gameday

Colts - http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Jaguars-vs-Colts-field-view/25d35a91-8bee-40bb-946b-224fcd018873

colonelp
27.03.2012, 07:18 PM
Cheers Vincent.

nfl.afl - interesting post. It's nice to hear someone else is going down the same route as me as sometimes I think it's quite comical when I think about how much time I'm investing in the process of selecting a team :). However our short list are comparable with a couple of extra teams on my part.

Cheers for the link. I guess it's only possible to speculate what the cause of the fight was but quite an impact to their season nevertheless. Out of the teams I mentioned I find myself gravitating to the Bears, Falcons and Chiefs but also feel the urge to accept that the Bears have enough support already. I did consider the Seahawks and I think with the new uniform and the signining of Flynn they could be a good pick.

I tend to have a look on this forum daily so it would be great to be able to get involved which is the slight downside to the Chiefs as they dont seem to be very active on here which is a shame.

Interesting fan figures too. I have had a look at each teams facebook page and none of the teams weve mentioned (Bears aside) have hit 1,000,000 fans yet.

georgia dome
28.03.2012, 06:19 AM

Hi there mate id like to thanks a site member of mine ste, for his imput?
And i`d go with the Falcons too
I run a FALCONSUK fans website if you`d like to join us we have AUctions on Falcons Merchandise and Comps to win Free Falcons T-SHIRTS through out the Season..

Here`s my website go check it out thx,
Carl...

www.falconsuk.webs.com
GO FALCONS..........................

nfl.afl
28.03.2012, 08:47 AM
Hi there mate id like to thanks a site member of mine ste, for his imput?
And i`d go with the Falcons too
I run a FALCONSUK fans website if you`d like to join us we have AUctions on Falcons Merchandise and Comps to win Free Falcons T-SHIRTS through out the Season..

Here`s my website go check it out thx,
Carl...

www.falconsuk.webs.com
GO FALCONS..........................

Nice post

Its definitely between atlanta and jacksonville for me

Colonel, if I was you I would drop the chiefs, solely on the fact your gonna be active on the forum. There isn't much chiefs related stuff on the forum sadly.

colonelp
28.03.2012, 10:06 AM
Nice post

Its definitely between atlanta and jacksonville for me

Colonel, if I was you I would drop the chiefs, solely on the fact your gonna be active on the forum. There isn't much chiefs related stuff on the forum sadly.

Well good luck with choosing one of them. If you can't separate one from the other some good advice I've heard is to listen to your gut feel.

Think Im going to see if I can find out anything else that separates the Chiefs and Falcons apart!

nfl.afl
28.03.2012, 10:17 AM
What about the bears :D

colonelp
28.03.2012, 12:08 PM
What about the bears :D

Ha...well I already decided they will be my second team regardless :)

nfl.afl
28.03.2012, 01:21 PM
Ha...well I already decided they will be my second team regardless :)

Good thinking.

That's what I'm going to do with the 2 teams I got left.

Out of interest,

Do you follow any other american sports?

steven a h
28.03.2012, 05:28 PM
if your looking for falcons sites there is the www.thefalconaholic and www.falconsroost these are very good and lots of great articles and and discussion forums also carl who runs falcons uk fan site which hewrote about before so give it ago///

falcongirl75
28.03.2012, 05:28 PM
I chose Atlanta for similar reasons, I wanted a team that operated under the radar, but had potential. I didnt want an obvious choice and having watched a few Falcons games, something just clicked. They appeared to have a good aura about them and to me if someone doesn't have that they stick out like a sore thumb eg..Petrino

Based on the east coast makes it a bit more accessible should you opt for a visit (which I can recommend)

Good luck with your choice (but I don't think you would go far wrong choosing the Falcons)

colonelp
28.03.2012, 06:24 PM
Cheers for the input and nice to hear Falcongirls reason for choosing the Falcons as it seems there are a few of us with similar mindset .

Oh, as for my other teams...i dont follow other American sports per se although i have been fortunate enough to see NBA and MLB in the States. The teams I have arbitrarily chosen are Nba Atlanta Hawks, Nhl Florida Panthers and Mlb San Francisco Giants but i really dont know much about them. How about you?

Devilfalc
02.04.2012, 09:10 PM
the reason the falcons are so big on player character is because of former QB mike vick the owner arthur blank loved mike vick because of his amazing play making abilities and his high profile in the league/his jersey was the NO1 selling jersey in the nfl for a few years/ he was veryexciting to watch .but he got the jail for dog fighting and went to federal prison for nearly 2 years .and it screwed the falcons there coach QUITTER AND SCUMBAG BOBBY PETRINO LEFT THE FALCONS IN THE LURCH AND THEY WERE AWFUL.butb the drafted MATT RYAN as QB this guy is a model citizen and all round good guy and the falcons have had 4 winning season in a row and are a team on the up atlanta is a great place to visit and the georgia dome is fantastic so if you dont want to be a glory hunter and stand out from the crowd pick a team on the up GO FALCONS//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

That's not true. Arthur Blank talked about chracter from the day he bought the team, and he hired Rich McKay as GM because he was one of the architects of the character based approach to drafting and roster management.

The Falcons were emphasising character for several years before Vick and Petrino did their thing.

Devilfalc
02.04.2012, 09:19 PM
Cheers Stubbsy, I will have a search for that book. Have you read it? Also what would say an accurate stereotype of the Falcons is in terms of style, character, personality etc? Cheers

That falcons look for high motor players with a strong work ethic, leadership qualities and who have not been in trouble. They don't mind reaching down to the smaller colleges for players who have these characterisitcs, provided that the players have of course been productive at their programmes.

Rick McKay previously introduced the "Falcons Filter". Many fans think that the falcon filter is a filter to sift out the people with character problems, but it is actually the opposite. It's used to identify the handful of players in every draft who scored top marks in every charcter aspect that the Falcons coveted.

colonelp
03.04.2012, 12:26 PM
That falcons look for high motor players with a strong work ethic, leadership qualities and who have not been in trouble. They don't mind reaching down to the smaller colleges for players who have these characterisitcs, provided that the players have of course been productive at their programmes.

Rick McKay previously introduced the "Falcons Filter". Many fans think that the falcon filter is a filter to sift out the people with character problems, but it is actually the opposite. It's used to identify the handful of players in every draft who scored top marks in every charcter aspect that the Falcons coveted.

Cheers Devilfalc, I hadn't come across the term falcon filter before and just found a few articles relating to it. It would appear that some fans are unhappy with the policy and would rather sacrifice the stringent quest for high character for a 'better' chance to win silverware. However the obvious argument to oppose this is the 4 winning seasons the Falcons have achieved using Falcon filter. Additionally TD has said that he now believes there is sufficient high character players to dilute the effects of 'an ego', which may allow for taking a gamble with certain high risk players, believing that they can be moulded!