PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Texas!

LoneStarDan
05.08.2012, 06:41 PM
Its cool to see some Texans fans in the UK!

StevenMccormick12
05.08.2012, 08:19 PM
And great to hear from a native Texan! What's the buzz around Houston for the season coming?

LoneStarDan
05.08.2012, 10:14 PM
Its awsome! over 5000 people showed up just to watch them practice

colonelp
06.08.2012, 11:20 AM
Hey mate, nice to hear from a local! The Texans don't have the most active forum on here but there are still some loyal fans about. I've enjoyed reading/following the Texans this off season and I like what they are about...slightly under the radar, high character, well run, with a great attitude and some great players to match. The Texans are certainly on my shortlist so if I opt for them I'll be hitting this forum much more.

StevenMccormick12
06.08.2012, 04:37 PM
Do it ColonelP! Come on.....nah important not to rush into finding a team. Was leaning towards the Patriots, 49ers but in the end just loved everything you said about the Texans.

5,000 at camp? Wow great support for The Bulls! Hear great things about Houston, I'm a Celtic fan. They have a big supporters club there

LoneStarDan
07.08.2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah the Texans were defiantly not getting the attention they deserved last season and it was really aggravating a lot of the fans. Our defense went from last to first in the NFL and we ended the season with second best defense, right after the steelers, then on top of that we lost two qbs, then dre, then mario, and even foster for a couple of games and we were still winning, yet you never heard about it on tv or the radio. So the Texans are defiantly a super bowl contender this season! Im just pumped for the season to start!

LoneStarDan
07.08.2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQXGMqmI2s

StevenMccormick12
07.08.2012, 10:25 PM
Looking forward to getting the season started! Great video. Is there any worry over in Houston, with yourself, that the D will drop with Ryans and Mario moving on? Personally I don't think they will

LoneStarDan
09.08.2012, 03:02 AM
Nobody seems to be too worried, i mean it would have been great to be able to keep Mario but it was just too much money. What i don't get though is that he said it wasn't about the money....ok well then why did you leave? Houston is close to getting into the Superbowl and the bills are still in rebuilding mode, but oh well, it is what it is. And plus they had a killer D without him so they should be fine. Their motto was 'next man up' all season and we have a lot of good players that will step up.

I was upset when they let Ryans go but again its not like he was irreplaceable.

colonelp
09.08.2012, 09:23 AM
A couple of questions that you might be able to answer from a local point of view - a) being a comparatively new team, do you feel that the Texans have now developed a clear identity, and if so how would you describe it (Bulls on Parade is a good example of this identity i think)?

Also, do you think they will always be in the shadow of the Cowboys in terms of support, given the Cowboys storied history and mass following, plus the fact some Houston supporters stayed with the Titans?

Cheers

LoneStarDan
09.08.2012, 07:44 PM
They have come a long way. We just use to be known for losing haha, but being a new team i think that was to be expected. The first years were tough but we always stuck by our team. I really think we have some of the best fans and for the last three years they have been named the best tailgaters, by the tailgaiting commissioner Joe Cahn.

People are finally starting to notice us, and if the Texans keep playing well we're going to be known for our awsome D and our awsome run game. In my opinion Foster is the best RB in the NFL and if Dre stays healthy one of the best WR too. So things are looking up here in Houston.

And as for the Cowgirls... well what can i say? Its hard to convince people that we're not in their shadow when they have a winning record and are ''Americas Team''. But the last sb they won was 17 years ago so its hard to say we're still in their shadow now.

Now the titans are different story. I HATE the titans haha more than the cowboys, and when Dre beat up Cortland Finnagan on the field, i think that help solidify our rivalry haha. Every once in a while i'll see some ''wana be gangsters'' wearing oiler stuff but they're wearing it to be ''cool'', everyone here has already moved on.

colonelp
09.08.2012, 08:14 PM
I think the 'Bulls On Parade' theme is great. It conjures up the image of a team with attitude and tough on Defence. I also love the 'next man up' approach they took last season. As you say, another good season this year should do the trick :)

Yeh, when I said in the shadow I meant in terms of support (purely a numbers thing) as you are spot on when you talk about their last success being 17 years ago. I certainly don't think the Texans are in their shadow in any other respect.

I watched that Finnagan fight ha ha. I also watched the footage of Cushing getting headbutted - he made some funny comments after that. These guys are a really likeable bunch.

LoneStarDan
13.08.2012, 03:26 PM
The fan base is slowly growing and im glad im part of it, it will probably a while before they get a big fan base like the cowboys, gb, pats etc. but im not to worried about that, id rather have true loyal fans than a bunch of bandwagon fans just jumping on because they did good this season.

haha yeah Cush is carzy! last season his bloody face after that headbutt was really popular, people had posters of it and he singed a ton of them haha, such a fun defense to watch!

StevenMccormick12
13.08.2012, 04:40 PM
Cushing was pretty unknown to me, now my favourite player and that incident did have something to do with it haha!! They are such a fun D to watch and Mercilus looks as though he will be another weapon.

LoneStar the fact the franchise is so raw was also a big part of why I began following the Texans. Chance to be a part of the success from humble beginnigs

colonelp
14.08.2012, 06:43 PM
Cushing the beast! I love this kind of stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1AE1j295dE

LoneStarDan
14.08.2012, 09:26 PM
you picked a good reason to follow steven! definitely a up and comming team. i didnt know picking a team was so hard in the UK, but i guess when you have no tie to the US or any of the states it makes sense why its difficult for some.

Also i like the layout of this website but im not to crazy about the videos for alot of the teams. Alot of them need to be updated, honestly if i didnt follow football and was trying to find a team to pick, the Texans video isnt very interesting, they need to show our new revved up defence, our awsome run game with foster and tate, our possible future hall of fame wr Andre, and our awsome fans who are the best tailgaters in the NFL for the last 3 years!

TexansTaylor
14.08.2012, 10:07 PM
They have come a long way. We just use to be known for losing haha, but being a new team i think that was to be expected. The first years were tough but we always stuck by our team. I really think we have some of the best fans and for the last three years they have been named the best tailgaters, by the tailgaiting commissioner Joe Cahn.

People are finally starting to notice us, and if the Texans keep playing well we're going to be known for our awsome D and our awsome run game. In my opinion Foster is the best RB in the NFL and if Dre stays healthy one of the best WR too. So things are looking up here in Houston.

And as for the Cowgirls... well what can i say? Its hard to convince people that we're not in their shadow when they have a winning record and are ''Americas Team''. But the last sb they won was 17 years ago so its hard to say we're still in their shadow now.

Now the titans are different story. I HATE the titans haha more than the cowboys, and when Dre beat up Cortland Finnagan on the field, i think that help solidify our rivalry haha. Every once in a while i'll see some ''wana be gangsters'' wearing oiler stuff but they're wearing it to be ''cool'', everyone here has already moved on.

Great to hear from a fan from Houston. I like your comments about the Cowboys and the Titans.

I was curious to know what college team people in Houston mainly support. Is it the Cougers or Rice. I love College football as much as the NFL now I think so interested to know your thoughts.

Welcome to the forum LonestarDan.

NFL_Rich
14.08.2012, 11:14 PM
Welcome! As you know I'm probably the newest Texan fan here (and As I look forward to being part a Fanbase of a new, young and exciting franchise with an exciting future it's gonna be great chatting with other fans about the ups and downs .. Great to have a local here to gauge what's going on there in Houston and to give us an accurate account from a local perspective :)

LoneStarDan
14.08.2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks Taylor! and i would say the coogs have a bigger following, rice is a private university and is hard to get into so it has a small student body, there for smaller fan base, plus their not really know for their football haha. plus the coogs almost had a perfect season so everyone in the city was excited about that. Im a big Texas A&M fan, my girlfriend goes there and we go to a lot of the football games, and ill be going to the University of Houston in a couple of weeks so im going to start following the coogs now too, so i have a lot of football to watch! haha

LoneStarDan
15.08.2012, 02:10 AM
You picked a good team rich, good to have you as a Texans fan!

TexansTaylor
15.08.2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome! As you know I'm probably the newest Texan fan here (and As I look forward to being part a Fanbase of a new, young and exciting franchise with an exciting future it's gonna be great chatting with other fans about the ups and downs .. Great to have a local here to gauge what's going on there in Houston and to give us an accurate account from a local perspective :)

Hi Rich316

I noticed your location status. You must be the only Texans fan from the Galactic blue Empire I know of. :)

TexansTaylor
15.08.2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks Taylor! and i would say the coogs have a bigger following, rice is a private university and is hard to get into so it has a small student body, there for smaller fan base, plus their not really know for their football haha. plus the coogs almost had a perfect season so everyone in the city was excited about that. Im a big Texas A&M fan, my girlfriend goes there and we go to a lot of the football games, and ill be going to the University of Houston in a couple of weeks so im going to start following the coogs now too, so i have a lot of football to watch! haha

I watch College football on ESPN America each season, It is great to watch. I like the Georgia Bull dogs mainly and the Houston Cougars with the links to Houston naturally. It was great to see Case Keenum join the Texans. He looked awesome in College. I hope he works out just as good in the NFL for the Texans.

Texas A&M in the SEC this season will be good to watch aswell.:)

NFL_Rich
15.08.2012, 06:15 PM
Hi Rich316

I noticed your location status. You must be the only Texans fan from the Galactic blue Empire I know of. :)

Lol mate I bet! Otherwise known as Essex via birth place of London

LoneStarDan
15.08.2012, 08:22 PM
I watch College football on ESPN America each season, It is great to watch. I like the Georgia Bull dogs mainly and the Houston Cougars with the links to Houston naturally. It was great to see Case Keenum join the Texans. He looked awesome in College. I hope he works out just as good in the NFL for the Texans.

Texas A&M in the SEC this season will be good to watch aswell.:)

yeah and coach Sumlin is now A&M's coach so I'm interested to see how that goes! football games in college station(A&M) are unlike any other football games you'll ever go too and in my opinion college football is bigger here in the states than NFL football. also A&M is the original 12th man, that's why i don't like the sea hawks and some people don't know but the sea hawks have to pay A&M to use the 12th man stuff.

LoneStarDan
15.08.2012, 08:27 PM
and this is the video thats gets me pumped for college football!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVpx6JN1A4U

NFL_Rich
16.08.2012, 09:34 PM
Great vid dude

TexansTaylor
19.08.2012, 09:52 PM
yeah and coach Sumlin is now A&M's coach so I'm interested to see how that goes! football games in college station(A&M) are unlike any other football games you'll ever go too and in my opinion college football is bigger here in the states than NFL football. also A&M is the original 12th man, that's why i don't like the sea hawks and some people don't know but the sea hawks have to pay A&M to use the 12th man stuff.

I did not know that about A&M and the Seahawks.

I was wondering what would be the best month to visit Houston to see the Texans and the Cougars. would it be easy to get around on public transport aswell. Am wanting to save up and visit in the near future. Thought you would know being a local and all. Any advice would be great

LoneStarDan
21.08.2012, 10:58 PM
I did not know that about A&M and the Seahawks.

I was wondering what would be the best month to visit Houston to see the Texans and the Cougars. would it be easy to get around on public transport aswell. Am wanting to save up and visit in the near future. Thought you would know being a local and all. Any advice would be great

glad i can spread some knowledge haha.

and if your not use to the heat i would suggest coming oct-jan, Houston heat is different from regular Texas heat, since we're close to the coast its really humid, so a 100 degree day can feel like a 105 degree day with the humidity, and it also makes you really sticky and gross haha. Texas has really weird weather too.. i remember one christmas it was snowing and later that day i went swimming because it got really hot haha.

I never have used the public transportation that much because i just drive everywere but there are busses and rail systems that will get you everywhere you need to go, you can also get a cab but im not sure if thats any cheaper?

NativeHoustonian
22.08.2012, 01:58 PM
Greetings from Houston! :)

Everyone here is pumped for the season, I can assure you that. Texans love their football, so now that the Texans are a legit contender, this anticipation is HUGE. Reliant Stadium is easily one of the top 5 as far as loudest/ most electric stadiums in the country and sells out every game. Oh yeah, the Texans parking lot tailgating was voted the best in the league last year also.

Another thing I want to point out is that the team has been building slowly and consistently over the past few years. So the depth is better than most other teams in the league. This is evidenced by the injuries that were overcome last year. We had our third string rookie QB lead us to a playoff victory last year. By contrast, the Colts lost their QB and finished last in the league.

Also, the team is balanced on offense, and now has strong defense and special teams play. We have lead the league in passing or rushing in alternate years, so opponents can't focus on one aspect and eliminate it.
Now that the defense is a strength also, expectations are sky high.

Plus, ownership has been patient fair when dealing with player contracts. They have not sacrificed future success for flashy trades. The team is in good position to make a run at a Super Bowl for multiple years.

NFL_Rich
22.08.2012, 05:36 PM
Greetings from Houston! :)

Everyone here is pumped for the season, I can assure you that. Texans love their football, so now that the Texans are a legit contender, this anticipation is HUGE. Reliant Stadium is easily one of the top 5 as far as loudest/ most electric stadiums in the country and sells out every game. Oh yeah, the Texans parking lot tailgating was voted the best in the league last year also.

Another thing I want to point out is that the team has been building slowly and consistently over the past few years. So the depth is better than most other teams in the league. This is evidenced by the injuries that were overcome last year. We had our third string rookie QB lead us to a playoff victory last year. By contrast, the Colts lost their QB and finished last in the league.

Also, the team is balanced on offense, and now has strong defense and special teams play. We have lead the league in passing or rushing in alternate years, so opponents can't focus on one aspect and eliminate it.
Now that the defense is a strength also, expectations are sky high.

Plus, ownership has been patient fair when dealing with player contracts. They have not sacrificed future success for flashy trades. The team is in good position to make a run at a Super Bowl for multiple years.

Awesome to hear! Really can't wait for the season to start. Long time UK Texans fans must be really anticipating a great season...

Thanks for the brilliant introduction and welcome to the forum :)

E.G.2802
22.08.2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm pumped for the new season. Can't wait:p
Have a feeling we will do well this season:D

TexansTaylor
24.08.2012, 11:03 AM
glad i can spread some knowledge haha.

and if your not use to the heat i would suggest coming oct-jan, Houston heat is different from regular Texas heat, since we're close to the coast its really humid, so a 100 degree day can feel like a 105 degree day with the humidity, and it also makes you really sticky and gross haha. Texas has really weird weather too.. i remember one christmas it was snowing and later that day i went swimming because it got really hot haha.

I never have used the public transportation that much because i just drive everywere but there are busses and rail systems that will get you everywhere you need to go, you can also get a cab but im not sure if thats any cheaper?

Oct-Jan it is then. Thats lucky as thats when most of the NFL and College Football is played. Result. :D

Cheers for the heads up.

colonelp
24.08.2012, 04:30 PM
To anyone who lives in or who has been to Houston, can you summarise the city for me. I realise it comes down to personal preference but i keep reading contradictory opinions on it. From what i can gather its vast and very sprawling with crazy temperatures. Is it an easy going city? What other city could it be compared to...i have been to Dallas before and wondered if they have much in common?

Im really liking the Texans but I would like to have a connection with the city aswell. Thanks

colonelp
28.08.2012, 08:10 PM
I've just seen this clip, very thought provoking and inspirational. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=zEUtYmwJvJI&NR=1

LoneStarDan
30.08.2012, 04:15 AM
To anyone who lives in or who has been to Houston, can you summarise the city for me. I realise it comes down to personal preference but i keep reading contradictory opinions on it. From what i can gather its vast and very sprawling with crazy temperatures. Is it an easy going city? What other city could it be compared to...i have been to Dallas before and wondered if they have much in common?

Im really liking the Texans but I would like to have a connection with the city aswell. Thanks

its a working city but its nice and clean, of course like all cities it has its good and bad, but its great! plenty of bars, that's all that matters right? haha plenty to do and people are friendly, one of my favorite thing to do is go to concerts, and being that Houston is the 4th biggest city in the US, a lot of bands come though, so your sure to see your favorite bands. has plenty of sports to watch, Texans, our baseball team the Astros(not doing well this season haha), our soccer team the Dynamo(really good, won 2 national championships, were in the championship last year but lost to LA), our basketball team the Rockets(also won 2 NBA championships), our hockey team the Aeros, and plenty of college football too.

also not to far from San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, and New Orleans.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2012/07/26/houston-tops-our-list-of-americas-coolest-cities-to-live/

LoneStarDan
30.08.2012, 04:23 AM
so what does everyone think of the pre season so far? im ready for the regular season to start, and college to start too!

colonelp
30.08.2012, 07:37 AM
Cheers Dan...great reply

rdwngs
30.08.2012, 05:55 PM
I was in Houston in February and was one of my favourite places I've been to. The people there were the friendliest and most welcoming I've ever met. I went to a bar by myself one night and instantly made a bunch of new friends (and that's with me being quite shy!) I'm even going again in February to meet up with a few of the people I met before heading to New Orleans.

I found it different to any other city I've been to in regards to there not being anything to do downtown. Usually you find this is where most things happen but not in Houston. However Midtown, where I was staying, was fantastic. A lot of great bars and food places.

I caught a couple of Aeros games too which was fun. Again, the people at the games were very friendly and had me joining in with the team chants.

All in all, I found it to be a fantastic city and would recommend it to anybody. I was there for 5 days by myself but never once felt alone thanks to the people there :D

E.G.2802
30.08.2012, 06:29 PM
so what does everyone think of the pre season so far? im ready for the regular season to start, and college to start too!

Pre season has gone good. I just can't wait for the regular season to start. Think we can do really really well this season.:D

E.G.2802
30.08.2012, 06:31 PM
I was in Houston in February and was one of my favourite places I've been to. The people there were the friendliest and most welcoming I've ever met. I went to a bar by myself one night and instantly made a bunch of new friends (and that's with me being quite shy!) I'm even going again in February to meet up with a few of the people I met before heading to New Orleans.

I found it different to any other city I've been to in regards to there not being anything to do downtown. Usually you find this is where most things happen but not in Houston. However Midtown, where I was staying, was fantastic. A lot of great bars and food places.

I caught a couple of Aeros games too which was fun. Again, the people at the games were very friendly and had me joining in with the team chants.

All in all, I found it to be a fantastic city and would recommend it to anybody. I was there for 5 days by myself but never once felt alone thanks to the people there :D

That's nice to know as I'm a wee bit shy as well. Great to hear that the people in Houston are kind in friendly.

Definitely going to try to go to a game in the next couple of years:p

rdwngs
30.08.2012, 06:40 PM
That's nice to know as I'm a wee bit shy as well. Great to hear that the people in Houston are kind in friendly.

Definitely going to try to go to a game in the next couple of years:p

Bonus: Everybody I met loved my Scottish accent. Didn't spend a penny on food or drinks for about 2 days cause as soon as people heard my accent they wanted to buy me drinks!

Houston is also the cheapest city in the USA to fly to, I have found!

colonelp
30.08.2012, 09:14 PM
Rdwngs- thanks for the reply. Thats really given me a positive view of Houston and just as importantly its people. Plenty of cities have entertainment without the personalities to go with it. I do like the way that you can walk in to a bar and be welcomed by the locals. Do that in a Uk city and you'll probably get a kickin...joking, but you know what im saying, we dont seem as friendly

LoneStarDan
31.08.2012, 02:32 AM
Rdwngs is absolutely right, downtown is nothing but work buildings and everything to do is around it, i go to midtown a lot which is were all the bars are and you have a nice view of the city at night.

colonelp
31.08.2012, 08:09 AM
Are there any decent bodies of water nearby? Also whats the nearest coastline and beaches like?

NFL_Rich
31.08.2012, 09:39 AM
Colonel - go with the Texans as I have done recently... You know it makes sense ;) .... When they win their first SB we will have followed them before they won anything (afc south aside)... Awesome franchise really on the up... Brilliant passionate Fanbase... Great stadium.... Hop on board!

NFL_Rich
31.08.2012, 09:42 AM
Bonus: Everybody I met loved my Scottish accent. Didn't spend a penny on food or drinks for about 2 days cause as soon as people heard my accent they wanted to buy me drinks!

Houston is also the cheapest city in the USA to fly to, I have found!

Watched the game last night... Your running game and DL looked immense... Secondary looked a bit on the light side ... Texans 3rd string OL and DL didn't look too hot lol

E.G.2802
31.08.2012, 08:24 PM
Can't wait for the season to start.:D

How about you guys?:p

British Bulldawg
01.09.2012, 07:00 PM
Just heard about another Texas fan died yesterday but this time sliding down the escalator at the texans game.

Only a young lad feel for his family.

I was only there last year and that is one big drop from the top of one of them.

NFL_Rich
01.09.2012, 08:01 PM
Just heard about another Texas fan died yesterday but this time sliding down the escalator at the texans game.

I was only there last year and that is one big drop from the top of one of them.

I heard about this over on the Texans forum yesterday. Such a waste of a life. :(

NFL_Rich
01.09.2012, 08:02 PM
Can't wait for the season to start.:D

How about you guys?:p

me too!! Especially now I've purchased gamepass :)

E.G.2802
02.09.2012, 11:47 AM
What college teams do all you guys support as i'm getting into it:D

E.G.2802
02.09.2012, 11:48 AM

It's such a shame.

My thoughts are with him and his family. Also to the man that died at the college game.

LoneStarDan
05.09.2012, 03:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVpx6JN1A4U

im going to be at the game this weekend against university of florida, its going to be INSANE!

also espns college gameday is going to be there so i might be on tv! haha

LoneStarDan
05.09.2012, 03:33 PM
also im in this commercial somewhere haha, it took hours to film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-ZLJoHW1E

LoneStarDan
05.09.2012, 03:45 PM
Are there any decent bodies of water nearby? Also whats the nearest coastline and beaches like?

Galveston is the most popular beach near Houston, it has a lot to do.
plenty of shopping, schlitterbahn water park, moody gardens which has a big aquarium, indoor rain forest and museum in three big pyramids, and brand new pleasure pier which has rides,food and games.

NativeHoustonian
06.09.2012, 06:19 PM
Gig 'Em LoneStarDan!

BTHO Florida!

E.G.2802
06.09.2012, 07:06 PM
Hey guys, it's either Texas A&M, Houston or West Virginia. Not sure yet:D
Will let you guys know:p

rdwngs
06.09.2012, 08:11 PM

Sooners ;) Wouldn't suggest them as a Texans fan though.
Most people I saw around Houston supported Texas A&M. Rice University was right near where I was staying too.

rdwngs
08.01.2013, 01:28 PM
Well only 22 days til I'm back in Houston!

Now that the Vikings are out of the playoffs I'm rooting for the Texans as we'd be there to see the Superbowl parade if they win which would be pretty sweet!