PDA

View Full Version : Here we geaux!

the_walrus
09.08.2012, 11:28 AM
Couldn't see a season predictions thread for us, and most other teams seem to have one, so I thought I'd start one here that, hopefully, won't be filled with Saints-bashing from other fans the way it would if posted elsewhere. So....

How are we going to do this season?
I can see anywhere between 15-1 and 12-4. I'm not very confident about visiting the Packers AGAIN (Seriously, WTF? Shouldn't they at least be coming to us this time? Couldn't we have had the Vikings or at least the Lions?). Given how close the last game was, with an improved D and the same high-octane attack, I wouldn't write this off, but I'd say the odds are against us.

After the way we butchered the Giants last season, and given their 9-7 regular season finish, I think we have what it takes to roll in to NY and shred them again. I don't buy all the Eli love that popped up after the Giants Super Bowl win. He's one of the purest examples of playing hot and cold, on a bad day he can make Blaine Gabbert look like Joe Montana, and there were several examples of this last season. Don't fear the ring, they didn't deserve it, they will NOT repeat or even win their division this year.

49ers - I've looked at this time and time again since it was announced. We've got better defensive personel, we don't have Greg Williams giving up big plays over the middle, we've got most of the same offence. However, we don't have Payton's expertise. I'd favour us because it's in the dome, but that's me being optimistic, we could easily be undresed and corn-holed very quickly here! Sky will blatantly show this one, blocking it out for us Gamepass users, so I'm dreading this week!

I can see the Chiefs surprising people this season, and the Eagles will be tough customers after the shambles of last season and are going to be in win-now mode all the way.

The division has evened out a lot more. The Panthers and Bucs are improving, but I see the Falcons continuing to slide. Bad play-calling from the sideline, terrible form away from home and the loss of their best LB to us will really hurt them in the division, and I can easily see them finish dead last if Josh Freeman returns to form. We'll likley lose one to either the Panthers or Bucs, but I'd say we're unlikley to lose more than 2 division games.

Overall, I'd say we finish 12-4, 13-3 at a push (baring any injuries).

Oh, and if we make the Superbowl we WILL win it, but I wouldn't bet the house on us gett from the Wildcard round to the big game.

Anyone else got other ideas?

DarrenSQh
09.08.2012, 11:40 AM
I would agree with alot of that. The only game i fear a loss is the Packers game in lambeau, the rest are all winnable though.

A huge factor for this season is how much the loss of SP will effect us.

the_walrus
09.08.2012, 11:55 AM
Definatley, and I keep going back and forth on how I feel about that one. Part of me thinks, given how long Brees has been there, and that he helped design the whole offence, and how many key players are back from last year, we should cope pretty well.

Points against: Look what happened without Payton on the sideline when he got injured last season (hope this will be mitigated by having a whole off-season without him to get prep'd!). I think we'll really miss his half-time adjustments, as we always seemed to really explode in the second half and my big fear is that won't happen without him.

Another factor that concerns me is how well Ben Grubbs will do as a replacement for Nicks. Him picking things up quickly will make a big difference given the bullseye Brees will be wearing...

Packman12
09.08.2012, 11:59 AM
Brees to be masterful again
12-4 season
NFC South Champs
defeated by the two seed the 49ers in the divisional round

the_walrus
09.08.2012, 12:58 PM
Sadly, given how easy their schedule is this year and their perfectly placed bye (they get week 9, the Steelers get 4, HOW?) , 49ers will probably be the 1 seed. I'd say they'll be shooting for 14-2, losing @ GB and @ NE. I'd give us 50/50 against them at home, and I'd give the Bears (injury free) the same odds going in to Candlestick. Lions could pull out a miracle but I'd say it's unlikley.

Right now, I can't honestly say who I want to win the Super Bowl less, them or the Falcons, but it seems like the league almost wants the 49ers to win this year.

DarrenSQh
09.08.2012, 01:57 PM
49ers will be a non factor this year is my wild prediction. They wont be as lucky and Alex Smith wont be as good. I just dont see it being repeated. They will probably still win a terrible division though.

the_walrus
09.08.2012, 02:26 PM
I would LOVE that to be the case, and I think that our D will hold up better against them this time. But in terms of their division, I think it's similar to the Pats, they're far enough ahead of the competition that having an average season will be enough to win. Shame really, I'd like to see a team that doesn't have multiple Lombardi's on the wall to make an impact.

WhoDatMonkey87
10.08.2012, 05:07 PM
Ok, this will only be my 2nd season as a Saints fan, so if I'm way off bare with me!
I'm going with 12-4 this season.
We should easily be able to start 3 and 0.
I would like to think we could leave Lambeau 4 and 0, especially after how close it came last season, but I just don't think it'll happen.
We should win the division, but that remains to be seen.
Personally I feel a bit anxious about not having Sean Payton on the sidelines.
Carmichael and Drew Brees can definitely take reasonable care of our offense, but surely we have a head coach for a reason?? Being his coaching mind is better than anybody else's on the coaching staff?
Like I said I'm green with all of this so if anybody has anything to add, please go ahead!

the_walrus
11.08.2012, 08:02 AM
I'd say 12-4 is a pretty fair estimate, but I think we could do better. There are only 2 games I'm going in to the season prepared for us to lose - the 49ers and @Packers

Our schedule is a bit tougher than it was last year, and the bye is earlier which I'm not thrilled about. :(
I'd agree with you on being 3-1 after the game at Lambeau, but I think that game is going to come down to Defense - The Packers' were just dreadful there last year, we weren't great but we're going to be playing with some better scheming rather than just constant blitzing, and we're stronger at LB than the last time we played them. Both offenses are still putting points up on Wednesday morning, so for me that game comes down to which team's D can make plays.

I think Brees and Sproles going back in to San Diego to show them what they let go is going to be a corker, and after watching our humiliating the Giants again last night I think we're going to walk in to Eli's house and take a leak on the rug. Vick could be a nightmare, but he could also completely stall and get nothing done, and we have homefield advantage there. Broncos could be tricky if Manning is healthy and 100%, if not we should slaughter them.

All that said, the Buc's have gotten a lot better in free agency, and the Panthers keep on getting better so we may drop at least one game to one of them based on incidentals.

Then again, I'm an optimist!:D

neer911
22.08.2012, 09:23 PM
Ok, this will only be my 2nd season as a Saints fan, so if I'm way off bare with me!
I'm going with 12-4 this season.
We should easily be able to start 3 and 0.
I would like to think we could leave Lambeau 4 and 0, especially after how close it came last season, but I just don't think it'll happen.
We should win the division, but that remains to be seen.
Personally I feel a bit anxious about not having Sean Payton on the sidelines.
Carmichael and Drew Brees can definitely take reasonable care of our offense, but surely we have a head coach for a reason?? Being his coaching mind is better than anybody else's on the coaching staff?
Like I said I'm green with all of this so if anybody has anything to add, please go ahead!

Likewise, I'm a 2nd year Saints fan. And I'm predicting a 10-6 or 11-5 and a trip to the wildcard match-up as division winners. The schedule is pretty tough this year and the division has caught up a bit to us. But any loss we have will be close. I just have a slightly pessimistic outlook this season. Maybe I've slightly bought into the BountyGate negativity surrounding NOLA? :o