PDA

View Full Version : Hey y'all :) ..Help!...Mr Indecisive! (again)

NFL_Rich
11.08.2012, 10:42 AM
Hey All

lol This will probably be my 3rd or 4th introduction on these boards...Deep breath...ok here goes..

I got into NFL Properly around halfway through last season I think...I flittered between several teams and finally 'settled' recently on the Patriots....thing is (as my wife will attest) I'm so indecisive about this and have probably gone about picking my team completely the wrong way. Some of you will be rolling your eyes at me whilst others will understand and may have gone through the same indecisiveness yourself...

I do enjoy watching the Patriots but also enjoy watching plenty of other teams and learning about them and their histories. I would like to have a team to follow from the start of the season and stick with them. As you can see from my other posts I've been quite indecisive about this team picking thing lol...There are a few things I dislike about the Pats since starting to learn more about them....like the spygate thing and the tuck rule episode...not to mention they are based in a very liberal part of the states....I digress...

This whole episode has brought me to looking at more choices...and at the moment I'm focusing on the Texans....firstly they are the newest team in the NFL...they don't have much history so there's the chance to be part of something new. They have never won a SB and have only had 1 playoff app. I could never be accused of gloryhunting lol...

Anyway the above actually appeals to me...that along with the fact that they are based in a great area of america (and for the most part politically lean the same way as myself) ....their fan base seems really solid and I hear they are friendly. I've tried looking for DVDS and clips but not surprisingly they are in short supply ....

P.s I'm not this indecisive about other areas of life...but this NFL obsession has had 2 effects....given me a real love for the game but left me really confused lol

I haven't decided yet but am open to persuasion. I am looking at other teams too but the Texans and Titans are currently winning

ravenstillidie
11.08.2012, 11:30 AM
Hi mate, I don't know about you, but I found that the longer I took to choose a team, the harder it became. I have got a few work mates in the NFL over the past weeks. One chose the 49ers because he remembers them from the coverage in the 80's, another one chose the Bears. I literally just wrote all the teams down and he liked the bears, and now hes began to learn more about them.

With myself, i've been between teams several times, and in the end I settled with the Ravens. Mostly because of them having a good front office,and I love the water front on Baltimore and more importantly the look of both the Football and Baseball stadiums.

I just found the longer I took, the more I learnt, the more I could see positives and negatives about every team.

I think it could just be the case of biting the bullet, even if your unsure, and after a while you'll find you couldnt imagine yourself supporting anyone else.

The texans would be a good choice, they're a team on the up (which is certainly not bandwagoning) with an exciting offense and a much improved defense. As you say, you will get the chance to witness history with the texans, as they are the newest team, and as you say, they've only ever been to the playoffs once in their history.

NFL_Rich
11.08.2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks :) ...as for the Ravens..I met Ray Lewis @ the fan forum in London recently...best sporting person I ever met! Got a photo with him, an autographed pic and got to ask him a question. Really classy guy who has forever left his mark on my first NFLUK fans event.

mancunian
11.08.2012, 02:52 PM
i think your meeting with Ray Lewis should tell you something. Pick the dirty bird and post your pic with Ray.

jrt55555
11.08.2012, 03:48 PM
I have to agree with Mancunian - when people ask you how you chose the Ravens, to say you came to the decision after meeting Ray Lewis is a pretty great reason. I chose the Eagles because of exciting players like Westbrook, Dawkins and McNabb.

That being said, your post seems to show your heart is pulling you towards the Texans; if so don't fight it. Watch all the games you can of the teams that catch your eye and see which one you end up pulling for the most.

NFL_Rich
11.08.2012, 04:32 PM
I hear what you are both saying...Ray Lewis is a legend and meeting him was a great highlight....The ravens are a great team...but I don't feel inclined to them at all. I'd love to feel a pull towards them for the obvious reason mentioned but Ray Lewis aside they just don't appeal to me ...the team, the stadium, the location et al. Definitely a Lewis fanboy tho lol

jrt55555
11.08.2012, 04:53 PM
Fair enough, you can't force the decision that's for sure.

Well the season's just about to start up anyway so you have plenty of stuff to watch to help you make up your mind. Keep watching the Texans early games and see where it takes you.

NFL_Rich
11.08.2012, 05:13 PM
Fair enough, you can't force the decision that's for sure.

Well the season's just about to start up anyway so you have plenty of stuff to watch to help you make up your mind. Keep watching the Texans early games and see where it takes you.

Thanks mate, will do..Can't wait to watch my first full NFL season, (hopefully will settle on a team by the start). Being a casual observer on and off for years this will be the first time I follow it from start to finish

NFL_Rich
12.08.2012, 07:38 AM
As an aside,the other teams I'm considering are the Titans, the chiefs and my wifes team (Saints).

LAX
12.08.2012, 07:55 AM
Carolina....always welcoming new fans....

NFL_Rich
14.08.2012, 02:46 PM
Ok, no more Mr Indecisive...the reasons I stated above for leaning towards the Texans are good reasons and I'm going to go with them...I also realize that for those who have no geographical tie to a part of the states, it is hard to just 'feel' for a city or state in general having never been.....having said that, there is plenty about the south and especially East Texas that appeals to me...most of all the fact that they are a new team , without any real success thus far (AFC South aside) going into their 11th season REALLY appeals and has swung it for me. I feel I can be part of something, even if it takes years....It'll make it even sweeter if/when they win the SB some year! I'm sure my wife and others will be happy as they were getting fed up of my chopping and changing lol

colonelp
14.08.2012, 06:26 PM
Well done mate. I think you've made a solid choice for the right reasons. I have been going through the same process, like you and many others on here. It's strange but I've never been aware of people delibertaing so much in choosing a team in any other sport, but in NFL it seems quite the norm. Good for you bud.

NFL_Rich
14.08.2012, 09:04 PM
Well done mate. I think you've made a solid choice for the right reasons. I have been going through the same process, like you and many others on here. It's strange but I've never been aware of people delibertaing so much in choosing a team in any other sport, but in NFL it seems quite the norm. Good for you bud.

Thanks dude, 'preciate it :)

Just curious ...have you come close to choosing a team yourself? Who takes your fancy etc?

TexansTaylor
14.08.2012, 09:10 PM
Ok, no more Mr Indecisive...the reasons I stated above for leaning towards the Texans are good reasons and I'm going to go with them...I also realize that for those who have no geographical tie to a part of the states, it is hard to just 'feel' for a city or state in general having never been.....having said that, there is plenty about the south and especially East Texas that appeals to me...most of all the fact that they are a new team , without any real success thus far (AFC South aside) going into their 11th season REALLY appeals and has swung it for me. I feel I can be part of something, even if it takes years....It'll make it even sweeter if/when they win the SB some year! I'm sure my wife and others will be happy as they were getting fed up of my chopping and changing lol

Good choice and welcome

NFL_Rich
14.08.2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks bud ...Looking forward to the coming season :)

LoneStarDan
14.08.2012, 09:15 PM
Nice choice man, you should check out the vid i posted on the other thread of our defense, there so fun to watch.

NFL_Rich
14.08.2012, 09:27 PM
Nice choice man, you should check out the vid i posted on the other thread of our defense, there so fun to watch.

Thanks! Will check it out :)

NFL_Rich
06.09.2012, 12:26 AM
surprise surprise, I'm still indecisive lol...still not 100% sure. Soooo, I bit the bullet and bought gamepass. Having only followed NFL properly for a short time I haven't really seen enough football, teams etc to make a lasting decisive choice and I'm fed up of chopping and changing. I figure gamepass will allow me to watch tons and tons of games this season and allow me to choose a team based on liking the way they play etc rather than just picking for the sake of picking a team. Still a great chance of it being the Texans tho for my original reasons - I fancy them to reach the SB this year.

colonelp
06.09.2012, 12:39 PM
Im with you on this. Im taking everyones advice and letting the team pick me. Im going to watch as many games as i can and see where it takes me, putting logic aside for once. As you said though, i still think the Texans are in the running. I like to think I will know who by week 3 or 4 but no pressure :)

NFL_Rich
07.09.2012, 08:10 AM
Im with you on this. Im taking everyones advice and letting the team pick me. Im going to watch as many games as i can and see where it takes me, putting logic aside for once. As you said though, i still think the Texans are in the running. I like to think I will know who by week 3 or 4 but no pressure :)

Yeah I hear ya!

Edit - Well I've picked my team but will keep it on the DL for now just in case I change again lol (hopefully not)

Buttery
27.10.2012, 12:32 PM
And how are you finding it so far? Any wobbles?

NFL_Rich
27.10.2012, 08:52 PM
And how are you finding it so far? Any wobbles?

Nope - definitely found my team! They got their butts handed to them by the Packers recently and I was bummed out and really furious... I wouldn't feel that way about a team I was indifferent to. Love this team...classy franchise and FO. Fun to watch on both sides of the ball. Bad times will come, as happens with all teams. Just enjoying the ride at the moment though...best team in the AFC. All in all, very happy. :)

edit - for this season at least - see post below lol

Buttery
28.10.2012, 10:53 AM
Nope - definitely found my team! They got their butts handed to them by the Packers recently and I was bummed out and really furious... I wouldn't feel that way about a team I was indifferent to. Love this team...classy franchise and FO. Fun to watch on both sides of the ball. Bad times will come, as happens with all teams. Just enjoying the ride at the moment though...best team in the AFC. All in all, very happy. :)

Glad to hear it! There's a lot to said for patience lol. I guess once you can't fight it any more the decision's been made....

NFL_Rich
03.11.2012, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear it! There's a lot to said for patience lol. I guess once you can't fight it any more the decision's been made....
Edit- well I have come full circle and lo and behold I have changed my mind. Ive been more indecisive than ever in this process - The one team that I still kept coming back to was my first team, the Giants. I love the Texans, their style, their classy front office and their roster. They may well end up in the SB this year or even winning it. Doubts have been creeping in and I realised I would have found it hard to root against the Giants if the 2 met. That helped make my final decison. This is my second season following the NFL proper and first season following from start to finish. This process has been a very indecisive one - hopefully one that will help as I've watched lots of football in the process. Hope to see the Texans in the SB and will be rooting for them to win (as long as its not against the Giants ;) )