PDA

View Full Version : The Falcons won but...but...

ATLFalcon
17.12.2012, 07:21 PM
You know I was feeling pretty good today about how we played against the Giants when I ran across this article (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/17/nfl-morning-after-statement-sunday-or-was-it/#comments).

"1. The Falcons are the best team in the NFC. FALSE: Yes, the Falcons can make the statement that they’re the best team in the conference, both on the strength of their 34-0 win over the Giants and on their status as the team with the best record in the NFC. But the Falcons don’t play that well consistently — let’s not forget that a week earlier, they lost by 10 to a bad Carolina team. I’d pick either the Packers or the 49ers to win at Atlanta in January."

Did this guy even watch the game? Ok 12 and 2 is not consistent...oh wait. Did the Giants magically become a bad team that lucked out against beating GB and SF earlier this year? Yea, that's it the Giants had "insert convenient excuse for losing" and the Falcons just had "insert another excuse for winning"...seems legit to me.

Ok sarcasm aside, I know the Giants have had some injuries. However, they got beat because the Falcons beat them on both sides of the ball. This is what I had been waiting to see from the Falcons. It wasn't so much about making a statement as being able to show what they are capable of when things are going right.

Here's hoping that we carry this over and that the home field advantage works in our favor for winning in the playoffs this year. Maybe it's for the best that the national media hates us for extra motivation.

Devilfalc
17.12.2012, 11:45 PM
The media will never run out of excuses or flat out lies, to avoid giving Atlanta any credit at all.

We suffer 1 bad loss against Caroline and according to media that 1 loss completely defines us, and proves we are rubbish and overrated. SF can't beat the Rams in 2 games, and the media says nothing about it.

We are the only team that isn't allowed to play a close game or lose against a mediocre opponent or lose.

georgia dome
18.12.2012, 08:05 AM
the media will never run out of excuses or flat out lies, to avoid giving atlanta any credit at all.

We suffer 1 bad loss against caroline and according to media that 1 loss completely defines us, and prices we are rubbish and overrated. Sf can't beat the rams in 2 games, and the media says nothing about it.

We are the only team that isn't allowed to play a close game or lose against a mediocre opponent or lose.

yes i agree
rant away falcons fans lets just hope that the playoffs this season are good for us.
Go falcons.............

Packman12
18.12.2012, 08:53 AM
This week was the first time you looked like a genuine Superbowl contender.

But it came at the right time of the year, no limping into the playoffs like the Ravens.

I feel if we drop to the 4th seed and play you in round two we win, but if we avoid you and you actually win a playoff game, I think momentum will carry you to New Orleans.

Imagine the Falcons lifting the Lombardi Trophy in the Superdome of all places!
That is why I picked against you for the Superbowl..........you just cant win in the Superdome!

Ked8910
18.12.2012, 11:35 PM
The Falcons, up until against the Giants (and earlier in the season), don't play well in all phases of the game. If the O' is performing then the D' is giving up yardage. If the D' is making plays then the O' is going three and out.

Luckily the Falcons have played well enough to have a 12-2 record, which is nothing to complain about.

I'm past caring about the media's respect, it has been quite laughable as of late to see what has been used against the Falcons to dampen their success. Some of it can be (sort of) considered legitimate reasoning (lack of post season success), whilst other excuses are just plain "hate".

If the Falcons get HFA, I'll feel quite confident of advancing in the post season at the Georgia Dome and it will be amazing if they manage to win it all - especially on the 'Aints home turf!

Dartmoor Falcon
19.12.2012, 08:18 PM
If we get home field advantage then i think we'll go to New Orleans and win the trophy.

But we need to win our last 2 games to guarantee it.

Scots Warrior
19.12.2012, 09:41 PM
Maybe it's for the best that the national media hates us for extra motivation.

That doesn't work sadly.....:rolleyes:

At 12-2 and a shutout of the Giants only a fool would treat the Falcons lightly IMO.

In a fair world you'll meet the Texans in the SB.

All the Georgie!

steelers_wheelman
20.12.2012, 12:08 AM
Being crucified in the press doesn't tend to do much, players and coaches just like to claim it does so that they have something positive to say when everyone's dumping on them.

Still, I'd much rather see Gonzo getting a ring than listening to San Francisco fanbooys for another 8 months.

Devilfalc
23.12.2012, 11:50 AM
I'm past caring about the media's respect, it has been quite laughable as of late to see what has been used against the Falcons to dampen their success. Some of it can be (sort of) considered legitimate reasoning (lack of post season success), whilst other excuses are just plain "hate".

My problem with the lack of playoff success argument , is that there have been many teams in NFL history who have had difficulty translating regular season success to post seaso success, but I don't remmeber anybody being crucified for it the way we are. The media can't write an article about this team without mentioning it.

If the media want to take a stance that winning in the regular season deserves no respect than that's fine, but treat everyone the same way. Don't fawn over teams and players that can't even reach the playoffs let alone with there, whislt ragging on the falcons becasue we don't have a playoff win.

The other thing with hte media, is that they conveniently ignore the fact that we were screwed by the flawed playoff seedings in all 3 years we lost in the playoffs, and that all 3 teams who beat us went on to win the NFC champsionship. 2 of the 3 went on to win the super bowl (i.e. nobody else could beat them either) and then other lost in the lat minute of the big game.

HSTDriver
23.12.2012, 02:16 PM
The other thing with hte media, is that they conveniently ignore the fact that we were screwed by the flawed playoff seedings in all 3 years we lost in the playoffs, and that all 3 teams who beat us went on to win the NFC champsionship. 2 of the 3 went on to win the super bowl (i.e. nobody else could beat them either) and then other lost in the lat minute of the big game.

B.S

If you think you're good enough to win the Super Bowl then your seeding doesn't matter. The best teams win the big games, no matter who is in front of them, no matter where it is.