PDA

View Full Version : The rebuilding process during the off-season

JamesGall13
21.01.2013, 04:54 PM
Fellow Falcons fans, what areas of the team do you think need addressing? Who'd you let go and who do you want us to resign?

I'll look at our Defense, this is what Id be happy with. Id cut Dunta Robinson and try and resign Willy Mo and Brent Grimes. Next year Id like

DE: Abe
DT: Babs
DT: Get someone in the draft(of Wilforks size if available) Peters will do as back up.
DE: Draft someone here and use Biermann at times.
LB: Spoon
LB: Draft someone here too, would love Alec Ogletree. Dent can be back up.
LB: Nicholas
CB: Asante
FS: DeCoud
SS: Willy Mo, hope we resign him.
CB: Would love Grimes but I think we need another cornerback along with him and McClain.

So overall I think we need a big DT, a DE, a LB and two cornerbacks. I'll do Offense later.

Packman12
21.01.2013, 05:06 PM
I have one serious question as you weren't on Sky much this season, can you win a Superbowl with Mike Smith as Head Coach? His game management perplexes me at times

mattchew
21.01.2013, 05:31 PM
I'm not trolling here , honest.

I think Atlanta have a solid team a good QB, 3 decent WR's and Gonzo.
Their back field needs addressing as Turner has burned out IMO. Rogers
looks ok but needs help spreading the load.
Their D is efficient , well coached,but lacks depth so this should be the
emphasis in the draft and FA.

I'm not sure about Smitty, I don't think he's the guy to take them that
extra step, he's done a great job in Atlanta considering the mess he
walked into, but much of last nights defeat and many of their losses
in big games, I have felt, are down to him.

If Falcon fans want regular season success followed by post season
disappointment, he's your man , but again IMO he seems too nice and
lacks the arrogant streak of a Harbaugh or Payton for example.

I was actually rooting for the Falcs* last night but was frustrated with
the way they eased up (or seemed to ) after they took the big
lead, there's nothing wrong in my mind in running up the score.

*Don't worry I'll get over it !!

JamesGall13
23.01.2013, 01:56 AM
On offense, despite the O-line playing well during the playoffs; I think McClure has to go. The other person that has to go is Michael Turner. This is what Id like to see.

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Draft but not with a 1st or 2nd rounder, use Quizz and possible Snelling
TE: Hope Gonzo for one more year but if not Id like either Keller from Jets or Finley from Packers.
WR: Julio, Roddy, Douglas and draft or use FA to get a 4th receiver.
LT: Sam Baker (Resign him he has earnt it) and Svitek as back up.
LG: Bialock is our man, never seems to miss a game.
C: Konz as starter and Hawley.
RG: Id move Tyson Clabo over to RG to beef up the line, Reynolds will be a solid back up IMO.
RT: Id be prepared to give Lamar Holmes a chance here letting him compete with TD scoring Mike Johnson.

Your thoughts guys??

JamesGall13
25.01.2013, 11:35 PM
Looking at Running Back, Id change my post from using a draft pick and Id take Reggie Bush.

Stubbsy #21
26.01.2013, 10:46 AM
I'm not trolling here , honest.

I think Atlanta have a solid team a good QB, 3 decent WR's and Gonzo.
Their back field needs addressing as Turner has burned out IMO. Rogers
looks ok but needs help spreading the load.
Their D is efficient , well coached,but lacks depth so this should be the
emphasis in the draft and FA.

I'm not sure about Smitty, I don't think he's the guy to take them that
extra step, he's done a great job in Atlanta considering the mess he
walked into, but much of last nights defeat and many of their losses
in big games, I have felt, are down to him.

If Falcon fans want regular season success followed by post season
disappointment, he's your man , but again IMO he seems too nice and
lacks the arrogant streak of a Harbaugh or Payton for example.

I was actually rooting for the Falcs* last night but was frustrated with
the way they eased up (or seemed to ) after they took the big
lead, there's nothing wrong in my mind in running up the score.

*Don't worry I'll get over it !!

Bet you felt so dirty after that you had to have a shower or something! :D

On offense I'd like to see us address Running Back through Free Agency and Reggie Bush could be an option. Any Rb we do get needs to be able to catch passes and Reggie can do that. Alternatively if we're to draft one I like Stepfan Taylor out of Stanford or Mike Gillislee out of Florida. I'd also like to see us look at a TE in FA and Dustin Keller or Jared Cook from Tennessee would be my choices. Cook I feel is particularly underutilised there. We could also draft one with Zach Ertz from Stanford or Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame being possibilities. I'd agree with what's been said about the O-Line. I think McClure needs to hang it up and we slide Peter Konz over from RG. There's a couple of decent Guards we could pick up in the draft with Chance Warmack from Alabama or Larry Warford from Kentucky both possibilities.

On Defense we need more Pass Rush and then some more Pass rush and I'd go after that both in FA and the draft. Not sure who's out there in free agency (Freeney? Umenyiora?) but in the draft I could see us taking a look at Alex Okafor out of Texas or Margus Hunt out of SMU. I'd also like a massive space eating DT although that partly depends on whether we're looking to transition to a 3-4. Getting Jesse Williams from Alabama in the draft would be nice but I'm not sure if it's our number 1 priority.

Devilfalc
26.01.2013, 01:38 PM
Don't get your hopes up over any marquee free agents. Our cap space will be used to resign Moore and to extend Ryan's contract. Beyond that we may add 1 or 2 mid-level guys, but that's it.

As for the draft, we have a bunch of needs: DE, TE, MLB, DT, RB , OT, OG. Thanksfully we have full complement of picks this year, and should get some compensatory picks as well, inclusing a mid-rounder for losing Lofton.

JamesGall13
26.01.2013, 01:46 PM
Don't get your hopes up over any marquee free agents. Our cap space will be used to resign Moore and to extend Ryan's contract. Beyond that we may add 1 or 2 mid-level guys, but that's it.

As for the draft, we have a bunch of needs: DE, TE, MLB, DT, RB , OT, OG. we have full complement of picks this year, and should get some compensatory picks as well, inclusing a mid-rounder for losing Lofton.

Ya true, Id like to resign Baker though too. Get rid of McClure, We really need Gonzo to stay. Cutting Dunta Robinson would free up $8 million of Cap Room.

Devilfalc
27.01.2013, 05:36 PM
I have one serious question as you weren't on Sky much this season, can you win a Superbowl with Mike Smith as Head Coach? His game management perplexes me at times

I don't think we can. Smith does a lot of things well, but his conservtive approach is also the reaosn that we struggle to put teams away, and some of his decisions at the end of games are mindbogling.

I believe that his decison to play our starters in Wk 17, resulting in John Abraham getting injured at the end of the game, probably cost us the SB this year.

mattchew
28.01.2013, 05:13 PM
Bet you felt so dirty after that you had to have a shower or something! :D

On offense I'd like to see us address Running Back through Free Agency and Reggie Bush could be an option. Any Rb we do get needs to be able to catch passes and Reggie can do that. Alternatively if we're to draft one I like Stepfan Taylor out of Stanford or Mike Gillislee out of Florida. I'd also like to see us look at a TE in FA and Dustin Keller or Jared Cook from Tennessee would be my choices. Cook I feel is particularly underutilised there. We could also draft one with Zach Ertz from Stanford or Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame being possibilities. I'd agree with what's been said about the O-Line. I think McClure needs to hang it up and we slide Peter Konz over from RG. There's a couple of decent Guards we could pick up in the draft with Chance Warmack from Alabama or Larry Warford from Kentucky both possibilities.

On Defense we need more Pass Rush and then some more Pass rush and I'd go after that both in FA and the draft. Not sure who's out there in free agency (Freeney? Umenyiora?) but in the draft I could see us taking a look at Alex Okafor out of Texas or Margus Hunt out of SMU. I'd also like a massive space eating DT although that partly depends on whether we're looking to transition to a 3-4. Getting Jesse Williams from Alabama in the draft would be nice but I'm not sure if it's our number 1 priority.

Yeah a good scrub with tomato juice did the job!

As for Reggie he didn't enjoy the turf in the dome , had trouble planting and cutting
so wasn't surprised he did well in Miami, he also had 3 injuries which didn't help his
cause and the heavy pass load made his running stats look poor for a #2 pick.
I still have a soft spot for #25 so it would sting a little seeing him in Atlanta.
I reckon little Quiz can do the running/catching job like Sproles ,you need either a
bruiser or a commitee to rotate the carries IMO. Has Norwood got much left in him?
Also do you think letting Ovie go was a poor decision in hindsight?

JamesGall13
28.01.2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah a good scrub with tomato juice did the job!

As for Reggie he didn't enjoy the turf in the dome , had trouble planting and cutting
so wasn't surprised he did well in Miami, he also had 3 injuries which didn't help his
cause and the heavy pass load made his running stats look poor for a #2 pick.
I still have a soft spot for #25 so it would sting a little seeing him in Atlanta.
I reckon little Quiz can do the running/catching job like Sproles ,you need either a
bruiser or a commitee to rotate the carries IMO. Has Norwood got much left in him?
Also do you think letting Ovie go was a poor decision in hindsight?

Norwood is finished, he has been a free agent for ages. Same with Ovie Injuries ruined him. As for our RB position, Id look at Ivory from ye as an option too.

Stubbsy #21
28.01.2013, 09:47 PM
I've seen it mentioned (although not on here) that FB is a need. I'm not so sure I'd like to see what we've got in Bradie Ewing who we drafted last year but got injured early on and spent the year on IR.

For our draft I think it'll be defensively orientated so we can get some cogs that fit Mike Nolan's system. In recent years we've been poor to say the least in picking up Defensive Ends so I'd like to see us use a relatively high pick on one - 1st round pick if necessary and go for someone in Free Agency that's a proven commodity at rushing the passer. Our coverage wasn't great in the playoffs but you try covering Receivers for 5 plus seconds on a consistent basis - someone will get open!

JamesGall13
28.01.2013, 10:29 PM
I've seen it mentioned (although not on here) that FB is a need. I'm not so sure I'd like to see what we've got in Bradie Ewing who we drafted last year but got injured early on and spent the year on IR.

For our draft I think it'll be defensively orientated so we can get some cogs that fit Mike Nolan's system. In recent years we've been poor to say the least in picking up Defensive Ends so I'd like to see us use a relatively high pick on one - 1st round pick if necessary and go for someone in Free Agency that's a proven commodity at rushing the passer. Our coverage wasn't great in the playoffs but you try covering Receivers for 5 plus seconds on a consistent basis - someone will get open!

Me too, Id like to see what he can offer us but he isn't the biggest so I doubt he'll be good for run blocking. True our coverage looked worse cause of the nonexistent pass rush but I do think LB and CB (If Grimes leaves) are needs also. Not to mention DT unless Robertson and Walker can improve as back ups hugely.

Stubbsy #21
28.01.2013, 10:51 PM
Me too, Id like to see what he can offer us but he isn't the biggest so I doubt he'll be good for run blocking. True our coverage looked worse cause of the nonexistent pass rush but I do think LB and CB (If Grimes leaves) are needs also. Not to mention DT unless Robertson and Walker can improve as back ups hugely.

See all I think we need in terms of a DT is a big space eater sort of like a Vince Wilfork. Robertson has looked ok in the snaps he's got so would like to see his role expanded. Corey Peters and Vance Walker are never going to be stars but are useful players. Babineaux has been good but he's not getting any younger. Couple of names I've seen are Brandon Williams (Missouri Southern State), Jesse Williams (Alabama), Sylvester Williams (UNC) - sensing a theme here? :D There's also John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers from Georgia who measure up size wise although Jenkins probably won't still be around at pick #30.

JamesGall13
28.01.2013, 11:20 PM
See all I think we need in terms of a DT is a big space eater sort of like a Vince Wilfork. Robertson has looked ok in the snaps he's got so would like to see his role expanded. Corey Peters and Vance Walker are never going to be stars but are useful players. Babineaux has been good but he's not getting any younger. Couple of names I've seen are Brandon Williams (Missouri Southern State), Jesse Williams (Alabama), Sylvester Williams (UNC) - sensing a theme here? :D There's also John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers from Georgia who measure up size wise although Jenkins probably won't still be around at pick #30.

Good post, opening this thread I said I wanted a massive DT and Jesse Williams IMO is that guy. Id go round one for him, round two DE and round three a MLB. The only problem is I doubt we'll be to get a big DT after the 1st round. Im intrigued to see what we do about MLB, covering tightends has been a problem going back to the Lofton days.

primetime90
04.02.2013, 05:37 PM
Here is an article i wrote on the Falcons off season needs:

http://www.zennie62blog.com/2013/01/28/the-atlanta-falcons-2013-off-season-needs-82662/tg/

Domed Outter
04.02.2013, 05:50 PM
I can see us looking to get a DT in FA. Other than that I can't see us chasing any other position.

For the draft I think the first pick will be DE/LB/OG. If they don't bring in a DT then that might push the likeliness of that.

The most interesting aspect of FA to me is what the front office does in terms of whether they cut Robinson or not. Freeing up some cap room by cutting Dunta, and perhaps signing Grimes to a cheaper deal now that he's had his season-ending injury.

JamesGall13
07.02.2013, 08:16 PM
I can see us looking to get a DT in FA. Other than that I can't see us chasing any other position.

For the draft I think the first pick will be DE/LB/OG. If they don't bring in a DT then that might push the likeliness of that.

The most interesting aspect of FA to me is what the front office does in terms of whether they cut Robinson or not. Freeing up some cap room by cutting Dunta, and perhaps signing Grimes to a cheaper deal now that he's had his season-ending injury.

Hope we don't go O-Line in the first 3 rounds anyway. Use what we have, I want us to draft a Big DT in the 1st or 2nd. Id cut Dunta and try and resign Grimes but rumours are Dunta will be restructured. Leaving Grimes to move on from us. LB was the biggest worry in the post season along with DE

ianuk
08.02.2013, 12:28 PM
Drafting O-Line in the first three rounds is a complete waste. The talent level between round one and day three is minimal, look at Sam Baker drafted 21st in 2008.

The O-Line does need improving but this can be done through the later rounds of the draft or FA, I am still unsure is we need someone at RB while it's clear Turner is no longer the talent he used to be I feel Quizz and Snelling should be good enough considering we are now a pass first team. Douglas does not seem to have progressed as we would have hoped so a receiver to offer some competition at number 3 would be also be good. I am still hoping that TG plays one more year and a top TE would be an ideal apprentice but not from the first two rounds.

The first two rounds we need to concentrate on defence a top DE would be nice to share the load with Abraham but we all know the risks of drafting DE in the first round.

JamesGall13
11.02.2013, 08:49 PM
Apparently William Moore wants to test Free Agency, wants a move back to Missouri (Chiefs or Rams).

JamesGall13
19.02.2013, 08:51 PM
There were rumours today, that Gonzo might comeback. If he does, I think that decides whether we have a real SB chance or not TBH. He is a huge part of the Offense, like Welker in New England, we need this guy.

Domed Outter
20.02.2013, 09:17 AM
There were rumours today, that Gonzo might comeback. If he does, I think that decides whether we have a real SB chance or not TBH. He is a huge part of the Offense, like Welker in New England, we need this guy.

Agreed. I also think we still need to look at drafting a TE in the 3rd/4th.

Still thinking that we'll trade back, given an offer.

JamesGall13
24.02.2013, 01:10 PM
Agreed. I also think we still need to look at drafting a TE in the 3rd/4th.

Still thinking that we'll trade back, given an offer.
Yeah many of our fans seem to think we'll trade back. Id be open to it we got another 2nd and 4th or something like that. Tight End and Running Back need to be addressed in the mid rounds. Lattinore may be worth a look at.

Domed Outter
24.02.2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah many of our fans seem to think we'll trade back. Id be open to it we got another 2nd and 4th or something like that. Tight End and Running Back need to be addressed in the mid rounds. Lattinore may be worth a look at.

I'd say if we can trade back to the late 30s, flip to an early 4th and gain a 3rd then we're rolling.

Stubbsy #21
24.02.2013, 09:55 PM
If we're looking Mid round for a TE then a name I've been hearing a bit is Gavin Escobar from San Diego State.

JamesGall13
26.02.2013, 08:46 AM
There were rumours we were interested in Shonn Greene, seriously hope it is not true. Don't rate him at all.

Stubbsy #21
26.02.2013, 01:45 PM
There were rumours we were interested in Shonn Greene, seriously hope it is not true. Don't rate him at all.

Agreed - if Steven Jackson parts company with the Rams I'd bring him in on a one to two year deal dependent on how much he wants.

JamesGall13
01.03.2013, 02:04 PM
Adam Schefter on twitter just tweeted this.
"Major moves in ATL: Falcons are releasing CB Dunta Robinson, RB Michael Turner and DE John Abraham today."

Shocked that we are releasing Abe, why? Madness.

ianuk
01.03.2013, 02:56 PM
"Major moves in ATL: Falcons are releasing CB Dunta Robinson, RB Michael Turner and DE John Abraham today."

I am surprised at Robinson and Abraham being released but Turner has been expected since last season. I can only assume that Grimes is expected to resign and we are going to be drafting a top DE. Still hope S. Jackson signs to replace Turner as our number one back.

P.S. our salary cap has significantly improved as well. $15.9m a season if the rumours were correct.

ianuk
01.03.2013, 03:15 PM
Some reports from the official message board from fans in relation to the reasoning for the moves:

Defence switched to a 3-4.

Matt Ryan expecting a monster contract.

Estimated between $20-$25 million under cap limit.

Although Jackson is a great back I am not sure why we should sign him with both Quizz and Snelling in the team. Quizz showed last year he can become a number one back and Snelling is good enogh to support him.

Switch in defence makes sense with Atlanta looking at Line Backers in the draft but there is also a deep talent pool (by this years standard) of DE's.

JamesGall13
01.03.2013, 03:32 PM
Some reports from the official message board from fans in relation to the reasoning for the moves:

Defence switched to a 3-4.

Matt Ryan expecting a monster contract.

Estimated between $20-$25 million under cap limit.

Although Jackson is a great back I am not sure why we should sign him with both Quizz and Snelling in the team. Quizz showed last year he can become a number one back and Snelling is good enogh to support him.

Switch in defence makes sense with Atlanta looking at Line Backers in the draft but there is also a deep talent pool (by this years standard) of DE's.

Ya I saw the talk on there about the 3-4 defense. Would make sense with Abe's release. Massaquoi our 5th round pick last year was an excellent OLB in college too.

Domed Outter
01.03.2013, 04:31 PM

We have to think long term. I expected maybe Babineux to be cut.

Could be car crash TV for our D for next season.

JamesGall13
01.03.2013, 07:15 PM
We have to think long term. I expected maybe Babineux to be cut.

Could be car crash TV for our D for next season.

He has to stay, he can play DE and DT. Think the Abraham and Dunta(If Grimes ain't resigned) cuts could really be costly. Handed the NFC South to the Saints imo today unless we replace Abe with top class pass rushers.

Just have to add, What other team would cut their best pass rusher? No other team would. Dimitroff cant draft a defensive player to save his life either, Idiot.

Devilfalc
01.03.2013, 11:25 PM
After the way we gave away a world title last season, I can't say I care right now. Ths team had zero chance of winning a Lombardi whilst Mike Smith is our HC.

His game day decisions and gutless play not to lose mentality is a huge liability.

JamesGall13
01.03.2013, 11:28 PM
After the way we gave away a world title last season, I can't say I care right now. Ths team had zero chance of winning a Lombardi whilst Mike Smith is our HC.

His game day decisions and gutless play not to lose mentality is a huge liability.

He is a very good coach and If you cannot see that TD's lack of draft picks on defense is our down fall then I don't know what to say.

Devilfalc
02.03.2013, 01:08 PM
He is a very good coach and If you cannot see that TD's lack of draft picks on defense is our down fall then I don't know what to say.

He's a horrible HC. Our inability to put games away and repeated playoff no-shows are a reflection of Smith's gutless approach. He's so scared of making mistakes, that it paralyses his game day decison making. He plays not to lose rather than coaching to make the plays to put games away. He's a liability. As for playing Abe late in a pointless whk 17 game, I still can't think of worse coaching decison in the last 25+ years.

You're not wrong about the lack of defensive picks, but that is a direct result of trading the best part of 2 years' picks away for a WR, when it was our 5th or 6th biggest need at the time. Julio Jones is a good football player, but the trade was a horrible move because of the cost. It cost us any chance to significantly upgrade the D or OL for 2 seasons. Most Falcons fans want to have their cake and eat it. The love the trade for Julio Jones, but then blast TD for not being able to build a defense and OL with the low value picks we had left.

ianuk
02.03.2013, 01:27 PM
Smith is the second most successful coach for most wins over a five year period in the history of the NFL.

The problem was outlined by an analyst after the Dallas game this season. Smith is very conservative which is great for racking up regular season wins, Atlanta's play is consistant and they do not make many mistakes but they also do not make many explosive/big plays which seems is what is needed to win the tight playoff games.

Falcon fans need to ask themselves do they want to be regular participants in the playoffs or occasional participants in the playoffs with a greater possibility of winning.

Devilfalc
02.03.2013, 01:48 PM
Smith is the second most successful coach for most wins over a five year period in the history of the NFL.

The problem was outlined by an analyst after the Dallas game this season. Smith is very conservative which is great for racking up regular season wins, Atlanta's play is consistant and they do not make many mistakes but they also do not make many explosive/big plays which seems is what is needed to win the tight playoff games.

Falcon fans need to ask themselves do they want to be regular participants in the playoffs or occasional participants in the playoffs with a greater possibility of winning.

The probelm is, when we get ahead by 2 scores in a game, our whole mentality shifts. The focus then becomes "let's not turn the ball over offensively", and "let's not give up a big play defesively". We are content to run clock even if it means going 3 and out, and defenisvely we are happy to sit back in soft zones and get picked apart, as long as we aren't giving up in 1 big play.

That's fine if you are 14 ahead with 5 min to go, but not in the 2nd or 3rd quarter in the playoffs, or when facing an elite QB. We've done it and got away with it for 5 years now. It was always going to come back and get us at some stage, and that was the NFCCG. We handed SF a game that should have been ours.

As for Smith's conservatism, look no firther than the 2011 playoffs. The offensive gameplan against NY was an absolute joke. We spent 60 mins running Turner and throwing 3-4 yard passes underneath the coverage, and didn't even look to test the Giants D in the medium or deep passing game. Our 11-5 team clearly didn't even believe that it could win, against a team that was 9-7 in the regular season and 4-4 at home. It was the most gutless offensive gameplan I've even seen. It may have been devised by Mike Mularkey, but it was clearly approved by Mike Smith as Head Coach.

ianuk
02.03.2013, 01:53 PM
The probelm is, when we get ahead by 2 scores in a game, our whole mentality shifts. The focus then becomes "let's not turn the ball over offensively", and "let's not give up a big play defesively". We are content to run clock even if it means going 3 and out, and defenisvely we are happy to sit back in soft zones and get picked apart, as long as we aren't giving up in 1 big play.

That's fine if you are 14 ahead with 5 min to go, but not in the 2nd or 3rd quarter in the playoffs, or when facing an elite QB. We've done it and got away with it for 5 years now. It was always going to come back and get us at some stage, and that was the NFCCG. We handed SF a game that should have been ours.

As for Smith's conservatism, look no firther than the 2011 playoffs. The offensive gameplan against NY was an absolute joke. We spent 60 mins running Turner and throwing 3-4 yard passes underneath the coverage, and didn't even look to test the Giants D in the medium or deep passing game. Our 11-5 team clearly didn't even believe that it could win, against a team that was 9-7 in the regular season and 4-4 at home. It was the most gutless offensive gameplan I've even seen. It may have been devised by Mike Mularkey, but it was clearly approved by Mike Smith as Head Coach.

I agree completely but I am just not sure who we could replace him with.

JamesGall13
02.03.2013, 02:01 PM
I agree completely but I am just not sure who we could replace him with.

This is it, If we replace him, we're not guaranteed success.

JamesGall13
02.03.2013, 09:02 PM
With Walker, Sidbury, Peters, Owens, Moore and Hope all being UFAs, our defense currently looks like this. Jesus, it looks bloody grim. Worst defense in the league at the moment looking at that, oh except Saints.

RE Massaquoi, Matthews
DT Babineaux, Jerry
NT Peters, Robertson
LE Biermann
ROLB Spoon, James
MLB Dent
LOLB Nicholas
RCB McClain, Franks
LCB Samuel
FS Decoud
SS Mitchell

Stubbsy #21
09.03.2013, 01:45 PM
William Moore resigned on a 5 year deal via Adam Schefter on twitter - link to come.

JamesGall13
09.03.2013, 02:58 PM
William Moore resigned on a 5 year deal via Adam Schefter on twitter - link to come.

Yeah, this is great news IMO. I want to resign Baker and then hopefully Gonzo comes back but I wish he'd decide already.

ianuk
09.03.2013, 05:26 PM
Yeah, this is great news IMO. I want to resign Baker and then hopefully Gonzo comes back but I wish he'd decide already.

Still not sure about Baker he only seems to play well in the last year of his contract.

JamesGall13
13.03.2013, 12:25 AM
With William Moore signed to a new long term contract, Brent Grimes to a 1 year deal and Gonzo back for one more year; I reckon its been a good day for us. Our defense is coming together. Grimes, Samuel, McClain and hopefully Owens if he is resigned as our cornerbacks is a nice group in my opinion. Add a line backer, a nose tackle and a defensive end or two and I think we are all set on defense. I saw that we were linked with Richard Seymour but that may just be a rumour.

For offense, after McClure announced his retirement, I think we have to resign Sam Baker but I hope Bushrods contract with the Bears doesn't make him demand for too much money. Get Steven Jackson or someone in the draft and that is us sorted I think.

orientnut
17.03.2013, 10:25 AM
Steven Jackson signing is huge, exactly what us Falcons needed. Turner was looking old and washed up. Quizz is dangerous, but still learning. Just need a pass rusher and a replacement for Dunta and for me we'll be ready. 16-1 odds is very good price, I suggest people snap up those odds

JamesGall13
28.03.2013, 01:17 AM
Osi Umenyiora just signed a two year deal with us. Im happy to be honest, wish the contract was longer. Draft a defensive end in the first 2 rounds and that will do me for that position.

Dartmoor Falcon
28.03.2013, 07:19 PM
Good news, other than the DT what other positions do you think we need to fill?

JamesGall13
28.03.2013, 08:29 PM
Good news, other than the DT what other positions do you think we need to fill?

I think these are the three positions we need to strengthen the most other then Defensive tackle. If we did draft a safety. DeCoud and Moore still starters; drafted safety would be used in nickel/goal line packages.

-Cornerback
-Linebacker/Safety to cover oppositions Tight Ends
-Defensive End

falcon_91
04.04.2013, 09:54 PM
WE have signed LB Brian Banks

He was a stand out LB in high school who was sentenced to jail for **** when he was 17, despite being innocent, he was advised to plead guilty and ended up spending 5 years in jail. He has since been exhonerated (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50143485n) when he got proof that the girl was lying over facebook and was working hard to get on a team.

Think everyone will join me in having a new favourite guy who is hoping to make the team!

Dartmoor Falcon
05.04.2013, 06:18 PM
WE have signed LB Brian Banks

He was a stand out LB in high school who was sentenced to jail for **** when he was 17, despite being innocent, he was advised to plead guilty and ended up spending 5 years in jail. He has since been exhonerated (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50143485n) when he got proof that the girl was lying over facebook and was working hard to get on a team.

Think everyone will join me in having a new favourite guy who is hoping to make the team!

To true the guy deserves to have a career, and I hope he makes it with us.

JamesGall13
06.04.2013, 12:42 PM
It is great that Banks has got a chance to achieve his dream. I hope he can make the roster. Are you guys surprised by Clabo being cut? Would you rather Holmes/Johnson or a draftee to replace him?

Dartmoor Falcon
07.04.2013, 08:55 AM
It is great that Banks has got a chance to achieve his dream. I hope he can make the roster. Are you guys surprised by Clabo being cut? Would you rather Holmes/Johnson or a draftee to replace him?

I'd give Holmes/Johnson a chance.

Domed Outter
07.04.2013, 03:29 PM
I don't think they'd have released Clabo if they weren't confident that we'd got someone already on the squad.

JamesGall13
09.04.2013, 03:34 PM
I just hope we don't have to spend an early draft pick on an O-Line man. D-Line and Cornerback is a must.

JamesGall13
18.04.2013, 09:41 PM
Talk of us trading up, possibly even into the top 10. You guys for that move? I am for it as long as we don't have to give up more then this years 1st, 2nd and possibly a 4th next year. If Mike Nolan and Dimitroff think one player can have a huge impact then make it happen. Dion Jordan and Dee Milliner being talked about.

Domed Outter
19.04.2013, 11:23 AM
Talk of us trading up, possibly even into the top 10. You guys for that move? I am for it as long as we don't have to give up more then this years 1st, 2nd and possibly a 4th next year. If Mike Nolan and Dimitroff think one player can have a huge impact then make it happen. Dion Jordan and Dee Milliner being talked about.

The only players I could see us trading up that far for would be either of the guards, and Jordan.

I hope we don't trade up at all.

Dartmoor Falcon
19.04.2013, 09:11 PM
We have to trust the coaches, but my personal feeling is we shouldn't.

JamesGall13
19.04.2013, 09:40 PM
There seems to be plenty of good cornerbacks in this draft, so unsure as to why we'd trade up so much.

Dartmoor Falcon
26.04.2013, 07:14 AM
I just hope we don't have to spend an early draft pick on an O-Line man. D-Line and Cornerback is a must.

Well we've got our Cornerback.

JamesGall13
26.04.2013, 04:45 PM
Hopefully we go defensive end with our 2nd round pick. Okafor could be available, if so Id take him.

JamesGall13
27.04.2013, 02:06 AM
So with our 2nd round pick, we drafted CB Robert Alford. He looks like a decent pick but after hearing TD say this "We had some positions targeted but things didn't work out", I can't pretend I am not worried. We should of got a Defensive End by now in my opinion.

Devilfalc
27.04.2013, 06:55 AM
I'm not bothered abut DE. We have 2 veterans earning starting money, and 2 developmental guys in Mass and Matthews that the coaches seem excited about. I' m not saying we don't have scope to improve, but we can make do and its not a desperate need IMO.

DT is a bigger issue, as Peters, Babs and Jerry are gong to be UFA's in 2014. Peters will be costly, and I'm not convinced that the ethers are worth keeping. We need to draft a DT, who we can get ready for 2014.

I also consider LB to be bigger need than DE right now.

Stubbsy #21
27.04.2013, 09:42 AM
There's still defensive talent to be had. Okafor is still on the board as is Jesse Williams if we want to go DT. There's LB as well from Khaseem Greene to Sean Porter or if we want a coverage LB then Jelani Jenkins.

Here's hoping someone still has John Abraham's number on speed dial :D

ianuk
27.04.2013, 10:40 AM
Not sure about the draft so far, we have drafted for need and TD and the scouts will have much more knowledge than me on these players so I put my trust in them that our secondary is much improved. Still some good DT's and DE's available but I don't expect them to be their in round 4.

On a side note the seasonal average for Flacco's contract is $20.1 and Rodgers is $22m. What are the chances that before the season starts Ryan signs a new deal averaging $21m?

Stubbsy #21
27.04.2013, 11:53 AM
New contract shouldn't average $21m. There's something that both those players have that Matt Ryan doesn't. If we're sitting here next year and that's changed then it might be a possibility.

ianuk
27.04.2013, 12:04 PM
New contract shouldn't average $21m. There's something that both those players have that Matt Ryan doesn't. If we're sitting here next year and that's changed then it might be a possibility.

I agree with you about the Super bowls but the general consensus from the media in particular is that Ryan is a better long term player then Flacco, I think that he was rated second best QB under 30 just behind Rodgers.

JamesGall13
27.04.2013, 01:59 PM
There's still defensive talent to be had. Okafor is still on the board as is Jesse Williams if we want to go DT. There's LB as well from Khaseem Greene to Sean Porter or if we want a coverage LB then Jelani Jenkins.

Here's hoping someone still has John Abraham's number on speed dial :D

I think we need a coverage linebacker, as for Abraham, he better be coming back or I don't think our pass rush has really improved. I think Ryan's contract will be around $21 million.

Dartmoor Falcon
27.04.2013, 05:37 PM
Well the first of our 4th round picks is in and its DE Malliciah Goodman, Clemson.

Dartmoor Falcon
27.04.2013, 05:59 PM
and our second 4th round is Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford

Dartmoor Falcon
27.04.2013, 07:03 PM
Our next pick another DE Stansly Maponga, TCU

JamesGall13
27.04.2013, 09:39 PM
I really hope TJ Barnes falls to us but I doubt he will. 26 stone and '6' 6". A guy that size would surely be useful in the rotation at DT.

JamesGall13
30.04.2013, 05:25 PM
How did you think our draft went?

I like the two corner backs taken but we didn't address defensive tackle or linebacker which disappointed me. Solid draft but our pass rush issues will remain :(

Domed Outter
04.05.2013, 05:16 PM
Good draft. Should have the backfield sorted for a good few years.

DTs that are in the final year of their contract, and leaves us prime to take at least one in the draft next , along with a couple of linebackers and a wide receiver.

The only pick I'd question is the tight end from Stanford.

JamesGall13
05.05.2013, 01:14 PM
Good draft. Should have the backfield sorted for a good few years.

DTs that are in the final year of their contract, and leaves us prime to take at least one in the draft next , along with a couple of linebackers and a wide receiver.

The only pick I'd question is the tight end from Stanford.

He should be a good red zone threat though. Injuries would be the worry. Looks like Goodman could be a starter.

Dartmoor Falcon
06.05.2013, 09:33 AM
I think the TE we drafted could come along nicely during the season, especially if he can learn from Gonzo.

JamesGall13
07.05.2013, 12:14 AM
Starting Defense
This would be my starting defense. Im high on Dent, I think he'll come on a lot this year. Hope Osi, Biermann, Matthews, Massaquoi and Goodman can create a pass rush. Robertson should see rotational snaps at defensive tackle. McClain would be my nickel corner with Alford in for dime situations. Maybe using Motta the safety we drafted at LB to cover tightened could stop the problem. Been talked about as an option.

RDE: Osi
DT: Babineaux
NT: Peters
LDE: Biermann
LB: Nicholas
MLB: Dent
LB: Spooooon
CB: Trufant
FS: DeCoud
SS: Will Moe
CB: Asante Samuel

What do you guys think? Especially at DE, who'd be your starters?

ianuk
07.05.2013, 09:32 AM
The defence looks okay when you consider the depth, but still concerned about the DE situation. Osi is ageing so could either be spectacular or terrible, never been high on Bab's as a starter and the rest are all rookies who could prove to be top DE's and set this team up nicely for future seasons.

I have just seen this message on the official Falcons message board:
ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas suggests the Falcons could make a run at free agent DL Richard Seymour after June 1.
The Falcons can free up cap space with a Matt Ryan extension, and after June 1 they'll also have $4.5 million more to work with because Tyson Clabo's release was classified as a post-June 1 move. Yasinskas names Seymour as a possible post-June 1 signing, "or an experienced linebacker." (Karlos Dansby?)

JamesGall13
07.05.2013, 09:53 PM
I think Babs is a great player. Can play inside or out and he plays them both well. I would be happy for Seymour to come as long as Peria Jerry would be the man to be cut/loss out on snaps. Don't want Dansby. Crap in coverage, we don't need more linebackers like that.

JamesGall13
15.05.2013, 08:39 PM
Starting Offense
This is the Offense Id like to see week one. Id have Toilolo as the number two Tightend behind Gonzalez. He looks like a very good run blocker so for running plays Id have him in instead of Gonzo. Id give Ewing the starting job at Fullback. I hope Holmes starts at right tackle too. Im not a fan of 'Arry Douglas and think Drew Davis would be a better slot receiver then him.

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: S Jax
FB: Ewing
WRs: White and Julio
TE1: Gonzo
TE2: Toilolo
Slot WR: Davis
LT: Baker
LG: Bialock
C: Konz
RG: Reynolds
RT: Holmes

JamesGall13
01.06.2013, 02:10 AM
Surprised we didn't get a linebacker during the offseason. Wonder will we try and convert one of the safetys (Ishmael or Motta) that we drafted?

JamesGall13
01.06.2013, 12:54 PM
We picked up a few UDFA which I've heard good things about in Bartu, Clancy and Worrilow, we also got Brian Banks, We might see Motta get some time at linebacker.

Don't know if UDFA will be good enough to make an impact. I really think the lack of depth at linebacker hurt us in the playoffs. Nicholas had to play way too many snaps for a run stuffing linebacker. Dent should be better next year though.

JamesGall13
03.01.2014, 03:01 AM
Really hope we trade up to Number 2 overall to get Clowney. Don't think it would cost loads either, Maybe our 1st this year and next years 1st. The guy is worth it. He'd help fill the huge need we have for a pass rusher.

FallenFlyer
03.01.2014, 10:01 AM
Really hope we trade up to Number 2 overall to get Clowney. Don't think it would cost loads either, Maybe our 1st this year and next years 1st. The guy is worth it. He'd help fill the huge need we have for a pass rusher.

Rumour is - and I repeat rumour - that the going rate for the 2 spot is going to be either 2013, 2014 and 2015 1st(s) and 2013 2nd or 2013 and 2014 1sts(s) and 2013 and 2014 (2nds).

Surely to big an asking price for anyone who is not searching for a franchise quarterback.

JamesGall13
03.01.2014, 10:36 AM
Rumour is - and I repeat rumour - that the going rate for the 2 spot is going to be either 2013, 2014 and 2015 1st(s) and 2013 2nd or 2013 and 2014 1sts(s) and 2013 and 2014 (2nds).

Surely to big an asking price for anyone who is not searching for a franchise quarterback.

If that's the case, not a chance I'd trade up. If Clowney or Matthews are there at our pick, I'd pick them. If not, I'd trade down.

Domed Outter
03.01.2014, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't trade up for Clowney. Just think, one play away from being the number 2 pick in the draft.

Quite happy to trade back 4/5 spots, pick up the LT Robinson and gain a 2nd rounder, and pick Cyril Richardson and Gabe Jackson/Aaron Donald.

falcon_91
03.01.2014, 11:29 PM
I hope Clowney says some things about only playing in the South, and that he hates Florida.

DirtyBird98
04.01.2014, 01:34 AM
Clowney is not the be all and end all. Why give up picks for him when we could still be in play for someone like Anthony Barr at no. 6 who may well have just as great a career as Clowney? Obviously Julio has been a star but there's no question that the huge trade up to get him hurt us in the 2012 draft. No way do I want to be in that position again in 2015, but we could be if we give up that year's first round pick.

Dartmoor Falcon
04.01.2014, 11:49 AM
Got to agree with that, Clowney, whilst quality, isn't worth trading up for and messing up the rest of this, or future, drafts.

Stubbsy #21
04.01.2014, 05:50 PM
As we're talking about rebuilding I came across this article on bleacher report and the guy who did it is a Falcons fans and regularly posts on the atlantafalcons.com message boards:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1904865-the-definitive-blueprint-to-the-atlanta-falcons-perfect-offseason/page/27

Don't know if I agree with all of it - particularly a couple of the mid to later round draft picks but I think he's got some good ideas.

Domed Outter
04.01.2014, 06:10 PM
As we're talking about rebuilding I came across this article on bleacher report and the guy who did it is a Falcons fans and regularly posts on the atlantafalcons.com message boards:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1904865-the-definitive-blueprint-to-the-atlanta-falcons-perfect-offseason/page/27

Don't know if I agree with all of it - particularly a couple of the mid to later round draft picks but I think he's got some good ideas.

When he compiles a realistic plan without putting Graham in there i'll take notice. He has some good ideas and watches a lot of the college stuff.

JamesGall13
04.01.2014, 07:47 PM

Yeah I follow him on twitter. He talks a lot of sense. He is big on Khalil Mack and Anthony Barr as well as Clowney.

Dartmoor Falcon
04.01.2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah I follow him on twitter. He talks a lot of sense. He is big on Khalil Mack and Anthony Barr as well as Clowney.

Just followed him myself.

falcon_91
04.01.2014, 11:47 PM
I'm not a big Barr fan, I understand you are drafting him for his potential, but he's never really stood out to me when I've watched UCLA.

I'm also not sure if he's great value at #6, I agree with a MLB but not sure on an OLB that high. Last one I can think of was Aaron Curry who rose up during the offseason(I remember there was talk of us taking him in the mid teens and he rose to #4).

In an ideal world (on the assumption Clowney and MAtthews are gone) I would trade back to the 9-12 range and take Cyrus Kou, but OTs get drafted high so it would be some what of a gamble.

Domed Outter
05.01.2014, 05:12 PM
Pleased that we've been chosen to coach the senior bowl.

North team should include Mack, Hageman, Donald? Billy Turner and Zack Martin.

I wonder if there will be a trade market for teams looking to trade up 5-10 spots for Watkins. I'm thinking Bills, Jets, Lions.

Stubbsy #21
05.01.2014, 09:03 PM
If Clowney and Matthews are gone I'd be tempted to trade down too. To me Barr looks too much like a 3-4 OLB so not sure how versatile he is. Khalil Mack is a different proposition to me as he could be used like Denver uses Von Miller.

I think teams could try and jump up for Sammy Watkins. Hopefully they'd jump above us for that meaning increased chances of taking Clowney or Matthews.

falcon_91
06.01.2014, 04:14 PM
I don't think people will jump to #16 for Watkins, it still won't be cheap and with people like Lee, Evans, Matthews potentially Benjamin the WR market is deep for 1st round talents.

Blank has today admitted that they have missed on the O and Dline....nice to have a straight up admission, makes you think they will be addressed heavily

JamesGall13
06.01.2014, 04:51 PM
I don't think people will jump to #16 for Watkins, it still won't be cheap and with people like Lee, Evans, Matthews potentially Benjamin the WR market is deep for 1st round talents.

Blank has today admitted that they have missed on the O and Dline....nice to have a straight up admission, makes you think they will be addressed heavily

Listened to his full press conference. Liked what I heard. Our team lacks toughness. Good to see that positives might come out of this season. Coaches and Front Office have realised you need a top O-Line and D-Line otherwise you get walked all over. Our D-Line has been poor for years now.

He fully believes in Dimitroff and Smith and sounds like they will be here for years to come as long as seasons like this year don't happen again.

Dartmoor Falcon
06.01.2014, 07:59 PM
Listened to his full press conference. Liked what I heard. Our team lacks toughness. Good to see that positives might come out of this season. Coaches and Front Office have realised you need a top O-Line and D-Line otherwise you get walked all over. Our D-Line has been poor for years now.

He fully believes in Dimitroff and Smith and sounds like they will be here for years to come as long as seasons like this year don't happen again.

If Dimitriff and Smith have learnt the lessons and do fix the lines then i won't have an issue with them being there, just as long as we don't have another season like this.

DirtyBird98
09.01.2014, 10:08 PM
Any chance Barr could play Biermann's role? Hybrid DE/LB

JamesGall13
10.01.2014, 03:49 PM
Any chance Barr could play Biermann's role? Hybrid DE/LB

I believe so but I reckon Biermann is here to stay. Reckon we'll go for someone more like Clowney who will rarely if ever drop into coverage.

ajra21
14.01.2014, 04:02 AM
OL for you guys in the first round?

Domed Outter
14.01.2014, 08:52 AM

Quite possibly. Either of the lines will do. A tackle to replace Baker who may even be a surprise cut this year, and a guard.

3 DT free agents and the likeliness of only re-signing 1.

JamesGall13
14.01.2014, 11:24 AM

It will be O-Line or D-Line. Wouldn't be surprised if we trade back.

Domed Outter
14.01.2014, 11:41 AM
It will be O-Line or D-Line. Wouldn't be surprised if we trade back.

I'd be ecstatic. Only 2-3 picks back, mind you!

Stubbsy #21
14.01.2014, 01:22 PM
If Clowney or Jake Matthews is there at #6 we'll take them. Otherwise I think we'd trade down to the 10-12 range.

falcon_91
14.01.2014, 11:22 PM
Have to see how FA works out too.

If we signed a DE like Michael Johnson, or ponied up for Orakpo then that changes everything.
OLine there is the potential for a solid RG in someone like Jon Asamoah
DT - Linval Joseph, BJ Raji and a couple of others are all in line to be FAs.

Anyway I still dont think Clowney will be there for us, I heard the Texans owner(happens to be from Carolina) talking about him and he seemed besotted! And they have a precedent of skipping the "consensus" #1 pick like they did with Mario Williams. and even below them there arent 4 plaers that warrant being picked over him.

DirtyBird98
19.01.2014, 11:31 PM
The biggest priority on our O line is RG. Pretty sure Baker (who was decent last year and injured all this) and Lamar Holmes (who despite the criticism is actually an average NFL tackle) will be the starting tackles. Joe Hawley needs to start at center - he is twice the player Peter Konz is. And Justin Blalock is solid as they come at LG, has been for years. So yeah I'd like us to go pass rusher first round and big fat right guard in the second - that's if neither position is addressed during free agency.

JamesGall13
21.01.2014, 06:39 PM
The biggest priority on our O line is RG. Pretty sure Baker (who was decent last year and injured all this) and Lamar Holmes (who despite the criticism is actually an average NFL tackle) will be the starting tackles. Joe Hawley needs to start at center - he is twice the player Peter Konz is. And Justin Blalock is solid as they come at LG, has been for years. So yeah I'd like us to go pass rusher first round and big fat right guard in the second - that's if neither position is addressed during free agency.

Yeah Right Guard is the major need on the O-Line but you don't go for a guard at number 6 so hopefully we go D-Line at 6 or trade back for more picks. If Dimitroff acts sensibly, we could trade back in numerous rounds and stack the team with depth and talent on both sides of the ball but he'll probably do his usual trading away of picks to move up (Not against it if Clowney is the man we get).

DirtyBird98
22.01.2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah Right Guard is the major need on the O-Line but you don't go for a guard at number 6 so hopefully we go D-Line at 6 or trade back for more picks. If Dimitroff acts sensibly, we could trade back in numerous rounds and stack the team with depth and talent on both sides of the ball but he'll probably do his usual trading away of picks to move up (Not against it if Clowney is the man we get).

Totally. It's good that we're coaching the Senior Bowl. Get first look at plenty of prospects. Hearing good things about 343-pound guard Cyril Richardson out of Baylor. He's on Smitty's Senior Bowl roster.

falcon_91
23.01.2014, 01:17 AM
Scott Pioli in as assistant GM

Domed Outter
23.01.2014, 05:24 PM

An astute move by TD. Those lines are going to be shaken up this year.

JamesGall13
23.01.2014, 10:32 PM

Think it has the potential to be a great hire. Hopefully we can shake up the Offensive Line and Defense so we can get back to being a playoff team.

DirtyBird98
23.01.2014, 11:26 PM
Nice hire. Dimitroff and Pioli are of course buddies from their days working together in the New England front office. They won two Super Bowls together. Let's hope they can rediscover their chemistry and bring us some of that success.

JamesGall13
06.02.2014, 12:56 AM
The first cuts have been made. Asante Samuel and Stephen Nicholas were cut yesterday. They were certainly not the worst players on the roster but due to cap reasons and being back ups, they had to go.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Samuel-Nicholas/18ce2cb3-0e2f-4113-951e-ce654467b2ce

Domed Outter
06.02.2014, 01:46 AM
Shouldn't be too long before the next round of cuts. I've a feeling any restructures will be announced next.

JamesGall13
06.02.2014, 10:45 AM
Shouldn't be too long before the next round of cuts. I've a feeling any restructures will be announced next.

Yeah I expect Reynolds and Snelling to be cut. Wouldn't be surprised if DeCoud, Umenyiora and S-Jax are too.

As for restructures, Bialock is the big one I could see happening and Roddy White will probably sign a team friendly deal to stay with the team.

Domed Outter
06.02.2014, 01:45 PM
Yeah I expect Reynolds and Snelling to be cut. Wouldn't be surprised if DeCoud, Umenyiora and S-Jax are too.

As for restructures, Bialock is the big one I could see happening and Roddy White will probably sign a team friendly deal to stay with the team.

The only ones I disagree on would be Umenyiora and Jackson. I would add Cliff Matthews, and maybe even Biermann to the list (late cuts).

Blalock's contract would have to be extended as he approaches the last 2/3 years of his contract with a lot of guaranteed money still owed. Maybe extend him a year and save 2-3m, and give Roddy a 2 year extension to save another 2-3m.

JamesGall13
06.02.2014, 02:14 PM
The only ones I disagree on would be Umenyiora and Jackson. I would add Cliff Matthews, and maybe even Biermann to the list (late cuts).

Blalock's contract would have to be extended as he approaches the last 2/3 years of his contract with a lot of guaranteed money still owed. Maybe extend him a year and save 2-3m, and give Roddy a 2 year extension to save another 2-3m.

I wouldn't cut Umenyiora or Jackson either but I think we might cut them is what I was saying ;) Yeah Biermann is solid but not a game changer so I wouldn't be gutted if he left.

JamesGall13
22.03.2014, 01:41 AM
The Falcons have released Fullback Bradie Ewing.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Fullback-Ewing/d86bbee3-1b47-4952-9931-41d02fc676a2

Dartmoor Falcon
22.03.2014, 10:12 AM
The Falcons have released Fullback Bradie Ewing.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Fullback-Ewing/d86bbee3-1b47-4952-9931-41d02fc676a2

Just seen that, not really a surprise.

Dartmoor Falcon
25.03.2014, 06:37 PM
Now the compensatory picks have been awarded who do you think will be our targets?

Domed Outter
25.03.2014, 06:49 PM
First: Mack, Clowney, Robinson.

Second: Ward, Buchanon, Hageman, Attaochu. I personally believe that our trading is done in this round.

Third: Marcus Smith, Niklas, Fiedorowicz.

Fourth: Seastrunk, Ellis, Christian Jones.

Dartmoor Falcon
28.03.2014, 07:53 AM
First: Mack, Clowney, Robinson.

Who do you think is the most realistic target of the three?

I'd prefer Clowney but don't know as much about the other two to be honest.

DirtyBird98
09.04.2014, 11:53 AM
We have four screaming needs: Pass rusher, S, TE, OT. I'd like to see us trade down. With our current crop of picks we have to wait till pick #103 to address the fourth need. If we managed to trade #6 for first and second round picks we would be able to address the four needs in the top 68 picks. Considering Alford was #60 last year and was decent then and will be the starter this year, there is potential for this to be a good scenario for us.

Domed Outter
09.04.2014, 05:05 PM
We have four screaming needs: Pass rusher, S, TE, OT. I'd like to see us trade down. With our current crop of picks we have to wait till pick #103 to address the fourth need. If we managed to trade #6 for first and second round picks we would be able to address the four needs in the top 68 picks. Considering Alford was #60 last year and was decent then and will be the starter this year, there is potential for this to be a good scenario for us.

I'm sure they'd rather stay at 6 but if the big three are taken it leaves Matthews as 50/50 or a trade down to the teens.

Carasik's latest mock is the closest to what I would do (without my trading back 5 spots in the 2nd) in the event that Clowney, Mack and Robinson are off the board.

They'll probably give Ishmael a decent amount of snaps this season.

Dartmoor Falcon
09.04.2014, 05:44 PM
I think these are decent signings for us:-

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Add-S-Lowery-CB-Wilson/7ddc4732-f0b3-42e0-8cd0-4acf448a4739

DirtyBird98
09.04.2014, 10:55 PM
I'm sure they'd rather stay at 6 but if the big three are taken it leaves Matthews as 50/50 or a trade down to the teens.

Carasik's latest mock is the closest to what I would do (without my trading back 5 spots in the 2nd) in the event that Clowney, Mack and Robinson are off the board.

They'll probably give Ishmael a decent amount of snaps this season.

I would not spend our first round pick on a tackle. We are so much thinner at the other three needs. The OTs we have are league-average but we have no-one to start at FS or DE/OLB and only Levine Toilolo at TE. Part of my reasoning behind saying trade down is because I think Clowney and Mack will both be gone at 6, but if they aren't take 'em, take FS in the 2nd, TE in the 3rd and OT in the 4th.

Dartmoor Falcon
29.04.2014, 06:05 PM
I've just been watching NFL Network and they are reporting that we are looking to do a deal with the Texans for the #1 overall pick so we can get Clowney.

I personally like the idea of this, but what do you guys think?

Domed Outter
30.04.2014, 03:42 AM
I've just been watching NFL Network and they are reporting that we are looking to do a deal with the Texans for the #1 overall pick so we can get Clowney.

I personally like the idea of this, but what do you guys think?

As long as we don't surrender this years 2nd and next years 1st. It's interesting because we should have a decent chance of getting into the top 3.

DirtyBird98
30.04.2014, 11:51 AM
I used to be dead against the idea, but the more I read about Clowney the more convinced I become of his transcendent talent, that he is a once-in-a-generation game-changer on D. I'd now be more than willing to sacrifice some of our other needs to get him. Bring him home TD

Dartmoor Falcon
30.04.2014, 07:25 PM
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Dimitroff-Plans-to-Be-Aggressive-in-Draft/806b0bba-5a33-4469-bbe0-a1bd30d71628

Devilfalc
30.04.2014, 09:43 PM
I am not a fan of trading up for Clowney. I am a strong believer that the best teams hoard picks and wait for the draft to them and think we have way too many needs to trade up for anyone.

We need to rebuild this OL with high value picks and not having the picks to do so in 2014 and 2015 , leaving us having to gamble on Baker and Homes, could cripple this team for 3-4 years.

DirtyBird98
01.05.2014, 12:10 PM
Dimitroff's terrible at drafting O-linemen anyway

Devilfalc
01.05.2014, 07:43 PM
Dimitroff's terrible at drafting O-linemen anyway

No he 's not. Most of his OL play to the round where they were drafted. The % or 3rd/4th round linemen who become good starters is not high. Most never be come starters, let alone good ones.

TD's problem is that he simply hasn't invested anywhere near enough in the OL.

DirtyBird98
02.05.2014, 12:46 PM
I guess you're right Devilfalc. You'd go OT at #6 then?

Domed Outter
02.05.2014, 05:30 PM
Can only see a trade up for a pass rusher. A small trade back in the 2nd to retain a 4th will do nicely.

JamesGall13
04.05.2014, 06:41 PM
I think if we stay at 6, we'll be left with Taylor Lewan so I wouldn't be against the idea of trading up for Mack or Clowney. Ideally we will trade down around 10 places and gather more picks to address FS, TE, OLB/DE, ILB, OT and RB.

DirtyBird98
04.05.2014, 10:17 PM
I think if we stay at 6, we'll be left with Taylor Lewan so I wouldn't be against the idea of trading up for Mack or Clowney. Ideally we will trade down around 10 places and gather more picks to address FS, TE, OLB/DE, ILB, OT and RB.

How do you see the top 5 going?

Personally I think it will be Clowney, Mack, Sammy Watkins, Greg Robinson and Johnny Football (not in that order). Jake Matthews will certainly fall to 6, a player I'd be happy to take.

JamesGall13
04.05.2014, 10:36 PM
how do you see the top 5 going?

Personally i think it will be clowney, mack, sammy watkins, greg robinson and johnny football (not in that order). Jake matthews will certainly fall to 6, a player i'd be happy to take.

Worst case scenario I am afraid.

#1. Clowney
#2. Robinson
#3. Mack
#4. Watkins
#5. Matthews

DirtyBird98
04.05.2014, 10:40 PM
Fair play. I do think we'll end up trading anyway.

Devilfalc
05.05.2014, 12:42 AM
I guess you're right Devilfalc. You'd go OT at #6 then?

I'd stick at 6 and take the highest rated pass rusher or OT on the board, provided that the pass rusher is a scheme fit.

Stubbsy #21
09.05.2014, 05:09 AM
I'd stick at 6 and take the highest rated pass rusher or OT on the board, provided that the pass rusher is a scheme fit.

Looks like Trader Tom was listening to you.

Happy with the pick now to get a FS and some pass rush.

Domed Outter
09.05.2014, 12:31 PM
So I'm guessing that TD was trying to trade back into the first for either Ward or Bucannon. Ford went earlier than I'd expected as well.

DirtyBird98
09.05.2014, 01:48 PM
So I'm guessing that TD was trying to trade back into the first for either Ward or Bucannon. Ford went earlier than I'd expected as well.

Yeah, apparently he tried to trade into the first but the targets were Ford and Shazier.

JamesGall13
10.05.2014, 04:30 AM
Interesting to see what we do tomorrow. My thoughts on the picks so far.

1. Jake Matthews - Very happy with the pick. Should be our future left tackle, I imagine he'll start at right tackle this season.

2. Ra'Shede Hageman - I'm a massive fan of Hageman, I took him in the 7 round mock draft on here with the Redskins. Get the impression, Peters won't stay beyond this year and Jerry will be cut after camp.

3. Dezmen Southward - Who the hell is this guy? There were a few players I'd have been happy to select at free safety and we pick a guy nobody has heard of.

Also, want to know, why the hell haven't we gotten a pass rusher? If we weren't gonna draft one, why didn't we go after Jarad Allen, Michael Johnson or Lamar Houston in free agency?

Dartmoor Falcon
10.05.2014, 02:14 PM
Anyone have any idea who we are looking at in round 4?

falcon_91
10.05.2014, 03:24 PM
Think we will go OLB, RB,TE with the next couple of picks, there's still quite a few decent pass rushers available like Jeffcoat. Wouldn't mind us taking McCullers as there's only really him and Zack Kerr who can be NTs IMO

Surprised we went Southward over Bailey but they must have seen something they like

Dartmoor Falcon
10.05.2014, 04:18 PM
Well we've started with a RB, looks like a good addition too.

JamesGall13
10.05.2014, 07:08 PM
Think we will go OLB, RB,TE with the next couple of picks, there's still quite a few decent pass rushers available like Jeffcoat. Wouldn't mind us taking McCullers as there's only really him and Zack Kerr who can be NTs IMO

Surprised we went Southward over Bailey but they must have seen something they like

His 3 cone and 40 time.

Domed Outter
10.05.2014, 08:06 PM
Well we've started with a RB, looks like a good addition too.

Started off fine but I'm a little lost on the last 3 picks.

Devilfalc
10.05.2014, 09:12 PM
Also, want to know, why the hell haven't we gotten a pass rusher? If we weren't gonna draft one, why didn't we go after Jarad Allen, Michael Johnson or Lamar Houston in free agency?

It seems very clear at this point with the additions, that we have transitioned to a 3-4 defense. I'm sure we'll still have some 4-3 looks, but we are essentially a 3-4 personnel, hence no pass rushing defensive end.

We have a logjam at DL and LB right now and I can see a lot of familiar names - who are best suited to the 4-3 defense - getting the axe this year, in favour of the draftees and FA additions. I wouldn't be surprised if Osi, Peters, Jerry, Babs and Dent are all shown the door.

Domed Outter
10.05.2014, 09:50 PM
It seems very clear at this point with the additions, that we have transitioned to a 3-4 defense. I'm sure we'll still have some 4-3 looks, but we are essentially a 3-4 personnel, hence no pass rushing defensive end.

We have a logjam at DL and LB right now and I can see a lot of familiar names - who are best suited to the 4-3 defense - getting the axe this year, in favour of the draftees and FA additions. I wouldn't be surprised if Osi, Peters, Jerry, Babs and Dent are all shown the door.

I would think Peters will be back but the others I don't see being here next season. Robertson, Matthews, Jerry and Dent will probably be cut during pre-season.

DirtyBird98
10.05.2014, 10:55 PM

Of those players I only think we will cut one of the DTs, maybe two. Jerry the favourite. If we cut all three we will have no depth at D lineman. Again if we cut Dent we got no depth at MLB. Osi is pretty much all the edge rush we got. No way is he getting cut

EDIT: OK, we just got Yawin Smallwood. Maybe Dent is on his way LOL

JamesGall13
10.05.2014, 11:17 PM
Mystified at our draft picks after the Matthews and Hageman picks. Don't have a clue what Dimitroff is playing at. No pass rusher, TE or WR.

DirtyBird98
11.05.2014, 12:25 AM
Mystified at our draft picks after the Matthews and Hageman picks. Don't have a clue what Dimitroff is playing at. No pass rusher, TE or WR.

The plan is clearly to collapse the pocket with our beefy D line and then let Osi etc come from behind and finish the job. We did get a couple rush linebackers, Shembo and Starr, and Starr is great value at the end of the 7th. So is Smallwood, who had a 4th-5th round grade according to nfl.coms draft tracker.

falcon_91
11.05.2014, 09:53 AM
An we've definitely added some toughness in Shembo, don't get much tougher than a rapist who's victim then killed herself......

Allegedly of course

DirtyBird98
11.05.2014, 10:08 AM
How can you say that? He was never charged with any crime.

falcon_91
11.05.2014, 10:14 AM
I wrote allegedly... ;)

And seriously, when it comes to sports stars particularly college players in college towns I won't apologise fr not taking the polices word for toffee

DirtyBird98
13.05.2014, 08:28 AM
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/5/12/5709408/the-falcons-have-a-plan-for-the-pass-rush-but-will-it-work

Great article about the plans for the pass rush and how it will work in 2014. The site is great in general for articles and analysis on our team.

Dartmoor Falcon
13.05.2014, 07:23 PM
Free Agents signed.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Add-20-College-Free-Agents/f1085756-427d-44c3-9443-b8f68d89f7b9?_cldee=ZGFydG1vb3JmYWxjb25AZ21haWwuY2 9t

JamesGall13
11.06.2014, 05:26 PM
With Weatherspoon out for the season, who do we think will replace him as a starter? Big hole at ILB now.

Dartmoor Falcon
11.06.2014, 07:39 PM
Hadn't heard about that, not good news. :mad:

DirtyBird98
12.06.2014, 10:19 PM
With Weatherspoon out for the season, who do we think will replace him as a starter? Big hole at ILB now.

I now see Worrilow and Bartu as our two starting ILBs. Also I reckon Akeem Dent will keep his roster spot, and Shembo, Smallwood and Spruill will get more snaps than they would have done with Spoon on the roster.

JamesGall13
13.06.2014, 12:27 AM
I now see Worrilow and Bartu as our two starting ILBs. Also I reckon Akeem Dent will keep his roster spot, and Shembo, Smallwood and Spruill will get more snaps than they would have done with Spoon on the roster.

I'd agree about Worrilow and Bartu starting at ILB. Our Defense is so crap, it really exposes what a poor GM Dimitroff is. Compare it to any of the other teams in our division, it doesn't come close to any of them. Dent will probably;y be the back up but O hope Smallwood is, he's a superior ILB in my opinion.

JamesGall13
07.03.2016, 11:22 PM
That time of year again. Free agency is about to kick off and the Falcons have a ton of holes on their roster. Today they assigned second round tenders to Ryan Schraeder and unfortunately Paul Worrilow. They also tendered Ricardo Allen who had an impressive season at safety.

Interested to know who you would like us to go after?

Domed Outter
08.03.2016, 08:03 PM
That time of year again. Free agency is about to kick off and the Falcons have a ton of holes on their roster. Today they assigned second round tenders to Ryan Schraeder and unfortunately Paul Worrilow. They also tendered Ricardo Allen who had an impressive season at safety.

Interested to know who you would like us to go after?

Trevathan, Jones, Benjamin/Marvin Jones, Iloka, Geoff Schwartz.

Looks like Trevathan to Chicago, Jones to Cleveland, Iloka staying in Cincy, etc.

JamesGall13
08.03.2016, 08:28 PM
I'll be disgusted if we don't get a pass rusher in free agency but expecting it cause....... Dimitroff.

Domed Outter
09.03.2016, 11:36 AM
I'll be disgusted if we don't get a pass rusher in free agency but expecting it cause....... Dimitroff.

...and waste $10m+ on a 4 sack player? It could've been sorted before I agree, but there isn't really anyone out there right now.

A haul of Howard, Mack, Iloka and Jones would be excellent, with some small additions would set us up for the draft nicely.

JamesGall13
09.03.2016, 11:46 AM
...and waste $10m+ on a 4 sack player? It could've been sorted before I agree, but there isn't really anyone out there right now.

A haul of Howard, Mack, Iloka and Jones would be excellent, with some small additions would set us up for the draft nicely.

4 sacks would have been over 20% of our sack total from last season. We've been in the bottom 5 at rushing the passer the past 4 seasons. It is incompetent not to address it. I would like us to take a punt on Nick Perry from the Packers, shown signs of being good when healthy and he shouldn't cost too much.

ADBEARSFAN
09.03.2016, 01:03 PM
Trevathan, Jones, Benjamin/Marvin Jones, Iloka, Geoff Schwartz.

Looks like Trevathan to Chicago, Jones to Cleveland, Iloka staying in Cincy, etc.

Think it's between us and you for Trevathan, although rumoured that he is signing with the Bears.

Both teams need help on the DL too.

JamesGall13
09.03.2016, 02:22 PM
Think it's between us and you for Trevathan, although rumoured that he is signing with the Bears.

Both teams need help on the DL too.

He will go to the Bears. Falcons have been allergic to signing good free agents the past few seasons.

JamesGall13
11.03.2016, 11:57 AM
Business done in free agency so far by the Falcons. Also Chris Long is in for a visit.

Signings
Alex Mack, Center
Mohamed Sanu, WR
Derrick Shelby, DE
Sean Weatherspoon, LB

Re-signings
Adrian Clayborn, DE

Dartmoor Falcon
13.03.2016, 02:24 PM
Business done in free agency so far by the Falcons. Also Chris Long is in for a visit.

Signings
Alex Mack, Center
Mohamed Sanu, WR
Derrick Shelby, DE
Sean Weatherspoon, LB

Re-signings
Adrian Clayborn, DE

That's not a bad list really, also good to see you with the helmet back up James.

JamesGall13
14.03.2016, 12:58 PM
That's not a bad list really, also good to see you with the helmet back up James.

Decent. I would have liked Trevathan or Freeman in at LB so Worrilow wouldn't be a starter. If we don't get Chris Long, we'll need a pass rusher early in the draft.

Lonestar1963
31.03.2016, 10:58 AM
How bad do you need a guard? Just drafted one for ya elsewhere! Along with Rankins

Domed Outter
04.04.2016, 03:18 PM
How bad do you need a guard? Just drafted one for ya elsewhere! Along with Rankins

Oh we need two. Hopefully get rid of Levitre next off season after drafting one this year and reinforcing via free agency in 2017.

Lonestar1963
04.04.2016, 06:32 PM
I drafted Rankins, Hooper and Joe Dahl in a 3 rounder, not bad i think:)

JamesGall13
06.04.2016, 01:46 PM
I drafted Rankins, Hooper and Joe Dahl in a 3 rounder, not bad i think:)

I like Rankins, Hooper is good too but the falcons have so many holes I'd be happier to address TE later in the draft. As for Dahl, I'm not a fan and I wouldn't consider him until beyond the 5th round.

Lonestar1963
06.04.2016, 06:34 PM
You surprise me with Dahl, where would you go top 3 then?

JamesGall13
13.04.2016, 08:58 AM
You surprise me with Dahl, where would you go top 3 then?

I would trade down in the real thing and target a LB, Safety and pass rusher with out first 3 picks.

JamesGall13
13.04.2016, 09:03 AM
My picks and UDFA in the recent 7 round mock draft on here. Traded down twice and up once, ended up with 7 picks. What do you guys think?

Draft Picks
#17 Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
#81 Kentrell Brothers, LB, Missouri
#83 Kamalei Correa, OLB/DE, Boise State
#115 Isaac Seumalo, OG, Oregon State
#141 Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa
#195 Aziz Shi ttu, DT, Stanford
#238 Kalan Reed, CB, Mississippi State

UDFA
James Burgess, LB, Louisville
Jordan Lucas, CB/FS, Penn State
Will Parks, SS, Arizona
Alex Redmond, OG, UCLA
Devon Johnson, RB, Marshall
LaQuan McGowan, TE, Baylor
Steven Scheu, TE, Vanderbilt

Domed Outter
14.04.2016, 07:29 PM
My picks and UDFA in the recent 7 round mock draft on here. Traded down twice and up once, ended up with 7 picks. What do you guys think?

Draft Picks
#17 Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
#81 Kentrell Brothers, LB, Missouri
#83 Kamalei Correa, OLB/DE, Boise State
#115 Isaac Seumalo, OG, Oregon State
#141 Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa
#195 Aziz Shi ttu, DT, Stanford
#238 Kalan Reed, CB, Mississippi State

UDFA
James Burgess, LB, Louisville
Jordan Lucas, CB/FS, Penn State
Will Parks, SS, Arizona
Alex Redmond, OG, UCLA
Devon Johnson, RB, Marshall
LaQuan McGowan, TE, Baylor
Steven Scheu, TE, Vanderbilt

Did you not get any trade offers at #17?

JamesGall13
15.04.2016, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately no concrete offers. One offer to trade miles down for a 2nd and 5th. Wasn't worth it.

Lonestar1963
16.04.2016, 01:33 PM
No TE? you would go another WR before TE? Drafting for the Falcs again this time 7 rounder! here we go with a new board:rolleyes:

JamesGall13
16.04.2016, 03:22 PM
No TE? you would go another WR before TE? Drafting for the Falcs again this time 7 rounder! here we go with a new board:rolleyes:

I wanted a TE but there was a run on them and trading up would of left me with 5 picks which wouldn't be worth it.

Lonestar1963
16.04.2016, 07:47 PM
Ready to go Rankins again, cant believe he will drop to me again! Babineaux is knockin on a bit, .......Cowboys fans huh? Browns have drafted Tunsil! lol:eek:

Lonestar1963
16.04.2016, 07:50 PM
Also we have no back up/swing tackle for Mathews, if Rankins doesnt drop i would go Bosa but he aint gonna drop

Dartmoor Falcon
29.04.2016, 09:22 PM
So we went S in Keanu Neal in the first round, anyone have any thoughts/opinions/information on him?

Same questions with regards to Deion Jones and LB and Austin Hooper at TE?

JamesGall13
04.05.2016, 09:49 AM
A few thoughts I have on our picks. Overall a decent draft. Would have loved Shaq Lawson in the first to pair with Beasley though.

Keanu Neal - He is a real thumper. Like him as a player and he should fit in well in our scheme as the strong safety. If we had got him in the 2nd I'd have loved the pick but he may not have been there at 50.

Deion Jones - Probably the pick I like the least. Very fast linebacker but he struggles against the run and is too often consumed by blocks. Hopefully he bulks up. I think he will struggle to overcome his lack of size.

Austin Hooper - Potential to be a really good player. Matt Ryan badly needed a new TE. Should help in the redzone in year one and go on to be a starter for many years. Fairly good route runner and he has very good hands for a big guy. Offers the Falcons
something we didn't already have on the roster.

De'Vondre Campbell - Has all the physical tools to be a hit in the NFL. Would like him to play inside linebacker. I expect him to be a back up in year one with hopefully Quinn and co. being able to develop him to a potential starter.

Wes Schweitzer - Didn't know much about this guy but went back and watched some film on him. Was a LT at college but will be a LG for the Falcons. Must say I like the pick and he should be a capable back up.

Devin Fuller - Can take the top off a defence. Offers some return skills. Will make the practice squad if he doesn't make the 53 man roster as the last WR.

Dartmoor Falcon
05.05.2016, 07:34 PM
A few thoughts I have on our picks. Overall a decent draft. Would have loved Shaq Lawson in the first to pair with Beasley though.

Keanu Neal - He is a real thumper. Like him as a player and he should fit in well in our scheme as the strong safety. If we had got him in the 2nd I'd have loved the pick but he may not have been there at 50.

Deion Jones - Probably the pick I like the least. Very fast linebacker but he struggles against the run and is too often consumed by blocks. Hopefully he bulks up. I think he will struggle to overcome his lack of size.

Austin Hooper - Potential to be a really good player. Matt Ryan badly needed a new TE. Should help in the redzone in year one and go on to be a starter for many years. Fairly good route runner and he has very good hands for a big guy. Offers the Falcons
something we didn't already have on the roster.

De'Vondre Campbell - Has all the physical tools to be a hit in the NFL. Would like him to play inside linebacker. I expect him to be a back up in year one with hopefully Quinn and co. being able to develop him to a potential starter.

Wes Schweitzer - Didn't know much about this guy but went back and watched some film on him. Was a LT at college but will be a LG for the Falcons. Must say I like the pick and he should be a capable back up.

Devin Fuller - Can take the top off a defence. Offers some return skills. Will make the practice squad if he doesn't make the 53 man roster as the last WR.

Yeah, all in all not a bad draft.