PDA

View Full Version : Why do you support the Falcons?

GridironAndHoops
21.01.2013, 11:11 PM
So I posted a thread on the New to the NFL section titled the Whole Package. Basically I've narrowed down my long search for an NFL team to three teams:
Falcons
Panthers
Giants

First of all, I'm posting this on the three team's pages because its always interesting to find out why someone supported a certain team. Secondly, is there any reason why you think I should support the Falcons? What stands out about them? Are any of you guys Hawks fans as well and maybe even UGA or GT fans? What's Atlanta like? Thanks a lot! Hopefully it'll help out a lot of others in many situation

georgia dome
21.01.2013, 11:39 PM
i picked the Falcons because all my mates picked REDSKINS , COWBOYS, BEARS, DOLPHINS, VIKINGS, And i wanted to be different, think Falcons and Bills were the two worst teams around at the time i got into NFL back in the 80`s And i said who`s the worst team? As i knew nothing back then, Falcons and Bills i was told?
So chose the Falcons cos i liked there colours at the time
And the rest is history stuck with my Dirty Birds ever since through good and bad
You should join up with us as this year we wAS a stone throw away from SuperBowl
Got some great offence players and also some good defensive ones too?
i run a falcons UK fan site and lots of friendly fans on there as well as here!
Atlanta is a great place to visit also. We will win the SuperBowl in the next few years i can asure you as we`ve got a great team, just need to iron out a few things and were there we finished 13-3 this season,

steven a h
21.01.2013, 11:46 PM
i started supporting the falcons in the 80s because of british kicker mick luckhurst. the falcons have sucked big time for years. so being good the last few years is awesome.bright future with ryan and the wide outs .atlanta is a great city to visit and flights easy to get .so if you do not want to be a glory hunter and follow a glamour team get on the falcons bandwaggon the future is bright

JamesGall13
22.01.2013, 12:18 AM
I got into the NFL and I didn't have a team like yourself. I wanted one but I didn't want to support any of the usual suspects. I ended up picking the Falcons because they were mentioned in the simpsons, daft really but I haven't looked back since. It has been a roller-coaster ride, only scoring 2 points vs the Giants last year, intercepting Peyton Manning 3 times, Drew Brees 5 times and all the 4th quarter wins. Just watch the Seattle game, that is why you should follow the Atlanta Falcons. :D

GridironAndHoops
22.01.2013, 07:43 AM
Are there any specific reasons as to why I might support them over the Giants or Panthers? Also has anyone ever been to a Hawks game? Just worried that the Atlanta sports fans have a reputation of not filling the stands

Anarchy in the WV
22.01.2013, 07:58 AM
Are there any specific reasons as to why I might support them over the Giants or Panthers? Also has anyone ever been to a Hawks game? Just worried that the Atlanta sports fans have a reputation of not filling the stands

I know I posted in your other thread, but I lived in Georgia for awhile. Great college football state. The NFL used to struggle, but has been very well supported for the past decade. It's hard to tell if that's because the team has been competitive or because of the NFL's incredible takeover of American culture. I didn't live in Atlanta, but where I was the Falcons were definitely an afterthought behind the University of Georgia. The Braves have been good for 20 years and they still struggle to sell out playoff games. Atlanta has lost two NHL franchises in the past 30 years. I was able to purchase Penguins vs. Thrasher tickets for $10 and around half of the fans were there to support the Pens. The Hawks also struggle, and that's in a city with a huge African American population. Atlanta is not an elite pro sports town, but that's not to say you shouldn't support their teams.

GridironAndHoops
22.01.2013, 04:00 PM
I know I posted in your other thread, but I lived in Georgia for awhile. Great college football state. The NFL used to struggle, but has been very well supported for the past decade. It's hard to tell if that's because the team has been competitive or because of the NFL's incredible takeover of American culture. I didn't live in Atlanta, but where I was the Falcons were definitely an afterthought behind the University of Georgia. The Braves have been good for 20 years and they still struggle to sell out playoff games. Atlanta has lost two NHL franchises in the past 30 years. I was able to purchase Penguins vs. Thrasher tickets for $10 and around half of the fans were there to support the Pens. The Hawks also struggle, and that's in a city with a huge African American population. Atlanta is not an elite pro sports town, but that's not to say you shouldn't support their teams.

Well that isn't good. Has anyone else any opinion on this? Is the poor attendance particularly noticeable?

Stubbsy #21
22.01.2013, 08:16 PM
Well that isn't good. Has anyone else any opinion on this? Is the poor attendance particularly noticeable?

Not if you've only watched the playoffs this year. However has been an issue in the past although hopefully we can leave that behind as we're getting the fans behind us more.

As for why you should support them here's a few for starters- good up and coming team, a likeable franchise QB who doesn't act like a spoilt kid (I'm looking at you Cam Newton) and you can't be accused of being a glory hunter/bandwagoner.

I came on board in 2004 in the days of Mike Vick and we went to the NFC Championship game in my first season and have had to wait to this year for us to get back there. I went for the Falcons as I'd followed the Braves for around 10 years and they were the nearest team. I'd never seen them on the Simpsons but my sister did and thought that's why I followed them.

Anarchy in the WV
23.01.2013, 05:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, the Falcons have had great support over the past decade and I think the days of a 1/4th empty stadium are behind them for good.

GridironAndHoops
23.01.2013, 07:26 AM
Anyone got any opinion on which college team to support:
UGA, GT, Tennesssee, Alabama, Clemson, South Carolina?

cards
23.01.2013, 09:52 AM
Mate, just go for one of them. Your going to drive yourself crazy trust me.

Stubbsy #21
23.01.2013, 06:42 PM

I don't really have a particular college team but of those I'd go UGA.

Anarchy in the WV
23.01.2013, 10:31 PM

I've been to see a game at the campuses of all these teams except South Carolina. GT is ok, but nothing special. All of the rest are highly supported programs in great college towns. If you're looking for a college team who's fanbase largely overlaps with the Falcons fanbase, those would be Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, and Alabama. Maybe Clemson a little bit. South Carolina and Tennessee are not Falcons territory. I'd go with UGA. Athens is a fun town to visit. One of the craziest small town bar scenes you'll ever see and hotties everywhere. 90,000 seat stadium that is packed and rocking for every game. They are competitive in college football's most exciting and toughest conference.