PDA

View Full Version : Why the Texans?

wba1990
06.02.2013, 05:04 PM
First of all I've posted this on here and the Panthers thread.

What I want to know is from Texans fans why should I have Texans as my NFL team, what are the positives and are their any negatives. Also be nice to speak to some Texans fans as it would be nice to see how they come across :)

StevenMccormick12
07.02.2013, 12:40 PM
First of all I've posted this on here and the Panthers thread.

What I want to know is from Texans fans why should I have Texans as my NFL team, what are the positives and are their any negatives. Also be nice to speak to some Texans fans as it would be nice to see how they come across :)

Good to have you here, hope you change that NFL shield to a Texans logo soon! Can't tell you why you should follow the Texans, but we are on the up. Stable front office, coaching and team.
I first supported the Texans last year in their defeat to the Ravens in the divisional round. Playing with a 3rd string QB we came within one big play off going on to the AFC title game. It just felt right

wba1990
07.02.2013, 04:31 PM
Good to have you here, hope you change that NFL shield to a Texans logo soon! Can't tell you why you should follow the Texans, but we are on the up. Stable front office, coaching and team.
I first supported the Texans last year in their defeat to the Ravens in the divisional round. Playing with a 3rd string QB we came within one big play off going on to the AFC title game. It just felt right
Thanks for the reply, I only saw a couple of the Texans games this year, what are they like as a team and also are there many fans, there doesn't seem to be that many on here

colonelp
07.02.2013, 06:35 PM
I think the Texans are a fantastic team and franchise. I spent many an hour deliberating over them myself. There were a number of things that I liked about them.
- They have never won the superbowl, so you can get in from the start and really feel that you are part of something
- It is a solid franchise from top to bottom with a very good and stable owner in Bob Mcnair. Houston needed a team after the Oilers left and I think the fans are grateful that they have their own team again. The fans are passionate.
- The team is high character. Very rarely do they make headlines for the wrong reasons and they tend to stay out of trouble off the pitch. Many of the players come across as likeable. They have an abundance of talent.
- Houston have one of the best stadiums in the league and the atmosphere is top draw too. The tailgating is up there with the best.
- They lack mainstream support over here, I'm not sure why, but get in early and be one of the originals.
- They play hard, they have a great work ethic... a little clip of Cushing here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlRVG_j-z1E
- They have a fantastic logo and have built an identity of being tough 'Bulls on Parade'. Also they have a simple but striking uniform in all its guises.
- If you ever visit the city, there is loads to see and do

wba1990
07.02.2013, 07:03 PM
I think the Texans are a fantastic team and franchise. I spent many an hour deliberating over them myself. There were a number of things that I liked about them.
- They have never won the superbowl, so you can get in from the start and really feel that you are part of something
- It is a solid franchise from top to bottom with a very good and stable owner in Bob Mcnair. Houston needed a team after the Oilers left and I think the fans are grateful that they have their own team again. The fans are passionate.
- The team is high character. Very rarely do they make headlines for the wrong reasons and they tend to stay out of trouble off the pitch. Many of the players come across as likeable. They have an abundance of talent.
- Houston have one of the best stadiums in the league and the atmosphere is top draw too. The tailgating is up there with the best.
- They lack mainstream support over here, I'm not sure why, but get in early and be one of the originals.
- They play hard, they have a great work ethic... a little clip of Cushing here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlRVG_j-z1E
- They have a fantastic logo and have built an identity of being tough 'Bulls on Parade'. Also they have a simple but striking uniform in all its guises.
Thanks for that feedback mate. To be honest that's why I am thinking Texans or Panthers as I want a team that has not won the Superbowl be nice to have a team that hasn't so when they do I feel I was there from the start. Another reason why I was thinking about Texans is because from the pictures on Wikipedia the stadium looks amazing. I think I'm torn between the 2 as I like both their kits and badges, I like the Texans ground, and Panthers have Cam Newton so it's 50/50 at the moment lol. As I say though thanks for your input :)

colonelp
07.02.2013, 10:37 PM
You're welcome. I think you are choosing between two great teams, both young in existence but otherwise apples and oranges.

The Panthers seem to have a more controversial owner in Richardson, the fans like to grumble about him and he was a key figure in prolonging the lockout discussions. However, I havent read or seen much to fault him in the way he treats his own team and players. I also noted that the Panthers were rated as the most family friendly franchise if that interests you?! You wont get much trouble there and employees are very polite and helpful (from what I have read).

I probably have a similar mindset to you since I like both of these teams. Cam Newton is a blessing and a curse in my opinion - he is exceptionally gifted but he is known for his immaturity as much as his playing ability. I just hope that the team stays balanced around him and that the Panthers don't become overly reliant on his play making ability.

As a state, North Carolina really appeals to me - I understand Charlotte has a lot of transplants moving to the area as the city grows, but the greater area offers superb natural beauty including a decent coastline and the Smoky Mountains. A good place to live!

Getting back to football, the Panthers can play with some real grit and they showed that at the end of the season after they started so badly. In fact they had a number of losses that were decided by less than a score. There is some strong leaders in the team including Smith, Gross, Kalil and the impressive Kuechly. I also think Rivera comes across as a great guy and I believe that he will push the Panthers on to greater things next season.

Also the Panthers stadium is financed privately so they are relatively wealthy in that respect, and not indebted to the tax payers. Some random thoughts but perhaps they will help you make a decision.

colonelp
07.02.2013, 11:05 PM
Bob Mcnair showing a bit of class http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Bob-McNair-on-Super-Bowl-offseason/0cf63f4f-6588-40d0-a2eb-9727df65f5fe

wba1990
08.02.2013, 01:22 AM
You're welcome. I think you are choosing between two great teams, both young in existence but otherwise apples and oranges.

The Panthers seem to have a more controversial owner in Richardson, the fans like to grumble about him and he was a key figure in prolonging the lockout discussions. However, I havent read or seen much to fault him in the way he treats his own team and players. I also noted that the Panthers were rated as the most family friendly franchise if that interests you?! You wont get much trouble there and employees are very polite and helpful (from what I have read).

I probably have a similar mindset to you since I like both of these teams. Cam Newton is a blessing and a curse in my opinion - he is exceptionally gifted but he is known for his immaturity as much as his playing ability. I just hope that the team stays balanced around him and that the Panthers don't become overly reliant on his play making ability.

As a state, North Carolina really appeals to me - I understand Charlotte has a lot of transplants moving to the area as the city grows, but the greater area offers superb natural beauty including a decent coastline and the Smoky Mountains. A good place to live!

Getting back to football, the Panthers can play with some real grit and they showed that at the end of the season after they started so badly. In fact they had a number of losses that were decided by less than a score. There is some strong leaders in the team including Smith, Gross, Kalil and the impressive Kuechly. I also think Rivera comes across as a great guy and I believe that he will push the Panthers on to greater things next season.

Also the Panthers stadium is financed privately so they are relatively wealthy in that respect, and not indebted to the tax payers. Some random thoughts but perhaps they will help you make a decision.

Thanks for that info about the Panthers mate, it does really seem between Panthers and Texans for me, I did have the Lions as outsiders but don't seem as drawn to them as the other 2. I know I'm probably making this decision sound a lot harder than it is lol!

StevenMccormick12
08.02.2013, 04:43 PM
Tough defensively and a run game with a view to opening up the play action pass, something Schaub did very well the first 10-12 weeks of the season. Like mentioned Texans are a high character organisation, they don't like to make headlines for the wrong reasons. Top to bottom.
There aren't many of us but that just means it would be really good to see more fans choosing us when in a situation like yours *hint*

Tobytexans
02.08.2013, 09:57 AM
I have sported the texans from when I was about 4 I liked the logo and all that and I have kept with them even thought the hard times but it has all paid off now they are epic :)

jammy4041
26.08.2013, 08:16 PM
OK, so I may not be a Texans fan, but:

1. They're a well run franchise. The front office makes smart decisions. As a Broncos fan, I couldn't see a 'fax fiasco' in Houston. They make excellent draft picks, with players an excellent fit for the system.
2. The team is beggining to make good on its potential. They should easily win the division, despite Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts, and make progress in the playoffs.
3. Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing are worth the price of admission alone, and 'up there' amongst the best in football.
4. The team is the most balanced in football, right now, not the Broncos (no special teams) 49ers (no recievers) or Seahawks. Houston has a proper running game, and a wide reciever corps, with the defensive chops on the otherside of the ball to keep them in every single game.
5. Mike Carlson would also say that Matt Schaub is a Division II QB - but not quite elite (But with Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers, that's a compliment)
6. The people in Houston have a strong football history, and they worked very hard to get their football team back.

Marcus_H
10.10.2013, 12:38 PM

I have been watching this season as much as I can. The only other game I have watched was the Superbowl earlier this year. This sport is brilliant. I am not sure why I chose to follow the Texans. I kind of went for the love of the state Texas along with overall likeability of the team. This has sort of summed up why I made a good choice, especially as they haven't won the superbowl so seeing them win that one day would be brilliant.