PDA

View Full Version : Front 7 after the switch to 3-4?

jstinchy
10.02.2013, 08:02 PM
Just wondering what people expect the front 7 to look like following the move a 3-4 system. Specially what happens to Bunkley/Hicks and Hawthorne. I think Hicks can play RE but don't know what will happen to Bunkley, as for Hawthorne I don't know if he can be a pass rushing OLB so maybe he moves inside with him Vilma and Lofton rotating. Interested on the views of others

beer_bart
13.05.2013, 10:49 AM
There's plenty of options after the draft now. I think Jenkins has a case of starting day one. Bunkley looked quite ordinary last year. (IMO)

I think the DE's will be Jordan and Gallette. OLB will be between Butler/Hawthorne/Martez Wilson etc. Plus we signed an undrafted free agent with quite a good reputation, not sure of the name.

The middle LB's will be Vilma and Lofton I think.

neer911
15.05.2013, 05:13 PM
I reckon there'll be a lot more rotation going on this season in the front 7 as there's more competition / less clear-cut starters & back-ups.

Will Smith and Cam Jordan will start at the two DE spots with Hicks (Coleman too) backing up both.
NT will be either Jenkins or Bunkley, but I expect Bunkley to start and will be pleasantly surprised if J.J. pips him to start at NT.
ILB spots will be between Vilma, Lofton and Hawthorne, with Lofton a guaranteed starter and the other spot to go to either of the other two.
Galette, Wilson and Butler will have OLB between them, with Galette and one of the other 2 starting.

beer_bart
17.05.2013, 07:55 AM
I reckon there'll be a lot more rotation going on this season in the front 7 as there's more competition / less clear-cut starters & back-ups.

Will Smith and Cam Jordan will start at the two DE spots with Hicks (Coleman too) backing up both.
NT will be either Jenkins or Bunkley, but I expect Bunkley to start and will be pleasantly surprised if J.J. pips him to start at NT.
ILB spots will be between Vilma, Lofton and Hawthorne, with Lofton a guaranteed starter and the other spot to go to either of the other two.
Galette, Wilson and Butler will have OLB between them, with Galette and one of the other 2 starting.

Stupidly thought Smith was a free agent this year! So agree he'll be the other starting DE. Who is Coleman?

neer911
17.05.2013, 10:03 AM
Stupidly thought Smith was a free agent this year! So agree he'll be the other starting DE. Who is Coleman?

Coleman's the 3-4 DE FA that Rex Ryan brought over with him from the Cowboys. He's far from being a starter, but I think he'd be covering the DE position behind Hicks and the 2 starters (Smith and Cam Jordan).
And keeping in mind that Hicks is also #3 in the NT depth chart (I think - behind Bunkley and newly-drafted John Jenkins), so I think we will see Coleman on the field fairly often.

beer_bart
13.06.2013, 08:51 AM
Well I doubt Butler will feature now, he tore his ACL yesterday.

neer911
15.06.2013, 10:56 AM
Gutted about that. I had him as the strong-side starter. It'll be Martez Wilson now by default. Hopefully they bring in some additional depth at the position because having Chase Thomas and possibly Ramon Humber backing Tez up doesn't fill me with confidence.

lee909
17.07.2013, 05:16 PM
Smith is converting to OLB,he will be good against the run but he wont be a good pass rusher these days.I think its his last season with the Saints as the cap situation is not good next year and Smith and Harper could be casualties.
I think the starters will be

Galette-Lofton-Vilma-Wilson
--Hicks-Jenkins-Jordan

Rotation
Smith-Chamberlain-Hawthrone-Thomas
---Coleman--Bunkley-Johnson

Its will be interesting how the UFA Chase Thomas and Kevin Reddick do in camp.Both were expected to be drafted in rounds 3-6.Thomas is a OLB and Reddick and bit of a thumping ILB. Rufus Johnson is another worth watching he was a big DE(6'5 270lb) who is being expected to covert to OLB as a pass rusher but could play on the line aswell.

Should be interesting to see the teamunder Ryan as he likes to change things up and at times plays a front 6 with a additional safety.Harper may be able to get back to his pass rushing best.

glynners
15.08.2013, 09:27 AM
After that 1st pre-season game I refuse to live in a world where Will Smith can remain a starter in the NFL

He was poor at DE... he looks overweight & lost at OLB

Very happy with the front 3 of Hick, Bunkley, Jordan... Jenkins will push Bunkley all the way too

Hicks is going to make alot of people pay attention to him this year, I can feel it in my water

Glenn Foster the UDFA looks like he could be pushing for a place in the rotation too

neer911
17.08.2013, 10:27 PM
After that 1st pre-season game I refuse to live in a world where Will Smith can remain a starter in the NFL

He was poor at DE... he looks overweight & lost at OLB

Very happy with the front 3 of Hick, Bunkley, Jordan... Jenkins will push Bunkley all the way too

Hicks is going to make alot of people pay attention to him this year, I can feel it in my water

Glenn Foster the UDFA looks like he could be pushing for a place in the rotation too

Agree with everything. However, Smith played well against the Raiders. His pass rush was effective and so was his run support. It's worrying seeing him drop into coverage though.

I think Bunkley will hold the NT position down for most of the season. He's solid against the run, albeit slightly undersized. Jenkins has that penetrative ability though, which may be useful on 3rd down situations.

And with Coleman gone for the season, Foster may well make the roster. Hicks, Jordan, Bunkley and Jenkins will be joined by 3 of either Tom Johnson, Tyrunn Walker, Glenn Foster and Jay Richardson. I say 3 because Richardson is a bit of a tweener and can/will play the OLB spot too.

On a side note, Ramon Humber looked extremely impressive against the Raiders. 9 tackles including a sack in limited time - quality!

glynners
19.08.2013, 11:50 AM
Humber looked like a man possessed on Friday night, he knows theres a place in the starting lineup up for grabs

Agree Smith did look better (everyone did and the Raiders looked like theyd be lucky to win a game off that performance) but I just dont see him as a viable option as a starter... role player yes, but its alot of money to have tied up in a role player

The Texans oline should give us a much better indication of where everyone is at. If we can pressure schuab and slow down that run game then I might start allowing myself to get a bit excited

AS for the final roster, I couldnt hazard a guess as to who makes it.. so much young potential at various positions that we're gonna have to make some difficult cuts