PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Titans: Season Preview

THE_TITAN
11.08.2013, 11:29 PM
TENNESSEE TITANS 2013-14 SEASON PREVIEW

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2012/08/20/lockerx-large.jpg

The Titans go into their third season with Hall Of Fame offensive guard Mike Munchak at the helm. It is perhaps a make or break year for him and his coaching staff as 90 year old Bud Adams is looking for immediate success.

Most eyes will be on Jake Locker, the third year signal caller has not shown the consistency required to be a successful starting quarterback in the NFL as of yet. It will be up to him to prove his critics wrong in the upcoming season and he certainly has the physical tools to do so. Locker possesses a cannon of an arm and 4.5 speed. When Locker was drafted 8th overall many analysts suggested that he and Munchak would be tied at the hip, that has proven to be the case. It is unlikely that the Titans will reach the Playoffs this season unless Jake Locker can show significant improvement and consistency in his position as the leader of the offense.

An eventful 2013 off-season for the Titans has added some much need veteran talent to the team. Andy Levitre and Bernard Pollard add some leadership and experience to the team that was much needed. Pollard, especially, can instil a toughness and winning mentality to the defensive side of the ball that has been lacking since Jeff Fisher's departure. Along with Levitre, the Titans drafted young Guard Chance Warmack out of Alabama to quell remaining concerns over the offensive line. Dowell Loggains, the Titans new offensive coordinator, will be happy to see this as he is looking to lead a run-first offense in 2013-14.

Munchak also raised eyebrows by bringing back Gregg Williams as a senior defensive assistant. Williams remains a controversial figure in the NFL after his bountygate scandal, but no one can deny his abilities as a defensive coach. He will be looking to transform Jerry Gray's embattled defence from a passive unit to an aggressive unit. Look for some exotic blitz packages to be used with Akeem Ayers and Derrick Morgan to be the likely beneficiaries in sack numbers.

Even with the high amount of overturn (which will require time to gel) the Titans have to make the Playoffs if the ownership's ambitions are to be satisfied. If they do not then we could see an even greater amount of overturn next off-season with likely a new coaching staff and starting quarterback. Munchak and co. will be eager to make sure that such events do not occur.

http://0.tqn.com/d/nashville/1/0/n/2/3/134163672_10.jpg

Projected 53-man Roster:

QB: Jake Locker/Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB: Chris Johnson/Shonn Greene/Jackie Battle
FB: Quinn Johnson
WR: Kenny Britt/Kendall Wright/Nate Washington/Justin Hunter/Damian Williams/Marc Mariani
TE: Delanie Walker/Taylor Thompson/Craig Stevens
OT: Michael Roos/David Stewart/Mike Otto/Byron Stingily
OG: Andy Levitre/Chance Warmack/Fernando Velasco/Chris Spencer
C: Robert Turner/Brian Schwenke

DE: Derrick Morgan/Ropati Potoitua/Kamerion Wimbley/Lavar Edwards
DT: Jurrell Casey/Sammie Hill/Mike Martin/Karl Klug
SLB: Akeem Ayers/Scott Solomon
MLB: Colin McCarthy/Moise Fokou/Gary Guyton
WLB: Zach Brown/Zaviar Gooden
CB: Jason McCourty/Alterraun Verner/Tommie Campbell/Coty Sensabaugh/Blidi Wreh-Wilson/Khalid Wooten
SS: Bernard Pollard/George Wilson
FS: Michael Griffin/Corey Lynch

LS: Beau Brinkley
P: Brett Kern
K: Rob Bironas

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0730/lp_580.jpg

Schedule Analysis:

Optimistic Prediction -

A Pittsburgh Steelers: Win - I'm going optimistic here, the Steelers have some injuries and I think we could just nick this one.
A Houston Texans: Loss - Texans will be too good at home.
H San Diego Chargers: Win - The Chargers are in transition and we're at home.
H New York Jets: Win - Their whole organisation is in disarray so we edge them at LP Field.
H Kansas City Chiefs: Win - This could be a loss under Reid's new regime but I go with the home side.
A Seattle Seahawks: Loss - Seattle's defence is too good.
H San Francisco 49ers: Loss - Once again we are stifled by an excellent defence.
A St Louis Rams: Win - Revenge for the Super Bowl defeat!
H Jacksonville Jaguars: Win - We beat the Jags at home as per usual.
H Indianapolis Colts: Win - We should have won last season, this season we finish the job.
A Oakland Raiders: Win - It's the Raiders...
A Indianapolis Colts: Loss - Indy edge us away from home.
A Denver Broncos: Loss - One of the best current teams in the NFL, I'd be shocked if we won.
H Arizona Cardinals : Win - We snap a two game losing streak with a close win at home.
A Jacksonville Jaguars: Win - I can see us doing the double over the Jags this season (sorry Jags fans).
H Houston Texans: Win - Pushing hard for the playoffs we come away with the win.

Predicted Record: 11-5

OK now I know many people will laugh at me for this highly optimistic prediction, but it is totally feasible. If Jake Locker is the QB that all Titans fans know he can be then he could certainly propel us to this record. It's not unheard of, teams coming out of mediocrity to become legitimate challengers, the 49ers and Seahawks have both managed to do it with young and inexperienced QBs. This prediction could be totally wrong and I could certainly see a 6-10 record out of this schedule if Locker does not improve. But once again this is the optimistic prediction and 11-5 could happen if all the pieces fall in to place for Munchak and co..

Pessimistic Prediction -

A Pittsburgh Steelers: Loss - Strong side at home.
A Houston Texans: Loss - Texans will be too good at home.
H San Diego Chargers: Loss - Our bogey team.
H New York Jets: Win - Their whole organisation is in disarray so we edge them at LP Field.
H Kansas City Chiefs: Loss - Reid beats us.
A Seattle Seahawks: Loss - Seattle's defence is too good.
H San Francisco 49ers: Loss - Once again we are stifled by an excellent defence.
A St Louis Rams: Loss - Fisher beats his former side.
H Jacksonville Jaguars: Win - We beat the Jags at home as per usual.
H Indianapolis Colts: Win - We should have won last season, this season we finish the job.
A Oakland Raiders: Win - It's the Raiders...
A Indianapolis Colts: Loss - Indy edge us away from home.
A Denver Broncos: Loss - One of the best current teams in the NFL, I'd be shocked if we won.
H Arizona Cardinals : Loss - Palmer and Arians just beat us
A Jacksonville Jaguars: Loss - We split the series again.
H Houston Texans: Loss - Texans do the double.

Predicted Record: 4-12

colonelp
12.08.2013, 10:14 PM
Nice article, very informative too. I tend to think the 11 - 5 prediction will be closer. I fancy the Titans to nudge ahead of the Colts this year and give the Texans a much closer run.

glangon
13.08.2013, 11:50 AM
Nice summary and agree with this mainly.

You are spot on that we need to win all of our home games or as near dammit to even think about a playoff spot and with our schedule, I think that's doable

We start at home with the Chargers, Jets and Chiefs. If you are looking at 3 of the poorer teams in the NFL, let me introduce you to the Chargers, Jets and Chiefs.

Ok the Chiefs have got Reid in and are looking stronger, but the Jets are in disarray and the confidence in Rivers is shot, I would fully expect us to take all 3 games.

Our next 3 games are 49'ers, Jags and Colts. I agree that if we are going to lose, then it's to the 49'ers who are many people's pick for the Super Bowl. However, being at home, you never know.

The Jags are rebuilding and are in disarray and if we can keep MJD quiet, then we should win that one.

The Colts game is key to our season. A win here and the playoffs are possible, but a win is all about keeping Luck under pressure and keeping the Defense strong.

Our last two home games are to the Arizona Cardinals who again are poor and we should win that one easily and the Houston Texans who we have done well against in the past at home.

If we can remain in the hunt for that last game, you never know.

Optimistically 7-1 at home. Pessimistally 5-3 with losses to 49'ers, Texans and Colts.

On the road is tougher to start with, but I like having to play the Steelers first. We have a good record against them and they have injuries and aren't as strong offensively. I fancy us to win that one.

Then it's Houston. If we can get a win on the road against Houston in Week 2, then I would make us division favourites with a potential 13-3 record. I honestly see us losing that one.

Our 3rd away game is against the excellent Seahawks. If we can stifle their running game, put pressure on Wilson and find away through their awesone defense, then I make us 16-0 for the season. Realistically, I expect a loss here.

Then we get a couple of easier road games with the Rams and the Raiders.

Although the Rams have improved, if we want to make the playoffs, this is a game that we should be targetting to win. I honestly think we can do that. Fisher, though, may come back to haunt us. If we lost, I see us with a losing record overall and not making the playoffs. I do see a win here.

Then we have the Raiders, this really should be an easy game. The raiders have QB, WR and DEF issues. Their biggest strength is their kicker and then their injury prone RB. We should win this one. If we lose, we are looking at an early round draft pick next year, potentially a new QB.

Then we hit two tough away games in the Colts and the Broncos.

Hopefully we should have some momentum going into the Colts game and If that is the case, I reckon we can pull the win over them. It'll be tough but if we are to reach the playoff, we need to win within our division. Realistically, it should be a loss here.

Broncos next, we need to get past their strong defence, cripple Manning, and outmark Thomas and Dekker........ I don't see it happening. Another Loss.

We finish with the Jags on the road. The awful terrible Jags who hopefully will be beaten, bruised and demoralised by the time we get them and we should win this one.

I make it a 4-4 record on the road, pessamistically a 2-6 record.

Optimistally, I see an 11-5 record for the season, pessamisticaly a 7-9 season, with a mean and more likely 9-7 season, perhaps sneaking into the playoffs or missing out by the skin of our teeth.

I think we are better this year, but alot relies on Locker and whether he can cope under the pressure.

The key games to our season are Pittsburgh (a), San Diego (h), St Louis (a), Indiannapolis (h). If we can win these games, we are play off bound.

Titan4Life
27.08.2013, 12:39 PM
We should in theory finish better then we did last season.
Some very good moves by the front office in the off season, especially in rearranging the O Line. 2 decent guards in Levitre and Warmack coming in from the start, between 2 accomplished tackles in Stewart and Roos. And I like the look of Chris Schwenke coming in and winning the battle for the Centre starting position.
All positive additions IMO with the only exception of having lost Cook to the Rams and getting Walker what with now his health concerns.
Also love the addition of Jackie Battle, he looked really good last season, great pick-up.
It's Deffo Munchak's last chance this season as we know Bud wants the big one NOW!
In terms of schedule I can see us very much going into the bye week at 4-3.

@ Pittsburgh - Win
@ Houston - Loss
San Diego - Win
NY Jets - Win
Kansas City - Win
@ Seattle - Loss
San Fran - Loss
BYE
@ St Louis - Win
Jacksonville - Win
Indianapolis - Win
@ Oakland - Win
@ Indianapolis - Loss
@ Denver - Loss
Arizona - Win
@ Jacksonville - Loss
Houston - Win

10-6

Gaztee72
02.09.2013, 05:20 PM
Loving the articles written about our boys in blue here. Thought I would add in my 2 cents on how I think our season will pan out. Gotta say I'm a lot more pessimistic than everyone else!

@ Pittsburgh - Loss - Steelers away will just have too much for us.
@ Houston - Loss - Still have ground to make up on best team in division
San Diego - Loss - Bogey team. No logic to this just they always seem to win!
NY Jets - Win - C'mon its the Jets & I think they'll be worse than last year!
Kansas City - Loss - Think they'll have improved enough this year
@ Seattle - Loss - One of the best teams this year!
San Fran - Loss - See Seattle!
@ St Louis - Loss - Fisher & the old titans to dish out some payback
Jacksonville - Win - we tend to split the series with this lot, so win @ home
Indianapolis - Loss - If we couldn't beat this lot last year, don't see it now!
@ Oakland - Loss - On the fence with this one, but as they're at home!
@ Indianapolis - Loss - See no Luck here!
@ Denver - Loss - See Seattle
Arizona - Loss - Wonder if we'll have a new HC by this point?? Better than people expect them to be!
@ Jacksonville - Loss - See previous Jags comment!
Houston - Win - Starters will be rested for the Post season

I think we have a tough schedule which is the reason for my predictions. Like many I'm not sure that the coaching staff we have are up to the task. I like the addition of Williams to help with the D, but I'm not convinced the offensive will click enough to outscore a lot of the opposition.

Truly hope I'm wrong & everyone can have a laugh at this come January!

grahamsharkey
03.09.2013, 03:49 PM
Loving the articles written about our boys in blue here. Thought I would add in my 2 cents on how I think our season will pan out. Gotta say I'm a lot more pessimistic than everyone else!

@ Jacks

Yeah, you sure are a little pessimistic. I think I might be depressed after reading that run down. Haha.

Seriously though, this is a massive season for Tennessee - I still think there is work to be done with our defensive weapons - Likewise I think our offence is going to be somewhat jittery, but I truly believe we have finally laid some great foundations to build off. I am team Locker all the way!

I jest about your pessimistic view, but in all good conscious - I can see us having a complete meltdown, or stepping up and going the complete other way.

If we start strong, there are a few 'swing' games, which if we win will be all the difference to us grabbing a widcard spot. It's an interesting time to be a Titans fan, that's for sure.

@ Pittsburgh - WIN
@ Houston - Loss
San Diego - WIN
NY Jets - Win -
Kansas City - Loss/WIN
@ Seattle - Loss
San Fran - Loss -
@ St Louis - Loss/WIN
Jacksonville - WIN
Indianapolis - WIN -
@ Oakland - WIN
@ Indianapolis - LOSS
@ Denver - Loss
Arizona - Loss/WIN
@ Jacksonville - WIN
Houston - LOSS

Best case scenario - 10-6
Minus those 'swing' games, we go - 7-9

Gaztee72
04.09.2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, you sure are a little pessimistic. I think I might be depressed after reading that run down. Haha.

Seriously though, this is a massive season for Tennessee - I still think there is work to be done with our defensive weapons - Likewise I think our offence is going to be somewhat jittery, but I truly believe we have finally laid some great foundations to build off. I am team Locker all the way!

I jest about your pessimistic view, but in all good conscious - I can see us having a complete meltdown, or stepping up and going the complete other way.

If we start strong, there are a few 'swing' games, which if we win will be all the difference to us grabbing a widcard spot. It's an interesting time to be a Titans fan, that's for sure.

@ Pittsburgh - WIN
@ Houston - Loss
San Diego - WIN
NY Jets - Win -
Kansas City - Loss/WIN
@ Seattle - Loss
San Fran - Loss -
@ St Louis - Loss/WIN
Jacksonville - WIN
Indianapolis - WIN -
@ Oakland - WIN
@ Indianapolis - LOSS
@ Denver - Loss
Arizona - Loss/WIN
@ Jacksonville - WIN
Houston - LOSS

Best case scenario - 10-6
Minus those 'swing' games, we go - 7-9

Its definitely an interesting time to be a titans fan. I've tried to take any bias out of my predictions. I really do worry about the skill of the coaching staff on the team. I for sure think we have many very good offensive weapons & the defense has been improved too. I am hoping that what has been put in place takes us back to at least a 9-7 season. Even that though might not be enough to save Munch! Bud wants to win now & they have invested quite heavily this off season, but realistically they're not going to the post season! So I see all change for us in the next off season!

I guess Sunday will give us a good benchmark. We should be capable of beating what appears a pretty weak Steelers outfit. If we can do that I feel it'll be much more in line with what the rest of you say, than I say! :D

THE_TITAN
04.09.2013, 10:42 PM
We need to add some defensive playmakers in the next couple of drafts and free agency if we ever want to compete for a Super Bowl in the next few seasons.

And that's not taking into account the fact that CJ2K is an ageing runner and isn't going to last forever (maybe 4 or 5 more seasons as a main back AT THE MOST) and we're not even sure if Jake Locker is a true franchise QB yet...

Teddy Bridgewater or Jadeveon Clowney aren't be consolation prizes if we do end up tanking the season, though I would suspect we would be more in a position to acquire the Bradley Robys of this world as opposed to the Bridgewaters or Clowneys.

I'm comfortable with our offensive line right now and our RB and WR corps. Semi-comfortable in our defensive line in that I think Derrick Morgan and Jurrell Casey are legitimately good and should be in Pro Bowl contention. We likely need to add another good DE and maybe a new MLB if we are to be solid in our defensive front seven going forward.

One thing I am REALLY concerned about though is our secondary. I am not wholly comfortable with any of our cornerbacks. I think Jason McCourty is good but should really be more of a #2 corner than a #1 guy. Michael Griffin is only useful as a roving ballhawk, anything to do with tackling he's useless and Pollard is the exact opposite. Sorting out our secondary will be a number 1 priority next off-season methinks.

Anyway let's hope I'm wrong and we go all the way this season. Go Titans!

grahamsharkey
10.09.2013, 08:11 AM
What a great start..... well, it's a win!

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't eloquent, but do we care? NO! I think Tennessee are now succombing to the fact that we are not going to have an offence like the New England Patriots, and so we should just play how we play and evidently that's a tough, ground and pound football. Greene / Battle & Johnson is a very potent running game.

Locker looked a little shaky, but I can forgive that in week 1, but we need to improve next week when we will have no excuses.

Onto the DEF - Two words; Jerrell Casey! What a play maker. The guys is an animal! We rushed the passer better than any other team on Sunday. Not only that, but we did it against the Blitzburgh Steelers. The one point to note, which may be knit picking, but we are giving up too many yards after the carry, and it's mainly to wide outs - Our corner backs need to up their game. I love McCourty in open play, he's a hawk - but he's got to be smashing receivers. If he does, we stop a lot of unnecessary 1st downs.

What are your thoughts guys?

Whitey1990
10.09.2013, 08:35 AM
What a great start..... well, it's a win!

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't eloquent, but do we care? NO! I think Tennessee are now succombing to the fact that we are not going to have an offence like the New England Patriots, and so we should just play how we play and evidently that's a tough, ground and pound football. Greene / Battle & Johnson is a very potent running game.

Locker looked a little shaky, but I can forgive that in week 1, but we need to improve next week when we will have no excuses.

Onto the DEF - Two words; Jerrell Casey! What a play maker. The guys is an animal! We rushed the passer better than any other team on Sunday. Not only that, but we did it against the Blitzburgh Steelers. The one point to note, which may be knit picking, but we are giving up too many yards after the carry, and it's mainly to wide outs - Our corner backs need to up their game. I love McCourty in open play, he's a hawk - but he's got to be smashing receivers. If he does, we stop a lot of unnecessary 1st downs.

What are your thoughts guys?

Cant argue with any of that. It was certainly not the best game to watch (unless your a titan ;)) I am a big fan of this smash mouth running. We are now playing to our strengths and that's what we need to continue to do.

Jake Locker just needs to continue to improve on his passing game. If we continue with Lots of shots simple passing routs, his confidence will grow.

I don't think anyone apart from us Titan fans predict we can get to the playoffs. Everyone still thinks we are a below par team and aren't considered any challenge :rolleyes: I believe this year we will reach the playoffs and prove all our critics wrong

GO Titans!!

Gaztee72
12.09.2013, 04:34 AM
Didn't get to see the game, as I'm out the country for most of the first half of the season! I knew it would be ugly, but its a great start. I think we will have a better yard stick to measure progress this weekend. Lets go get some Texan. They've kick our asses at reliant the last couple of years, its payback time!!;)

Gaztee72
18.09.2013, 03:21 AM
Nobody got anything to say about a game we should have won in Houston???
Hopefully that result shows everyone else was right to be positive about our season. Just need Kenny Britt to get his head in the game now! Titan Up!

Titan4Life
18.09.2013, 03:49 PM
Hopefully that result shows everyone else was right to be positive about our season. Just need Kenny Britt to get his head in the game now! Titan Up!

We were that close to beating Houston at home against the noise and that great defence.
It shows how far we have come from the dismal year we had last.
The D are looking good and I think it has alot to do with Gregg Williams.
But Locker is still looking rather average, look for Loggains to open up the offence soon hopefully and I think we should give Jake more time instead of asking Fitz to jump in rite away.
Really impressed by the new additions Battle, Walker and Pollard.

grahamsharkey
19.09.2013, 11:19 AM

I've been too angry to type since the game, which was so good! I, along with all of you was so proud of the team, and to be a Titans fan (When was the last time we could say that with a straight face?) - like you guys have said - We got it done on D against a superbowl contending offence. Pollard said it best post-game "We beat the **** out of them".

Again, nothing new but my faith in Locker is dwindling somewhat. Just hasn't found his feet yet, but how long can we go with him looking for them? No denying that we would have won that game and been 2-0 had he put up more yards.

I love the direction our offence is going in, and I am confident Locker has the goods - but is he in need of another back-up year in a solid team (which he hasn't had).

Gregg Williams influence has been great, and I think Munchak is loving it!

So, why am I fuming? Well, we beat the hell out of the Steelers, who were beated by the Bengals 20-10 - no great margin, thus Steelers are still a good side despite injuries, yet when we beat them everyone wrote it off as their D being majorly banged up!

Week 2 we take it to the TEXANS (AT HOME!!) and turn up at their house and smash them all over the park on D and yet we are getting ZERO love from any "analysts" (Minus Dave Dameshek, who I am convinced is a closet Titan).
We have come such a long way for those idiots to ignore us. No doubt it's because "Tennessee" and "Titans" doesn't attract enough SEO hits for NFL.com...... arrrgghh so frustrating.

However, Vegas look like they know whats up... Ten big favs this Sunday (rightly so) against a team similar to us in terms of being written off but with talent to burn. Should be a great game and we can continue to put the hits in and go 2-1!!

TITAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whitey1990
19.09.2013, 03:41 PM
I've been too angry to type since the game, which was so good! I, along with all of you was so proud of the team, and to be a Titans fan (When was the last time we could say that with a straight face?) - like you guys have said - We got it done on D against a superbowl contending offence. Pollard said it best post-game "We beat the **** out of them".

Again, nothing new but my faith in Locker is dwindling somewhat. Just hasn't found his feet yet, but how long can we go with him looking for them? No denying that we would have won that game and been 2-0 had he put up more yards.

I love the direction our offence is going in, and I am confident Locker has the goods - but is he in need of another back-up year in a solid team (which he hasn't had).

Gregg Williams influence has been great, and I think Munchak is loving it!

So, why am I fuming? Well, we beat the hell out of the Steelers, who were beated by the Bengals 20-10 - no great margin, thus Steelers are still a good side despite injuries, yet when we beat them everyone wrote it off as their D being majorly banged up!

Week 2 we take it to the TEXANS (AT HOME!!) and turn up at their house and smash them all over the park on D and yet we are getting ZERO love from any "analysts" (Minus Dave Dameshek, who I am convinced is a closet Titan).
We have come such a long way for those idiots to ignore us. No doubt it's because "Tennessee" and "Titans" doesn't attract enough SEO hits for NFL.com...... arrrgghh so frustrating.

However, Vegas look like they know whats up... Ten big favs this Sunday (rightly so) against a team similar to us in terms of being written off but with talent to burn. Should be a great game and we can continue to put the hits in and go 2-1!!

TITAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, cant disagree with any of that. No matter how many games we win - it will always be a case of 'our opposition played poor'. We don't seem to get any credit

2012 6 10
2011 9 7
2010 6 10
2009 8 8
2008 13 3
2007 10 6
2006 8 8
2005 4 12
2004 5 11
2003 12 4
2002 11 5
2001 7 9
2000 13 3
1999 13 3
1998 8 8
1997 8 8
1996 8 8

looking back at our season records we have done nothing to deserve the way we are treated by the media. We are a team that are capable to win any game and are not to be underestimated!

By the end of this year we will have another Winning Season to add to the list

Titan Up!!!!

Whitey1990
19.09.2013, 03:48 PM

Back on track :)

That was a good performance at the weekend - a much better team compared to last year, but still got room to improve

Locker really needs to step his game up or else Fitz will be stepping in to to the job. Personally i really like Locker as i think he has good potential but i have been saying this for 3 years... (i want results from him... not potential)

Chargers game should be a good one. Hopefully our D puts in another good performance and CJ can get his first break of the season

Titan4Life
19.09.2013, 06:27 PM

TITAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all the years of following Tennessee I have never know our guys to have any big coverage or analysts breaking down our team in depth.
Not even in our Super Bowl season did we until the big dance get much TV time.
I think this is just down to the market size E.G New York = huge market.

grahamsharkey
20.09.2013, 10:24 AM
Back on track :)

That was a good performance at the weekend - a much better team compared to last year, but still got room to improve

Locker really needs to step his game up or else Fitz will be stepping in to to the job. Personally i really like Locker as i think he has good potential but i have been saying this for 3 years... (i want results from him... not potential)

Chargers game should be a good one. Hopefully our D puts in another good performance and CJ can get his first break of the season

I totally agree re: Locker - It's all well and good us believing in his potential, but when is the cut off line? Three year, albeit two of those were disrupted by injury/shocking team, etc. They have built the offence around him, by season's end I think we'll have to re-asses our expectations.

@Titan4life - Yes - unfortunately you are right, we are just not a big enough franchise for the wider media, which is a shame. I can accept it from a media / prime time game slots, but for supposed 'unbiased' analysts on NFL network who you would think are catering to football fans they would shed light where it's warranted. Oh well, at least we have this forum, and we can be safe in the knowledge of how good our boys are doing!

Chargers are going to be a big test for us. I don't think Matthews is going to get a sniff against our D, but depending on which Phillip Rivers turns up, their aerial attack is potent.

Anyone else always a little nervous when the ball comes in the direction of McCorty?

Hoping Britt bounces back and gets himself reunited with the end-zone - will be such a shame to see him sulking, but if he chooses to then it's his loss; enter Justin Hunter. On the note of Britt, I was glad to see Munchak sit him out of the game. Needs to assert himself as a no-nonsense coach. We have numerous options at most positions, so that should increase competitiveness.

I like us for the win on Sunday. 27-17

Whitey1990
20.09.2013, 02:43 PM
I totally agree re: Locker - It's all well and good us believing in his potential, but when is the cut off line? Three year, albeit two of those were disrupted by injury/shocking team, etc. They have built the offence around him, by season's end I think we'll have to re-asses our expectations.

@Titan4life - Yes - unfortunately you are right, we are just not a big enough franchise for the wider media, which is a shame. I can accept it from a media / prime time game slots, but for supposed 'unbiased' analysts on NFL network who you would think are catering to football fans they would shed light where it's warranted. Oh well, at least we have this forum, and we can be safe in the knowledge of how good our boys are doing!

Chargers are going to be a big test for us. I don't think Matthews is going to get a sniff against our D, but depending on which Phillip Rivers turns up, their aerial attack is potent.

Anyone else always a little nervous when the ball comes in the direction of McCorty?

Hoping Britt bounces back and gets himself reunited with the end-zone - will be such a shame to see him sulking, but if he chooses to then it's his loss; enter Justin Hunter. On the note of Britt, I was glad to see Munchak sit him out of the game. Needs to assert himself as a no-nonsense coach. We have numerous options at most positions, so that should increase competitiveness.

I like us for the win on Sunday. 27-17

I think we have pretty much lost Britt which is a shame as he has the potential to be great - Too many off the field problems and a bad attitude is not what Tennessee are looking for. He has already said to the press that he will unlikely be playing for us next year.

It must be difficult to be a receiver in a run heavy offence. Especially for Britt as he 'thinks' he is a superstar and deserves loads of attention :rolleyes:

grahamsharkey
21.09.2013, 10:10 PM
Like you say - We are clearly pursuing a run heavy offence, and to be honest if he isn't going to change his antics, we won't miss him. Sure, I will be the first to say he has unlimited upside, but it comes down to numbers, and they just aren't there beside his name. He is, unfortunately, likely to become a "what could have been" receiver.

As I previously mentioned, the back room staff at LP aren't stupid, they got Hunter for a reason. Britt will be looking for a big contract, and I don't think they will give it to him on another average season.

Absolutely buzzing for tomorrows game now.

TITAN UP!

grahamsharkey
22.09.2013, 08:17 PM
I am jumping about the place..... What a win, what a drive, what a catch. That's how we do it! Tennessee are never beaten. Locker has shown in back to back games that he can march the length of a football field at will, when he wants to.

Oh my am I going to enjoy this. We're 2-1 and just think, how near we were to being 3-0.

TITAN UP!

Whitey1990
22.09.2013, 08:39 PM
I am jumping about the place..... What a win, what a drive, what a catch. That's how we do it! Tennessee are never beaten. Locker has shown in back to back games that he can march the length of a football field at will, when he wants to.

Oh my am I going to enjoy this. We're 2-1 and just think, how near we were to being 3-0.

TITAN UP!

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! I honestly am running around daft atm haha The ups and downs that the Titans put you through are unbelievable. I really did not think we had it in us to turn that last drive in to a touchdown!

We never seem to have a game where one team wins by a mile... its always a close game and its certainly not good for the heart

GET IN!!!! 2-1 :D:D:D:D

TITAN UP!!!

Charlie32
22.09.2013, 09:01 PM
Well we certainly play heart in mouth football, what a game second week running. I really feared with a couple of minutes left that I might be left heart broken again, but Jake stepped up and showed what he can really do, and silenced his critics!

Huge game by Jake even before the final drive, all of his rushes were absolutely massive for us, getting us first downs when we really needed them. If it wasn't for a number of drops, and a bad call on that first Washington incompletion that we challenged (The second was a waste of a time out I thought could cost us).

Absolutely elated though, no turnovers through 3 weeks is extremely impressive, and that's the number 1 reason we will not get blown out once this season, despite our schedule!

Great to see Hunter get his first reception, and what a catch too. Just as well that he looks like he's coming through strong, as I don't see Britt featuring much more this season.

Finally, penalties!! These have to be controlled, say what you want about the officials, but whether they're being unfair or not the number we gave up in the first half is just ridiculous, and could have absolutely killed the game for us.

But that aside, go Titans! I dare say our schedule eases up a little now, but every game is huge, have high hopes though.

Whitey1990
23.09.2013, 08:29 AM
Well we certainly play heart in mouth football, what a game second week running. I really feared with a couple of minutes left that I might be left heart broken again, but Jake stepped up and showed what he can really do, and silenced his critics!

Huge game by Jake even before the final drive, all of his rushes were absolutely massive for us, getting us first downs when we really needed them. If it wasn't for a number of drops, and a bad call on that first Washington incompletion that we challenged (The second was a waste of a time out I thought could cost us).

Absolutely elated though, no turnovers through 3 weeks is extremely impressive, and that's the number 1 reason we will not get blown out once this season, despite our schedule!

Great to see Hunter get his first reception, and what a catch too. Just as well that he looks like he's coming through strong, as I don't see Britt featuring much more this season.

Finally, penalties!! These have to be controlled, say what you want about the officials, but whether they're being unfair or not the number we gave up in the first half is just ridiculous, and could have absolutely killed the game for us.

But that aside, go Titans! I dare say our schedule eases up a little now, but every game is huge, have high hopes though.

We nearly lost the game because of penalties - Hopefully Munchak will sort this problem out this week!

I must say i am truly impressed with our Defensive performance again - holding the chargers to just 184 yard passing and 89 yard rushing. Phillip Rivers doesnt often throw for less than 200 yards in their pass heavy offence.

My slight concern is our 6/14 third down success - this has to improve if we wish to continue winning games.

anyway... Well Done Lads!! Keep It Up!!

Whitey1990
23.09.2013, 08:31 AM
We should in theory finish better then we did last season.
Some very good moves by the front office in the off season, especially in rearranging the O Line. 2 decent guards in Levitre and Warmack coming in from the start, between 2 accomplished tackles in Stewart and Roos. And I like the look of Chris Schwenke coming in and winning the battle for the Centre starting position.
All positive additions IMO with the only exception of having lost Cook to the Rams and getting Walker what with now his health concerns.
Also love the addition of Jackie Battle, he looked really good last season, great pick-up.
It's Deffo Munchak's last chance this season as we know Bud wants the big one NOW!
In terms of schedule I can see us very much going into the bye week at 4-3.

@ Pittsburgh - Win
@ Houston - Loss
San Diego - Win
NY Jets - Win
Kansas City - Win
@ Seattle - Loss
San Fran - Loss
BYE
@ St Louis - Win
Jacksonville - Win
Indianapolis - Win
@ Oakland - Win
@ Indianapolis - Loss
@ Denver - Loss
Arizona - Win
@ Jacksonville - Loss
Houston - Win

10-6

Your predictions are correct so far... Hope it continues!! :D

(apart from loosing at Jacksonville - that would be embarrassing ;))

glangon
23.09.2013, 10:42 AM
2-1 :)

Locker had a solid game which was not helped by a combination of Penalties, Kenny Britt and the Vampires.

We had far too many penalties in the game, an improvement is needed.

Britt was awful, he couldn't catch a cold. The amount of key passes that Britt dropped was unbelievable, If he had caught 1 or 2 of these, the situation wouldn't have been so dire.

And how bad were the Vampires. San Diego had two blatent PI on our receivers that were not called. If they were, it would have been a different game.

Still, a lot of positives, Locker looked consistant, Locker and CJ looked good on the ground and the defense was outstanding.

It was funny seeing Phillip Crying a River about the blatent Offensive PI and the touchdown chalked off.

Jets next week, if we can win that one, it sets us up nicely for the season.

THE_TITAN
23.09.2013, 02:41 PM
It's nice to see a more active Titans board this season. We seem to have gained a few more fans on the forums which is something I did not expect to see.

The Jets next week is a game that we should really win but it will be tougher than most expect. Rex Ryan always puts out a team with a strong defensive base and Geno Smith has flashed the ability to make a big play. Knowing Gregg Williams he will look to blitz the young QB early and put pressure on him to make mistakes.

Locker should be able to pick the holes in the Jets secondary, they have a very strong front 7 but outside that they are susceptible to down field passes. Maybe Justin Hunter can benefit two weeks in a row.

grahamsharkey
23.09.2013, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=THE_TITAN;1886381]It's nice to see a more active Titans board this season. We seem to have gained a few more fans on the forums which is something I did not expect to see.

I don't normally post in forums, especially "Titans" specific ones. I don't know about you guys, but I find most other titan fans so fickle. One moment their laughing and next whinning.

I was on Go Titans forum for the past few seasons - pretty good, but glad to find some UK counterparts! :)

Titan4Life
23.09.2013, 06:13 PM
Your predictions are correct so far... Hope it continues!! :D

(apart from loosing at Jacksonville - that would be embarrassing ;))

Here's hoping. 10-6 would be excellent.

Looking forward as ever to the next game and potentially going 3-1.
This is the first game this season so far that I feel confident at the outset, although as ever we will play it close.
It's going to be interesting to see what the penalties outcome will be come Sunday as this is 2 of the NFL's most penalised teams.
How impressed are you by Pollard?? It's like he's taken that poor group from last year by the scruff of the neck and made it his own, a real BIG influence.

Gaztee72
24.09.2013, 03:26 AM
Crikey an explosion of posts here! I'm very happy to see that I've been proven wrong so far :) Should definitely beat the jets this weekend. Should be nice to be at Wembley & not cringe every time the scores come up!
Definitely think the game against the chiefs will confirm how far we've come. I'm still not convinced the texans are all that good. Should be a good 3 way scrap for the division title.:D
GO TITANS to :p

Charlie32
24.09.2013, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=THE_TITAN;1886381]It's nice to see a more active Titans board this season. We seem to have gained a few more fans on the forums which is something I did not expect to see.

I don't normally post in forums, especially "Titans" specific ones. I don't know about you guys, but I find most other titan fans so fickle. One moment their laughing and next whinning.

I was on Go Titans forum for the past few seasons - pretty good, but glad to find some UK counterparts! :)

I'd been 'lurking' on Go Titans, but after following the game threads this year and seeing how laughably fickle they all are I've decided to give that a rest! So thought I'd share my thoughts with some fellow UK fans instead :)

Whitey1990
24.09.2013, 08:19 AM
@ Pittsburgh - WIN
@ Houston - Loss
San Diego - WIN
NY Jets
Kansas City
@ Seattle
San Fran
@ St Louis
Jacksonville
Indianapolis
@ Oakland
@ Indianapolis
@ Denver
Arizona
@ Jacksonville
Houston

The games i am concerned about are the Chiefs, Seahawks, Colts (Away), Broncos and Texans @ home.

If we continue our form - I can see a really good Season ahead with at least 9 or 10 Wins. Which should give us a really good chance of playoffs. Which team is going to win the division though... its way too early/hard to tell. I can really see our division taking both Wild Card spots.

We have a really good chance this year and i hope we take full advantage of it

Go Titans!!

grahamsharkey
24.09.2013, 09:58 AM
Anyone at the London games this weekend? Hoping I'm not the only Titan-jersey there. I was the last two years... Well, from what I could see, obviously that's not the case.

I've never actually met another UK-based Titan fan, which is to say I've never had an actual proper football conversation, Lol.

Whitey1990
24.09.2013, 10:08 AM
Anyone at the London games this weekend? Hoping I'm not the only Titan-jersey there. I was the last two years... Well, from what I could see, obviously that's not the case.

I've never actually met another UK-based Titan fan, which is to say I've never had an actual proper football conversation, Lol.

I have been there the last couple of years wearing my Titans Jersey with pride but unfortunately cant make it this year.

I've used all my holidays up and i cant get any time of work :( (I've just spent a month traveling the Southern States and i will also be heading back over during Christmas and New Year)

I managed to find 5 Tennessee Fans last year though! i was so happy as the previous year i couldn't find any haha we must have a growing fan support;)

KENDALL3T
24.09.2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah people normally have a good story as to why they follow TENN.

The first Madden that I bought had Eddie George on the cover, the first SuperBowl I watched was the defeat to the Rams. I loved Kearse, Wycheck, Rolle & Pickens. I think the team colours had something to do with it also.

I wonder what reason some of the newer fans have chosen as why to follow Tennessee.

Whitey1990
24.09.2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah people normally have a good story as to why they follow TENN.

The first Madden that I bought had Eddie George on the cover, the first SuperBowl I watched was the defeat to the Rams. I loved Kearse, Wycheck, Rolle & Pickens. I think the team colours had something to do with it also.

I wonder what reason some of the newer fans have chosen as why to follow Tennessee.

Even though my brother and my dad are crazy Packers Fans i decided to Join the Oliers/Titans Fanbase as it was the first game of Football i ever watched. The combination of Steve Mcnair, Eddie George, Derek Mason, Frank Wycheck, Kearse ect... were awesome! We were really the only team that had a reasonably fast QB and played a different style of football which i loved.

Titan4Life
24.09.2013, 01:11 PM
Seems like a lot of us where drawn to that great team with the like of McNair, George and Mason. Good times.
I remember catching the Titans in 99 a 'rare' game on sky against Jacksonville, instantly drawn Into those players and the style of football, researched up on them and the more I saw the more I liked, the rest is history.
Tbh it hasn't been that great since those pieces went elsewhere, we got close when Collins had that great year but then Flacco had other ideas.
Onwards and upwards and here's to hoping this year will be up there with some of the best football Tennessee has played.

grahamsharkey
24.09.2013, 04:53 PM
Unlike all of you, I didn't get into it for football reasons as I'd never seen a football game before, but when my uncles family moved to Charlotte, NC in 01' and my cousins went to school at the UoT - they introduced me into the beautiful game, and that's pretty much how I got into it! Not as interesting.

Never looked back. :)

MattyTM
24.09.2013, 08:16 PM
Ive got quite a soft spot for the Titans... Music City Miracle just like Miracle at the Meadowlands still gets my hair standing on end.

THE_TITAN
26.09.2013, 01:39 PM
Wow, news from the Chargers game. I just read an article where Moise Fokou claims that the personal foul penalty he earned was after the fact that Clary (#66 Chargers OG) attempted to break his arm.

Here's the article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/fokou-says-chargers-tried-to-break-his-arm/

This is CLEAR from this .gif. Clary should be fined heavily and suspended for several games for this IMO. I've never seen such a blatant MMA-style attack caught on camera in an NFL game before. Shamful.

http://i39.tinypic.com/9u21xe.jpg

KENDALL3T
26.09.2013, 02:14 PM
Small thing I know but can we change the thread title as the season has now started to season 2013 or something related.

Whitey1990
26.09.2013, 03:39 PM
Wow, news from the Chargers game. I just read an article where Moise Fokou claims that the personal foul penalty he earned was after the fact that Clary (#66 Chargers OG) attempted to break his arm.

Here's the article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/fokou-says-chargers-tried-to-break-his-arm/

This is CLEAR from this .gif. Clary should be fined heavily and suspended for several games for this IMO. I've never seen such a blatant MMA-style attack caught on camera in an NFL game before. Shamful.

http://i39.tinypic.com/9u21xe.jpg

Ouch! that looked a sore one! The NFL need to fine him... but our players need to do better and not react to these incidents and give away 15 yards

Whitey1990
26.09.2013, 03:40 PM
Small thing I know but can we change the thread title as the season has now started to season 2013 or something related.

We should probably move our discussions on to the main Tennessee Titans Thread

grahamsharkey
28.09.2013, 12:28 AM
Titans on the NFL network total access tonight. Should be good.

Gaztee72
09.12.2013, 02:24 AM
Interesting re-reading this thread now. I don't come on here as often as I should! I like the stories of how everyone got to be a Titans/Oilers fan. I started to folow the Oilers back in 84 coz they sucked & I like an underdog. Just happened to be a good time to start following them as they has a QB called Moon, who turned out to be something a little bit special. The McNair/George etc was a great era for the Franchise too, hopefully those days are not too far away again!