PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans to visit?

Caio
28.09.2013, 04:55 PM
Whats the place like and the surrounding area like to visit for a holiday? Many of you been there? Any photos?

martin3026
29.09.2013, 02:11 AM
Book a trip with sports travel tours (the saints uk Facebook group have organised to travel to the 49ers and Cowboys games).

You won't regret it

DarrenSQh
30.09.2013, 04:24 PM
I'm in New Orleans just now. It's amazing.

Caio
02.10.2013, 06:21 PM
how was the trip? photos?

WhoDatMonkey87
02.10.2013, 08:04 PM
Book a trip with sports travel tours (the saints uk Facebook group have organised to travel to the 49ers and Cowboys games).

You won't regret it

I second this! We booked with them to see an LSU game and a Saints game. Awesome seats for both!

marcseven
03.10.2013, 06:59 PM
Whats the place like and the surrounding area like to visit for a holiday? Many of you been there? Any photos?

Been trying to ignore this question, because it really doesn't take much for me to go on and on about NOLA. It is a city ideal for tourism for so many reasons, the most obvious is that it is that it is a huge tourist and conference destination so is set up to receive visitors (though many who knew the airport before the recent effort would disagree). It is the second most popular place for Americans to elope to after vegas.

It boasts some of the best music, drinking and food venues anywhere in the world and also some of the most tacky. Away from the conference drag there are sites of real historical interest including amazing houses and a couple of great museums, almost opposing subject matters both the WW2 museum and the Museum of southern art are fantastic. Outside the city you have the magnificent Bayou, plantation houses and even more great local places to eat. Hire a car and you can drive to Florida or Texas in less than a day and be back to catch a late set on Frenchman St. (there is a great outlet mall in near Biloxi Miss. where I buy most of my clothes for the year)

Unlike so many places that rely on the tourist dollar the locals are generally friendly to visitors especially if you show a little interest, and because so many people pass through if you go back to a place more than once they tend to remember and get even better treatment.

One of the great things about Louisiana is it's festivals, sure Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest, but the countless little ones like the tomato festival, sea food festival, the bayou boogaloo, Satchimo Fest, any weekend there is something going on.

My only word of caution is from the UK it is not really a weekend destination, in-direct flights means you want to be there more than a couple of days.