NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Miami Dolphins (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   PHINS FANS OPINIONS! (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=146)

Lordy 08.01.2004 12:31 PM

PHINS FANS OPINIONS!

Should the phins have kept Wannstedt or let him go?
Is Fiedler the right guy?

Duper85 08.01.2004 01:01 PM

Re:PHINS FANS OPINIONS!

1. Should the phins have kept Wannstedt or let him go?

Tricky, I think what has happened is probably a pretty good move. By all account Wanny is not thought of as a good personnel manager, and taking this responsibilty away from him and getting someone with more expertise sounds a good move.

Personally I'm not sure if he's aggressive enough to win championships, but 4 winning seasons of 11-5, 11-5 9-7 and 10-6 on the face of it isn't too bad. There are some who argue that we've regressed under him - in that in the 4 seasons we've gone from losing the divisional game, to losing the wild card game, to being eliminated from a playoff place in week 17, to being eliminated from a playoff place in week 16 (which is exactly 1 backward step per year). But perhaps with better personnel management, this slide can be stopped.

2. Is Fiedler the right guy

Nope, we won't win anything with him. However I can see him starting next season. If we draft a QB it's doubtful we'd get one of the top ones in the draft (Eli Manning or Roethlisberger) so it's unlikely we'd have a rookie to put straight in the team. But if we get a good prospect (eg Rivers), then there's the potential for next year under Fiedler whilst the new bloke learns the system to be the starter in 2005.

Flipper #83 08.01.2004 01:13 PM

Nice to see failure (only the 3rd time in team history that we have missed playoffs 2 years running and the first time since 88&89) rewarded with a further 2 years contract. He should be fired. We have not had a good draft is JJ left.
If my boss had failed like DW has, then he would have loss his job ages ago. He has a good defence, a decent running game and somehow still can't make the playoffs.

Week 1 was where we lost it this year. He should have gone soon after that.

Finally Fiedler is not the man but neither is anyone else we has got. So do we draft a QB? No. We must get a least a couple more WR's to help out Chris Chambers. Also we must get a decent O-Line for both Running and some Passing as this line is USELESS. QB should not be drafted for the next couple of years.

The defence is getting old and soon (2/3 Years time and I hate this part) I think we shall be in the running for Number 1 draft pick.

PaddyRamsey 08.01.2004 01:25 PM

Fiedler has a pretty good record with the Doll-phins though doesn't he? All those winning seasons don't mean nothing. Would replacing him mean you would take a step further?

08.01.2004 01:49 PM

Fiedler is always the scapegoat for other players' failures in Miami. I'm sick of reading about it really. He is an average QB, which good enough. The problems lie with the offensive line and his receiving corps. If he had more than a couple of seconds to throw he would be productive. The 'Fins need a left tackle as well as at least one guard. That would not only help Jay, but it would also take the pressure from him with improvement in the running game. Chambers has been his only reliable target with Randy McMichael on a down year and no number two guy. If they can draft a good possesion receiver such as Michael Jenkins or pick one up in free agency and also improve the o-line I think Fielder will do well. He will never be a Pro Bowler, but he can get the job done. Miami is a running team and doesn't need to spend big $$$ on a QB. I see them drafting Andrew Walter who they are really high on and starting Fielder.

Wanny sucked with the Bears and he isn't much better with the 'Fins. All I will say is that at least his players didn't quit on him this year like they have in the past.

PaddyRamsey 08.01.2004 01:52 PM

Defence Fiedler deserves in my opinion.

Duper85 08.01.2004 03:03 PM

I can understand Fins fans like Flipper who want DW out for the very same reasons as what people say about Fiedler. He's a coach who has a winning record but are we going to win a championship with him? Probably not because we fail every time we play a crunch game. Dolphins haven't had a losing season for 15 years, but haven't looked like winning the Superbowl either, we need a more ruthless mentality which I don't think Wannstedt or Fiedler provide. Actually in deference to PackerBacker's point about Fiedler being the scapegoat - the same accusation can be levelled at our supposed top defence which is stuffed with Pro-Bowlers. I'd love to know what happened to them in our real crunch game against the Eagles when the O played quite well.

The O-line is a serious problem, and a reason why Ricky Williams didn't have a particularly good year. We knew this last post season, but did nothing about it. It's this sort of reason Miami have taken away the personnel responsibilities from Wannstedt. I hope that this is where the problem lies and that supported by a GM DW will improve next year and that's why I think he deserves a chance. I have my doubts though.

Disagree that McMichael had a down year, by the way. The problem was that him and Chambers were the sum of our arial threats and there was no-one else who did anything.

Lordy 08.01.2004 04:33 PM

The defence is getting old and soon (2/3 Years time and I hate this part) I think we shall be in the running for Number 1 draft pick.
i hate to admit it but i agree, i mean sam madison and thomas are now 30, brock marion is 30+ i think the phins have missed the boat really with the pool of talent they have and i think they have a few more years left in them but the sale by date is approaching for these guys.

as for wannstedt, 5 winning seasons, you cant argue with his numbers i say keep him let him have another chance becasue he deserves one.

as for fiedler, yes he does grind out wins, but there is something about him that i dont like and he isnt geting any younger

PaddyRamsey 08.01.2004 08:56 PM

That's why I'm keeping a close eye on the Jags defence... all that youth and potentially huge talent.

ZachThomas#54 08.01.2004 10:58 PM

Dolphins should pick up Brunell or Warner in the offseason as they would bring an experienced quality QB. I dont think this year is the time to draft a QB unless your going to trade up and get Manning or Roethslimburg. Miami should probably pick best available player because they dont have a 2nd round pick. We really need an O-Tackle or a WR to take pressure off Chambers. If available I would really love to see Miami draft D.J Williams of Miami because lets face it, Thomas and Seau arent getting any younger!

PaddyRamsey 08.01.2004 11:13 PM

Brunell? You'd probably be better off with Fiedler. His record is great considering.

08.01.2004 11:33 PM

Brunell is IMO the best FA QB and is far better than Fiedler. He will be in great demand and I don't think getting him would be a good move for the Miami cap because he can demand a fairly large salary.

PaddyRamsey 08.01.2004 11:44 PM

Shame he was moved over for Leftwich really.

Kyriakin 08.01.2004 11:47 PM

How would Dolphins fans react if they actually had a 'bad season' (as supposed to a 'good season, where they fell just short')?

Moan, moan, moan... ::)

08.01.2004 11:49 PM

They made the right choice IMO. They knew they had no chance of a winning season so they put Leftwich in. Some QBs just aren't ready to play as rookies. Leftwich had the toughness and intelligence to do so. The guy I feel sorry for is Garrard. I really like him and would love to see him in Green Bay. He was the one who was screwed worse without even getting a fair chance.

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:00 AM

I loved watching Leftwich play in college in 2002, he can be spectacular.
Garrard is a good point too, he should definately have been given a fair chance.

Remember Ryan Leaf? Gotta feel sorry for him.

09.01.2004 12:01 AM

Leaf was a bust though while Garrard hasn't even been given a chance to start.

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:05 AM

That's what I mean... all that for a bust. (And I'm lambered with one of his jerseys I can't sell for love nor money).

I'll stick with the Garrard point though.

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:05 AM

(this post didn't mean to happen)

09.01.2004 12:09 AM

I kinda feel sorry for Leaf and all the other first round busts in terms of their hype and the pressure on their shoulders. I suppose with the cash he received from his rookie contract there is no reason to really feel sorry for him though.

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:12 AM

Heck no, I don't feel sorry for his financial position at the time (quite the opposite). Just his football career. Coming out that high in the draft with all the expectation.

But he's probably made the most of that contract cash now so I can stop feeling sorry for him.

Dave_R 09.01.2004 02:38 AM

[quote author=PaddyRamsey link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=15#msg17966 date=1073606407]
Remember Ryan Leaf? Gotta feel sorry for him.
[/quote]
No, feel sorry for the Chargers. Leaf was an arrogant little 'thief', stealing all that money, tsk tsk. :( ;)

leviramsey 09.01.2004 05:43 AM

From Pete Prisco's column on CBS Sportsline:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6990062

Mark Brunell (late of the Jaguars) may be heading down I-95 to Miami.

Quote:

With the Dolphins strongly considering hiring former Packers general manager Ron Wolf as a consultant, instead of hiring a general manager, it's another strong move that could lead to Brunell quarterbacking Miami next season. Brunell will become an unrestricted free agent when the Jaguars choose to not pay him a $2 million option bonus. It was Wolf who drafted Brunell in the fifth round in 1993, even though he had Brett Favre on the roster. Wolf has always been a big believer in Brunell, even though he traded him to Jacksonville in 1995, a move made because he realized Brunell would leave via free agency the next year. Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt likely has one year left to make a deep playoff run, so he needs Brunell. Dolphins offensive coordinator Norv Turner had a chat with Brunell on the field when the Dolphins played the Jaguars this season and indicated he would like to have him on the roster. Turner pushed for the Cowboys to draft Brunell in 1993 when he was the offensive coordinator, even though Troy Aikman was the starting quarterback. That's three strong reasons why Brunell might be the Miami quarterback next season. Here's another: Miami is where Brunell prefers to play. It's close to his new home in Jacksonville, which is where he will live even after he's done playing football. The Cowboys are also expected to make a play for Brunell. But reports that he bought land in Austin to build a house aren't true. That's investment property. Brunell's top priority is to play, and the team that offers that chance is where he'll wind up.

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 08:30 AM

Fits the bill.

09.01.2004 11:13 AM

[quote author=Kyriakin link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=0#msg17949 date=1073605677]
How would Dolphins fans react if they actually had a 'bad season' (as supposed to a 'good season, where they fell just short')?

Moan, moan, moan... ::)

[/quote]Hehehe! ;D

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 11:47 AM

I dread to think...

Lordy 09.01.2004 12:06 PM

i dont think their is a team with more expectations than the phins.

Bongo46 09.01.2004 12:07 PM

They need an O-line upgrade, and I dont think either Fiddler(as I like to call him) and Griese are the answer.

Flipper #83 09.01.2004 12:09 PM

Jamie

I hope hope the many Pats rookies from this year don't suffer from the sophomore season syndrome

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:11 PM

Dolphins always seem to expect success. Guess with the recent history and all...

SkinTastic 09.01.2004 12:26 PM

[quote author=Bongo46 link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=15#msg18178 date=1073650053]
They need an O-line upgrade, and I dont think either Fiddler(as I like to call him) and Griese are the answer.
[/quote]

With the rumour of Brunell at Miami next season (as leviramsey reported above), that could be half the problem solved. They need to do something to the O-Line to get Ricky back on track!

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:30 PM

Definately. I'm not his biggest fan but it was kind of strange to keep not seeing his name in the top 5 RBs and such. I hope they do manage to get him back on track.

Bongo46 09.01.2004 12:36 PM

Brunnel, Warner..........I suppose one will be a fin and maybe one acowboy?

Flipper #83 09.01.2004 12:42 PM

That's all we need

Another injury prone QB.

Fiedler, Griese, and Whoever we get out of those 2.

PaddyRamsey 09.01.2004 12:46 PM

At least this ones a pretty good injury prone QB.

Lordy 09.01.2004 01:19 PM

the phins will need about six QBs on the depth chart with the injury prone QBs we have lol

Bongo46 09.01.2004 01:53 PM

Maybe they'll draft a qb, i think the qb talent is deep this year!

Duper85 09.01.2004 02:07 PM

[quote author=Flipper #83 link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=30#msg18235 date=1073652132]
That's all we need

Another injury prone QB.

Fiedler, Griese, and Whoever we get out of those 2.
[/quote]

Griese won't be at Miami next year.

Brunell would be an improvement on Fielder, but I doubt we'll get him. I think Fiedler will be the starter next year, with Rosenfels and a rookie.

ZachThomas#54 09.01.2004 02:53 PM

I think Brunell will be a Dolphin next year because it will be the best available job open to him next season. He is a Florida resident and I think he will want to stay in Florida. Dolphins will also draft a QB possibly in the 3rd round (someone like Matt Schaub) and draft a top WR in the first round. O-Line will probably be sorted out via free agency.

09.01.2004 03:17 PM

[quote author=ZachThomas#54 link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=30#msg18302 date=1073659990]
I think Brunell will be a Dolphin next year because it will be the best available job open to him next season. He is a Florida resident and I think he will want to stay in Florida. Dolphins will also draft a QB possibly in the 3rd round (someone like Matt Schaub) and draft a top WR in the first round. O-Line will probably be sorted out via free agency.
[/quote]

There are far better jobs than Miami out there. He is from San Diego so could possibly go down there. Also Dallas is a far better situation than Miami because they actually have a decent receiving corps and their fans aren't so unrealistic.