NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Lions (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Lions Fan Club (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=53118)

WillyTrencher 28.10.2009 11:13 AM

Lions Fan Club

As I mentioned on another thread I'm happy to set this up and administer it (until there are thousands of us obviously :)) so that we can get it up and running.

My thoughts are that in the early stages it should represent no more than a focal point as we have much of what it could provide available to us here on the NFLUK Lions dedicated forums. However a Fan Club does give us the chance to increase our sense of belonging and may well help us in terms of recognition with the Lions even if at this stage they don't seem interested in us :(

The good thing about setting this up ourselves is that it can be and hopefully will become whatever we want it to be so feel free to make suggestions in this thread.

The idea I have at present is that it should be free to join, that we should have a membership card & number, maybe a monthly newsletter, a get together at least once a year, a player of the year vote and maybe an annual organised trip to Ford Field :)

The only other idea I had was that the name for the Fan Club be: "Born Free" - The Unofficial UK & Ireland Fan Club of the Detroit Lions

So far WharfedaleTiger, Lions4777, Deanali & IrishLion09 have indicated they would be interested which makes 5 (including me :o). Is it ok if I say that when that number gets to 10 we get things set up?

Please feel free to discuss and air any views/ideas.

IrishLion09 28.10.2009 02:04 PM

I Really Like the Name,10 is ok with my humble self so I await the feed back and look forward to many more Lions fan coming onboard.:)

WharfedaleTiger 28.10.2009 04:57 PM

I like the idea of it and the name, one suggestion would be a website (just to act as a focal point, but of Lions news on it and what we're doing with it) but other than that it seems like a good idea...

Lions4777 28.10.2009 05:58 PM

All sounds good to me, be good to try and get some links to fans in Detroit through a group so that anyone making the trip can over there can have contacts. I'm not sure I'd be able to do annual trips, only got the go ahead this year sio I'd shut up about wanting to go!

Deanali 28.10.2009 06:03 PM

All sounds good to me! As Mills Lane said "Lets get it on!"

Kim Mitten 29.10.2009 09:44 PM

I'd be really interested to join a Lions fan club, be good to meet other Lions fans, maybe at a venue showing NFL games one Sunday.

lionsfan123 30.10.2009 11:10 PM

I love this idea and would love to help and to be involved.

WillyTrencher 23.11.2009 06:43 PM

We've won our second game :D so what better time to give this thread a bump ;)

If my calculations are correct I need 3 more to get this up and running :)

ToxicLion 26.11.2009 02:28 PM

i'd join, be good to contact the Lions themselves aswell never know what you might get

and as previously mentioned a site which can be updated by all of us is always a bonus

WharfedaleTiger 28.11.2009 06:25 PM

Thought I'd give this another bump... how many more do we need? Could we set up a webby/mailing list?

lufccc 28.11.2009 08:01 PM

I'm well up for the idea of a UK fan club. I have searched high and wide for a UK fan club of the Detroit Lions since the beginning of the season when I started to get into the sport. With being 0-16 last year, I though 'why not support the lions, the only way is up' Let me know how to join.

WillyTrencher 30.11.2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1029873)
Thought I'd give this another bump... how many more do we need? Could we set up a webby/mailing list?

Just one more needed :eek: (ToxicLion & lufccc bring us up to 9)

I've got membership cards ready in anticipation :o

WharfedaleTiger 30.11.2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyTrencher (Post 1031657)
Just one more needed :eek: (ToxicLion & lufccc bring us up to 9)

I've got membership cards ready in anticipation :o

Really! I'm getting goose pimples at the thought of my Lions membership card. Is their any way we can make a membership drive?

WillyTrencher 01.12.2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1031919)
Really! I'm getting goose pimples at the thought of my Lions membership card. Is their any way we can make a membership drive?

If we keep this thread near the top I'm sure we'll get the one we need soon :)

Another win might help too :D

jack1 01.12.2009 10:19 PM

Count me in for this, sounds like a great idea.

If anyone needs any help with this idea I would be more than happy to oblidge.

WillyTrencher 01.12.2009 10:57 PM

With Jack1's post we've hit the magic 10 so we're up and running :)

I'll try and get a pm to everyone with the basic framework for the fan club over the weekend but in the meantime keep posting ideas about what's wanted.

I was thinking that it'd be nice to vote for our Lion of the year (don't think it should be exclusive to players) at the end of the season as a way of both establishing a link to the team and a way of bringing the personalities closer to us.

IrishLion09 02.12.2009 01:03 PM

:):):)

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa

jack1 02.12.2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyTrencher (Post 1032975)
With Jack1's post we've hit the magic 10 so we're up and running :)

I'll try and get a pm to everyone with the basic framework for the fan club over the weekend but in the meantime keep posting ideas about what's wanted.

I was thinking that it'd be nice to vote for our Lion of the year (don't think it should be exclusive to players) at the end of the season as a way of both establishing a link to the team and a way of bringing the personalities closer to us.

Good work, this could be great

WharfedaleTiger 03.12.2009 04:03 PM

*dances* w00p

A few suggestions;

a) facebook group
b) Webpage (possibly facebook group at first but then expand once we have enough members etc. to afford the fees.)
c) Try to get the offical lions Supporters Club and US based Lions fans/forums involved to support us
d) Player, Lions fan of the year etc. nominations.
e) meet ups? membership cards. If the Lions are on telly at some point (thanksgiving?) then perhaps a meet up for that?

Anyone else?

Lions4777 04.12.2009 09:48 PM

So many Lions fans, who'd of thought!

jack1 05.12.2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1033904)
*dances* w00p

A few suggestions;

a) facebook group
b) Webpage (possibly facebook group at first but then expand once we have enough members etc. to afford the fees.)
c) Try to get the offical lions Supporters Club and US based Lions fans/forums involved to support us
d) Player, Lions fan of the year etc. nominations.
e) meet ups? membership cards. If the Lions are on telly at some point (thanksgiving?) then perhaps a meet up for that?

Anyone else?

Great ideas, just say the word and I'll happily do (A), unless someone else is going to do it.

WharfedaleTiger 06.12.2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1 (Post 1035198)
Great ideas, just say the word and I'll happily do (A), unless someone else is going to do it.

I'm fine to do it, lets just wait and see what one or two others say...

WillyTrencher 07.12.2009 12:43 PM

Check your inbox for fan club related PM

bluelionman 08.12.2009 04:47 AM

Lions Fan Club

It seems like a lot of work and problems watching a game as only one Lions guaranted on TV over 'ere is Thanks Giving but good thing is it makes it a do-able game meet wise as it will always be first one on that day - so 5:30pm Kick Off UK time that day. Yep I guess could make that the annual meet day each year - even better if (I cant cook save my bacon) but say make it a meal day to - actually have a Thanks Giving turkey or at least loads of breast and legs etc. in some venue with da game on. :cool:

In theory I am cool to join but was thinking about waiting as I'd like membership number 20 and you was only at about 10 by my count...

Now I actually have been to Detroit many times and seen about 10 games I'd say now at Ford Field. Keeping contacts is so hard and not everyone gets on - I have been on the fringes when it comes to tail gating - would love to have a regular group we could hook up with in Down Town when any offical unoffical ;-) UKDL fans go over, but folks I TG'd with well personalities differ a lot and not all of us would necessarily get on. I guess I am still looking for this myself.

Oh I am notoriously a bad manager of time and disorganised with stuff so alas don't feel able to commit to taking anything on admin wise as yet as I don't wanna let anyone down... but am happy to impart any knowledge I have gained from my trips over - I am a back packer and always do traveling on the budget trail... so can really help those that wanna rough it and do it on the cheap.

I have also had a dream of dressing up and really getting noticed but never found the stuff and my attempts have been a bit lame... any of you seen those crazy Raider fans and at other road games I seen some cool peeps - that even have a fan section in the H.O.F I do belive now... but I am not practical (as in much good doing DIY and creative stuff with my hands) but perhaps we can exchange ideas and help each other realizse there ideas as next year when I go I'd like to really get blinged up like you see those crazy Raiders guys with camo painted faces and oversized sholder pads etc.

Any ways let me know the Facebook group and how this is progressing... Guess it's nice to belong - interested to hear some of your stories (and ages) and why the Lions?

WillyTrencher 08.12.2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluelionman (Post 1037990)
It seems like a lot of work and problems watching a game as only one Lions guaranted on TV over 'ere is Thanks Giving but good thing is it makes it a do-able game meet wise as it will always be first one on that day - so 5:30pm Kick Off UK time that day. Yep I guess could make that the annual meet day each year - even better if (I cant cook save my bacon) but say make it a meal day to - actually have a Thanks Giving turkey or at least loads of breast and legs etc. in some venue with da game on. :cool:

In theory I am cool to join but was thinking about waiting as I'd like membership number 20 and you was only at about 10 by my count...

Now I actually have been to Detroit many times and seen about 10 games I'd say now at Ford Field. Keeping contacts is so hard and not everyone gets on - I have been on the fringes when it comes to tail gating - would love to have a regular group we could hook up with in Down Town when any offical unoffical ;-) UKDL fans go over, but folks I TG'd with well personalities differ a lot and not all of us would necessarily get on. I guess I am still looking for this myself.

Oh I am notoriously a bad manager of time and disorganised with stuff so alas don't feel able to commit to taking anything on admin wise as yet as I don't wanna let anyone down... but am happy to impart any knowledge I have gained from my trips over - I am a back packer and always do traveling on the budget trail... so can really help those that wanna rough it and do it on the cheap.

I have also had a dream of dressing up and really getting noticed but never found the stuff and my attempts have been a bit lame... any of you seen those crazy Raider fans and at other road games I seen some cool peeps - that even have a fan section in the H.O.F I do belive now... but I am not practical (as in much good doing DIY and creative stuff with my hands) but perhaps we can exchange ideas and help each other realizse there ideas as next year when I go I'd like to really get blinged up like you see those crazy Raiders guys with camo painted faces and oversized sholder pads etc.

Any ways let me know the Facebook group and how this is progressing... Guess it's nice to belong - interested to hear some of your stories (and ages) and why the Lions?

Have tried to PM you with details for Fan Club but your inbox is full. Will happily PM you with details once you let me know you can accept message.

WharfedaleTiger 08.12.2009 02:46 PM

Right, should I create a facebook group?

WillyTrencher 08.12.2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1038295)
Right, should I create a facebook group?

Given our numbers I think we should stick to these pages for now rather than disperse ourselves across different cyber media. I've not looked into the social group function on this site has anyone else? That said if everybody thinks facebook offers a better option for us to keep in touch etc and gives us a wider reach for potentially more members then I'm all for it :)

Hope to have a fan club announcement on another matter tomorrow ;)

WharfedaleTiger 08.12.2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyTrencher (Post 1038343)
Given our numbers I think we should stick to these pages for now rather than disperse ourselves across different cyber media. I've not looked into the social group function on this site has anyone else? That said if everybody thinks facebook offers a better option for us to keep in touch etc and gives us a wider reach for potentially more members then I'm all for it :)

Hope to have a fan club announcement on another matter tomorrow ;)

Awsome mate, good job.

I've not looked at it but will do now. I'm just thinking that facebook might open us up to more members... but then again it does compromise anolymity (Sorry for dreadful spelling!)

WharfedaleTiger 08.12.2009 05:07 PM

Right, it appears that the social networking is limited to 'social groups' into which we can put pictures and use as a bit of a chatroom. I've created a Lions Fan Club one at; https://forum.nfluk.com/group.php?groupid=51 but I'm not sure how useful that is going to be except to use as a bit of a 'pub' style thing.

Kim Mitten 08.12.2009 07:24 PM

as a person not on facebook and not going to be on facebook for me the FB thing is kinda out, but if the majority are on it then when there are a few more members it would probably be a good idea.
Like bluelionman i am pretty unorganised and have a couple of commitments with English football so would prefer to leave the admin etc to others, but I'm looking forward to the fan club and things that will go along with it.

jack1 08.12.2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1038427)
Right, it appears that the social networking is limited to 'social groups' into which we can put pictures and use as a bit of a chatroom. I've created a Lions Fan Club one at; https://forum.nfluk.com/group.php?groupid=51 but I'm not sure how useful that is going to be except to use as a bit of a 'pub' style thing.

Good work so far, now just the Facebook group to go, who is doing that?If no one is I'll happily do it.

sibutchers 08.12.2009 11:52 PM

Lions!

Hey I'm a Lions fan and my friend Bluelionman sent me to this page to reg my interest in an annual lions meet. that sounds AWESOME!!!!!!

bluelionman 09.12.2009 12:30 AM

Lions Fan Club

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1038427)

Right WharfedaleTiger I have joined that group and deleted a few PM's - so now you can get one off to me. TBH I hate the small allowance of PM's here as the 50 is a total sum of all PM's - both sent and recieved! :-(

WharfedaleTiger 09.12.2009 11:14 AM

The numbers keep going up! Do you want to do that Jack? Mainly because my hangover will not allow me to do anything coherent....

jack1 09.12.2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1038897)
The numbers keep going up! Do you want to do that Jack? Mainly because my hangover will not allow me to do anything coherent....

Ye Ye I'll get on to it now

WharfedaleTiger 09.12.2009 08:18 PM

Right mate, I think I I've found it, this one https://www.facebook.com/search/?q=De...7131302&ref=ts ?

jack1 09.12.2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfedaleTiger (Post 1039270)
Right mate, I think I I've found it, this one https://www.facebook.com/search/?q=De...7131302&ref=ts ?

Yeah thats it

WillyTrencher 14.12.2009 08:47 PM

Application forms have been sent out to all those that requested one

WharfedaleTiger 15.12.2009 11:20 AM

Thanks Willy, I'll try and send it off as soon as possible...

Nice photo BTW...

IrishLion09 15.12.2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyTrencher (Post 1043284)
Application forms have been sent out to all those that requested one

I'll have it in the post tonight.Many thanks for the effort and lets hope it's the start of something big!