NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Cowboys (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Do We Write Ourselves off already?? (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=72997)

cowboyswill 18.10.2010 02:13 PM

Do We Write Ourselves off already??

Just a quick question. Do you think we can still make the play offs?? :D

Aikman_8 18.10.2010 02:44 PM

I think to have any sort of chance we need to sweep the division and even then we may still come up short.

I'm resigned to 6 or 7 wins and a nice draft pick. :mad:

hopeneeded 18.10.2010 02:50 PM

lol... playoffs!! i think an 8-8 season now would be ambitious. Did anyone else get frustrated with the Cowboys mistakes last night at the fact that Wade Phillips did not get annoyed/angry/upset/put out by the errors? i dont expect him to chew players out for their errors but he doesnt seem to be the type of person who can reign in the stupidity of his players. 5 games we could have won, the Boys have the ability but not the brains.

I dont want Phillips sacked and how would replace him if he was? Garrett's stock has certainly lowered this season. I think Phillips is a gifted coach and we have a great record with him. BUT he aint going to last the season IMHO if the cowboys dont get PROFESSIONAL. Penalties are killing us, and they are getting lamer.... Miles Austin vaulting Williams... so so dumb!

cowboyswill 18.10.2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeneeded (Post 1217923)
lol... playoffs!!

I dont want Phillips sacked and how would replace him if he was?

lol... who!! :cool:

jon14 18.10.2010 04:26 PM

I still think there is a chance of making the playoffs, we need to stay in touch with the leader in the NFC East because if we go 4-5 games behind the leader I don't think we will stand a chance of catching them. We need to find a way to stop the silly penalty's in games though, I truly believe that we could have been a 5-0 / 4-1 team were it not for stupid mistakes at crucial times. Next week will be the biggest game of the season so far for the Cowboys, if we can find a way to beat the Giants then the NFC East will be wide open again.

Mattlee123 18.10.2010 05:21 PM

The way I see things now is that it really is touch and go as to whether we can still make the playoffs. It is possible. I mean Nick Halling was saying it all last night - Its a real tough division, if you consider that fact we still have to play the Eagles and Giants both home and away, and the Redskins at our place - Thats 5 games against division opponents, and albeit its highly unlikely, but in theory and on paper we should be winning every single one of them.

What concerns me most however is the offensive play calling and I would be interested to hear your guys views on it.

As far as I am concerned Garrett got our game-plan so wrong last night we might as well have conceded defeat last Monday when preparation began - Our defence kept that game close.

Why play the swing pass and let what is in my opinion one of the elite QB's (Top 5) in the NFL throw the dunk and dip passes all night I have no idea. Against Minnesota, against what clearly was a poor secondary we had our QB finding Felix on the swing or on the screen - It simply made no sense - We all saw Austin score the TD that wasn't - Well maybe everyone but Garrett(!) but my point is Austin had no need to push off, it would have gone for a TD anyway, he beat his man, and once again, surely we all saw Dez beat Sheppard for the TD?! I mean the two times we threw the ball downfield we scored Touchdowns (Essentially!). I really didn't understand his mentality in sticking with a running game which clearly wasn't working and a passing game which was making fewer yards than I move in a days work. Thats my thoughts on it, and as far as I am concerned this entire season of poor performances has been down to penalties and Garrett's poor play calling...

If anyone is to be fired its not to be Wade, its to be Garrett.

cowboyswill 18.10.2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattlee123 (Post 1218007)
The way I see things now is that it really is touch and go as to whether we can still make the playoffs. It is possible. I mean Nick Halling was saying it all last night - Its a real tough division, if you consider that fact we still have to play the Eagles and Giants both home and away, and the Redskins at our place - Thats 5 games against division opponents, and albeit its highly unlikely, but in theory and on paper we should be winning every single one of them.

What concerns me most however is the offensive play calling and I would be interested to hear your guys views on it.

As far as I am concerned Garrett got our game-plan so wrong last night we might as well have conceded defeat last Monday when preparation began - Our defence kept that game close.

Why play the swing pass and let what is in my opinion one of the elite QB's (Top 5) in the NFL throw the dunk and dip passes all night I have no idea. Against Minnesota, against what clearly was a poor secondary we had our QB finding Felix on the swing or on the screen - It simply made no sense - We all saw Austin score the TD that wasn't - Well maybe everyone but Garrett(!) but my point is Austin had no need to push off, it would have gone for a TD anyway, he beat his man, and once again, surely we all saw Dez beat Sheppard for the TD?! I mean the two times we threw the ball downfield we scored Touchdowns (Essentially!). I really didn't understand his mentality in sticking with a running game which clearly wasn't working and a passing game which was making fewer yards than I move in a days work. Thats my thoughts on it, and as far as I am concerned this entire season of poor performances has been down to penalties and Garrett's poor play calling...

If anyone is to be fired its not to be Wade, its to be Garrett.

totally agree with everything you say. Why not throw it deep when we have one of the top 5 recievers in the league (Austin) and a reciever that seems to be pulling his socks up (Williams) and one of the best rookie recievers. Most defences will double team Austin leaving room for manouverbility with Williams and Dez.
Sacking Wade will solve no problems as no body would want to take over as manager on a 1-4 team. He needs to stick it through to the end of the season.
As for the penalties, the team needs a disiplinarian to take charge and explain the rules properly to all the Boys so they understand what they can and cannot do.

hopeneeded 18.10.2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyswill (Post 1218029)
totally agree with everything you say. Why not throw it deep when we have one of the top 5 recievers in the league (Austin) and a reciever that seems to be pulling his socks up (Williams) and one of the best rookie recievers. Most defences will double team Austin leaving room for manouverbility with Williams and Dez.
Sacking Wade will solve no problems as no body would want to take over as manager on a 1-4 team. He needs to stick it through to the end of the season.
As for the penalties, the team needs a disiplinarian to take charge and explain the rules properly to all the Boys so they understand what they can and cannot do.

The irony is we got rid of Flozell to cut down on errors and we're even worse without him lol

NeathBlue 18.10.2010 08:28 PM

Well we can still finish 12-4, so yeah we can make the playoffs... We can probaby afford 2 more losses this season as long as they are not against divisional rivals.

If we can't stop the penalties then we will have no chance... It was actually getting funny last night as it was so bad... If you are going to draw a flag at least do it either in saving a certain TD, or do it by giving an opposition player a good twatting! :mad:

We can only get better as i really think last night was as bad as it gets...FFS the Vikings were as poor as an opposition you could wish to play and we bent over backwards in giving them the game.

Mattlee123 18.10.2010 08:37 PM

I know last night was poor and so have the past few weeks but I really feel something needs to be said about Roy Williams. What a change, he looks absolutely fantastic, a real threat to teams which will only surely open up more gaps for the likes of Austin, Bryant and Witten. To few good things have been said about Roy since the beginning of this season and since he has essentially turned his career in Dallas around and I felt it necessary to give him my praise and support, lets hope he keeps this up and will have a highly successful year.