NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Cincinnati Bengals (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   the BENGALS thread (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=12104)

jolts 01.02.2006 10:10 AM

the BENGALS thread

well i never found one so thought i would start one up for them. :D

well what do you think of palmers new contract?

when do you think the team the bengals are building will become contenders for the superbowl?

what are your thoughts on palmers injury?

BengalBoy 01.02.2006 11:36 AM

Re:the BENGALS thread

Palmers Injury made me feel sick for days. But after a few weeks of therapy im okay, Im sure he will come through in time for the start of next season ( or i hope ) i imagine Kitna is gonna get snapped up by another team and by the sounds of things we are looking to bring in Matt Schaub as our backup or potential starter of Palmer isn't ready.

As Far as Palmers Contract, I think its great, we have paid most of the money in the 1st few years of his contract ( as we have the spare cap at the momment ) and if he recovers from his injury im sure he will be a great QB for years to come.

As for the Team in general. Almost all our starters / stars are all signed up for years to come, so touch wood we are looking set to make some Superbowl runs in the following years. We just need a few upgrades on Defence, Saftey / Dline and we should be okay.

thats my 2cents worth for now 8)

jolts 01.02.2006 11:41 AM

my general thoughts are that the bengals team is more than going to be a threat for the superbowl in the not to distant future, and that their first big move forward was when they made a deal to extend palmers contract and look like they mean business.

Dorkie 01.02.2006 12:20 PM

[quote author=jolts link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=0#msg420604 date=1138794063]
my general thoughts are that the bengals team is more than going to be a threat for the superbowl in the not to distant future, and that their first big move forward was when they made a deal to extend palmers contract and look like they mean business.
[/quote]

I agree. Their offence is as good as any in the league, if they can address their defence, especially stopping the run, via the draft and fa they will be hard to beat. It's great to see them finally turning it around, there my 2nd team mainly as i used to take pity on them from when i started watching football in the C4 Blitz days.

01.02.2006 12:24 PM

What do you need from the draft then geezers? I took a DT for you in my mock ut someone didn't like the pick, I considered TE and Safety but none seemed worth the pick.

Dorkie 01.02.2006 12:33 PM

[quote author=LeedsJay link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=0#msg420666 date=1138796647]
What do you need from the draft then geezers? I took a DT for you in my mock ut someone didn't like the pick, I considered TE and Safety but none seemed worth the pick.
[/quote]

I'd say a DT too. Gabe Watson seems to be popular choice, although i don't really know much about him to be honest.

01.02.2006 12:52 PM

[quote author=Dawkie link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=0#msg420688 date=1138797239]
[quote author=LeedsJay link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=0#msg420666 date=1138796647]
[/quote]I took Brodrick Bunkley, it seemed logical to me

I'd say a DT too. Gabe Watson seems to be popular choice, although i don't really know much about him to be honest.
[/quote]

BengalBoy 01.02.2006 03:17 PM

Gabe Watson is the guy i would like, Im fed up of us being linked with sub 300lbs DT's. We have been there and done that, And its fair to say it has not worked. We need a Monster NT who can free up other guys on the line.

jolts 01.02.2006 10:42 PM

any bengals fans out there

Bongo46 02.02.2006 08:49 AM

Are the Bungs too good for the AFC North thread now? ;)

Dragonic 02.02.2006 11:57 AM

Finally a Bengals thread

Anywyas dont know if youve seen this yet but the schedule for next season is out, no times and dates yet but the opponents are listed.

http://www.bengals.com/team/06schedule_preview.asp

Sorry if its old news but i hadnt seen it anywhere

Tough Schedule i feel for next year

ravin raven 03.02.2006 07:22 PM

all of the afc north teams join together to make the AFC NORTH thread, no need for individual threads but having said that, it seems to be over run by smug steelers fans (if they win the SB...... :'() so individual threads is good until they get beaten

Michael Burton 03.02.2006 08:58 PM

[quote author=ravin raven (panthers let me down....seahawks all the way!!) link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=0#msg423058 date=1138994551]
all of the afc north teams join together to make the AFC NORTH thread, no need for individual threads but having said that, it seems to be over run by smug steelers fans (if they win the SB...... :'() so individual threads is good until they get beaten
[/quote]

Well, it makes a change from all those smug Ravens fans thinking they have a shot at the AFC North title every year. ;)

[move]Where are the Bungals ???[/move]

bright_blue_shorts 03.02.2006 11:24 PM

I've added the Bengals thread to the "Links to Teams & Divisions".

It's entirely up to individuals whether they post in here or the AFC North thread.

Sometimes there are just things you want to keep inhouse.

BBS :)

BengalBoy 04.02.2006 01:08 PM

I prefer to be in the AFC North thread myself :)

Horrorshow 11.02.2006 09:19 PM

Too late, judge says in dismissing suit vs. Bengals, NFL

Interesting article from CBS Sportsline.com

Too late, judge says in dismissing suit vs. Bengals, NFL

A judge on Thursday dismissed Hamilton County's federal antitrust lawsuit against the Cincinnati Bengals and the National Football League because the suit was not filed within the four-year statute of limitations.

U.S. District Judge S. Arthur Spiegel threw out the suit without getting to the merits of the county's argument that the Bengals misled taxpayers and officials by contending they needed a new stadium to be profitable and might move if they didn't get one.

Hamilton County taxpayers in 1996 approved a one-half-cent sales tax increase to finance the $450 million Paul Brown Stadium. Commissioners signed a lease with the Bengals the following year.

The antitrust lawsuit was not filed until 2003, three years after the Bengals began using the stadium.

"To be sure, the lease that Hamilton County enjoys with the Bengals is highly favorable -- perhaps egregiously so -- to the Bengals," Spiegel wrote.

He said prior members of the board were aware of allegations that league and its teams wielded unlawful antitrust power to obtain favorable leases, but by not filing suit sooner the chance "was lost to the passage of time."

"We are pleased that Judge Spiegel took the time to thoroughly analyze the case and conclude that the facts were on our side," Bengals owner Mike Brown said in a statement released by the team.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league believes Spiegel's opinion demonstrates there was no basis for the county's claims.

Commissioner Todd Portune said he favored discussing all options with attorneys, including an appeal, filing a lawsuit in state court or seeking to reopen negotiations with the Bengals.

It was Portune who originally filed suit against the Bengals as an individual taxpayer. When conflict-of-interest questions arose regarding his position as a commissioner, community activist Carrie Davis took his place as lead plaintiff.

Eventually, county commissioners took over the suit.

Portune said Thursday that the Bengals were largely to blame for the county facing a deficit of $191 million.

In February 2004, Spiegel rejected the NFL's motion to dismiss the case, ruling that Davis could pursue her claims that the NFL violated federal antitrust provisions by using its monopoly to "extort" new stadiums and highly favorable lease terms.

In his ruling Thursday, Spiegel explained why he did not rule at that time that the statute of limitations had expired. He said a new standard was applied when the county commission took over the suit, based not on what an outsider like Davis could know about negotiations but what commissioners knew or should have known.

Spiegel noted that county officials knew all along that the Bengals were profitable, although the lawsuit alleged that the statute of limitations started not in 1997 but in May 2001 when commissioners got a clearer image of profits based on information in a lawsuit between the league and Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis.

ROVERBOY 11.02.2006 09:44 PM

They did well this year and maybe if they could have pipped Denver for 2nd seeds then things might have been different.

I expect them to be in the play-offs next year especially if Carson gets over the knee injury.

Carson2Chad 21.03.2006 02:11 PM

It's being reported that Carson Palmer is "about 4 weeks" ahead of his scheduled rehab. He has been doing intense water rehab in California which has accelerated things. ;D

I really hope that is true.

Orange County 21.03.2006 06:25 PM

From the Official Bengals Newsletter

Quote:

Carson Palmer's press conference from Paul Brown Stadium originally scheduled for Tuesday was postponed because of a spring snowstorm in Cincinnati. The first update on his rehabilitation following Jan. 10 surgery has been rescheduled for Wednesday at 11:45 a.m ET.

Bengals.com will have LIVE audio coverage of the press conference available for fans Wednesday beginning at 11:45. Click the Multimedia tab on the bengals.com home page to access the live audio. We will also provide video coverage of the press conference in its entirety shortly after its conclusion. The video can also be accessed via the Multimedia tab.
So hopefully there will be some positive news for the Bengals come to tomorrow.

Reevzee 20.04.2006 02:13 PM

Has anyone seen the video on www.nfl.com of Chad Johnson "In Their Own Words". Really good. He starts the day with McDonalds which I think is brilliant! Really funny guy and one of the best recievers in the league!

http://www.photofile.com/navbar/nfl/...ait%20Plus.jpg

BengalBoy 20.04.2006 02:45 PM

i reckon he has stopped eating those McDonalds recently though, watched a recent video of him and he looked seriously buff, as in TO buff. But yeh he is a bit renowned for his McDonalds eating ;)

Boycey 31.07.2006 09:11 AM

I have a question for Bengals fans (or anyone who knows the answer i suppose). What is siginificant about the term 'Who Dey?'. It's always puzzled me and i never found out.

Cheers,

Boycey :)

Riggo 31.07.2006 09:15 AM

I think Who Dat was taken (by the saints in the 80's?), so they had to go with Who Dey?

118 M Man #9 31.07.2006 01:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dey

Dawkins#20 16.11.2006 10:06 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g77x8U3ixAo

Indy Colts 17.11.2006 08:55 PM

[quote author=D mac 2 endzone link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=15#msg538319 date=1163714770]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g77x8U3ixAo
[/quote]

lol.. i know have that stong implanted into my head and cant stop whistling it ;D

Indy Colts 27.11.2006 04:13 PM

6 - 5 but we have a very tough match coming up against the 9 and 2 Ravens

be interesting to see how our suddenly reformed D perfroms against the Ravens and how our explosive O performs against the Brick wall that is the Ravens D...

should be close

come on u rams 27.11.2006 09:32 PM

It will be tough for the Bengals to make the playoffs but i'd like to see them do well. They have one of my favourite players in Chad Johnson.

Dragonic 01.12.2006 08:13 PM

Well great win last night, but there is some even better news for the upcoming Raiders game, the following was posted on Bengals.com:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 Return For Bengals

Center Eric Ghiaciuc has been listed as questionable with a sprained knee, but it doesn’t look to be serious enough to prevent him from trying to reach his goal of playing in the Bengals’ next game that is 10 days away against the Raiders.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Friday that three starters will return to the lineup for that game in right guard Bobbie Williams (appendix), defensive tackle John Thornton (knee) and cornerback Deltha O’Neal (shoulder), as well as wide receiver Kelley Washington (hamstring). Center Rich Braham and left tackle Levi Jones, with injured knees, are still questionable.

That is some great news that Bobbie Williams and JT will be back for us along with Kelley and Delta.

Redskinsno.1 01.12.2006 08:27 PM

Nice win for the bengals last night,

Indy Colts 01.12.2006 08:37 PM

[quote author=Dragonic link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=15#msg549578 date=1165004018]
Well great win last night, but there is some even better news for the upcoming Raiders game, the following was posted on Bengals.com:

4 Return For Bengals

Center Eric Ghiaciuc has been listed as questionable with a sprained knee, but it doesn’t look to be serious enough to prevent him from trying to reach his goal of playing in the Bengals’ next game that is 10 days away against the Raiders.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Friday that three starters will return to the lineup for that game in right guard Bobbie Williams (appendix), defensive tackle John Thornton (knee) and cornerback Deltha O’Neal (shoulder), as well as wide receiver Kelley Washington (hamstring). Center Rich Braham and left tackle Levi Jones, with injured knees, are still questionable.

That is some great news that Bobbie Williams and JT will be back for us along with Kelley and Delta.
[/quote]

gigiddy gigiddy ohhh riiiiiiiiiiight

peter101 25.01.2007 01:57 PM

Just found this on another website

NBA OR NFL?
36 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 repeat
71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits, and
84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is, NBA or NFL?

Neither, it's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line. And people go crazy when a Bengal is arrested for mimor things compared to this list

Carson2Chad 25.01.2007 04:33 PM

See Chris Henry has been given 2 days in jail for his latest offence. Maybe that will make him sort himself out.

Our offence is much better when he plays.

cablej 25.01.2007 05:28 PM

i think that once our defense gets an ID and Marvin becomes more disciplined next year,we can be superbowl challengers nxt year.

peter101 25.01.2007 06:46 PM

We should be alot better next season on defensive if we make the right moves in the draft and free agency. If we dont go defense with our first 3 picks i will be dissapointed

Carson2Chad 26.01.2007 11:40 AM

[quote author=Peter101 link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=30#msg594333 date=1169750814]
We should be alot better next season on defensive if we make the right moves in the draft and free agency. If we dont go defense with our first 3 picks i will be dissapointed
[/quote]

I don't think we get a third round pick this year as we took Brooks in the supplemental draft last year ??? I may be wrong though. A DT and a DE in the first 2 rounds for me.

Dragonic 26.01.2007 04:02 PM

[quote author=WhoDey link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=30#msg594733 date=1169811607]
[quote author=Peter101 link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=30#msg594333 date=1169750814]
[/quote]

I don't think we get a third round pick this year as we took Brooks in the supplemental draft last year ??? I may be wrong though. A DT and a DE in the first 2 rounds for me.
[/quote]

Yup your right, we don't get a 3rd rounder as it was spent in the supplemental.

Personally i want a very heavy defensive minded draft, our offense was stellar last season when it got going, and i agree with you a DT and DE in the first 2 rounds would be a good start.

Stormbird 1075 26.01.2007 04:45 PM

[quote author=cablej link=board=1;threadid=17310;start=30#msg594255 date=1169746084]
i think that once our defense gets an ID and Marvin becomes more disciplined next year,we can be superbowl challengers nxt year.
[/quote]
I concur. The bengals have a great team and coach and they really lost it towards the end of this season, which was a shame. I am a big fan of the bengals (I consider them my "second" team, if there is such a thing) and really enjoy seeing them do well.

BengalScotland77 02.02.2007 06:38 PM

With our receivers and general defensive strength, it would shock me if they got in picks. The O-line have not been able to keep Palmer protected, and that's not a great sign as he's not exactly fast! The ends need a bit of strengthening for sure, then we just need to keep injury and crime free for a season and we'll be watching the Bengals next Super Bash! Whodey!

peter101 13.02.2007 11:03 AM

Well it looks like we are goin to franchise Smith which would be the biggest wasted of money ever $8.6 million, i like his work ethic and all that but he is not worth that money

I would rather spend that money else where like Thomas or Briggs and use the tag on Stienbach, it was obvious that we need protection for Palmer so keep him and let Smith go