NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   NCAA College Football (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New To College Football (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=75191)

VABrit 15.10.2011 05:04 PM

And from the NFL rulebook :


"The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over."

Csonka#39 15.10.2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VABrit (Post 1430982)
And from the NFL rulebook :


"The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over."

Thank you for taking the time to look that up and clarify things for me VA :)

Much obliged to you :)

njwheelbarrow 09.11.2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flytoheaven (Post 1452260)
Wow , fantastic

It took almost a year but finally someone commented on my joke! Gawd bless you sir ;)

Bretts 10.11.2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njwheelbarrow (Post 1452740)
It took almost a year but finally someone commented on my joke! Gawd bless you sir ;)

Dont get too excited. This Flytoheaven fellow had his first 11 posts yesterday and I done think any contained more than 2 word sentances.

Think he just picked yours at random. Nice joke though:D


Expect his spammimg raid soon:rolleyes:

ArtMonk81 27.11.2011 04:40 PM

Its funny, Ive been watching NFL fanatically since 1986, and NEVER been interested in college in the slightest. To be fair, Ive never really tried to watch a game, but I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years, makes me disinterested.
Also, when ive caught a few moments of coverage, I find the studio teams third rate in comparison to those that analyse NFL games, I find everything about the entire set up a massive switch off.
Not meant to be a trolling comment this or a critisism of what you guys clearly love, I just dont get it.

comrade 28.11.2011 09:38 AM

I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years

Re the 'archaic' thing, I can think of at least ten rivalries in college football that matter more to their fans than any rivalry in the NFL, and no 10-6 team is ever going to have a chance of winning it all. The regular season really matters.

More importantly, college football players tend to eat, live and breathe for their team. Many of the best players play for the team that they grew up supporting. They only have 4 years to make their mark, so it really matters to them.

Far better than forcing players to move to a place that they have no connections with, and no love for, just for the sake of balance. Then worse, expecting them to show some sort of loyalty.

Just so you know, here is a list of college teams that have larger capacity stadia than the Giants' and Jets' MetLife stadium, which is the biggest in the NFL...

Michigan Wolverines
Penn State Nittany Lions
Tennessee Volunteers
Ohio State Buckeyes
Alabama Crimson Tide
Texas Longhorns
UCLA Bruins
USC Trojans
Georgia Bulldogs
LSU Tigers
Florida Gators
Auburn Tigers
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Texas A&M Aggies

That's 14 teams and, with the exception of UCLA, they're tend to be at least 90% full for all but their 'cupcake' game. The top six get 100,000+ for most games. Assuming all goes OK, Nebraska will have sold out every single home game for 50 years next year.

I used to think that college football was a sideshow. Now, for me, it's the main event.

filek 28.11.2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtMonk81 (Post 1466398)
Its funny, Ive been watching NFL fanatically since 1986, and NEVER been interested in college in the slightest. To be fair, Ive never really tried to watch a game, but I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years, makes me disinterested.
Also, when ive caught a few moments of coverage, I find the studio teams third rate in comparison to those that analyse NFL games, I find everything about the entire set up a massive switch off.
Not meant to be a trolling comment this or a critisism of what you guys clearly love, I just dont get it.

the fact that any NFL may move to another city any time, throwing all of its tradition and legacy out of the window to make money elsewhere makes me disinterested.

and i dont get the comment about studio teams being third rate. Really? College Gameday is one of the most storied and important programmes in the history of American sports TV.

covering College FB you've got legendary announcers (Musberger, Lundquist, Patrick etc), coaches (Corso, Holtz, Bellotti, recently Meyer etc) ,accomplished players (James,Millen, Danielson etc) and up and coming TV stars (Davis, Tessitore, Johnson etc). So I dont know what your point was :confused:
don't tell me you wanted Michael Irvin ? :)

ArtMonk81 28.11.2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filek (Post 1467839)
the fact that any NFL may move to another city any time, throwing all of its tradition and legacy out of the window to make money elsewhere makes me disinterested.

and i dont get the comment about studio teams being third rate. Really? College Gameday is one of the most storied and important programmes in the history of American sports TV.

covering College FB you've got legendary announcers (Musberger, Lundquist, Patrick etc), coaches (Corso, Holtz, Bellotti, recently Meyer etc) ,accomplished players (James,Millen, Danielson etc) and up and coming TV stars (Davis, Tessitore, Johnson etc). So I dont know what your point was :confused:
don't tell me you wanted Michael Irvin ? :)

Well as I dont watch College, I didnt know any of that, or the previous contributors' facts either. The point is, I dont give a damn about it, which is a good job because I have a life to get on with.

I assume youre talking about Vern Lundquist and Matt Millen, I dont know why youve bizarrely missed out their first names. The rest Ive never heard of, but I'll betcha theyd all rather be covering NFL than College.

I wasnt trying to be insulting in my original post, but youve both taken it so personally, which is weird, get a grip. In about 20 years of buying First Down every week, I always glanced to see if Syracuse were in the Top 20, but aside from that, the 2 page college spread went unread every week.

Pardon my ignorance, but dont the top teams get to choose who they play each season???

HolyRoller10 28.11.2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrade (Post 1467819)
I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years

Re the 'archaic' thing, I can think of at least ten rivalries in college football that matter more to their fans than any rivalry in the NFL, and no 10-6 team is ever going to have a chance of winning it all. The regular season really matters.

More importantly, college football players tend to eat, live and breathe for their team. Many of the best players play for the team that they grew up supporting. They only have 4 years to make their mark, so it really matters to them.

Far better than forcing players to move to a place that they have no connections with, and no love for, just for the sake of balance. Then worse, expecting them to show some sort of loyalty.

Just so you know, here is a list of college teams that have larger capacity stadia than the Giants' and Jets' MetLife stadium, which is the biggest in the NFL...

Michigan Wolverines
Penn State Nittany Lions
Tennessee Volunteers
Ohio State Buckeyes
Alabama Crimson Tide
Texas Longhorns
UCLA Bruins
USC Trojans
Georgia Bulldogs
LSU Tigers
Florida Gators
Auburn Tigers
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Texas A&M Aggies

That's 14 teams and, with the exception of UCLA, they're tend to be at least 90% full for all but their 'cupcake' game. The top six get 100,000+ for most games. Assuming all goes OK, Nebraska will have sold out every single home game for 50 years next year.

I used to think that college football was a sideshow. Now, for me, it's the main event.

And Michigan has had 250+ games with 100K+ attendance. The last game under 100K was in 1975.

Can someone please name me a Pro franchise in any other sport that has gone 35+ years of straight over 100,000 attendance for each game? (NFL, baseball, NBA, soccer, cricket, that sport where they run around an oval field, bull-fighting, hot-dog eating) where this has been surpassed or also occurred?

9erfan 28.11.2011 06:39 PM

I personally love the NFL over college but I watch every college game I can.I have followed the Longhorns since 1972.My mom took a picture of me in a Longhorn t-shirt back then and I still have it.

Speaking of college here is an awesome catch by a receiver for Marshall.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...=ncaaf-wp10597


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.