NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Off-Topic - Sports (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   College basketball (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=88529)

Hollywood_87 16.02.2012 12:45 AM

College basketball
 
Any other college basketball fans on here? Quite surprised that there isn't a thread on it.

My Indiana Hoosiers are having a great season with freshman Cody Zeller a revelation. Great turnaround from the last few barren years after the program was on probation. Next years incoming class is probably one of the top 10 in the nation so things are looking very bright. Looking forward to March madness.

Who you tipping for championship glory? UK, OSU, Syracuse? Or maybe a dark horse can make a deep run circa Butler '10/11

thedisciple 16.02.2012 01:51 AM

college basketball is the best, far superior to NBA. This season should a doozy and I'm sure interest on this forum will pick up once March Madness starts. Go Syracuse Orange!

GBPacker 18.02.2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedisciple (Post 1540801)
college basketball is the best, far superior to NBA. This season should a doozy and I'm sure interest on this forum will pick up once March Madness starts. Go Syracuse Orange!

Gotta agree with that sentiment - infinitely better than NBA. I'm going to reserve my judgement until the conference championships are done, coward that I am...

vann_mcelroy 19.02.2012 06:09 PM

Anything college is better than anything pro, with the exception of Baseball.

Love March madness and all the bracket madness that comes along with it.

Love how smaller teams like Gozanga and Pepperdine can rock it with the big boys from time to time as well.

As for my team, Should really be USC just like football but I go for ...

http://media.independent.com/img/pho...26/gauchos.jpg

Dave C 19.02.2012 06:20 PM

I don't follow it too closely but I often find myself engrossed in a game as its always on ESPN America.

I like the Gators and Badgers.

My limited knowledge pick? Kentucky or Syracuse probably. Maybe Kansas St as an outsider.

hoggy20 20.02.2012 08:38 AM

I'm a Hoya! :D

Goodfry 21.02.2012 07:40 AM

As far as he regular season it looks like Kentucky are at a level above everyone else this season. I have watched more Syracuse basketball than any other sports team this season as a follower of the program my opinion they are 27-1 but they aren't a great team. They have a few key problems which will bite them at one stage; they can't shot from outside the paint. They are one of the best defences in the nation so as long as the team they are playing can't hit 3's but they always give up dumb fouls giving the other team easy foul points. They are also inexperienced playing ranked teams outside the dome so far only Louisville and it was just a 1 point win in a game they almost lost. It's not like anything about the Big East has been impressive this season their schedule hasn't tested them that much.

Aside from Kentucky I can see Michigan State winning it all. Good organised team that has tested them self against the best with their out of conference schedule and is getting hot when it matters. Notre Dame also has to be considered a dark horse contender after their massive win streak. In the mid Majors Long Beach State, Gonzaga and BYU could make some noise all three have the talent and form to suprise.

thedisciple 24.02.2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodfry (Post 1543668)
As far as he regular season it looks like Kentucky are at a level above everyone else this season. I have watched more Syracuse basketball than any other sports team this season as a follower of the program my opinion they are 27-1 but they aren't a great team. They have a few key problems which will bite them at one stage; they can't shot from outside the paint. They are one of the best defences in the nation so as long as the team they are playing can't hit 3's but they always give up dumb fouls giving the other team easy foul points. They are also inexperienced playing ranked teams outside the dome so far only Louisville and it was just a 1 point win in a game they almost lost. It's not like anything about the Big East has been impressive this season their schedule hasn't tested them that much.

Aside from Kentucky I can see Michigan State winning it all. Good organised team that has tested them self against the best with their out of conference schedule and is getting hot when it matters. Notre Dame also has to be considered a dark horse contender after their massive win streak. In the mid Majors Long Beach State, Gonzaga and BYU could make some noise all three have the talent and form to suprise.

It's good to see another Syracuse fan on this forum. How does a Brit come to be a 'cuse fan? You are right that the team hasn't been shooting well from outside lately, but the good news is that they are capable. They were shooting close to 40 percent earlier this year.

A bigger problem for Syracuse is defensive rebounding, and the fact that Notre Dame may have shown the world how to beat Syracuse. Slow the game down, don't turn the ball over, and hit your threes...... easier said than done.

One big advantage that Syracuse has is the fact that few teams outside of the Big East know how to attack the 2-3 Zone. Syracuse will always have close games in the Big East because Pitino, Calhoun and company have each seen it many times.

Come march madness, syracuse will play teams that rarely see zone, let alone the mighty 2-3. This was a major factor in Syracuse winning in '03, they played all Big 12 teams that don't face much zone.

Goodfry 24.02.2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedisciple (Post 1545102)
It's good to see another Syracuse fan on this forum. How does a Brit come to be a 'cuse fan? You are right that the team hasn't been shooting well from outside lately, but the good news is that they are capable. They were shooting close to 40 percent earlier this year.

A bigger problem for Syracuse is defensive rebounding, and the fact that Notre Dame may have shown the world how to beat Syracuse. Slow the game down, don't turn the ball over, and hit your threes...... easier said than done.

One big advantage that Syracuse has is the fact that few teams outside of the Big East know how to attack the 2-3 Zone. Syracuse will always have close games in the Big East because Pitino, Calhoun and company have each seen it many times.

Come march madness, syracuse will play teams that rarely see zone, let alone the mighty 2-3. This was a major factor in Syracuse winning in '03, they played all Big 12 teams that don't face much zone.

Follower of the Bills with their local major conference college to Buffalo being Syracuse easy excuse to support a winning program. The football sucks but it's a great team to follow in BBall. Due to my work patterns it usually works out that i can watch their games. ESPN all ways put on Big East games since Syracuse are all ways contending for the conference the games get on TV frequently.

The Notre Dame game did expose weakness and it didn't. Fab Melo wasn't in the line-up which did prove the myth of this team not needing one single player to win. It didn't expose Cuse because if Melo controlling things on D Notre Dame don't penetrate the zone so easily.

If Syracuse get hot they can win it all but as of right now they are struggling to get to 60 points in a game against unranked teams which is happening every week. They need to find a jump shooter or they are going out in the sweet 16

Hollywood_87 04.03.2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodfry (Post 1545218)
Follower of the Bills with their local major conference college to Buffalo being Syracuse easy excuse to support a winning program. The football sucks but it's a great team to follow in BBall.

Change the words 'Bills' 'Buffalo' and 'Syracuse' to 'Colts' 'Indianapolis' and 'IU' and I'm exactly the same. And boy does our college football team suck! Randle-El is a legend though. And down with Purdue tonight. Boiler down!

March Madness starting soon chaps after the tourneys, I hope to see some good banter on this thread, especially when Kentucky choke in the second round ;)


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.