NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   NFL season (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Draft (2002-2018) (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=116993)

RichardCunliffe 09.04.2019 03:57 PM

The Draft (2002-2018)

It's that 'boring' time of the year when we're waiting for the Draft to finally arrive, so I thought i'd look back over the top 10 picks of each draft since 2002. The plan is to post the top 10 picks of a new draft each day, starting in 2002.....through to 2018. (Hence the thread title).

Not going into any depth, just interesting to see the names that went in the top 10 of any given year, plus the names that fell through the cracks a little.

2002 Top 10:

The inaugural season of the Houston Texans i'll have you know!

1. Houston Texans: David Carr, QB. Fresno State.
2. Carolina Panthers: Julius Peppers, DE. North Carolina.
3. Detroit Lions: Joey Harrington, QB. Oregon.
4. Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, OT. Texas.
5. San Diego Chargers: Quentin Jammer, CB. Texas.
6. Kansas City Chiefs: Ryan Sims, DT. North Carolina.
7. Minnesota Vikings: Bryant McKinnie. OT. Miami (FL).
8. Dallas Cowboys: Roy Williams, S. Oklahoma.
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: John Henderson, DT. Tennessee.
10: Cincinnati Bengals: Levi Jones, OT. Arizona State.

Notable 1st round picks outside the top 10:

11. Indianapolis Colts: Dwight Freeney, DE. Syracuse.
24. Baltimore Ravens: Ed Reed, S. Miami (FL). (HoF)

goodkarma84 09.04.2019 04:08 PM

poor old David Carr, he never stood a chance as he got killed behind that awful OL.

RichardCunliffe 09.04.2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodkarma84 (Post 2397095)
poor old David Carr, he never stood a chance as he got killed behind that awful OL.

What was Joey Harrington's excuse? Their O line had some Lions stalwarts on it, Backus and Raiola, although they were only drafted the year before.

Not often you North Carolina, Texas, Texas, North Carolina, going picks 2, 4, 5, 6.

Crash11 09.04.2019 04:40 PM

Good RB class- Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook & Chester Taylor

WR class was pretty poor - Javon Walker soon fizzled out, whilst 2nd rounder Deion Branch had the most productive career

Whilst Ed Reed was the best pick of the draft honourable mention goes to Brett Kiesel - 7th rounder. Always one of my favourite non- Dolphins

LesterHayes 09.04.2019 04:41 PM

Well that 2002 Top 10 stunk up the place a bit. David Carr was doomed pretty much from the beginning with horrible to non existent blocking and Joey Harrington went to the place (at the time) where all good players go to die. I can't remember if he was ever that good though.

Outside of Peppers and McKinney it's all pretty much rubbish.

You did miss Jeremy Shockey at #14 who I think deserves a mention.

RichardCunliffe 09.04.2019 04:56 PM

The year before put it to shame really.

Decided to stop short of sifting through every round, but was hoping others would expand on the initial 'top 10's' if they wanted to. So that worked out well. :)

wayne ellis 09.04.2019 05:33 PM

Fair to say that wasn’t a great Draft for the Jets, even by our usual standards. Bryan Thomas saved it from being a total trainwreck.

lee harris 10 09.04.2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash11 (Post 2397097)
Good RB class- Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook & Chester Taylor

WR class was pretty poor - Javon Walker soon fizzled out, whilst 2nd rounder Deion Branch had the most productive career

Whilst Ed Reed was the best pick of the draft honourable mention goes to Brett Kiesel - 7th rounder. Always one of my favourite non- Dolphins

as well as getting Kiesel in the 7th the Steelers also got James Harrison who went un-drafted that year.

also Matt Bryant was an un-drafted guy in 2002 and is still going strong.

RichardCunliffe 09.04.2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne ellis (Post 2397101)
Fair to say that wasn’t a great Draft for the Jets, even by our usual standards. Bryan Thomas saved it from being a total trainwreck.

Brandon Moore as an UDFA too. Although it's tough to give much credit for unearthing a guy you passed on several times in the actual draft.

lee harris 10 09.04.2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe (Post 2397094)
It's that 'boring' time of the year when we're waiting for the Draft to finally arrive, so I thought i'd look back over the top 10 picks of each draft since 2002. The plan is to post the top 10 picks of a new draft each day, starting in 2002.....through to 2018. (Hence the thread title).

Not going into any depth, just interesting to see the names that went in the top 10 of any given year, plus the names that fell through the cracks a little.

2002 Top 10:

The inaugural season of the Houston Texans i'll have you know!

1. Houston Texans: David Carr, QB. Fresno State.
2. Carolina Panthers: Julius Peppers, DE. North Carolina.
3. Detroit Lions: Joey Harrington, QB. Oregon.
4. Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, OT. Texas.
5. San Diego Chargers: Quentin Jammer, CB. Texas.
6. Kansas City Chiefs: Ryan Sims, DT. North Carolina.
7. Minnesota Vikings: Bryant McKinnie. OT. Miami (FL).
8. Dallas Cowboys: Roy Williams, S. Oklahoma.
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: John Henderson, DT. Tennessee.
10: Cincinnati Bengals: Levi Jones, OT. Arizona State.

Notable 1st round picks outside the top 10:

11. Indianapolis Colts: Dwight Freeney, DE. Syracuse.
24. Baltimore Ravens: Ed Reed, S. Miami (FL). (HoF)

David Carr according to sportstrac finished his NFL career with a nice $40m in career earnings and also "won" a ring with the 2011 Giants.Think by the end of this process he actually wont even make the worst top high 5 1st round QB's,just drafted by a brand new franchise and became a sack magnet.