NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   New Orleans Saints (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Saints thread (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=6493)

SteButt 21.07.2005 08:51 PM

The "Big Easy" New Orleans Saints thread

Saints thread.

MurrayC 21.07.2005 10:38 PM

Re:Saints thread

If Brooks plays to his potential, I can see the Saints being a real threat this season. If they continue to play like they did at the end of the last season, they could be a real dark horse.

YorkshireRaven 22.07.2005 02:18 PM

maybe squeeze into the WC but nothin more

chrisandtuz 22.07.2005 02:23 PM

A wildcard would be great for the saints!
I tipped them as a dark horse last season, McAllister, Brooks & Horn could be a great triplet, just waiting for Brooks to be consistent!!

KBell97 22.07.2005 04:54 PM

[quote author=MurrayC link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=0#msg258578 date=1121985492]
If Brooks plays to his potential, I can see the Saints being a real threat this season. If they continue to play like they did at the end of the last season, they could be a real dark horse.
[/quote]

It's true that Brooks needs to cut out the idiotic plays and just play smart, but for the Saints to make as serious playoff run, it's the defense that needs to improve. If they can get .500 seasons out of an inconsistent offense with a banged up Deuce McAllister, and no defense, you can only imagine what they'd do at full potential.

The other problem is coaching, not only in-game but from Monday-Saturday. New Orleans are always ill-prepared, unmotivated and lathargic, hense their underachieving mannerism. If Coach Haslett instilled more discipline into the program, you'd see a different football team.

IndyUK 22.07.2005 05:12 PM

[quote author=SteButt link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=0#msg258802 date=1122051923]
Quote:

It's true that Brooks needs to cut out the idiotic plays and just play smart, but for the Saints to make as serious playoff run, it's the defense that needs to improve. If they can get .500 seasons out of an inconsistent offense with a banged up Deuce McAllister, and no defense, you can only imagine what they'd do at full potential.

The other problem is coaching, not only in-game but from Monday-Saturday. New Orleans are always ill-prepared, unmotivated and lathargic, hense their underachieving mannerism. If Coach Haslett instilled more discipline into the program, you'd see a different football team

It's funny really, we were 4-8 and down and out - and then when the pressure was off they played for Haslett and we finished 8-8 and he kept his job. So they are capable, and they will play for him. But I think last season was his last chance - he needs at least a winning record this year to convince anyone that he's the man for the job.

The defense will be the key - 32nd in the league last year it can only get better, but will it???
[/quote]

I know what its like to have a crap D playing for your team, and if you guys were ranked lower than the Colts, thats bad!!

Still only one way to go when you are ranked last /\

Panthers17 22.07.2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Still only one way to go when you are ranked last
Never new it was possible to finish 33rd ;)
All those stats they are nice but they don't really mean anything, the most important stat in a game is the scorline!
Seriously though now I have seen the schedule for the Saints it could be possible for 8-8 or 9-7 record just as long they cause some upsets (as long as it's not against the Panthers) but being the NFL it could go either way.

Gman84 22.07.2005 11:59 PM

This has to be Brooks bery last chance. When Haslett first came in Jeff Blake lead the team for most of the season but Brooks won the play-off game. Him and Haslett have been living off that since.

Brooks is inconsistent and can't respond under pressure. I love his highlight reel plays though, particularly the backward pass vs the Raiders last year. ;D I doubt he changes and I think he'll be looking for a new team in 2006.

In Hasletts case, it's strange how coaches with a rep for certain things (in his case defense) seem to lose that skill in the mix of having to manage everything else. Marv Lewis is another case, he's fixed a lot what is wrong in Cinci but can't get that D to play at all.

On D, the Saints main problem is vs the run, if you rank 32nd in total defense, give up 4.6 yards a carry and allow the joint 3rd most first downs rushing in the league you are always going to struggle despite what your offense is capable of.

With the Panthers getting players back, the Falcons in good shape and the Bucs a team that may be struggling but knows how to win, I don't see the Saints being that competitive this coming season.

colts#1 24.07.2005 09:36 AM

Wow a Saints thread with only one REAL saints fan posting ;)

I've never been fond of the Saints . I've always seen them as being negative and boring but however they have always proved me wrong by playing well (occasionaly). When Brooks,Deuce and horn play well they can be exciting (not quite as exciting as the Colts trio) In many ways they are similar to the Colts: Exciting offense (when they want to be) and poor D (although I think the Colt's is on the up)

BuccaneersUK 24.07.2005 10:14 AM

[quote author=SteButt link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=0#msg259076 date=1122199319]
Explosive offence, cack defense.

Defense comes 32nd last year, we draft.......an offensive tackle!! ::)Now, Brown is meant to be good but we're desperate for an upgrade at linebacker and corner, surely we could have signed somebody to help those areas!!

By the way there's at least another Saints fan knocking around, I'm sure I've seen him.......

[/quote]

You got Dwight, any word on where he'll be played?

leapingatlambeau 24.07.2005 10:24 AM

[quote author=SteButt link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=0#msg259076 date=1122199319]

Defense comes 32nd last year, we draft.......an offensive tackle!! ::)Now, Brown is meant to be good but we're desperate for an upgrade at linebacker and corner, surely we could have signed somebody to help those areas!!

By the way there's at least another Saints fan knocking around, I'm sure I've seen him.......

[/quote]

My mate English Saint posts on here sometimes. Him and a mate have got season tickets for the saints this year. He'll get to 6 games.

Including Lambeau with me in October. If you need anything saints related then PM me and i'll give you his mail address. He's always keen on meeting new fans.

PS Ive been to 5 Saints games in the dome with him. Awesome city !!

packer_fan84 24.07.2005 03:31 PM

[quote author=Panther17 link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=0#msg258842 date=1122062121]
Quote:

Still only one way to go when you are ranked last
Never new it was possible to finish 33rd ;)
All those stats they are nice but they don't really mean anything, the most important stat in a game is the scorline!
Seriously though now I have seen the schedule for the Saints it could be possible for 8-8 or 9-7 record just as long they cause some upsets (as long as it's not against the Panthers) but being the NFL it could go either way.
[/quote]

The Saints will always cause upsets against the better teams, they just shoot themselves in the foot by losing to crapper teams. For example the year the Bucs won the super bowl, the saints beat them twice that year.

AZ 29.07.2005 11:31 AM

Saints sign McKinnon

Wire services
Jul. 29, 2005 12:00 AM

New Orleans signed free-agent linebacker Ronald McKinnon to a one-year contract on Thursday.

McKinnon spent his first nine NFL seasons with the Cardinals.

Terms were not disclosed.

hope he does well for you - i always liked him :)

leapingatlambeau 29.07.2005 12:49 PM

[quote author=SteButt link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=15#msg259212 date=1122226128]
[quote author=leapingatlambeau link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=0#msg259087 date=1122200650]

[/quote]

My mate English Saint posts on here sometimes. Him and a mate have got season tickets for the saints this year. He'll get to 6 games.

Including Lambeau with me in October. If you need anything saints related then PM me and i'll give you his mail address. He's always keen on meeting new fans.

PS Ive been to 5 Saints games in the dome with him. Awesome city !!
[/quote]

How do people afford to go? It's a labour of love obviously. I'd love to go to New Orleans but hell knows how I could justify the expense!!

Thanks for the info, I'll bear it in mind :D
[/quote]

It is a labour of love. I'm lucky with my job i suppose.

Booked Browns,Bucs, Panthers on the road and the Saints games. its a month off work.

the Ravens and bears over christmas, gonna be cold at Lambeau !! :)

englishsaint 15.09.2005 10:17 AM

For all British Saints Fans, please note that we have now launched our own website www.britishsaints.com. It is gonna be slow going as it is very time consuming plus I have only just returned from the Carolina game.
The photos should be added this week.

Keep the FAITH and get in touch editor@britishsaints.com

NOLAsaint 15.09.2005 06:45 PM

Thanks englishsaint.

I had no idea there were so many dedicated Saints fans here in the UK.

I'll keep an eye on your site.

Monie 27.09.2005 11:09 AM

If anyone has the Vikings game, look out for a moment midway through the 2nd quarter i think where LeCharles Bentley bitchslaps Pat Williams :P

Pretty funny, but it 0wned him ragged

Gman84 10.10.2005 02:01 PM

Sorry Saints fans, but this team does need change and I'm not saying that because of yesterday or this season, but more a look over the past few years. Both Brooks and Haslett are living off the franchises only play-off win four seasons ago and just can't get any consistencey. Brooks especially, the guy has talent, but the mental side of the game is so important for a QB and he just does things that make you wonder how the heck it's possible for a QB to mess up that badly.

I appreciate the Saints have had other problems this year that even the most talneted team would have had trouble facing but still, this team has just stood still for four years after the first year of Hasletts reign when he did so much so quickly.

Mav 10.10.2005 03:55 PM

What's the word on young McPherson?

Everyone I spoke to State-side is convinced he's going to be one of the better QBs in the league. Some even say he's going to be better than both Smith and Rodgers.

I've not seen/know much about him (I don't follow College FB that well) but everything I have heard seems to be pretty good.

flep 10.10.2005 06:09 PM

Stebutt

Thanks for last night in the chatroom. had a great laugh.

As we've got a bye next week i might pop round just to see wahats happening!!

flep 10.10.2005 07:05 PM

I predict a Saints win

I have my crystal ball out again!!!!

Dale01 22.12.2005 08:10 PM

we where poor this season i really have given up hope on this team. :'(

Dale01 22.12.2005 09:08 PM

thanks fo the encouragement, at times i thought about giving up all hope but i guess i love the saints too much. :)

Dale01 22.12.2005 09:09 PM

neway what about he detroit game i reckon we got a chance in this one.

The Alster 23.12.2005 12:26 AM

[quote author=Dale01 link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=30#msg378550 date=1135285780]
neway what about he detroit game i reckon we got a chance in this one.
[/quote]

Ever since week 1 you can never say 'The saints don't stand a chance'.

ExtremeSteve 26.12.2005 08:53 PM

Hey I'm new to the NFLUK boards and I have come to share in the pain of being a Saints fan, possibly the most unlucky team on earth.

Dale01 27.12.2005 11:04 PM

watch this video it puts it into perspective what being a saints fan is all about http://www.nfl.com/video/16 sorry dont know how to make the video play automatically just click on video features an ode to new orleans ;D

uksaintsfan 31.12.2005 01:24 AM

I'd suggest you read "Saga of the Saints" by Wayne Mack if you ever really want to understand more about this unique, amazing franchise, and city....

Or visit the Saints Hall of Fame at Rivertown, Kenner if you ever get the chance.

Horrorshow 11.02.2006 09:58 PM

Saints hire two more assistants

From CBS Sportsline.com

Saints hire two more assistants

Titans assistant George Henshaw was hired as New Orleans Saints senior assistant and running backs coach Friday.

Henshaw, who spent nine seasons in Tennessee, served as the assistant head coach and the offensive coordinator in game planning, and coached tight ends for the Titans. Earlier in his stint with Tennessee, Henshaw coached running backs, tight ends and the offensive line.

Greg McMahon was hired as assistant special teams coach. He has coached for over 20 years, including a one-year stint as tight ends/special teams coach at East Carolina.

Crowder#52 12.03.2006 04:00 PM

Miami are apparently close to agreeing terms with Sedrick Hodge and do you think he is a good pick up for us? Is he a big loss for you?

danny17 12.03.2006 04:09 PM

Who would the Saints rather have. Brees or Leinart. Me personally Brees and then go for the Brick in the draft. Then Leinart might fall to the Titans. Yay.

Lc63 05.04.2006 09:23 AM

i h8 the saints booo official last placers in our division. they simply are an easy match on the schedule but i think getting rid off brooks was a good idea brees is better and with deuce mcallister coming back they may pose more of a threat to the nfl. they should have been the team to go to la it would have meant not rebuilding the superdome and saved the nfl alot of money and agro

Sedge 07.04.2006 08:02 AM

Looks like Saints have dealt Gandy to the Falcons for Bryan Scott and an unspecified 2nd day pick:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorec...ticleID=163445

So, first the QB position is filled, and now the LT position has opened up. Does this mean it's Ferguson as #2 pick? Or will Jammal Brown slide across? If you drafted Ferguson, you could have one hell of a pair of tackles for years to come. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Incidentally, Scott is, by all accounts, one of the worst starting safeties in the league. The Saints have been playing against him twice a year for the last three years, and surely the smart thing to do would have been to leave him there and hope he somehow manages to hold onto his job ;).

Soko 07.04.2006 02:19 PM

Scott was great for 4 games last year then he got concussed. Since then he has been atrocious, honestly the worst DB I've seen play in the league. He has zero confidence, positioning play out of synce and he couldn't tackle a breakfast. Saints fans were alluding to Gandy possibly being cut anyway for refusing to restructure, well Scott would have been cut for being a sorry dismal football player. Delighted he's gone.

Now he could improve but his confidence is shot to bits. I hope he stars for you guys because if its Dunn against Scott then he's taking it to the house.

Gandy is a stop gap for our young tackle Omiyale. Seems like a good fit as no one could be worse pass protecting than Kevin Shaffer. You're going to love him Browns fans ;)

Reevzee 04.05.2006 12:35 PM

When I found out that Reggie Bush would be falling to number 2 I was worried because I thought he would be wasted at the Saints. Now this was a bad thing to say on my part because I was still in shock that Reggie wasn't going number 1.

I would just like to say that Reggie Bush will be perfect for the Saints I think he'll bring a fresh, new look to the Saints organisation. I think that it was a blessing that Reggie fell to you guys and I just wanted to show my support to Reggie Bush and to the fact that the Saints organisation wont be a bad place for Reggie to play!

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2...g_bush_195.jpg

The Game 05.05.2006 12:19 AM

The Saints are definitely heading in the right direction and they made the right decision to hang onto Bush despite the interest he had from us. The NFC South is a pretty tough divison though and I see the Panthers winning it. I think the Atlanta Falcons are the most overarted team in the NFL and the Saints could push for a Wildcard berth along with Tampa Bay.

I mean obviously Jeff Faine is no LeCharles Bentley and in all fairness apart from Joe Horn you don't have a standout reciever. I think the key for the Saints this season is how Drew Brees performs if he can play like last season then the Saints are looking good I just hope the Saints stay in New Orleans now.

kearton 21.09.2006 12:17 PM

[quote author=SteButt link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=60#msg498701 date=1158620783]
Damn :(

Well that's your loss, because that means I'm the only one here who can appreciate the wonders of the Payton era and the next rookie of the year, Mr Reggie Bush :D

Maybe I'll get a friend one day ::)
[/quote]

Hey dude your not alone no more

Dale01 22.09.2006 02:43 PM

well that makes 3 of us now good to see a couple more around, and hey what a start to the season

nearmy05 22.09.2006 02:50 PM

can kinda half join u 3 there as the saints are my second team
ex mate persuaded me to support the pats when i was a saints fan
still buy there jerseys and get there dvds from pontel

ExtremeSteve 23.09.2006 01:56 PM

Make it 4, can't wait for monday!