NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Seattle Seahawks (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Seattle Seahawks Thread (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=5504)

KingdomeUK 12.09.2005 11:21 AM

Re:Seattle Seahawks Thread

Whoops! ::) Things can only get better.............

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/footba...87_hawk12.html

Bumbling Hawks can't handle Jaguars' heat in 26-14 loss

By DANNY O'NEIL
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The final offensive play didn't decide Seattle's season opener.

It described it.

Matt Hasselbeck ended up in pain after Reggie Hayward hit him, and the ball came fluttering out. The Jaguars took possession after Paul Spicer caught it in the air.

It was the play-by-play call of the Seahawks' final snap. It was the story of the second half of Jacksonville's 26-14 victory at Alltel Stadium. Hasselbeck was pressured, the Seahawks crossed midfield only twice after halftime and finished the game with five turnovers -- their most in any game since Oct. 26, 2003.

The Seahawks' final three possessions ended in turnovers, all by Hasselbeck. Two were interceptions and one a fumble.

"Am I upset with myself right now? Yeah, I am," he said. "But there are going to be games like this."

He left the game, holding his right arm awkwardly at his side. He took his left hand and yanked at the towel attached to his waistband. It was a portrait of the two feelings from the game, equal parts peeved and pained.

"That was a combination of pain and frustration," Hasselbeck said.

Hasselbeck said he wasn't seriously injured.

Hasselbeck's turnover on Seattle's final play was just a bookend to the game that began when Josh Scobey fumbled away the opening kickoff. Jacksonville didn't turn the ball over once.

"You can't turn the ball over," coach Mike Holmgren said. "That's an overused term, but it's very appropriate today."

Four times, Seattle committed turnovers that gave Jacksonville possession on the Seahawks' half of the field. Yet those four possessions produced a total of nine points.

"That's what the defense is here for," defensive tackle Marcus Tubbs said. "Come put out fires and help the offense as much as we can."

The defense was stout when it needed to be. Seattle twice stopped Jacksonville on third-and-1 in the first half. Then again, it wouldn't quite qualify as suffocating, either.

"We didn't play bad," Grant Wistrom said. "But we sure didn't do a lot to help ourselves."

In the first half, the offense made up for any mistakes with a pair of touchdown drives. There were three lead changes and neither team led by more than six points before halftime. Seattle led 14-13 after Darrell Jackson's 9-yard TD reception in the final minute of the second quarter.

And even in the second half -- when the Seahawks' offense totaled 47 yards on its first three possessions -- the defense kept Seattle close enough to have a chance to win.

The Seahawks were down six points with seven minutes left in the game and had the ball at their own 15.

On the first play of the drive, Hasselbeck was under pressure when Sean Locklear was beaten off the line of scrimmage and committed a holding penalty trying to keep the rusher off Hasselbeck.

"When I looked back, he was scrambling," said tight end Jerramy Stevens. "I knew something was off."

Hasselbeck said he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds, over the heads of his eligible receivers. Stevens and Shaun Alexander were in the area.

"It was one of those, 'Please get out of bounds. Please get out of bounds,' " Hasselbeck said of the pass.

Instead, linebacker Daryl Smith made a diving interception and Jacksonville had possession on the Seattle 15.

"You might not see another one like that all year," Holmgren said of the interception. "It was a bad one."

Seattle held Jacksonville to a field goal, but it was one more case of the defense being forced to play with a short field.

Jacksonville's average starting for drives was its own 41-yard line. That was better than Seattle's best starting point -- the Seahawks never started a drive past their own 34. Three of the Seahawks' six possessions in the second half began inside their own 20.

"You're forced to call different plays when you're backed up," Stevens said.

And that allowed the Jaguars to tee off with their pass rush.

"Once they find something that works well they continued to blitz us," guard Steve Hutchinson said.

Alexander gained 73 yards on 14 carries, but 49 of those yards were on a single drive in the second quarter.

He gained only six yards in the second half.

"Our defense did good enough for us to win," Alexander said. "And we didn't help them out at all."

GAFFES GALORE

The five Hawks turnovers:

Fumble: Josh Scobey bungles opening kickoff.

Result: Jaguars FG.

Interception: Deon Grant picks off Hasselbeck.

Result: No points.

Interception: Daryl Smith picks off Hasselbeck.

Fumble: Hasselbeck coughs up ball after vicious hit by Akin Ayodele.

Interception: Paul Spicer picks off Hasselbeck.

Result: No points.

P-I reporter Danny O'Neil can be reached at 206-448-8209 or dannyo'neil@seattlepi.com.

serotta 12.09.2005 06:28 PM

Same old same old. :-\

noggs 12.09.2005 08:35 PM

Quote:

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife!

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money’s gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...
remove the US national anthem before kick off and replace it with Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads
:-X

noggs 12.09.2005 08:37 PM

mind you it could be worse you could be a rams fan :D

imported_BigFishyBob 12.09.2005 08:45 PM

[quote author=noggs link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=90#msg289020 date=1126557442]
mind you it could be worse you could be a rams fan :D
[/quote]

lmao :D

ukhawk 13.09.2005 10:25 AM

[quote author=noggs link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=90#msg289019 date=1126557353]
Quote:

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife!

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money’s gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...
remove the US national anthem before kick off and replace it with Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads
:-X
[/quote]

Very funny ;D

KingdomeUK 13.09.2005 11:36 AM

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...59_hawk13.html

Hawks notebook: Rhodes easing back into business

By José Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — Ray Rhodes returned to work yesterday and put in a normal eight-hour day, which was good news for everyone at Seahawks team headquarters.

It's just that eight-hour days during the NFL regular season are rare, especially among coaches. But in the interest of keeping his defensive coordinator from overdoing it and possibly suffering a relapse of the dizzy spells that hospitalized him last week, Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren shortened Rhodes' work day.

Rhodes arrived around 5:45 a.m. and was to be sent home in the middle of the afternoon. Holmgren said Rhodes would watch game film and take part in game-planning meetings, but wasn't sure if he would be on the practice field tomorrow.

"The things that were bothering him are improving," Holmgren said. "We're under a little stress, and this right now is probably not the greatest thing for him to be racing around on the field, so we're just going to ease into it."

Mili still out

Tight end Itula Mili missed the Jacksonville game after checking into the hospital late last week with an intestinal blockage. He was not at the team's running and stretching session yesterday, but it appears his condition won't require surgery.

"He has to eat some things and see how that works," Holmgren said. "It all stems from when he had his appendix taken out when he was younger, and it built some scar tissue and some problems there. It's pinching. If he can get through without the surgery, it's always a better thing, according to the doctors."

Holmgren is still unsure of Mili's availability for Sunday's home opener.

The Seahawks came away from the Jacksonville game with no more than typical bumps and bruises. Offensive tackle Wayne Hunter, who has missed almost a month with a sprained right knee, could return to practice this week.

Awning irks Jags

Jaguars officials complained about the Seahawks' use of dark awnings, held together by equipment staff above the team bench, to provide shade for players from the hot Florida sun on Sunday.

But there is nothing in the NFL rules that says a team can't have artificial shade on the bench as long as it isn't too high. In fact, the Seahawks have used the awnings before, in places such as Arizona and Tampa.

"Their complaint that we received was that it was blocking the spectators' vision," Holmgren said. "It's not. We have pictures. I think they'll [the NFL] allow us to do this. I've had conversations with the league, and we believe it might be the best single thing any team can do when they play in a very [oppressive] heat situation, for the safety of the player."

Where was Warrick?

The odd man out of Seattle's receiver rotation on Sunday was Peter Warrick.

He was used at punt returner but never caught a pass. He gaffed early in the fourth quarter when he tried to return a punt from his 1-yard line, ran backward and ended up only reaching the Seattle 3.

"He so much wanted to make a play that he lost sight of where he was," said Holmgren, who then addressed Warrick's non-role on offense. "In fairness to him, let's just let him get a little more familiar with what we are doing before we put him in there a lot."

Note

• There are 1,500 tickets left for Sunday's home opener, available by calling (206) 622-HAWK.

José Miguel Romero: 206-464-2409 or jromero@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

ukhawk 13.09.2005 11:38 AM

Looks like Pathon may be signing for Green Bay

Blueboy 13.09.2005 03:48 PM

No need to panic yet guys, roll on week 2, who we got?..........oh yeah, the Falcons and Vick!!! :o :'( More heartbreak then!

imported_BigFishyBob 14.09.2005 07:42 AM

Urban has been cut which is not really much of a surprise. I for one wish him well, seemed like one of the good guys, just didn't quite have the talent!