NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Seattle Seahawks (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Seattle Seahawks Thread (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=5504)

KingdomeUK 09.01.2006 12:39 PM

Re:Seattle Seahawks Thread

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/footba...38_leve09.html

Holmgren knew Hawks were special

By JOHN LEVESQUE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER COLUMNIST

Fourteen weeks ago, on a spectacular, sunny Sunday in south-central Maryland, the Seahawks turned the corner.

They lost the football game. In overtime, no less. After coming within inches of winning the game in regulation.

But they won so much more.

Such as team confidence. And unity. And a realization they could hang with a team from the NFC East, purportedly the manliest of the conference's four divisions, which allegedly pale in the shadow of the AFC, where they say knuckles are more skinned, attitudes blacker and bluer.

The 20-17 loss to the Washington Redskins Oct. 2 was particularly noteworthy because the Seahawks weren't as despondent as you might have expected after so disheartening a loss. Granted, the Seahawks to that point weren't exactly known as a stout-hearted road team, but they came so, so close that wailing and gnashing of teeth would have seemed appropriate in the locker room.

"I am disappointed we didn't win," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged at the time, "but we still like our football team. We are going to continue to get better."

Apparently, Holmgren knew something.

A week later, the Seahawks beat the St. Louis Rams, 37-31. In St. Louis.

Since the Rams were the team the Seahawks couldn't beat in three tries last season, including the playoffs, it was nothing if not a watershed moment.

Chalk it up to that character-building loss the week before, when Josh Brown's 47-yard field-goal attempt started out looking good but curved slightly and struck the left upright of the goal post.

"Josh Brown is an outstanding kicker," Holmgren declared after the loss to the Redskins. "I told him that today. He is one of the best place-kickers, in my estimation, in the league. Unfortunately, he missed that one. But he is going to get another chance to do something really great this season, and I am sure he will make it."

Seems as if Holmgren knew something.

Three weeks later, a 50-yarder by Brown lifted the Seahawks over the Dallas Cowboys, 13-10, in one of the more improbable Seattle victories of the season.

But back to the Redskins game, or, more specifically, to what happened the next day.

"We were kind of joking a little bit," quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said on the Monday after the overtime loss at FedEx Field.

Joking? After a defeat that could have been, should have been, a Seahawks victory?

"It's 'Take It Like a Man Monday,' " Hasselbeck explained, "and you just sit in there and get criticized and coached up and take it like a man and learn from it and move on."

Easier said than done.

But Holmgren evidently knew something.

Like a bunch of teenagers who realized they'd become adults over the summer, the Seahawks did it. Won 11 games in a row, won their division, won home-field advantage in the playoffs.

And, as with any story that plays like a slightly cheesy movie script, it all comes full circle this Saturday afternoon at Qwest Field. To win their first playoff game in more years than anyone cares to remember, the Seahawks must do it against the Redskins, the team that beat them in October, but also taught them something about themselves.

It makes karmic sense, of course. So many things have fallen into place for the Seahawks this season that it's hard to deny they are the NFC team of destiny. Other teams had the debilitating injuries. Other teams lost their coaches, their stars, their composure.

Not that the Seahawks skated.

Injuries to their top two receivers would have been devastating a season or two back. But the addition of Joe Jurevicius and the maturation of Jerramy Stevens made the absences of Bobby Engram and Darrell Jackson acceptable, if not entirely enjoyable.

And what about the defense? Rookie linebackers Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill haven't made all the plays, but they've made enough to convince Holmgren that youthful exuberance is not necessarily a liability in the NFL.

And let us not forget team president Tim Ruskell. The football-savvy bookend to CEO Tod Leiweke's corporate rah-rah-rah, Ruskell has earned Holmgren's confidence, and vice versa.

The Seahawks beat the other three teams in the NFC East this season, proving, if nothing else, that they can win big on the road (Philadelphia) and they can win small at home (Dallas, New York Giants).

Victories over the Cowboys and the Giants remain the strongest ammunition in the arsenal of those who question the mettle of your 13-3 Seahawks. The Seahawks struggled in both games, and they didn't beat the Giants as much as the Giants beat themselves.

Still, with a 3-1 record against the NFC East, the Seahawks will meet the Redskins Saturday on home turf, where they haven't lost this season, with the kind of motivational impetus a screenwriter would love.

Do you think Holmgren knows something?

P-I columnist John Levesque can be reached at 206-448-8330 or johnlevesque@seattlepi.com.

Riggo 09.01.2006 12:50 PM

I don't like ariticles like that when they are written about my team, so I'm glad it was written about the seahawks.

imported_BigFishyBob 09.01.2006 01:16 PM

I hate it when they talk about "destiny" - the only thing we are destined to do is play the Redskins on Saturday.

1 game at a time, all I'm looking for is that first playoff win.

ukhawk 09.01.2006 07:11 PM

[quote author=BigFishyBob link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=495#msg396612 date=1136812617]
I hate it when they talk about "destiny" - the only thing we are destined to do is play the Redskins on Saturday.

1 game at a time, all I'm looking for is that first playoff win.
[/quote]

Agree totally

KingdomeUK 10.01.2006 08:46 AM

[quote author=Riggo link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=495#msg396580 date=1136811016]
I don't like ariticles like that when they are written about my team, so I'm glad it was written about the seahawks.
[/quote]

Fair point Riggo,

To be fair to the writer hes trying to show the 2005 version is far superior to the 2004 model.

I too agree about the destiny comment. Nothing is preordained. You have to make it happen.

GO HAWKS!!!

imported_BigFishyBob 11.01.2006 09:18 AM

Sad news!

Herald Link

Quote:

Seahawks legend passes away
Dave Brown, Seattle's all-time interceptions leader, died of a heart attack at the age of 52.

By Scott M. Johnson
Herald Writer

KIRKLAND - One of the captains of the last Seattle Seahawks team to taste postseason glory passed away suddenly Tuesday at the age of 52.

Herald file photo

Dave Brown (left), seen here with former Seahawks teammate Terry Taylor in a game against Kansas City during the 1984 season, played 11 of his 16 seasons in the NFL with Seattle.
Dave Brown, whose 11-year Seahawks career as a cornerback was highlighted by playoff wins in 1983 and 1984, died while playing basketball in Lubbock, Texas. He was an assistant football coach there with Texas Tech University.

The news saddened the few remaining employees who are still with the Seahawks organization.

"I'm totally numb," said current quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, who played with Brown for nine seasons. "It really is a shock. I talked to him while he was on the recruiting trail with Texas Tech, and there were no obvious (physical) signs of anything going wrong."

According to reports out of Lubbock, Brown died of an apparent heart attack he suffered during an afternoon pickup basketball game on campus.

Former teammate Charle Young described Brown as the kind of person who stayed in top physical shape even into his 50s. Like Zorn, Young played with Brown on the 1984 team that holds the distinction of being the last Seahawks unit to win a playoff game.

"Dave Brown was a leader," Young said Tuesday night. "Dave Brown was a family man. Dave Brown was a believer in God.

"When anyone who believes in God is lost, there is no sadness."

Seahawks vice president Gary Wright, one of the few remaining employees who have been with the organization since its inception, was also shaken by the news.

"I don't know anybody who didn't love Dave Brown," Wright said. "He was a special guy: a special player and a special person. He was a great guy to have around."

Brown is the franchise's all-time leader in interceptions (50) and also ranks among the Seahawks' top 10 in games played (159) and games started (159).

Brown was an assistant coach with the Seahawks from 1992 to '98, serving under former head coach and Everett native Dennis Erickson during most of his tenure. He started coaching Texas Tech's secondary in 2001.

"Dave lived a great life that anyone could be proud of," Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach said in a statement. "He will be missed, but we are honored to have had the opportunity to know him."

As one of the nine members of the Seahawks Ring of Honor, Brown was invited to attend a tribute at halftime of this Saturday's playoff game against the Washington Redskins. But Brown, who would have turned 53 on Monday, had already informed team officials that his travel schedule would probably have prevented him from making the trip.

According to a statement put out by Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke on Tuesday, the team will observe a moment of silence in Brown's honor before the game.

"We're going to miss him," Zorn said. "... It won't be the same without him."

KingdomeUK 11.01.2006 04:42 PM

[quote author=BigFishyBob link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=495#msg398868 date=1136971101]
Sad news!

Herald Link

Quote:

Dave Brown, Seattle's all-time interceptions leader, died of a heart attack at the age of 52.

By Scott M. Johnson
Herald Writer

KIRKLAND - One of the captains of the last Seattle Seahawks team to taste postseason glory passed away suddenly Tuesday at the age of 52.

Herald file photo

Dave Brown (left), seen here with former Seahawks teammate Terry Taylor in a game against Kansas City during the 1984 season, played 11 of his 16 seasons in the NFL with Seattle.
Dave Brown, whose 11-year Seahawks career as a cornerback was highlighted by playoff wins in 1983 and 1984, died while playing basketball in Lubbock, Texas. He was an assistant football coach there with Texas Tech University.

The news saddened the few remaining employees who are still with the Seahawks organization.

"I'm totally numb," said current quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, who played with Brown for nine seasons. "It really is a shock. I talked to him while he was on the recruiting trail with Texas Tech, and there were no obvious (physical) signs of anything going wrong."

According to reports out of Lubbock, Brown died of an apparent heart attack he suffered during an afternoon pickup basketball game on campus.

Former teammate Charle Young described Brown as the kind of person who stayed in top physical shape even into his 50s. Like Zorn, Young played with Brown on the 1984 team that holds the distinction of being the last Seahawks unit to win a playoff game.

"Dave Brown was a leader," Young said Tuesday night. "Dave Brown was a family man. Dave Brown was a believer in God.

Seahawks vice president Gary Wright, one of the few remaining employees who have been with the organization since its inception, was also shaken by the news.

"I don't know anybody who didn't love Dave Brown," Wright said. "He was a special guy: a special player and a special person. He was a great guy to have around."

Brown is the franchise's all-time leader in interceptions (50) and also ranks among the Seahawks' top 10 in games played (159) and games started (159).

Brown was an assistant coach with the Seahawks from 1992 to '98, serving under former head coach and Everett native Dennis Erickson during most of his tenure. He started coaching Texas Tech's secondary in 2001.

"Dave lived a great life that anyone could be proud of," Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach said in a statement. "He will be missed, but we are honored to have had the opportunity to know him."

As one of the nine members of the Seahawks Ring of Honor, Brown was invited to attend a tribute at halftime of this Saturday's playoff game against the Washington Redskins. But Brown, who would have turned 53 on Monday, had already informed team officials that his travel schedule would probably have prevented him from making the trip.

According to a statement put out by Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke on Tuesday, the team will observe a moment of silence in Brown's honor before the game.

[/quote]

http://www.seahawks.com/ConFiles/Con...02275_0110.jpg

RIP Dave

noggs 11.01.2006 11:42 PM

[quote author=BigFishyBob link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=495#msg396486 date=1136803888]
If I remember right about the regular season Hawks @ Skins game, we let a shed load of 3rd and long conversions in OT.

"Throw it deep all day" - withh our west coast offence we don't tend to do that much, but we do have D-Jack back to full strength and DJ Hackett has caught a couple of long passes this season. Don't think you'll see many deep balls tho.

"blitz blitz blitz" - God I do hope we try and blitz a bit more than we usually do. But again we're not a big blitzing team.

As for beating us...

I don't think you will get much joy on the ground, so I can only see you beating us if you can get the passing game together. We are playing quite deep this season, due to the fact we got beaten over the top way too much the season before. This means you may be able to pick up a lot of small gains. But we have one of the best redzone defences in the league so it's one thing getting to the 20, but another coming away with a TD.

So this goes hand in hand with giving Brunell some time in the pocket, if you don't then we will give him a rough ride.

As for stopping our O......that could be a tad trickier. You will have to load up the box to stop Shaun, which will then open up our short pasing game. With D-Jack, Engrem, JJ all starting we should be able to advance at will. Getting to Hasslebeck is a must for you guys.

But you could always put a hit out on (pro-bowler) Walt Jones, but then we have (pro-bowler) Hutch as well! ;)
[/quote]

Hang on Hang on I can hear Steve Raible as I read :D

noggs 11.01.2006 11:43 PM

[quote author=BigFishyBob link=board=1;threadid=10041;start=495#msg398868 date=1136971101]
Sad news!

Herald Link

Quote:

By Scott M. Johnson
Herald Writer

Herald file photo

[/quote]

Oh my god 52 :o

KingdomeUK 14.01.2006 12:34 PM

Its gameday & taking the temperature of the UK arm of Seahawk Nation the day will end on a positive note. ;D