NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Off-Topic - Entertainment/News (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Politics (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=49460)

Anarchy in the WV 12.02.2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatman (Post 1773003)
I'm fully aware of his 'real world' background, but this just seems surreal!

http://news.sky.com/story/1050467/st...ol-guard-posse

If you're not familiar with Sheriff Joe, he's a media attention *****. This is just a publicity stunt. He has a long list of stunts. Sending his cold case squad to Hawaii in an investigation of Obama's birthplace, bringing back work chain gangs, sending volunteers to patrol for illegal immigrants, forcing prisoners to wear pink underwear, etc.

Boatman 12.02.2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy in the WV (Post 1773316)
If you're not familiar with Sheriff Joe, he's a media attention *****. This is just a publicity stunt. He has a long list of stunts. Sending his cold case squad to Hawaii in an investigation of Obama's birthplace, bringing back work chain gangs, sending volunteers to patrol for illegal immigrants, forcing prisoners to wear pink underwear, etc.

Ah makes sense now. I wasnt aware of some of the other stuff but I had heard of the pink underwear routine. Sounds like he is heading a militia rather than a police dept.

Anarchy in the WV 13.02.2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatman (Post 1773350)
Ah makes sense now. I wasnt aware of some of the other stuff but I had heard of the pink underwear routine. Sounds like he is heading a militia rather than a police dept.

Well, policing by citizens has a long history in the US West. And most sheriffs departments everywhere have volunteer reserve officers. I used to live with a guy who did that. He would be temporarily deputized for certain events where an extra police presence was needed or requested. Stuff like art auctions, concerts, high school football games, etc. It might not be the worst idea for school safety to assign volunteer trained guards who have gone through training and extensive background checks. It's free and it would certainly make the crazies out to kill bunches of folks think twice about choosing a school. The problem with Sheriff Joe is that he's turning the proposal into a spectacle by inviting action movie stars to train the volunteers.

Substitute 13.02.2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy in the WV (Post 1773866)
It's free and it would certainly make the crazies out to kill bunches of folks think twice about choosing a school.

I don't want to sound flippant but most countries, certainly in Europe, don't have this problem without the volunteer police officers (wardens etc.).

I very much admire the USA stance on liberty, throughout all sectors of life, but the more I think about it... do policies such as volunteer law enforcement not expose and 'de-sensitise', perhaps glamorise, the populace to something we do not tend to involve ourselves in within Europe?.. Namely enforcing the rules ourselves through use of force.

Boatman 14.02.2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Substitute (Post 1774222)
I don't want to sound flippant but most countries, certainly in Europe, don't have this problem without the volunteer police officers (wardens etc.).

I very much admire the USA stance on liberty, throughout all sectors of life, but the more I think about it... do policies such as volunteer law enforcement not expose and 'de-sensitise', perhaps glamorise, the populace to something we do not tend to involve ourselves in within Europe?.. Namely enforcing the rules ourselves through use of force.

In addition to this, is it not correct that the majority of school shootings are conducted by current or formal pupils?(Genuine Q not had time to do the leg work) If so then an armed guard becomes less of a deterrent and more of an obstacle.

Csonka#39 14.02.2013 08:27 PM

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/02/14/co...6pLid%3D154568

Camden Council plans to uproot more than 750 poor families from London to cheaper locations such as Bradford and Leicester. The move will likely affect around 2,800 adults and children.

Camden currently has some of the highest rents in the country, not to mention surging childcare costs, plus a long waiting list for council housing. But Labour leader at Camden Council Sarah Hayward abhors the move.

She told Nick Ferrari at LBC Radio that scooping people out of the Capital from friends, families and schools is "absolutely a form of cleansing. We need people in London from a variety of different backgrounds and this will have a cleansing effect on many of those people in low-paid work."

"People in low-paid work will not be able to afford to live in Central London any more. That is economically illiterate. We need people in London from a variety of different backgrounds and this will have a cleansing effect on many of those people in low-paid work."

Need people from a variety of different backgrounds - has she even been into London - it cannot be more varied - and it is very much a multi cultural city with a very varied background - as for low paid workers living in central London - again does she even know the cost of rental property in London.. Whilst I do not agree with moving folks against their will - if this will seriously occur I feel she is simply playing the political card here with no real teeth to her arguments..

GiantsFan10 14.02.2013 08:33 PM

Rent control is needed in London, has been needed for a while

Anarchy in the WV 14.02.2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Of course the USA is much more violent than most of Europe. It's been that was since the beginning and will most likely be that way for my entire life. As for whether a volunteer police force contributes to that culture, I couldn't tell you.

European Bob 14.02.2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Personally I think the USA's stance on liberty is deeply flawed. In some senses there is liberty, in others it can be almost totalitarian in the way it clamps down on things it does not tolerate - and this is not necessarily government instigated. I have spent two separate Veterans' weeks in America and frankly some of the stuff I saw and heard made me extremely uncomfortable.

European Bob 14.02.2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantsFan10 (Post 1774545)
Rent control is needed in London, has been needed for a while

Totally agree with this. I have a big disdain for those who judge everything on a countrywide basis, "national interests" and all that, as if somehow within a border problems are the same everywhere and beyond that border things are completely different everywhere. Some of the biggest problems in the UK are not national at all, they are regional, and this is one of them. And the government just cannot handle it because it's lumbered dealing with things nationally. And the fact is London, and particularly central London, are completely different in very many ways from a lot of the rest of the UK (which is one of the main reasons I choose to live there). Rent is out of control. Not just rents, but treatment of tenants.

I speak as someone who is just about to be turfed out of his rented flat because the whole block has been bought by property speculators, who are kicking each set of tenants out one by one, doing up the flats and selling them on at a hefty profit. We were given 2 months' notice to get out. That couldn't happen in many European countries, where tenants get much more notice. We asked the old landlord if he would consider selling us the flat and he said no. He'd sell, but not to us. In France or Germany we'd have first right of refusal in that circumstance, in the UK nothing at all. Then the rents have gone up massively in the last few years - something else that cannot happen in many other European countries as rent rises are regulated. Central London salaries have not increased in the last year; central London rents have increased 8%. You'll get 3% on the savings in your bank account (before tax) if you're lucky. The problem is this isn't a national problem, and it isn't a national problem because London has a lot of other factors that influence rents that don't apply elsewhere. Where I live we have an influx of foreign capital coming in - if they don't live here, they're going to live in New York, Hong Kong, Paris or something like that. Moving out to Hertfordshire and commuting in isn't an option, it's central London or leave the UK.

Property laws favour the landowning classes here. Maybe they work fine elsewhere in the UK - I don't know - but in central London something is seriously broken. It doesn't help that so little of central London is inhabited anymore... back at the end of world war 2 a lot of the houses in central London were exactly that, houses. So many of them have now been turned into offices or institutions and the population is forced further out of the middle. That's a real contrast to Paris, for example, where there is so much central housing. It's becoming like America, and that's a terrible shame. I don't want to live in a city where the centre is some soulless empty space at the weekends, where no one lives as they all live non-descript suburbs, unable to even buy a pint of milk without getting in the car.

What angers me most about the rent issue is I don't think anyone will do anything about it. Tories failed, Labour failed, Tories before them failed. Boris could probably put together something to help London only, but ultimately he's got no power to do that, the laws are made at national level and frankly this is overwhelmingly London's problem.