NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Vikings (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Visiting Minnesota (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=109916)

tstb-94 13.12.2016 09:11 PM

Visiting Minnesota

I was just wondering if any fellow Vikings fans have made the trip over to the states to see the Vikings? Whether that be in Minnesota or a road game. If it was Minnesota I wanted to know what it was like, the tailgating, fans, city and all round experience.

Thanks for the replies!

GtheVike 13.12.2016 09:23 PM

I have made many a trip to see the Purple and Gold and the fact I go so often says how good I think it is.

I have a tailgate crew I socialize with (this week we are heading to a down town bar due to the cold)

The stadium is downtown and there is much to see and do - other sports available depending on the season.

tstb-94 14.12.2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtheVike (Post 2311640)
I have made many a trip to see the Purple and Gold and the fact I go so often says how good I think it is.

I have a tailgate crew I socialize with (this week we are heading to a down town bar due to the cold)

The stadium is downtown and there is much to see and do - other sports available depending on the season.

What's your usual itinerary for the trips? Do you just go to Minnesota and the game or somewhere in America then fly in to Minnesota?

As you can tell I am very interested by fans who make the trips over.

BrooksyEffect 14.12.2016 04:54 PM

I am planning to go to Minnesota myself next year. The plan is to go for two consecutive home games (schedule depending) I would also like to get a Wild game in there too.

I would ideally like to go in December when it is freezing cold :D

tstb-94 14.12.2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooksyEffect (Post 2311768)
I am planning to go to Minnesota myself next year. The plan is to go for two consecutive home games (schedule depending) I would also like to get a Wild game in there too.

I would ideally like to go in December when it is freezing cold :D

Is that a planned trip just for a Minnesota game or an America holiday with the trip squeezed in ?

GtheVike 14.12.2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstb-94 (Post 2311766)
What's your usual itinerary for the trips? Do you just go to Minnesota and the game or somewhere in America then fly in to Minnesota?

Usually it is fly out direct Saturday game Sunday and fly home direct Monday. Hotel is downtown which means no car necessary.

Occasionally I will stay out for the whole week if there are two home games in a row.

joefairs 15.12.2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtheVike (Post 2311799)
Usually it is fly out direct Saturday game Sunday and fly home direct Monday. Hotel is downtown which means no car necessary.

Occasionally I will stay out for the whole week if there are two home games in a row.

Is this from the UK? If so, how much on average does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

joefairs 15.12.2016 08:47 AM

I went to Chicago in 2014 and watched us (lose) at Soldier Field - Blair Walsh even missed a simple field goal for a true Vikings experience.....!

We (me + wife) had a weeks holiday in Chicago with a game fitted in there - it was bloody freezing but a great experience. I liked Soldier Field and thought Chicago as a city was fantastic - and going there was much cheaper than Minnesota when we were looking

GtheVike 15.12.2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joefairs (Post 2311832)
Is this from the UK? If so, how much on average does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

It is from the UK and not that cheap although cheaper in December!

CUFC_Viking 21.12.2016 11:03 AM

Go before November, if you're looking for late nights out then stay in Dinkytown (student area) rather than downtown Minneapolis, although it's not far on the tram. If you can drive then probably worth hiring a car for day at least as there's quite a lot to do outside the downtown area that isn't on the reasonably small tram network, but I was there for 4 days and apart from a trip to St Paul for hockey didn't venture outside of the downtown/U district and was absolutely fine, would've liked to have seen some of the lakes though (but it was f**king freezing). Don't know if it's a regular occurrence but my flight home changed from direct to a stopover in Detroit too, could be a scheduling thing but I suppose it could be dependent on how much demand there is for the flight, so just factor that in getting home. Paid $300 for 3 nights in the Hampton near Target Field, that's about the going rate on a game weekend for a hotel, probably cheaper hostels available though.

I was up in the Gods for the game but the view was excellent, so if you need a cheaper ticket then being up high isn't an issue, really welcoming people too.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...79&oe=58B320C2

Definitely do it, you won't regret it.