NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   NFL in the UK (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2010 Bristol AZTECS & APACHE Tryouts (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=60152)

Chaz62 15.01.2010 02:46 AM

2010 Bristol AZTECS & APACHE Tryouts

WWW.BRISTOLAZTECS.CO.UK

============================
2010 Bristol AZTECS & APACHE Tryouts
8th Annual Bristol American Football Combine
============================

Date: Saturday 23rd January 2010

Venue: Filton WISE

Address: Filton WISE Bristol Academy of Sport
New Road
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
BS34 8LP

--------------------

"Why am I invited?"
If you're recieving this invitation you have either contacted the Bristol AZTECS in recent months about joining the club, or we would like to invite you join us this season. We are a family club and have current and former players from over 10 different university teams, 5 youth teams and a multitude of players who picked up the sport with no previous experience whatsoever.

--------------------

"Who are the Bristol AZTECS?"
The AZTECS are Bristol's American Football Team who compete in the British American Football League (BAFL) Premier Division. The Adult team have been to four national finals in the last 7 years, and have reached at least the semi-finals of the playoffs in each of those 7 years.

--------------------

"Who are the Bristol APACHE?"
The APACHE are a new American Football Team within the AZTECS organisation, who have been training since early 2009. They were set up as a development team, for those athletes who weren't yet ready to compete in the Premier Division. The APACHE will be competing in BAFL Division Two in their first year. So if you're new to the game, you've tried out before and found the level at the AZTECS was too high, or have played before but not for a few years, the APACHE is a new opportunity for you!

--------------------

"What happens at these tryouts?"
The 'Bristol American Football Combine' is the annual testing day for the Bristol AZTECS and APACHE. Returning players and new recruits alike are put through their paces in a number of athletic tests and football specific drills. It is used to guage how returning players have developed over the last year, and what skills new recruits have, so the Coaching Staff can decide which position and which team is best suited to you. The Combine is 'open to all' and no previous experience of the sport is required.

--------------------

"What equipment will I need?"
All you will need is 'gym wear'. The Combine is an unkitted, non contact session. A tracksuit/shorts & trainers will be fine. A large proportion of the testing day is taking place on the WISE Indoor 3G Rubbercrumb Astroturf, and so if you do have specific Astroturf footwear as well as trainers, you may want to bring them also. We do advise against 'blades' where possible.

--------------------

"What will it cost?"
Participation in the Combine is £2 which will cover venue costs.

--------------------

"I have friends who would like to attend, can they come?"
By all means, the Combine is an open participation event, but your friends will need to register their details. Please ask them to individually email bristolaztecs@hotmail.com so we can add them to our contact database and keep them informed of any updates.

--------------------

FAQ's

'I am carrying an injury, do I still need to attend?' - Yes, we still need to see you there so we can get your registration details and you can still take part in most of Phase I (Measurables).

'The concept of a tryout scares me, should I be worried?' - No, there will be a lot of new players there, we are all in it together and its in no way an intimidating atmosphere. You will never be put in a position to fail. The purpose of the event is so the coaches know what you're athletically capable of and you're playing in the position that best suits the skills you have. The results will show you where you are currently in relation to the National Programme and NFL Player development programme, and where you need to get to, should that be one of your goals.

'I have never played American Football before....' - Don't worry about it! A lot of our new recruits have never played the game before. We have an excellent coaching staff which will give you the technique to be making pancake blocks, big hits, killer tackles and electrifying touchdowns in no time. Remember, all the current AZTECS and APACHE were in your position once too!

'Should I bring food and water?' - We advise you to bring a nutritious packed lunch, as there will be a break between the measurables section and the football skills section. Water will be provided, but we welcome you to bring your own to ensure you're always hydrated.

'Will the event be affected by the weather?' - No, the event is primarily run on our indoor astroturf facility, and so rain, snow, thunder or lightening will not get in the way of the tryouts.

'I am a University player and am currently in season with my BUAFL team' - We always schedule the Combine on a Saturday so it doesn't clash with your university team as we recognise you are 'in season'. There will be no contact drills so it wont impact your practice or game the following day. We encourage you to attend this event, so that when your university season is over we already know who you are and what you are capable of.

'I am unable to attend the tryouts on Saturday 23rd, what should I do?' - Contact us at bristolaztecs@hotmail.com and make us aware as to why. The tryouts are a compulsary session for current and new players alike, but should you seriously not be able to make the session, we will come to a solution.

'If I have an issue or a question on or before the day of the event, who should I contact?' - Contact Club Chairman Pete Jones, who can be reached on the bristolaztecs@hotmail.com email address or on 07815 736577.

YOU MUST REGISTER TO ATTEND THE COMBINE. To do so you need to send an email to bristolaztecs@hotmail.com with your name, email address and mobile phone number (if you haven't already). You also need to join the facebook event group here: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=249389079722

DIRECTIONS
----------------

WISE position for Sat Nav:
2 degrees 33 15,9'' W
51 degrees 30' 43,4'' N
BS34 8LP

From the M32:
Junction 1 M32, follow signs to Filton, through 2 sets of lights, at the first roundabout (MoD & retail) follow signs for Parkway. At the next roundabout turn left. At the following roundabout, turn left and then immediately right. Straight on across the mini roundabout and you will find the car parking after a set of lights.

From the A38:
At the Filton roundabout follow signs for the ring road (A 4174) through 3 sets of traffic lights. After the bridge turn left into New Road. Follow the signs for WISE and turn left for Filton High School. Straight across the mini roundabout and you will find the car parking after a set of lights.

From Filton College Main Site:
Follow Filton Avenue away from the A38 towards the ring road (A4174). Turn left at the set of traffic lights and through one set of traffic lights.After the bridge turn left into New Road. Follow the signs for WISE and turn left for Filton High School. Straight across the mini roundabout and you will find the car parking after a set of lights.

See you on the 23rd and welcome to the family...

The Bristol AZTECS
http://www.bristolaztecs.co.uk

Please take a moment to join our main facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...9256221&ref=ts

johnnab147 23.03.2010 11:23 AM

thanks for sharing the info

mrgo 29.03.2010 10:09 PM

Off the back of the information Chaz has posted to inform those interested in playing...

I would also say, for those not able to play, due to age, injuries, other commitments.... to come out and support the teams on game days. Bristol has 6 fully kitted teams, 2 Uni teams (Bullets & Cuda both reached post season), sports academy Pride, Aztec Juniours and 2 senior teams with Aztecs and the Apache.

Bristol is a real hub for the game in the UK and as such you have a lot of people here passionate for the sport. Aztec & Apache Gamedays are just a great opportunity to watch a very high standard of the game whilst meeting and kicking back with fellow Gridiron enthusiasts throughout the NFL offseason.