NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   2019 London Games (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   German/Japanese Football? (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=89012)

mradam83 15.03.2012 01:01 AM

German/Japanese Football?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to watch Germany or Japanese games?

I've seen a few highlights of the German bowl, and it does seem of a good standard and well supported.

Also, I understand the standard of the game is also very good in Japan but I've nor had a chance to find any examples yet.

Has anyone ever seen any games from said countries? And if so, what were your thoughts?

HolyRoller10 15.03.2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mradam83 (Post 1553874)
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to watch Germany or Japanese games?

I've seen a few highlights of the German bowl, and it does seem of a good standard and well supported.

Also, I understand the standard of the game is also very good in Japan but I've nor had a chance to find any examples yet.

Has anyone ever seen any games from said countries? And if so, what were your thoughts?

The US just won the World Championship of American Football with scores of...

61-0 over Australia
48-7 over Germany

US won the gold, Canada the silver and Japan the bronze.

Cody Hawkins was the USA QB...he was a bad college quarterback for the University of Colorado and was not drafted by the NFL.

Basically, bad college football players who won't ever play in the NFL made up the USA's roster and they still won handily.

I watched some highlights. A really good high school team in the US could play Japan and Germany competitively if not beat them.

mradam83 15.03.2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 (Post 1553877)
The US just won the World Championship of American Football with scores of...

61-0 over Australia
48-7 over Germany

US won the gold, Canada the silver and Japan the bronze.

Cody Hawkins was the USA QB...he was a bad college quarterback for the University of Colorado and was not drafted by the NFL.

Basically, bad college football players who won't ever play in the NFL made up the USA's roster and they still won handily.

I watched some highlights. A really good high school team in the US could play Japan and Germany competitively if not beat them.

Yeah, I watched the NCAA division III champions play GB Lions once and they beat the Lions something mad like 21-3.

I think though playing against higher standard teams are pretty good - similar to if say Wales got a chance to play against Spain in Footie I would imagine. It would be a battering, but a good experience for Wales.

HolyRoller10 15.03.2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mradam83 (Post 1553881)
Yeah, I watched the NCAA division III champions play GB Lions once and they beat the Lions something mad like 21-3.

I think though playing against higher standard teams are pretty good - similar to if say Wales got a chance to play against Spain in Footie I would imagine. It would be a battering, but a good experience for Wales.

It's good to have the competition but right now football is like basketball 50 years ago...things won't drastically change until you get more global leagues and kids believe they can have a future playing the sport. Once Europe got really into basketball and started their own leagues...it took off and they started producing talented players.

mradam83 15.03.2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 (Post 1553884)
It's good to have the competition but right now football is like basketball 50 years ago...things won't drastically change until you get more global leagues and kids believe they can have a future playing the sport. Once Europe got really into basketball and started their own leagues...it took off and they started producing talented players.

Good point, I remember someone on the boards here saying they're starting an initiative to bring American Football to schools - things like that will definitely help raise the standard.

HolyRoller10 15.03.2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mradam83 (Post 1553885)
Good point, I remember someone on the boards here saying they're starting an initiative to bring American Football to schools - things like that will definitely help raise the standard.

Has to happen to ever grow competitively globally...even basketball you can become good just by yourself (and that took awhile) but football needs serious infrastructure and it has to start with kids taking up the sport.

Kids in Japan have that with baseball...where the sport is religion in high schools...and they produce great baseball players.

It will always take more than fandom for American football to succeed in popularity overseas...it needs to be played by the kids to sink its teeth into a culture...until schoolyards start playing football instead of soccer it will always be a curiosity taken up by a few and played at at stagnant club level. I hope it happens...sports only get better when you can grab talent from a global pool.

yellaflow 15.03.2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mradam83 (Post 1553874)

Haven't watched any of the vids, but these channels have lots of Japanese football games:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jnetTVfootball/videos

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rtv-sports/videos

Football is gaining popularity in Japan, due in part to a manga (comic book) called Eyeshield 21:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JihQoyKRnyk

Manga is a very popular medium in Japan, read by all ages and accounting for 25% of their publishing. If I were the NFL I'd take advantage of this and commission more manga showcasing the glories of American football (with the feel-good ending being the Japanese protagonist joining an NFL team and winning the Super Bowl).

Dolphin_Akie 15.03.2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 (Post 1553887)
Has to happen to ever grow competitively globally...even basketball you can become good just by yourself (and that took awhile) but football needs serious infrastructure and it has to start with kids taking up the sport.

Kids in Japan have that with baseball...where the sport is religion in high schools...and they produce great baseball players.

It will always take more than fandom for American football to succeed in popularity overseas...it needs to be played by the kids to sink its teeth into a culture...until schoolyards start playing football instead of soccer it will always be a curiosity taken up by a few and played at at stagnant club level. I hope it happens...sports only get better when you can grab talent from a global pool.

It does need to be at that level to catch up with the Americans because of the young age they are taught Football fundamentals and the huge dedication and intensity they have to high school Football. It isn't something the rest of the world can match unless they start teaching it in schools etc as well from a younger age.

mde203 15.03.2012 01:56 PM

Germany have pretty much the best team in Europe, far better than the British team. By the end NFL Europe was made up of German and Dutch teams, and the German league remains relatively strong. The sport itself is pretty popular in Germany, you'll always hear German spoken at the International Series game, and I'd like to see a game go to Germany sometime.

Dolphin_Akie 15.03.2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mde203 (Post 1554083)
Germany have pretty much the best team in Europe, far better than the British team. By the end NFL Europe was made up of German and Dutch teams, and the German league remains relatively strong. The sport itself is pretty popular in Germany, you'll always hear German spoken at the International Series game, and I'd like to see a game go to Germany sometime.

Well the British team didn't even qualify for the World Championships so we have some catching up to do with our counterparts before we worry about USA and Canada.