NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Baltimore Ravens (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Anyone Thinking of Heading Over? (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=96444)

mikeyshaps 19.04.2013 07:58 AM

Anyone Thinking of Heading Over?

Now the schedule has been released, has anyone pencilled in any potential trips?

I'm hoping to go back for a trip and I've got 2 potential ones to think about:

Trip 1- Week 5 at Miami, Week 6 v Packers
Trip 2- Week 12 v Jets, Week 13 v Steelers (Thanksgiving)

Two potentially great trips- Trip 1 gives me some sunshine and my first Ravens road game, whereas trip 2 gives me The Steelers, and Thanksgiving. I was over at Thanksgiving in 2011 and it was awesome, getting invited to a family dinner before the 49ers game by the group I was tailgating with the prior Sunday! The big problem is in Trip 2 there's not as much scope for seeing other cities as I've been to NYC and Washington.

Sneddon11 19.04.2013 11:22 AM

Im definately heading over at some point. Just trying to work out when would be best to go. May go during the 3 game home stretch and catch 2 games but will depend on Finances...

longsnapper 19.04.2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyshaps (Post 1801015)
Now the schedule has been released, has anyone pencilled in any potential trips?

I'm hoping to go back for a trip and I've got 2 potential ones to think about:

Trip 1- Week 5 at Miami, Week 6 v Packers
Trip 2- Week 12 v Jets, Week 13 v Steelers (Thanksgiving)

Two potentially great trips- Trip 1 gives me some sunshine and my first Ravens road game, whereas trip 2 gives me The Steelers, and Thanksgiving. I was over at Thanksgiving in 2011 and it was awesome, getting invited to a family dinner before the 49ers game by the group I was tailgating with the prior Sunday! The big problem is in Trip 2 there's not as much scope for seeing other cities as I've been to NYC and Washington.

Mikey was that Tim who invited you? Tailgated with him and his people before the Browns game last year. Top man for inviting us.

Heading over for the Steelers game also. Can't wait to get back over.

mikeyshaps 19.04.2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longsnapper (Post 1801587)
Mikey was that Tim who invited you? Tailgated with him and his people before the Browns game last year. Top man for inviting us.

Heading over for the Steelers game also. Can't wait to get back over.

It was. Genuinely could not have been made more welcome. The man's a legend, and look forward to seeing him, Ricky and co next season!

It's looking more likely that At Miami/Baltimore v Green Bay is going to be my trip as my mate wants to go Miami (well somewhere with some sun!). Last time I travelled on my own and it was good, but kinda want a mate to come along with me this time! Even if travelling alone had it's benefits when I met some girls in Mother's Bar in Fed Hill after Bengals game haha!

longsnapper 20.04.2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyshaps (Post 1801613)
It was. Genuinely could not have been made more welcome. The man's a legend, and look forward to seeing him, Ricky and co next season!

It's looking more likely that At Miami/Baltimore v Green Bay is going to be my trip as my mate wants to go Miami (well somewhere with some sun!). Last time I travelled on my own and it was good, but kinda want a mate to come along with me this time! Even if travelling alone had it's benefits when I met some girls in Mother's Bar in Fed Hill after Bengals game haha!

Yeah same here. They were brilliant towards us and greeted us like old friends. Going to bring a few things over to say thanks for last time. Turned up empty handed last time :(

Got a few great photos after we were all painted up with the war paint. Tim spoke about you but didn't realise you posted on here, small world. Even smaller group of Ravens in the UK.

One thing we didn't really do was go out at night in Bal for a proper night out. Would have been pretty good but the mrs wasn't well so was just happy that she went to the Baseball and football.

Liverpool Raven 25.04.2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyshaps (Post 1801613)

Am thinking of going over this year messed it up the last time i tried

Will proberly go on my own as most of my friends are away or skint for a trip to the states

you got any tips for doing it on your own

mikeyshaps 26.04.2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool Raven (Post 1804264)
Am thinking of going over this year messed it up the last time i tried

Will proberly go on my own as most of my friends are away or skint for a trip to the states

you got any tips for doing it on your own

For flights it's worth giving Trailfinders a call, especially if you're looking to see other cities as they will be able to get you a good deal if you fly in one airport and out another. If you're not on the ravens24x7 forum, it's worth getting on it, as that's how I got in touch with some locals who invited me to tailgate with them at both games. They are also all great for recommending places to stay, places to visit etc.

Hotel wise, there's plenty to choose from around the harbour, although not that cheap. I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites one block off the harbour. Was very nice but about £70 a night which is a fair amount, however I treated myself as was in hostels in NY and DC! You'll probably be able to find somewhere cheaper.

I know travelling alone can be daunting, but I can't imagine anywhere in the world more suited to it as the people are so friendly. The bar culture also lends itself to people on their own as you can sit at any bar and strike up conversation with anyone. In NY I practically became a local in one place after 3 days! Sit at the bar on your own in a pub over here if you're not a local and you get funny looks!

What game/s you thinking of going over for?

Liverpool Raven 29.04.2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyshaps (Post 1805690)
For flights it's worth giving Trailfinders a call, especially if you're looking to see other cities as they will be able to get you a good deal if you fly in one airport and out another. If you're not on the ravens24x7 forum, it's worth getting on it, as that's how I got in touch with some locals who invited me to tailgate with them at both games. They are also all great for recommending places to stay, places to visit etc.

Hotel wise, there's plenty to choose from around the harbour, although not that cheap. I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites one block off the harbour. Was very nice but about £70 a night which is a fair amount, however I treated myself as was in hostels in NY and DC! You'll probably be able to find somewhere cheaper.

I know travelling alone can be daunting, but I can't imagine anywhere in the world more suited to it as the people are so friendly. The bar culture also lends itself to people on their own as you can sit at any bar and strike up conversation with anyone. In NY I practically became a local in one place after 3 days! Sit at the bar on your own in a pub over here if you're not a local and you get funny looks!

What game/s you thinking of going over for?

Got a few i would like to see either the Texans game in september or Greenbay in october or at a push the thanksgiving game against the Steelers but thinking that will be to expensive

longsnapper 12.05.2013 07:48 PM

Change of plan for me now. Going to be in BAL for the Jets game on the sunday then through to Washington for the MNF then back to BAL for th steelers game. Can't wait although going over myself is a little scary :D

Can't wait though :)

mikeyshaps 13.05.2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longsnapper (Post 1813845)
Change of plan for me now. Going to be in BAL for the Jets game on the sunday then through to Washington for the MNF then back to BAL for th steelers game. Can't wait although going over myself is a little scary :D

Can't wait though :)

To be honest, I may actually be over for these 2 games- My mate is balking at the cost of a trip over, and the Thanksgiving trip would be more attractive if I'm travelling alone!