NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   2019 London Games (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Guardian 'Rise of the NFL' video (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=104139)

MAXWHITTLE111 28.10.2014 07:31 PM

The Guardian 'Rise of the NFL' video
 
Hi all,

I am Max Whittle from the Guardian and am writing here to share Nat Coombs' Guardian video entitled 'Rise of the NFL' which was filmed during the Miami v Oakland game at Wembley this season. On the show the contributors include NFL UK Managing Director Alistair Kirkwood, Channel 4's Vernon Kay, Neil Reynolds of Sky Sports, Paolo Bandini of the Guardian, fans from the fan rally on Regent Street and Cameron Wake, Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and Jared Odrick of the Dolphins in the locker room following their victory.

Please leave your comments and share as much as you can so we can continue to build the NFL channel.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhAj5j-6Lk

Thank you!

dailywaffle 28.10.2014 07:51 PM

Enjoyed the video, although I would say the regular shots of cheerleaders will do little to persuade the doubters.

Cerebral Dissolution 28.10.2014 08:25 PM

Very interesting. I had no idea 90 British universities had teams. I mean, I am sure the programs are small and might get little attention, but Football teams aren't cheap. All of that equipment costs a lot of money. The fact 90 are giving it a go is pretty promising.

GET A CONFERENCE TOGETHER!

And come on the cheerleaders were on for like 10 seconds!!

LEAVE THE CHEERLEADERS ALONE YOU WILL HURT THEIR FEELINGS!!

What are the big sports the universities compete in? I mean, besides soccer style football.

BaronSamedi1980 28.10.2014 09:15 PM

So I'm in this video at 4:38

dailywaffle 28.10.2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral Dissolution (Post 2116750)
What are the big sports the universities compete in? I mean, besides soccer style football.

There are 50 inter-university sports in the UK, of which 16 have formal league structures.

The big two will be soccer and rugby, although unlike US sports universities are not the main feeders to our two largest professional participation sports.

boys101 29.10.2014 08:44 AM

A really good piece on the international series but it is about what happens next, I think by what the nfl owners and commissioner say they would like a franchise here which would still be a bit away. I would just like to know more about there plans after the current agreement for the international series ends, do they renew it in its current form or will it have a minimum about of games in it?
Last year the nfl held a referee coaching before one of the games if they could do more of this and helped more with coaching that would really help the growth of the game here.

Rogue Trooper UK 29.10.2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral Dissolution (Post 2116750)
Very interesting. I had no idea 90 British universities had teams. I mean, I am sure the programs are small and might get little attention, but Football teams aren't cheap. All of that equipment costs a lot of money. The fact 90 are giving it a go is pretty promising.

GET A CONFERENCE TOGETHER!

And come on the cheerleaders were on for like 10 seconds!!

LEAVE THE CHEERLEADERS ALONE YOU WILL HURT THEIR FEELINGS!!

What are the big sports the universities compete in? I mean, besides soccer style football.

I don't know what it is like now, but when I played 20 years ago (bloody hell, that makes me feel old), none of my equipment was supplied by the team, except for the jersey I wore for the first 2 games.
Helmet & shoulder pads I borrowed from a coach, the rest I bought myself. And when my 'own' jersey arrived, I wore that too.
There was some kit supplied by the team, but it wasn't a lot.

Greg M 29.10.2014 09:01 AM

Anyone else beginning to wonder how many human heads Cerebral Dissolution keeps in his fridge?

jonno 29.10.2014 01:13 PM

It's a nice video and I'm in complete agreement with Vernon that sustained interest in American Football needs to start at grassroots.
However I'm always surprised at how media outlets (particularly the likes of The Guardian) seem happy to create what is essentially PR puff pieces for the NFL (or 31 billionaires). 'Critics say blah but....' isn't exactly a balanced piece of content, as Orwell said 'journalism is printing what someone else does not what printed, everything else is public relations'.

dailywaffle 29.10.2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonno (Post 2116995)
It's a nice video and I'm in complete agreement with Vernon that sustained interest in American Football needs to start at grassroots.
However I'm always surprised at how media outlets (particularly the likes of The Guardian) seem happy to create what is essentially PR puff pieces for the NFL (or 31 billionaires). 'Critics say blah but....' isn't exactly a balanced piece of content, as Orwell said 'journalism is printing what someone else does not what printed, everything else is public relations'.

It is called "Rise of the NFL". I don't think it is intended to be a balanced piece of investigative journalism.


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.