NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Cardinals (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   2011 Draft is finally here (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=82068)

number58 28.04.2011 10:18 AM

2011 Draft is finally here

I have been away for a while so forgive if this has already been covered. But what direction should we go with a our first round pick tonight. Offense, Defense or Trade up/down.

But cannot wait for the first round Beers are in the fridge and ESPN is set to record for when I inevitably fall asleep before we pick.

b182dammit 28.04.2011 11:41 AM

Im feeling very excited, pretty nervious too. i still dont know what we are going to do. It all depends how it plays out before us. The rumours are Denver take Miller, though that could be done to get someone to trade up, the Bills, or Ourselves. If they do take him, the Bills could really go with Peterson, then the Bengals maybe taking Green, and where does that leave us??

If Miller is there, we take him.
If Miller has gone and Peterson is there, we take him.
If Miller and Peterson have gone and Green is there, we take him.
If they have all gone and we cant trade down, it would likely be a tight call between Tyron Smith and Gabbert. I reckon we would go with Gabbert.

Id like for us to trade down if we can. If not, then in this order, Peterson, Green, Miller.

Leaving work in 2 hours, got some cheetos and buds in, going to take them out back, throw some ball round, cant wait!!

Taylor091 28.04.2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b182dammit (Post 1346892)
Im feeling very excited, pretty nervious too. i still dont know what we are going to do. It all depends how it plays out before us. The rumours are Denver take Miller, though that could be done to get someone to trade up, the Bills, or Ourselves. If they do take him, the Bills could really go with Peterson, then the Bengals maybe taking Green, and where does that leave us??

If Miller is there, we take him.
If Miller has gone and Peterson is there, we take him.
If Miller and Peterson have gone and Green is there, we take him.
If they have all gone and we cant trade down, it would likely be a tight call between Tyron Smith and Gabbert. I reckon we would go with Gabbert.

Id like for us to trade down if we can. If not, then in this order, Peterson, Green, Miller.

Leaving work in 2 hours, got some cheetos and buds in, going to take them out back, throw some ball round, cant wait!!

Worst case scenario, but it will mean that Marcell Dareus is available and he can play any position up front in a 3-4 so would be pretty handy.

My Draft Board:

Peterson
Miller
Green
Dareus
Quinn
Gabbert

AZ 28.04.2011 04:34 PM

Miller then Gabbert for me. One of them will be there.

we shoudl then draft another 6 DE's :D

RamsAreTheBest14 29.04.2011 12:22 AM

You've got the best player in the draft IMO - you guys better not put him on Amendola against us :)

b182dammit 29.04.2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamsAreTheBest14 (Post 1347410)
You've got the best player in the draft IMO - you guys better not put him on Amendola against us :)

delighted with the pick. When we were on the clock, was unsure whether I was hoping for a trade or PP7, but as soon as I seen him on the phone, I realised what I wanted, and this was it. :)

Northern Soul 29.04.2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b182dammit (Post 1347547)
delighted with the pick. When we were on the clock, was unsure whether I was hoping for a trade or PP7, but as soon as I seen him on the phone, I realised what I wanted, and this was it. :)

over the moon here.

InfiniteRed 29.04.2011 07:58 AM

Fantastic pick, now we have a great secondary. DRC, PP, A-Dub and Kerry, tear it up!! Who do you think we'll get in the second round? Mallet? Bowers? Ayers? I'm thinking that we might end up getting Kyle Rudolph the tight end, we've been looking for one for a while and he looks very promising.

AZ 29.04.2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteRed (Post 1348077)
Fantastic pick, now we have a great secondary. DRC, PP, A-Dub and Kerry, tear it up!! Who do you think we'll get in the second round? Mallet? Bowers? Ayers? I'm thinking that we might end up getting Kyle Rudolph the tight end, we've been looking for one for a while and he looks very promising.

I would like to see us pick up a QB as the thought of the three amigos or even Bulger worries me. That said i think we have to take BPA still in the second.

Taylor091 29.04.2011 10:46 AM

Hope we get Martez Wilson to put next to Daryl Washington. Our linebackers would then go:

Porter - Washington - Wilson - Schofield

Pretty awesome if you ask me.

number58 29.04.2011 10:55 AM

So Patrick Peterson is a Cardinal, him and DRC should prove to be one of the elite NFL Corner pairings for the next decade.

As for taking a QB in the second or third round, I don't think it is a likely course now that Free Agency looks likely to begin on Monday as Whiz seems to have said from the beginning he wanted a vet rather than another rookie. Hopefully whatever happens though, DA will not be on the roster next year.

I like the look of Kyle Rudpolph, but given the number of Tight Ends we have tried over the Whiz era, he could be just be another player stat.

I would like to see some Offensive Lineman drafted, given that Deuce Lutui, Lyle Sendlein and Alan Faneca are UFA and Brandon Keith is a RFA.

Taylor091 29.04.2011 03:33 PM

Here is what I think we should do:

Trade our 2012 1st and 2011 6th (From Philly) rounders for 33rd pick

33rd : Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
38th : Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona OR Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia

69th : Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma

Ready for the abuse,but this team is ready to win now and Mallett could do that at QB.

b182dammit 29.04.2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor091 (Post 1348464)
Here is what I think we should do:

Trade our 2012 1st and 2011 6th (From Philly) rounders for 33rd pick

33rd : Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
38th : Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona OR Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia

69th : Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma

Ready for the abuse,but this team is ready to win now and Mallett could do that at QB.

38th Pick I like, throw Ayers in there too.

I like the Beal pick, but think we could pick him up later than a high 3rd round.

I hate the trade though. I do think Mallet can be successful, but im not giving up a 1st for him, no way. We might as well just trade for Kolb.

number58 29.04.2011 07:16 PM

"Here is what I think we should do:

Trade our 2012 1st and 2011 6th (From Philly) rounders for 33rd pick"

According to League sources New England cannot trade the 33rd pick but I think giving up next years first round to trade up to get Mallet would be a mistake.

As for our pick it is looking likely we are going defense again with a OLB the more likely option.

Northern Soul 29.04.2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronwolfleyfanclub (Post 1348610)
"Here is what I think we should do:

Trade our 2012 1st and 2011 6th (From Philly) rounders for 33rd pick"

According to League sources New England cannot trade the 33rd pick but I think giving up next years first round to trade up to get Mallet would be a mistake.

As for our pick it is looking likely we are going defense again with a OLB the more likely option.

I'd rather stop the Pats ending up with 3 or even 4 1st rounders next year, drafting Andrew Luck, and the NFL having to put up with them winning for another decade ;)

UKcardinalsfan 29.04.2011 10:30 PM

I have admitted before, I'm an NFL fan, I struggle to keep up with the college game, so I can only go by punditry etc.

Ryan Williams.........this guy must be serious yeah? To have timmy, beanie, hyphen and Williams is loading up a bit. Still need the line to create the holes though no matter who's holding the ball!

b182dammit 29.04.2011 10:30 PM

Well I didnt see that coming.

With Ayers and Reed on the board, Id have hoped for one of them. Not sure what to make of this.

Top needs coming into this were a pass rushing linebacker and offensive tackle. 2 rounds done, we havent addressed it :confused:

UKcardinalsfan 29.04.2011 10:31 PM

Whiz likes to preach 'best player on the board'

number58 29.04.2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b182dammit (Post 1348758)
Well I didnt see that coming.

With Ayers and Reed on the board, Id have hoped for one of them. Not sure what to make of this.

Top needs coming into this were a pass rushing linebacker and offensive tackle. 2 rounds done, we havent addressed it :confused:

Neither did I, I would have put my housemates car on us going defense and getting that edge rusher.

So who is on the bubble THT or Beanie as this guy is a lock for next years roster

UKcardinalsfan 29.04.2011 10:45 PM

There's too much in beanie to give up already. Timmy is our consistency and break man. Hyphen is the pint sized secret weapon. I haveno idea. One of the duo must become trade fodder for a qb, but were locked out again for now...............now.

I suppose the big question is, will Williams improve our run game?

b182dammit 29.04.2011 10:46 PM

The only thing I can think is we are looking at trading him or one of the other backs away for a QB. Maybe that is the plan, I hope it is.

UKcardinalsfan 29.04.2011 10:52 PM

Or considering lack of qb we won't play with one, line up a rb under centre with 2 backs lined up behind him. Whiz loves the trick play, just make it a constant state of trickery ;)

UKcardinalsfan 29.04.2011 11:03 PM

Going to sleep, but wanted to do this tonight. Nice to see so many cards again after post sb silence as normal. This is apparently my 2000th post. So, goodnight, hope I see a qb on our draft card in the morning(one that's getting positive reports......stanzi)

Max Hall to start 2011/12

InfiniteRed 30.04.2011 09:22 AM

Max Hall has done nothing much to prove he should start in 2011/2012.
Also, Marc Bulger is a good QB, I know it's not like we've already made deals with him but Marc should be the direction Arizona is looking at. He is a viable starter and a perfect back up. I think Coach Whiz would try and obtain him since he likes getting people who have previous Pro Bowl success.
I think John Skelton will play this year, he came in as the third back up and played well but had some inconsistencies. But he has experience now and he has the things that you can't teach like poise, large frame and a massive arm.
As for the pick I guess we'll wait and see, it is quite a shock to me, I was so sure that Kyle Rudolph would be coming to Arizona. He was a very highly rated running back though and I think Arizona wants a back that once he breaks past the secondary he is pretty much gone, I think we already had 3 quality backs, I will only respect coach Whiz' decision if he starts or is productive, which I don't normally do but this seemed like a strange pick to me. He could be an epic steal though.

AZ 30.04.2011 10:35 AM

Well i lasted until out 3rd rounder last night and went to bed confused as hell.

We must have some QB and LB talent lined up via FA.

Then i wake up to Doesnotfumblegate!!! All i can say is WOW. How on earth can we draft a lad so high that Whiz knows so little. He has been fed rubbish and used used that rubbish to justify the pick. The head of scouting and area scout need shot with Derek Anderson type cannon power!!

Also i assume Beanie or THT are gone...THT i guess but we have taken on another fumbler (unless you use ESPN for your only source of information?!?!?!)

UKcardinalsfan 30.04.2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteRed (Post 1349068)
Max Hall has done nothing much to prove he should start in 2011/2012.
Also, Marc Bulger is a good QB, I know it's not like we've already made deals with him but Marc should be the direction Arizona is looking at. He is a viable starter and a perfect back up. I think Coach Whiz would try and obtain him since he likes getting people who have previous Pro Bowl success.
I think John Skelton will play this year, he came in as the third back up and played well but had some inconsistencies. But he has experience now and he has the things that you can't teach like poise, large frame and a massive arm.
As for the pick I guess we'll wait and see, it is quite a shock to me, I was so sure that Kyle Rudolph would be coming to Arizona. He was a very highly rated running back though and I think Arizona wants a back that once he breaks past the secondary he is pretty much gone, I think we already had 3 quality backs, I will only respect coach Whiz' decision if he starts or is productive, which I don't normally do but this seemed like a strange pick to me. He could be an epic steal though.

Don't worry, I know hall isn't starting unless he becomes something special in the preseason and workouts. The williams pick is interesting, will be one to watch how it pans out.

I would like to think graves and whiz would be more ambitious than bulger. Unless they think Skelton is the man of the future then a short term solid qb isn't going to get us the division this or next year, whilst neither the drat pick for next year to get the future in. It would be moot move for my liking. I think Skelton will start at this point, but I think we will see some movement at qb when lockout issues hopefully get resolved.

I like the move to bring in a te in the 3rd, although arguably mallett was on the table, and like I say(my college knowledge is all but little) but Kurt likes him a lot, so seems a shame.

AZ 30.04.2011 10:40 AM

oh and a TE that whilst look like a starter for us,he can't actually block!!!

AZ 30.04.2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKcardinalsfan (Post 1349109)
Don't worry, I know hall isn't starting unless he becomes something special in the preseason and workouts. The williams pick is interesting, will be one to watch how it pans out.

I would like to think graves and whiz would be more ambitious than bulger. Unless they think Skelton is the man of the future then a short term solid qb isn't going to get us the division this or next year, whilst neither the drat pick for next year to get the future in. It would be moot move for my liking. I think Skelton will start at this point, but I think we will see some movement at qb when lockout issues hopefully get resolved.

I like the move to bring in a te in the 3rd, although arguably mallett was on the table, and like I say(my college knowledge is all but little) but Kurt likes him a lot, so seems a shame.

As i just said on another forum, the one thing i dint think i would be saying after 3 rounds is 'i hope we can get Bulger' i really dont like him but i think we are in real trouble with the 3 three amigos we have at the moment. I like all of the picks but think we should have had a LB already.

InfiniteRed 30.04.2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ (Post 1349114)
As i just said on another forum, the one thing i dint think i would be saying after 3 rounds is 'i hope we can get Bulger' i really dont like him but i think we are in real trouble with the 3 three amigos we have at the moment. I like all of the picks but think we should have had a LB already.

Why does no one like the idea of Bulger, he is a good QB, an accurate pocket passer not like DA who has no accuracy and just a cannon arm. We know that the accurate pocket passer works well with our team, Bulger is a pro bowl veteran who went there with barely and threats at WR.
Plus Skelton had shown some promise last season and now has invaluable experience coming in to 2011. Give him a good veteran and he will improve even more to become our QB of the future.

Oh and I don't know anything about Housler but we need a TE.

AZ 30.04.2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteRed (Post 1349122)
Why does no one like the idea of Bulger, he is a good QB, an accurate pocket passer not like DA who has no accuracy and just a cannon arm. We know that the accurate pocket passer works well with our team, Bulger is a pro bowl veteran who went there with barely and threats at WR.
Plus Skelton had shown some promise last season and now has invaluable experience coming in to 2011. Give him a good veteran and he will improve even more to become our QB of the future.

Oh and I don't know anything about Housler but we need a TE.

Dont get me wrong i like him more than DA and hope you right re Skelton playing with a vet. We might have found our new Freddie Jones at TE... :D

UKcardinalsfan 30.04.2011 11:17 AM

Bulger is a standing still move for me, that's why. Agree with AZ that yes, I prefer him to DA, but DA won't start..........I hope. I don't think bulger will move us much further forward than Skelton could this year. Skelton got better with reps. We all say that Fitz basically needs to decide his QB, but do you really think getting Bulger would convince Fitz it's worth hanging around for? I don't.

b182dammit 30.04.2011 01:48 PM

After a good first day, a confusing 2nd day. We could have had Ayers in the 2nd and Martinez in the 3rd, or Rudolph and Martinez :S Or Rackley who could have started.

We say we need a pass catching tight end, but we barely have any plays that get them involved!! Or a QB to throw them the ball!! Or an OL to block to allow a QB time to throw them the ball!!

I will be very angry if they are saying the 1st round pick spent on Beanie is considered a waste already! Especially seeing as we drafted a guy whose knocks are his injury concerns and his ability to keep hold of the ball...sound familiar anyone??

There are no starters left on OL in this draft, so that has gone. Maybe we could get a pass rusher to put in there in the 4th round, not likely! I assume they are very confident in Schofield making a big impact this year.

Bulger, yeh ok, he is an upgrade, if he can stay healthy, we could potentially win the division, but we need a franchise QB, thats how successful teams remain successful.

UKcardinalsfan 30.04.2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b182dammit (Post 1349192)

Bulger, yeh ok, he is an upgrade, if he can stay healthy, we could potentially win the division, but we need a franchise QB, thats how successful teams remain successful.

That's the key. Not the move for me. I would assume that this doesn't lie in the 4th or 5th round this year

InfiniteRed 30.04.2011 05:52 PM

What are Arizona doing drafting 2 RBs with 3 decent ones already?

b182dammit 30.04.2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteRed (Post 1349421)
What are Arizona doing drafting 2 RBs with 3 decent ones already?

Sherman is a FB, which we do need, just cant see why we pass on Cannon when we likely could have got Sherman in the 6th.

InfiniteRed 30.04.2011 06:20 PM

Oh I see, that makes sense, it just said RB on the list so I was confused. Thanks.
I think Acho is a great pick though, well rounded player with lots of potential.

b182dammit 30.04.2011 06:38 PM

Yeh, Im Ok with Acho, should be able to move to OLB, though he has plenty of hard work to do if he is to contribute. Very hard worker though, so you can count on him to do all he can to reach his peak. cant complain with that pick. Im hoping for Beal and Sturdivant in the 6th.

InfiniteRed 30.04.2011 07:39 PM

Nice prediction, Sturdivant in the 6th. He could be a steal, unfortunately I don't know much about him but according to the draft ratings he is pretty high up, matching with some 3rd rounders.

b182dammit 30.04.2011 08:20 PM

Yeh like the Sturdivant pick. Picked up an injury and was arrested for pot last year, but the guy has some talent. As you say a lot of 3rd round grades, he was going in the 2nd in a lot of mocks. I think Lenon can go for another year and this guy would be ready to step in alongside Washington. Like it.

I know nothing about Carter at DT, but depth on D, cant complain. Reading up, a one-year starter,as the year progressed, teams became aware of him, a superb shrine week apparently, decent value, plenty of upside.

AZ 30.04.2011 11:59 PM

Happy with todays work.

....although i know nothing about 2 of them :D