NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   NFL season (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Top 10 Most Devastating Super Bowl Losses of All-Time (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=116969)

goodkarma84 30.01.2019 07:59 AM

Top 10 Most Devastating Super Bowl Losses of All-Time

with the big one on Sunday, its time to look back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzkzOYxYUTw

Jenni Kohoutova 30.01.2019 12:26 PM

I didn't watch the clip, but I've seen more than 30 of them now, and one stands out above all others, from what I've seen. That was Seattle going down on the Malcolm Butler play. The prize was right there for Seattle. Big legacy difference between winning one, and winning two back to back. That was a huge loss, and of the ones I've seen, THE MOST DEVASTATING Sbowl loss.

ssuhaide 30.01.2019 12:49 PM

For me the 2016 Falcons. The Seahawks had already notched a Superbowl win, hurts more for those franchises trying to break their duck. There is no way the Falcons should have lost that but poor play-calling really cost them. Honorable mention to 1990 Bills who I would rank 2nd on the list.

Jegpeg2 30.01.2019 12:52 PM

Devastating can mean a lot of different things. All the games listed were close with either the outsiders winning or a final late twist.

A "devastating" loss which didn't make the top 10 was XLVIII. In a game that was reckoned to be too tight to call the Bronco's were complete destroyed 43-8, personally I think Manning never fully recovered from that.

Crash11 30.01.2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jegpeg2 (Post 2392956)
Devastating can mean a lot of different things. All the games listed were close with either the outsiders winning or a final late twist.

A "devastating" loss which didn't make the top 10 was XLVIII. In a game that was reckoned to be too tight to call the Bronco's were complete destroyed 43-8, personally I think Manning never fully recovered from that.

Agree that most associate 'devastating loss' by seconds or yards, but a loss can resonate for years, that s a true definition of devastating in this context

I'd look at Superbowl XXIII Bengals vs 49ers

Bengals go up by 3 against the 49ers with 3:16 left, with SF at their own 8. In a league still evolving in terms of rules re pass coverage the Bengals held the upper hand. One Montana drive later, the 49ers were SB champions

The Bengals struggled to recover, evolving into the Bungles with 2 winning seasons in the next 20 years

goodkarma84 30.01.2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash11 (Post 2392962)
Agree that most associate 'devastating loss' by seconds or yards, but a loss can resonate for years, that s a true definition of devastating in this context

I'd look at Superbowl XXIII Bengals vs 49ers

Bengals go up by 3 against the 49ers with 3:16 left, with SF at their own 8. In a league still evolving in terms of rules re pass coverage the Bengals held the upper hand. One Montana drive later, the 49ers were SB champions

The Bengals struggled to recover, evolving into the Bungles with 2 winning seasons in the next 20 years

yeah that was a key one that made it.

i don't recall it having any of the SBs were a team were smashed though but otherwise some good selections.

lee harris 10 30.01.2019 07:42 PM

what about games like the Steelers/Seahawks where the better team lost on the day because they got screwed over and they never got back to the big game with that squad to make amends.

also got agree the top 10 is mainly close games but surely been blown out by great defences like the Bucs/Ravens/Seahawks where you just never really get into the game and its over in the 3rd quarter must be worst than say losing to a great last minute drive.

goodkarma84 30.01.2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee harris 10 (Post 2392966)
what about games like the Steelers/Seahawks where the better team lost on the day because they got screwed over and they never got back to the big game with that squad to make amends.

also got agree the top 10 is mainly close games but surely been blown out by great defences like the Bucs/Ravens/Seahawks where you just never really get into the game and its over in the 3rd quarter must be worst than say losing to a great last minute drive.

that one was a cruel one, i think a lot of games probably come close to making it, Cards-Steelers felt like a cruel one at the time but only 10 can make the list.

not for me, although it seems odd, i would rather be destroyed on the day that lose at the death.

it would be awful to lose in that manner too but at least you know the other side was just better than you.
while losing a tight game might give you more credit it hurts so much more.

plus focuses the mind on those key moments.

djhdjh 30.01.2019 10:11 PM

Cardinals-Steelers really ought to have been on there and quite high up too.

A franchise that had very little success that looked like it was about to get its first Championship since moving to its new location (and in total since 1947) against the 5 time Super Bowl Champions, looking like it had won it in the most beautiful way possible with Larry Legend completing the greatest play-off run by a receiver with a 64 yard TD, only to be denied at the death.

Scorpion 05.02.2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhdjh (Post 2392979)
Cardinals-Steelers really ought to have been on there and quite high up too.

A franchise that had very little success that looked like it was about to get its first Championship since moving to its new location (and in total since 1947) against the 5 time Super Bowl Champions, looking like it had won it in the most beautiful way possible with Larry Legend completing the greatest play-off run by a receiver with a 64 yard TD, only to be denied at the death.

Super Bowl XLIII would be my No:1. The Cardinals basically had this won but for an impossible throw and catch. Possibly Ben Roethlisberger's finest hour as a player.

I'd put Superbowl XXXVI up there as well. I thought the officiating of this game was unusually poor with a lot of pass interference by the Patriots defense not being called. The Rams tied the game only to go down to a late field goal.