NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Tennessee Titans (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   TENNESSEE TITANS THREAD (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=7116)

bryane2 05.09.2005 11:24 AM

TENNESSEE TITANS THREAD

Well its taken long enough but here it is at last.

I'll start the ball rolling by saying i believe this year will be a lot better for the Titans than most people think. Been following new on the team during the long close season and the mood amongst the coaching staff and players seems good depite the loss of a number of free agents. Though we did lose a lot game last season the were a few possitives in that in a number of game the offence looked pretty hot and what with McNair fit and backed up by a Quality QB in Billy Volek and the addition of Adam 'pacman' Jones in the draft plus the signing of Travis Henry to share the load on the ground with Chris Brown thing look reasonably optimistic. If only we could now find a way the sort out the weak pass defending...

colts#1 05.09.2005 12:06 PM

Re:TENNESSEE TITANS THREAD

Any of you want to join the AFC South Fantasy League agfainst a few other AFC South fans? If so go over to the FF Section and look at the thread! Please Join!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Gman84 05.09.2005 03:02 PM

I think the Titans will look a bit better this year. They have players returning from injury but they are very young in some parts (receivers, defense) and it may be a learning season for them. I could see them struggling at the begining and having a good finish.

I'm very interested to see how Chows offense performs. He likes to use a two half back set a lot and I can see defenses blitzing it to make the backs pass protect. if they can overcome that, it could look real good, if not........it could get messy.

Flaming Thumbtack 05.09.2005 06:55 PM

This is all well and good, but do we honestly NEED a Titans thread? There are about 3 fans that post regularly. An AFC South thread would be better, so that we could then at least have some banter with the Colts fans! ;)

IndyUK 05.09.2005 06:58 PM

There is an AFC south thread somewhere, but it is probably buried on page 123+ :-\

Anyway if you want banter with us just use the Colts thread, you Titan losers :-*

Holywood 05.09.2005 07:14 PM

Yeah I agree Flaming thumb tack, there only seem to be 3 of us that post regularly on the board, and we dont REALLY need a titnas thread, lets just invade the colts one, after all, they are our rivals :)

I think we should have a better season than expected too, Roby, Williams, and Jones actually seem to be getting better and better, also Sirmon has returned on Defense. Im looking forward to it, I think we have a chance of finishing the season at about 8-8, but only time will tell.

bryane2 10.09.2005 12:22 PM

Your probably right about this thread cos 3 regualars is not really enough. Having thought about it 8 single threads for each division makesmore sense to me than individual club threads especaily for less well supported teams. Gonna pop over to the AFC South thread and dust off the cob webs down on page 200 now. :D

gemma_d 16.11.2005 01:44 PM

Does anyone know if Tennessee will be shown on a live game this year? The chances of us winning the vote for week 14 must be pretty well zero I'd have thought.

Flaming Thumbtack 16.11.2005 06:21 PM

[quote author=gemma_d link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg342464 date=1132148669]
Does anyone know if Tennessee will be shown on a live game this year? The chances of us winning the vote for week 14 must be pretty well zero I'd have thought.
[/quote]

Not looking likely. Titans aren't on any Sunday Night or Monday Night football, and Sky seem to be running out of weeks.

Still, it's kind of a blessing in disguise if you look at it one way... ;)

IndyUK 16.11.2005 09:13 PM

[quote author=F-Tizzle link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg342642 date=1132165288]
[quote author=gemma_d link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg342464 date=1132148669]
[/quote]

Not looking likely. Titans aren't on any Sunday Night or Monday Night football, and Sky seem to be running out of weeks.

[/quote]

A blessing in disguise for all of us!! ;)

bryane2 16.11.2005 09:14 PM

Now that was bitchy! ;D

Flaming Thumbtack 16.11.2005 09:18 PM

[quote author=Indy 500 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg342807 date=1132175580]
[quote author=F-Tizzle link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg342642 date=1132165288]
[/quote]

[/quote]

A blessing in disguise for all of us!! ;)
[/quote]

Hey, go pay your parking fines, 'Jailbird' ;)

PavlovsDog 16.11.2005 09:25 PM

Outside chance of the Titans getting on in Week 17 against the Jags, if it's a must win game for Jacksonville.

dagger668 24.11.2005 04:08 PM

Unlikely to be shown this year it seems, but at lease I was in Nashville for the mauling of Baltimore this year.

ravin raven 24.11.2005 04:14 PM

[quote author=dagger668 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg349841 date=1132848534]
Unlikely to be shown this year it seems, but at lease I was in Nashville for the mauling of Baltimore this year.
[/quote]

just remember - our starting QB was anthony wright :'(

bryane2 24.11.2005 04:16 PM

[quote author=dagger668 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=0#msg349841 date=1132848534]
[/quote]
Now thats a stroke of luck if its the only Titans game you get to this season! :D

gemma_d 04.01.2006 10:12 AM

Floyd Reese has given a very optimistic assessment for next season and the future. A few weeks ago I might have been inclined to agree with him, but now I am not so sure. What do others think?

bryane2 04.01.2006 06:07 PM

Well this season could not have been worse so next season has got to be better! :D

But seriously though i do think that there is reason for optimism in that the offense does have some quality at QB (yes i do think Billy Volek can be a good succcessor to Steve McNair) RB Any of Brown, Henry or even perhaps Peyton can do a good job there.

I know that the defence does need a lot of work perticularly as far as stopping the pass goes. Hopefully a good draft will help with that along with a decent free agent signing or two now that the Titans cap problems are over (i think!)

That's my two cents anyway for what its worth.

There is certainly no danger of Jeff Fischer getting the boot and i would not want any other coach at the helm.

Flaming Thumbtack 04.01.2006 06:46 PM

[quote author=gemma_d link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=15#msg388619 date=1136369523]
Floyd Reese has given a very optimistic assessment for next season and the future. A few weeks ago I might have been inclined to agree with him, but now I am not so sure. What do others think?
[/quote]

yes, I agree too. There is a definite sense that we are over the worst of it, and an optimism now that we will have some cap room to play with come free agency.

I disagree that the season couldn't have been worse tho TitanNut. Just look at the improvement from the defencsive line. It's gone from being a big questionmark before the season began to the strength of the defence. We just need a few pieces on defence - some OLBs who can tackle for instance - and we'll be set.

Offence for me is where the question marks linger. Both running backs failed to post 4.0 YPC averages, which is a concern. When Bennett got hurt, our pass offence suffered too. By the sounds of what Reese is saying, we'll be looking for another decent receiver in FA, which is a positive step. I really like the young guys we have at WR (Roby, Jones, Williams) but they need another year. Calico is a disappointment.

We have the potential to be a sound offense - particularly with our TEs. But we need a QB for the future - we might get lucky and have McNair for one more year but if we draft someone at QB Volek will be gone. I'm also tired of Chris Brown getting injured and limping off the field. Travis Henry didn't do a whole lot of anything either, and so a new running back would be nice.

I haven't been Pacman's biggest fan so far, but in fairness for a rookie to come in and play 15 games is at least faintly impressive. If you factor in Reynaldo Hill also starting at corner as a rookie on the same team the guys did some encouraging things, and can only get better as a tandem. Pacman is always going to get burned, because that's the way he plays, but he does give give us some big play potential too. And his returns can be breathtaking to watch. He's got a good chance of becoming a decent player - just not as good as where we drafted him.

So, all in all what I'm saying is Matt Leinart, AJ Hawk or DeAngelo Williams would be very nice thank you :)

gemma_d 05.01.2006 10:16 AM

I'm happy to be swayed by your optimism! I thought for much of the season that if we were 20% better in both offense and defense we might have finished with a winning record, but the last few games were disappointing. I agree that we have some good talent at RB, and with another experienced WR we should have a much more productive offense next year (ideally with McNair - and all the noises are good on that). Defense is more of a problem though - we had weaknesses in pretty much all areas, and a lot of work will be needed in the close season.

By the way, does anyone here follow the Nashville Kats?

bryane2 05.01.2006 07:44 PM

No. ;D

Flaming Thumbtack 05.01.2006 08:33 PM

[quote author=gemma_d link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=15#msg390039 date=1136456187]
I'm happy to be swayed by your optimism! I thought for much of the season that if we were 20% better in both offense and defense we might have finished with a winning record, but the last few games were disappointing. I agree that we have some good talent at RB, and with another experienced WR we should have a much more productive offense next year (ideally with McNair - and all the noises are good on that). Defense is more of a problem though - we had weaknesses in pretty much all areas, and a lot of work will be needed in the close season.

By the way, does anyone here follow the Nashville Kats?

[/quote]

If the Lovin' Spoonful are to be believed, they've 'been playing since they's babies!'

I try to follow the Kats. Apologies for my obscure country music reference ;)

hoppo45 10.01.2006 10:04 PM

Whats up?

Im new to the board and thought id 'get in there' with some fellow Titans fans.

Went to TN last summer and although there were no games on I visited the stadium in Nashville and also the Tennessee Vols stadium in Knoxville (massive). Even have a photo of Peyton Manning Pass :-[

Anyway....what does everybody think our prospects are for next year? What position will we focus on in the draft?

Flaming Thumbtack 10.01.2006 10:10 PM

[quote author=hoppo45 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=15#msg398623 date=1136930669]
Whats up?

Im new to the board and thought id 'get in there' with some fellow Titans fans.

Went to TN last summer and although there were no games on I visited the stadium in Nashville and also the Tennessee Vols stadium in Knoxville (massive). Even have a photo of Peyton Manning Pass :-[

Anyway....what does everybody think our prospects are for next year? What position will we focus on in the draft?
[/quote]

hey welcome hoppo - you chose to 'get in there' with the right bunch of fans here!

As to our propspects next year, I'd say that the mood is one of quiet optimism that we can get something going but that it depends on how well we do in the draft and at free agency as we do have a few holes. On the whole though, we have some young but rapidly maturing pieces that could suprise some people. That's my current take anyway. What do you think?

hoppo45 10.01.2006 11:31 PM

To be honest I haven't really had the chance to see much of the Titan's this year due to not having access to Sky anymore. Im now restricted to catching the short clips Channel 5 show every week! Its a shame we haven't had a live match on this year (to my knowledge).

My bro lives in Greeneville in TN but follows the Falcons as his girlfriend is from ATL booooooo!!!

I think a running back and corner of great ability would be good in pre-season, we can't expect McNair to keep trying to carry the team on his shoulders. Also the strength of Indy and the Jags is worrying going into next season, even the Texans might have a good running game next year!

PavlovsDog 10.01.2006 11:32 PM

[quote author=hoppo45 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=15#msg398735 date=1136935870]
To be honest I haven't really had the chance to see much of the Titan's this year due to not having access to Sky anymore. Im now restricted to catching the short clips Channel 5 show every week! Its a shame we haven't had a live match on this year (to my knowledge).

My bro lives in Greeneville in TN but follows the Falcons as his girlfriend is from ATL booooooo!!!

I think a running back and corner of great ability would be good in pre-season, we can't expect McNair to keep trying to carry the team on his shoulders. Also the strength of Indy and the Jags is worrying going into next season, even the Texans might have a good running game next year!
[/quote]

Sky didn't show a single Titans game all year, so you missed nothing by not having Sky.

hoppo45 10.01.2006 11:34 PM

[quote author=Paul32 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=15#msg398736 date=1136935936]
[quote author=hoppo45 link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=15#msg398735 date=1136935870]

[/quote]

Sky didn't show a single Titans game all year, so you missed nothing by not having Sky.
[/quote]

Cool. Usually they will talk about all teams on Sky though. I think Channel 5's coverage is fantastic and has come on leaps and bounds especially this year but when I e-mailed in about the Titans, the only thing they read out from the e-mail was that I was a 'sleeping bag-er' :(

bryane2 11.01.2006 08:06 PM

As part of the Trading syndicate in the TV Coverage forums i have all 16 Titans games from Pontel for this season so if any fellow Titans fans are interested in them message me and we can discuss.

trudders 12.01.2006 11:00 AM

with not many players leaving over free agency and the Cap been more manageable, and McNair staying, and if the younger guys on the team can develop well (specly Calico) and get rid of brown he done nothing since he been injuredthen the Titans are going to have a sound season next year and maybe even playoff bound

bryane2 12.01.2006 06:09 PM

Remember '99? Five non-winning seasons then right out of the blue a superbowl appearance so why not playoffs next year? :)

gemma_d 16.01.2006 12:47 PM

Hmmm...play-offs! I know I'm going to get a reputation as a doom and gloom merchant, but I can't honestly see us finishing ahead of either the Colts or the Jags next year...maybe 2007 though! I'll be very disappointed though if we don't finish with a winning record next season though, and still at least be in contention for a wild card place by week 10. That said, we have a pretty tough schedule next year.

We really need to make use of the cap room we have to bring some more experience into the squad. Although it's one of the areas where we do have a lot of experience, I think we could do with a couple of new LBs. I think I picked up somewhere that James Harrison of the Steelers will be a free agent next season, and I think that's the kind of player who would give us more speed and agression in defense.

As for the draft, unless we get really lucky, I don't think we should be looking for any regular rookie starters next year, but long-term a good QB is a must. For now though, I am really hoping they can come to some sort of agreement with McNair.

It was a bad year for Travis Henry, for obvious reasons, but I think he could yet prove to be an excellent aquisition (assuming he stays, of course). And I certainly wouldn't write Chris Brown off yet!

Holywood 16.01.2006 07:30 PM

We need better players in the secondary, and some kind of younger (say 3rd year), faster LB who knows how to play. We could also use a young QB, since McNair (while I love him as a player) is more or less past it by now.

gemma_d 16.01.2006 09:56 PM

I still think if he can stay fit that Steve has another 2-3 years left, at least. At his best he is still one of the best QBs in the NFL. Quite a big "if" though, unfortunately :'(

Flaming Thumbtack 16.01.2006 10:14 PM

[quote author=gemma_d link=board=1;threadid=12648;start=30#msg405686 date=1137448612]
I still think if he can stay fit that Steve has another 2-3 years left, at least. At his best he is still one of the best QBs in the NFL. Quite a big "if" though, unfortunately :'(
[/quote]

I'm thinking he has one year left and, the way the last two years have gone, maybe not a full year either. A first-rate young QB to come in and learn under him this year is a must IMO. If Leinart is available I would love him, if not maybe we could trade down for Jay Cutler. The guy I don't want is the Vince Young hype-machine, although I have a feeling that we will end up getting him.

Talking of next season, I'm hopeful that with the improvement from young players Coach Fisher will take fewer risks when on offence. The team were pretty bad on 4th down conversions last year, but that didn't stop us from going for it rather too often. The worst example I can think of was in the game when we were LEADING AT THE TIME against Seattle. I don't think the coaching staff had any confidence in the defence and felt that we needed to go for it, but after failing and giving them the short field Seattle scored what turned out to be the winning score on that drive. In fact, there were quite a few baffling calls from the Titans this year.... what do you guys think?

gemma_d 17.01.2006 03:06 PM

I don't think there's any doubt that the coaching staff felt more confident in putting the ball in McNair's hands than trusting the defense. To be fair, in the Seahawks games that was understandable. I think towards the end of the season there was a very much "what the heck" approach - and just maybe (perish the thought) the prospect of a higher draft pick might have been at the back of their minds....!

Holywood 17.01.2006 04:25 PM

Yeah.

Well our defense isnt tooooo bad.

Well it is I suppose.

Our D line is pretty good on the pass rush but we need to get better at stopping the run. Our linebackers are getting older, and the only one that seems to ever have a consistent impact on the game is Bulluck. Our secondary is just young and needs a steady veteran in there......maybe we can get someone in free agency.

gemma_d 17.01.2006 04:48 PM

If you haven't seen this, it's worth a read:

http://www.titansonline.com/news/new...php?PRKey=3564

Things seem to be moving in the direction of McNair staying on, with either Leinart or Young drafted. In that case, I'd imagine Volek will be released . Unless, the Texans trade down, it's pretty unlikely we'd get Bush (but in any case, a new QB might be a higher priority). On the other hand, you could see the Texans going for Young, and the Saints are a little QB-lite at the moment too, with Brooks out of favour...

I think it's pretty certain we'll be looking at free-agents for WR, LB and safety. Possibly RB too if Henry isn't re-signed.

Actually, the more I think about it, with the right signings, next season could be quite exciting!

bryane2 17.01.2006 06:52 PM

If only we'd lost just 2 more games then we could have Bush! ;D

Flaming Thumbtack 02.02.2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Vanden Bosch added to Pro Bowl roster

NASHVILLE, TN, Jan. 25, 2006 -- Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been added to the AFC Pro Bowl roster, replacing Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, who will not play in the game due to injury.

In his first season with the Titans after four years with the Arizona Cardinals, Vanden Bosch finished second in the AFC and fourth in the NFL with a career-high 12.5 sacks, the most sacks by a member of the Titans since Jevon Kearse recorded 14.5 sacks in 1999.

Vanden Bosch also posted 100 tackles to finish second on the team behind linebacker Keith Bulluck (150). His tackle total was the most by a franchise defensive lineman since Ray Childress and Richard Byrd each tallied over 100 tackles in 1986.

The 2006 Pro Bowl will be played Sunday, Feb. 12 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

from http://www.titansonline.com/news/***...php?PRKey=3571
For a guy who came in merely to add a veteran presence to the line to turn in a career year was sensational. Great news for Kyle - he deserves it.

gemma_d 04.02.2006 02:13 PM

Kyle was definitely one of the bright points of the season. It does show though how valuable bringing a little veteran experience into a team can be.