NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Oakland Raiders (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why the Raiders? (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=110332)

chrisredmond 12.02.2017 01:24 AM

Why the Raiders?

I have been a fan of American Football since the days when the Sunday afternoon game was broadcast live on channel 4 but have never picked a favourite team.

Why should I support your team?

Take it away
*pops popcorn*

guards1656 12.02.2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisredmond (Post 2321704)
I have been a fan of American Football since the days when the Sunday afternoon game was broadcast live on channel 4 but have never picked a favourite team.

Why should I support your team?

Take it away
*pops popcorn*

You shouldn't. You should find a team that you're drawn to and not a team that someone sells you.

UKRaider77 14.02.2017 12:57 PM

What he said, I follow the Raiders due to my mum coming home with an LA Raiders sweatshirt when I was a kid.

raidertim1 15.02.2017 07:34 PM

What they said, you should find a link to a team your own way., be it you like the colour of the jersey,you are going on holiday there, the image and history or your aunty once lived in Oakland etc. I support the raiders because my Aunty in Canada sent me a Marc Wilson ( look him up ) for Christmas in the 80s

durham_raider 16.08.2017 02:39 PM

Support the Raiders because my Uncle used to always wear Raider gear in the 90's - he followed them from the Channel 4 days and I loved the mystique of the eye patch and the shield.

He had a few football jerseys, which he gave me, there was a Bears jersey, a Dolphins jersey and a Silver & Black #77 Alzado jersey and I was taken in completely by the silver and black. Any other teams colours just don't seem right.

Genuine matchgoing fans could call that a pretty crappy reason - but I decided a long time ago when I was a kid they'd be my team and I've stuck with them, let's face it, we've had barely any glory in my lifetime so nobody can say I'm fickle :D

iffies 16.08.2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidertim1 (Post 2322099)
What they said, you should find a link to a team your own way., be it you like the colour of the jersey,you are going on holiday there, the image and history or your aunty once lived in Oakland etc. I support the raiders because my Aunty in Canada sent me a Marc Wilson ( look him up ) for Christmas in the 80s

I guess your auntie doesn't like you very much...

Ormy73 15.01.2018 06:58 PM

Back in 84 my uncle lived in LA and used to send plenty of Merchandise over. Ever since then I've been a fan.

guards1656 15.01.2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ormy73 (Post 2366981)
Back 84 my uncle lived in LA and used to send plenty of Merchandise over. Ever since then I've been a fan.

Welcome fellow Raider. That’s a pretty good reason to start following the team.

boknows34 15.01.2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ormy73 (Post 2366981)
Back 84 my uncle lived in LA and used to send plenty of Merchandise over. Ever since then I've been a fan.

Same year as the LA Olympics which I loved and the Raiders played in the same stadium I had been watching the athletics. The logo, and silver and black uniforms, also looked really cool. That's how I became a Raider.

Ormy73 15.01.2018 10:29 PM

I remember turning up to school in my Marcus Allen Raiders jersey and all my mates were saying " what the hell are you wearing". I was a bit of a laughing stock and plenty of micky taking followed.Fast forward a few years and the rise of hip hop, NWA and public enemy and all the micky takers were walking round school in raiders hats!