NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   2019 London Games (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   European Division (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=109877)

WayneF 09.12.2016 08:27 PM

European Division

Hi All

The guys at work and I have been talking and wondered about the possibility of having an expansion division based in Europe with 4 teams in different countries around Europe.

Would this increase the possibility of have a London franchise due to more teams close by increasing the NFL season by one game to accommodate the International football conference IFC.

Is there enough support in Europe to make the expansion feasible

Has this been previously talked about.

boknows34 09.12.2016 11:49 PM

Expansion beyond 32 teams only further dilutes the product and the NFL seems to agree as they've said they have no plans for expansion.

pozbaird 10.12.2016 12:14 AM

The London Mythics to be joined by the Barcelona Invisibles, the Berlin Unicorns and the Amsterdam Atlantis.

Get it sorted Goodell.

I see no obstacles to this happening. Will get Kaepernick a gig. Maybe.

BuffaloG 10.12.2016 07:47 AM

No. I think a London franchise, never mind a European divusion is further away now than in a while. The success of Mexico City shows the International Series is a transferable model.

There is no point expanding anywhere until you get a better pipeline of talent coming through, we already have a shortage of NFL standard QBs, expanding the league is pointless as you'll just add more bottom feeders with no chance of winning. You need to find a way of improving the transition of college QBs.

WayneF 10.12.2016 09:28 AM

But with the expansion why keep the resource pool to the US colleges the increase in support all bring new talent from around europe

BuffaloG 10.12.2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneF (Post 2310615)
But with the expansion why keep the resource pool to the US colleges the increase in support all bring new talent from around europe

They already do recruit from Europe. Support and feed in infrastructure are very different. The league can already recruit from Europe, as we saw in MoBo and a few less high profile players. But 1 practice squad WR does not equal a sustainable source of draft supply yet. And QB which is a more technical position would be even harder.

They are much better reviving an NFL Europe type league, maybe even partnering teams with NFL teams as a B team type concept.

Even the NBA and NHL which are much much further ahead with non US players are still reliant on US sources for the majority of players

PavlovsDog 10.12.2016 11:21 AM

It's a really poor idea in all honesty.

European Bob 10.12.2016 01:59 PM

I find this idea very underwhelming. And I'm not per se against a London franchise.

And there are European players already. They go through the US college system. Some have been first or second round picks even. Which is the way it should stay. Boehringer is an exception and he had no experience of anything remotely as good as college football. He will take a while to develop or perhaps never get there. They gave up on Lawrence Okoye.

GBPacker 10.12.2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pozbaird (Post 2310588)
The London Mythics to be joined by the Barcelona Invisibles, the Berlin Unicorns and the Amsterdam Atlantis.

Not forgetting of course the Scottish franchise, the Scotch Mist.

pozbaird 10.12.2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBPacker (Post 2310680)
Not forgetting of course the Scottish franchise, the Scotch Mist.

Ha... nice one.

I suppose talk of a Welsh franchise could dragon forever.

:p