NFL UK Forums

NFL UK Forums (https://forum.nfluk.com/index.php)
-   Off-Topic - Entertainment/News (https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Politics (https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=49460)

towen5 26.03.2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLion (Post 1119060)
If you had to pay my local taxes you would realize what this means, now you're wearing the presumptive shoes, good fit or tight around your toes.

Not only are you presuming the same for the entire forum but youre presuming the American mentality is the same as the British mentality.

You are wrong, not because of your point but because its different for every person.

I value international politics WAY above my local council and whether my bins are collected on time. I dont even care how much tax I pay, as long as its being used effectively (which demands more attention on national politics as opposed to regional).

So to me, youre completely wrong, as you were about British people not caring about 9/11

PurpleLion 26.03.2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mande!LA (Post 1119057)
quote (kwt) 1. To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source. 2. To cite or refer to for illustration or proof. 3. To repeat a brief passage or excerpt from: The saxophonist quoted a Duke Ellington melody in his solo. 4. To state (a price) for securities, goods, or services. v.intr. To give a quotation, as from a book. Just to help your english out PurpleLion ;)

Definition number one states the word another, who knows if that person did exist, that makes a difference from just copying any texts.

mande!LA 26.03.2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLion (Post 1119066)
Definition number one states the word another, who knows if that person did exist, that makes a difference from just copying any texts.

PL it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Did you even bother reading the definition or did you just pick out a word that you think you could contest and debate?

PurpleLion 26.03.2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mande!LA (Post 1119062)
So you are saying that your local taxes are more important than the health of your family? I just pressumed you were of a sane state of mind.

Money devoted to local taxes is less money for bills, health insurance and other emergencies that seem to occur at the worst time.

mande!LA 26.03.2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLion (Post 1119069)
Money devoted to local taxes is less money for bills, health insurance and other emergencies that seem to occur at the worst time.

Doesn't answer the question. You just stated a fact relevant to the impact of local taxes.

PurpleLion 26.03.2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towen5 (Post 1119064)
Not only are you presuming the same for the entire forum but youre presuming the American mentality is the same as the British mentality. You are wrong, not because of your point but because its different for every person. I value international politics WAY above my local council and whether my bins are collected on time. I dont even care how much tax I pay, as long as its being used effectively (which demands more attention on national politics as opposed to regional). So to me, youre completely wrong, as you were about British people not caring about 9/11

The local taxes in this country are paid for my city of more than 1/2 million, quite more than your average British city, then state taxes and the federal taxes.

towen5 26.03.2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLion (Post 1119075)
The local taxes in this country are paid for my city of more than 1/2 million, quite more than your average British city, then state taxes and the federal taxes.

I dont see how that would affect the fact some people care more about their nation than their city.

We were talking about British people and their view of internation events and then you bring up taxes in the US. Its not the same and you dont seem to understand that.

PurpleLion 26.03.2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mande!LA (Post 1119068)
PL it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Did you even bother reading the definition or did you just pick out a word that you think you could contest and debate?

You provided the definition, they are literal, words mean things, quotes must have a person who's attached, fictional or actual, text copying is not akin to quotations.

mande!LA 26.03.2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLion (Post 1119079)
You provided the definition, they are literal, words mean things, quotes must have a person who's attached, fictional or actual, text copying is not akin to quotations.

I provided the definition. You said it wasn't a quote. By definition it was. Therefore it is a quote. No matter how you phrase your grievances PL, it does not detract from the fact you are wrong.

towen5 26.03.2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLion (Post 1119079)

Whether you believe the bible to be fictional or not - its still a quote and youve just proved that yourself.

Its a piece of discourse and therefore can be quoted.

After a brief period of being interesting youre back to talking nonsense again.