NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Season
Thread: 2018 Season
View Single Post
Old 22.09.2018, 08:47 PM
MVP

I said a few years ago, when he was at his peak, that JJ Watt was the most overrated player in the NFL. I was shot down in flames for it, but I stand by it. And I'm a big Watt fan, let me be clear and I think he was great. But ultimately the hype he was getting just wasn't worth it for a 3-4 defensive end. The case in point was that he played lights out every single game 4-5 years ago and yet the Texans still went 2-14, losing 14 straight games. He was getting QB-like attention but a lights out QB isn't losing 14 straight games.

Continue that logic onwards, and you have to say that he isn't worth the salary he will be commanding if he is anything other than hall of fame level for the whole season. $13m base salary next season. Clowney is out of contract next season but would probably command similar if brought back. Admittedly the Texans have Watson for cheap for the next few years when other teams have to pay their starting QB a lot more, and the Texans are one of the teams with the most cap space, but when you don't have a stellar running back and your O-line is that poor is it money well spent? Maybe you can justify it for one of Watt and Clowney, but not both, and definitely not if their injuries continue.