NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Premier League Thread
View Single Post
Old 08.11.2017, 10:47 PM
GOAT

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I would, personally. I don't know how easily I could name the 20 clubs, but there is a fairly clear pecking order of 'size' of clubs. Which does not align to who is in the Premier League right now. Or maybe take certain big clubs out and into a European league.

National leagues were largely broken, a product of the 20th century unable to cope with football in the 21st century. I still feel that way. It is worst in the smaller leagues, with the result that you have teams who dominate domestically, but the small stature of their leagues mean they are not capable of competing in European competition - they're too small for Europe, too big for their domestic league. Celtic is a good example. Structurally a huge club. You see it with the fanbase, the stadium. But they are stuffed in the 21st century because they play in Scotland. Portugal, Netherlands, Greece, Turkey, Serbia... all the same thing.

If I were a big club in the smaller leagues I'd want to get out and into a European league of some sort, because the gap between the smaller national leagues and the richer ones is only going one way. Meanwhile, I dare say that apart from the bumper payday of gate receipts twice a year the rest of the leagues might be happy to get shot of those teams and actually have a chance to compete.

The thing is though that football won't reform itself unless it makes the biggest clubs more money. The big clubs in the big leagues like the current system where they dominate, they don't want to be like the New York Giants, 1-7 in a league where New York is where the money is.
so thats it the rest are locked out, does this full breakaway somehow snatch all the European places too? or is there a split?

in a open system teams place where they deserve and can make it big. in a closed system a team could just be bad forever.
there would be no draft system to even pep them up.

so to the other 72 + non-league sides, they just get to be told they dont matter?

for me it would be cutting out the heart of the game.

with a big European super league and the risk that comes from losing the current league and CL funds, then given its going to be a closed system, who gets in and left out in the cold. there are teams that havent done that well for a while but have the big name, like Milan.
does this league have some sort of cap system? it would have to be huge to stop others coming up on the rails.

while the likes of Celtic might like the idea of a break away league between those that lack depth. even the ins and outs of that league could be weird with whose in it and if they are willing to give up the Champions League.

there are those trying to push the MLS into a open system. it will likely never happen as turkeys dont tend to vote for xmas.

only so many teams can win, we have a poor GM and a bad HC, with a roster that has issues. things run on cycles and we have a more recent SB win than most sides