NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - NFL Game Pass performance - BT Vision
View Single Post
Old 09.10.2012, 11:35 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido View Post
Folks

An additional quirky thing I also found that might help some of you. I used Activity Monitor on my Apple MacBook Pro to monitor the CPU usage when Game Pass was running. Remember mine is 7 years old so CPU isn't as good as modern equivalents. I found that Game Pass over ethernet (with wifi disabled) used 80-90% of my CPU. Game Pass over wifi used 50% CPU. Incredibly, performance is better over wifi than ethernet. I know this will upset some of you techies... I can't explain it, but I can tell you that it's true and worth a try if you find your CPU is peaking using a cabled connection.

I know some people think that their performance problems are at the Game Pass end, rather than in their homes, but these 2 examples show that there are lots of little things that you can do at home that will provide an improvement. I can honestly say that Game Pass on my TV (via laptop) is now "TV quality".

I hope this helps some of you get more enjoyment from your Game Pass experience.
There are two possible reasons for this:
1) Your ethernet card is inferior to your wireless card, so it's passing jobs to the processor that it should be doing itself
2) You are actually getting lower bandwidth over the wireless, so there is not as much data to process, hence your CPU usage is lower.

I'm pretty sure that this would not be the experience of the average PC user.

Andy