NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Looking Towards The Offseason
View Single Post
Old 19.01.2016, 09:07 PM
Team Captain

Sure is going to be an interesting off-season.

I really hope we keep Marshawn Lynch, even if it’s just for one more year. I’d like to think we would let Lynch make the decision himself; if he wants to stay then great, if he wants to leave let him. I feel he can still be an asset and also still believe he’s viewed positively in the locker room. Having Thomas Rawls and Lynch’s mate Fred Jackson to take the load off is a bonus.

I can though see his trade value. It looks likely to me that the Raiders will now be staying in Oakland, so that move may be tempting for all sides. Beyond this year, the 2017 draft should be pretty deep at running back too, which may come into any decision regarding Lynch.

Both Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett should get their deals as they have both proved their worth. Especially Bennett, in my opinion his season has been awesome. Chancellor showed his value just as much when he didn’t play than when he did and that Seahawks ideal of keeping the core of this team together will hopefully see him stay. Earl Thomas should be in a good place contract-wise; didn’t we lock him up at the beginning of last season?

The O line does feel like it will be a little different next season. Of the free agents I like JR Sweezy the most so my personal opinion would be to focus on his contract. I wouldn’t say no to keeping Russell Okung either if we can, but he’s looked inconsistent to me over the last couple of years. Perhaps I’m being harsh. I’ve heard Pete Carroll say more than once that they are impressed with the rookie O linemen we signed in the 2015 draft so they may be a factor too if they are ready to step up.

It’s a difficult call at Wide Receiver, especially if it really is either/or with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. I agree Baldwin will take priority, but there’s a part of me that is leaning in Kearse’s direction; he’s had some huge games for us, made some really important catches and I think he is actually more reliable than Baldwin. A couple of things that go in favour of keeping them both - 1) They appear to enjoy playing together and work well as a tandem. 2) They both (especially Baldwin) have a certain amount of leadership on offense and have a lot of respect from the locker room, which they may not get as much of elsewhere. I really like Paul Richardson and was gutted for him when he got his injury, hope he returns to his full potential. Tyler Lockett has been great this year and with Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson at Tight End, I’m confident we have plenty of good weapons for Russell Wilson.

I think Ahtyba Rubin will stay as I don’t see him attracting much interest. Both Brandon Mebane and Bruce Irvin could go, although Irvin has recently hinted he would accept less money to re-sign. Sound like he’s taking the “I want to be appreciated” approach that Chancellor and Bennett took. Despite this approach I think Irvin is the most expendable; we can create so many problems on the outside with the likes of Bennett, Cliff Avril, Frank Clark, KJ Wright. I also like how Cassius Marsh is fitting in, he featured in every game this season and I thought he looked good. Hopefully we’ll see even more of him next season.

It isn’t an easy decision, but I would sign Jeremy Lane over DeShawn Shead if given the choice. I was really impressed with how easily Lane settled in when he returned from his injury. I agree it will be difficult to keep them both as I can see another team overpaying for either of them (Mebane and Irvin fall into this category too) like the Eagles did with Byron Maxwell. I can also see Carroll & co plucking out of nowhere a good replacement for Lane or Shead if they need to.

I hope we work as much of these out as possible as it’s such a good team all over the field. Looking forward to seeing how our draft goes too, it should all be a lot clearer by then.