NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Kirk Cousins
Thread: Kirk Cousins
View Single Post
Old 14.07.2017, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
As an interesting observation, had Mariota not been forced out of week 17 in 2016, he would have had almost identical numbers to Cousins 2015 season in every category. (The exception being accuracy vs. yards per attempt but the difference between the two rather equalises itself).

What both were gifted in those years was a very solid line in front of them. However there is a significant difference between Jackson, Garcon (both gone) and Reed to (the admittedly breaking out) Mathews, Sharpe and Delanie Walker.

(Rightly or wrongly) it may well be these types of comparisons that have kept Washington from pulling the trigger.
It terms of the "traditional stats" I agree.

However, if you have Gamepass, go watch the first four games of this season with the Titans. He's poor. doesn't really show up on the stat line, but he's poor. He was great at times too. But it's that inconsistency he needs to iron out. And not all players improve as we are often led to think they do. So he's got thing to prove.

With that said, I am not saying Mariota or Winston are bad. I like Mariota a lot. I just think we treat them differently because of how they arrived in their respective roles.

Also, while we often site offensive "weapons" as support for good/bad QB play. I'd argue having a good D, and not playing from behind is a bigger factor. I think the skins D is meh to poor. The Titans meh to good.

It all comes out in the wash I think.