NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Politics
Thread: Politics
View Single Post
Old 23.09.2009, 11:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
Possibly we are but without a look at the books and honest accountants I dont kn ow how much the NHS costs us each year in real terms. . I agree with the wars thing although we DO need our forces and weaponry etc which can only come from our taxes. .

I dont know we do pay enough or maybe I should say I dont think the right people pay enough. . High end earners etc. . I know we are billions in debt and so we have a leaky tap somewhere and yet the Government still borrowed to get us out of recession. . maybe I just dont understand but when Im broke I stop spending and make do with what i have. . radical I guess but there it is. .

We all want these services and better care and delivery but then complain when they want to tax us. . I am a realist and know it hurts but it is a necessary evil. .
NHS spending is approximately 8.5% of GDP. Even for someone like myself who's a "if it's not nailed down it's best left in the hands of the market" libertarian I have to conclude it works remarkably well, although that's not to say that there isn't any waste and efficiency. We're about 13th in the world in terms of health spending per head (from all sources) and 13th in outcome. It's the adminstration side that is shockingly cheap - I was genuinely taken aback - it's amazing how much having to bill people costs in systems not free at the point of use.

If you got rid of the waste, at some points incompetence (I've just had a very bad time dealing with the NHS where they sent some wrong patient records causing many problems) and over-management it could be a truly excellent system, rather than the merely good one it is at the present. You must remember however, that it's only possible because we vastly underpay medical staff.

Last edited by Lagunium; 23.09.2009 at 11:11 PM.