NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Okay let's talk about Tony Romo
View Single Post
Old 10.10.2011, 08:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkinho View Post
I think Romo is definitely a top 10 QB and part of his inconsistency over the last year or so can probably be put down to the O-line and problems establishing a strong running game. The polarised press reports would not exist if he wasn't playing for one of the "big market" teams. To a degree the headlines are just lazy journalism - it is easy to blame the QB (especially when he is turning the ball over!) rather than look more deeply at the reasons that things are happening.

With regards to drafting a QB... Kitna is decent back-up but clearly not a long term replacement and to be honest, I don't have a firm opinion about McGee's long term viability. There are some very good QB's at college level at the moment and if a deal whereby one of the better QB's could be acquired fell into Jerry Jones' lap then of course he should take it to start working on a post-Romo future whenever that may be. That said, I don't see a pressing need to replace Romo and the sensible option is to get behind him for the next few years and concentrate on the O-line and secondary.

Don't forget it is Jason Garrett's first full year in charge, Rob Ryan is new to the team and there was a restricted pre-season. Under these circumstances blaming everything on Romo can only be a knee jerk reaction. Give all of these components a chance to come together before making a firm judgement.
Great post. I pretty much agree with all of it.

With regard the picking a QB theory, just have to look at the Eagles or the Packers when they had Favre. Having a franchise QB shouldn't be a reason not to spend a high draft pick on one as you can get great value for them down the line. If we draft one and Romo improves then you have an extremely nice headache and possible trade gold................................Its a shame our GM doesn't think like this, even though he is quite prepared to mortgage the house on a average WR.