NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - European League discussion (La Liga, Ligue 1 etc)
View Single Post
Old 13.07.2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
but as far as i can tell wasnt that mainly down to United slowly building a side and having a foundation based on youth?

i have no problem with sensible investment but City/Chelsea really just bought the title, by spending silly sums and on silly wages.

without large spending alot of those seasons were very close (although united did win a couple by large margains.)
Everybody buys the title. You don't buy players that make you lose!

If United were so special why did they spend 30 million on Rio, 27 million on Rooney, 30 million on Berbatov, they bought Valencia for 16 million and Ashley Young for the stupid price they paid for an insanely right footed left winger? And before then, they spent on Ince, Poborsky, Cantona, etc.

Chelsea and Man City spent to compete and everybody who says it upset the status quo is right.

I'm a Chelsea fan, and with the exception of Torres and David Luiz for a combined 75 million we haven't spent over 50 million in one transfer window since summer 2005, and I always make the point that our sides that won the double in 2009-10 and the Champions League and FA Cup last season were players that had been playing together for 6-7 seasons already. I admit our first title my have been "bought" rather than built but everybody does it and if your club went the same way if it was bought by a "suger daddy" you wouldn't be attacking the "new money clubs".

And the whole balancing the books thing is silly. The first thing Roman did when he took over was wipe the slate clean, so whilst we've been spending we've never been in debt.

It's clubs like Man United, Barcelona and Real Madrid that anger me. They are all in 100s of millions in debt and continue to spend and spend.

At least Chelsea, Man City, PSG and Malaga have no debt.