Problems start at the top - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.02.2010, 12:31 AM
Blob259er's Avatar
Blob259er Blob259er is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 09.06.2009
Posts: 92
Default Problems start at the top

I feel that the problems with the bears are even bigger than jerry angelo and Lovie. I think the main problems are Ted Phillips and Virgina Mckasky. I dont think they allow Jerry and Lovie to do there thing because they are always restricting how much they spend making them trade down (not always a bad thing) or not be able to sign free agents. Which is greedy because the bears make boatloads of revenue. Im not saying I would like a new owner because i love the fact that the bears have always been with one family Halas/McKasky. But I think what they need is kinda what happened with the chicago blackhawks(NHL) when the kid took over for the old man and completely changed the culture of the team
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01.03.2010, 10:29 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob259er View Post
I feel that the problems with the bears are even bigger than jerry angelo and Lovie. I think the main problems are Ted Phillips and Virgina Mckasky. I dont think they allow Jerry and Lovie to do there thing because they are always restricting how much they spend making them trade down (not always a bad thing) or not be able to sign free agents. Which is greedy because the bears make boatloads of revenue. Im not saying I would like a new owner because i love the fact that the bears have always been with one family Halas/McKasky. But I think what they need is kinda what happened with the chicago blackhawks(NHL) when the kid took over for the old man and completely changed the culture of the team
the Bears spend when they have to spend we are not tight or anything like that. I think people get too caught up in what is happening lately. Chicago were near the top in terms of cap spending last season I think 5th highest in the NFL. That is not cheap it is simply that we have money tied up in Urlacher, Harris, Cutler, Briggs.

On top of that Chicago do things the right way imo, similar to the Packers and the Steelers we try to build via the draft and limit the huge contract we dish out in FA. From time to time I think we have passed on opportunities which would have helped us but I would rather us be like that than like Washington who regularly throw money at players only to fail. When I look around the NFL I see most of the top teams as being quite conservative in FA, teams like Indy are another example.

The major difference is that we have not had a good QB. I think we have right now but there are flaws on the team or lack of experience that need to be fixed. It is important to note that this ethic took us to a Superbowl in 2006 and our worst season under Smith has been 7-9 which is really not tooo bad for a guy under pressure like he now is.

We have every chance to compete for the division next year if we make one or two decent moves - I think we will.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.03.2010, 10:36 PM
Blob259er's Avatar
Blob259er Blob259er is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 09.06.2009
Posts: 92
Default

well i just think if management is going to raise season ticket prices every year the better be putting a better product out on the field and stop settling for mediocrity. And they are one of the more historically cheap teams for example if they weren't cheap lovie and jerry Angelo wouldn't have jobs right now. I might read to much of the sports page but we need a breath of fresh air. And i do think we can be competitive next year but not with those two bimbos making calls they couldnt recognize talent if it hit them in the face
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.03.2010, 09:46 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

The Bears have showed a willingness to make moves and pay guys so I'm afraid I don't get what you mean. Only one season ago we were involved in the biggest trade in the league in recent memory and we beat off numerous teams to acquire Cutler. Not only that we made him one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL by renewing his contract so I do not see what you mean. We also paid big money in the past for guys like Mushin Muhammed who had been excellent in Carolina, not to mention John Tait or Adwele Ogunleye. We were also bold in going after Gaines Adams...

I think Chicago has been willing to spend and I also think that Lovie has not done a bad job. I think a bad year next year would prove it is time for a change after two seasons with a top QB. However, I do not feel he deserved to be fired this summer and I think he is overall a good coach. It is easy to blame the HC when things do not go well but the truth is we have had some bad luck (Urlacher going down, Cutler struggling, Adams Dying, Williams' injury stunting his progress, Harris' sudden decline) that no HC can account for, some poor calls on and off the field (trading 2nd for Adams, Signing Omiyale, Signing Pace, Signing Tinoisamoa, relying on just Forte to rush) and some guys not playing as well as they should have (Briggs, Anderson, Harrison, Ogunleye, Cutler, Olsen) so I see it as a mix of issues.

We could use a few additions there is no question about that with DE, LG, and FS particular needs but we have enough talent to be competitive it is just up to the players to show they want it enough.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.03.2010, 01:33 PM
flea's Avatar
flea flea is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.04.2005
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob259er View Post
well i just think if management is going to raise season ticket prices every year the better be putting a better product out on the field and stop settling for mediocrity. And they are one of the more historically cheap teams for example if they weren't cheap lovie and jerry Angelo wouldn't have jobs right now. I might read to much of the sports page but we need a breath of fresh air. And i do think we can be competitive next year but not with those two bimbos making calls they couldnt recognize talent if it hit them in the face


They havn't raised prices every year they rose them this year after holding off last year
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.03.2010, 01:41 AM
bearbasemeant's Avatar
bearbasemeant bearbasemeant is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 04.09.2009
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
The Bears have showed a willingness to make moves and pay guys so I'm afraid I don't get what you mean. Only one season ago we were involved in the biggest trade in the league in recent memory and we beat off numerous teams to acquire Cutler. Not only that we made him one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL by renewing his contract so I do not see what you mean. We also paid big money in the past for guys like Mushin Muhammed who had been excellent in Carolina, not to mention John Tait or Adwele Ogunleye. We were also bold in going after Gaines Adams...

I think Chicago has been willing to spend and I also think that Lovie has not done a bad job. I think a bad year next year would prove it is time for a change after two seasons with a top QB. However, I do not feel he deserved to be fired this summer and I think he is overall a good coach. It is easy to blame the HC when things do not go well but the truth is we have had some bad luck (Urlacher going down, Cutler struggling, Adams Dying, Williams' injury stunting his progress, Harris' sudden decline) that no HC can account for, some poor calls on and off the field (trading 2nd for Adams, Signing Omiyale, Signing Pace, Signing Tinoisamoa, relying on just Forte to rush) and some guys not playing as well as they should have (Briggs, Anderson, Harrison, Ogunleye, Cutler, Olsen) so I see it as a mix of issues.

We could use a few additions there is no question about that with DE, LG, and FS particular needs but we have enough talent to be competitive it is just up to the players to show they want it enough.
I agree about Lovie being a decent coach and has been unlucky but Gaines Adams trade and death has nothing to do with Lovie's performance as a coach. I dont think Tommie Harris has nearly as bad as people make out. As for players not playing well...well yes but ultimately that comes down to the coach I'm sorry. The Bears looked rudderless in certain games this year. Angelo and Smith deserve plenty of blame for letting the WR corps go to crap.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 10:57 PM.