NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Buffalo Bills

Sponsored Links

Old 28.02.2013, 12:09 AM
Pro Bowler

Default Kelsay Retires

Shocked at this, but he must of known he was to be cut

From buffalo Bills website

Defensive end Chris Kelsay has said for years that he wanted to spend his entire playing career with the Buffalo Bills. On Wednesday he made sure that would be the case. After 10 years with the club Kelsay announced his retirement Wednesday.

“Chris has been the consummate professional throughout his career and we will miss him," said general manager Buddy Nix. "He always gave 100 percent, regardless of the situation and regardless of the score. He did everything with class and was an excellent team leader. Everyone in our organization from the players to the coaches to the front office personnel have the utmost respect for Chris. I know he will be successful in whatever he chooses to do next and I speak for everyone at One Bills Drive when I say that we wish him and his family nothing but the best.”

“I want to thank Mr. Wilson for the opportunity he gave me 10 years ago to be a Buffalo Bill,” said Kelsay. “One of my goals was to finish my career with the team that drafted me and that came to fruition. I feel very blessed to say that.”

“The Buffalo Bills’ fans are the best in the NFL. Having played in every NFL stadium over my 10 years, there are no other fans like the ones we play in front of at the Ralph. It’s inspiring, it’s emotional and it’s exciting every moment you step on the field,” Kelsay continued.

“Your teammates are a big reason why you do this. Being around long enough you establish a lot of lifelong relationships, not just in the locker room but around the building. That’s something I’ll carry with me and cherish for the rest of my life.”

Kelsay appeared in 147 games for the Bills since the time the club made him a second-round draft choice in 2003. That ranks 16th most in team history. The defensive end stands ninth on the team’s all-time sack list with 32.5 in his career. Kelsay also ranks eighth in team history in forced fumbles with eight and is tied for first in team annals in career safeties with two along with Ron McDole.

The Nebraska product was a locker room leader for the defense and remarkably durable throughout his career. After missing just three games in his first eight seasons, Kelsay missed 11 total in 2011 and 2012. After sustaining a torn ligament in his neck in the middle of last season he was eventually placed on injured reserve for the last four weeks of the year.

One of the more notable highlights of Kelsay’s career came in the home Monday night game against Dallas in 2007 when Kelsay tipped a Tony Romo pass in the air to himself for an interception return for a touchdown.

In retirement the 32-year old will return to his native Nebraska with his wife Natalie and three children.
Sponsored Links
Old 28.02.2013, 01:51 PM
Pro Bowler

Sad news but I wish him the very best. It's exciting that the Bills are rebuilding but by the same token we also need to make sure we can replace these locker room leaders as they offer intangible qualities that help knit the team together.
Old 28.02.2013, 04:50 PM
MVP

I’m mixed on him I respected him as a top class professional but never feel like the Bills got close value for money.

Rarely given praise by the Bills home crowd probably one of the most criticised player outside the QB position. He did some of his best work making what looked like an impossible transition to a 34 LB playing the new position pretty well. All ways hard working kept his head down never a star but a loyal servant to the Bills cause. Have to look at his career as a disappointment with his potential the duo of him and Aaron Schobel should have been dominate with their ability. Kelsay never got more than 5.5 sacks in a seasons starting with the amount of snaps he took the production should have been better. Bills haven’t sniffed the playoffs since 99 he was part of the problem (albeit a smaller problem than some of the other glaring issues).
Old 05.03.2013, 11:32 PM
Pro Bowler

First Kelsay and now Shawne Merriman has announced his retirement from the NFL on his offical website http://www.shawnemerriman.com/
Old 06.03.2013, 09:38 PM
Pro Bowler

I think it would be fair to say that the Bills never saw the best of Merriman. I can't say I'm too disheartened to hear this news - onwards and upwards!
Old 07.03.2013, 11:02 AM
MVP

A collective shrug he pretty much retiered the moment he got cut by the Chargers. After the steriod thing and the Titans putting a bounty on him his career never recovered. Was hoping for more from him I was quite stoked when he signed to Buffalo but never got to 1% in Buffalo of his prime. To his credit his was said to be a good locker room guy and put the effort in with the fans media.