Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 07.02.2016, 07:55 PM
Starter

Give me Wonderboy vs Lawler right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 20.02.2016, 10:57 AM
Starter

What an embarrassing spectacle the Kimbo v dada fight was. Two steroid infused street fighters falling and windmill punching inside the octagon. Aside from a few top fighters mma it appears is beginning to show signs of the struggles other combat sports endure.
Old 20.02.2016, 11:14 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmacca35 View Post
What an embarrassing spectacle the Kimbo v dada fight was. Two steroid infused street fighters falling and windmill punching inside the octagon. Aside from a few top fighters mma it appears is beginning to show signs of the struggles other combat sports endure.
It reached saturation point a while back for me. In the past I watched most of the events that were televised, but now I struggle to keep up and to be honest I'm not exactly too bothered if I miss them.

It's inevitable that an increase in quantity results in a reduction in quality. Just watched the highlights of the Bellator farce. As you say 2 street fighters and then 2 guys living off their past when they should have retired permanently 10+ years ago. Unfortunately people's morbid curiosity will always deliver some kind of rating.
Old 20.02.2016, 11:15 AM
GOAT

Quote:
UFC is like the NFL, the rest dont really matter tbh.

i havent watched much of Bellator at all but given Kimbos previous fight, you can see the sort of place they live in.
Old 20.02.2016, 08:58 PM
Starter

Quote:
What in god's name are you talking about? That was a titanic war that people will look back on in 10 years time as having had the kind of impact for Bellator that the Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar fight had for the UFC.

In all seriousness though, MMA outside of the UFC should be taken for what it is: freakshows, bums and prospects.

I disagree that there are only a few notable fighters out there. There are dozens of fighters who cause me to become like a giddy little child at christmas when a fight of theirs gets announced, but who most average fans may not be aware of. For example I almost wet my pants when Edson Barboza vs Anthony Pettis was announced. Same thing with Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson, and Amanda Nunes vs Valentina Shevchenko...the list goes on. The UFC could probably do a better job of promoting them to make them more recognisable, but the problem with that is that then they might become too big like Mcgregor has, and start taking silly money from them like the 15-20 million Mcgregor will make at UFC 196.

Also I think other large/ish MMA promotions don't use an octagon because it's become so closely connected with the UFC, and according to wikipedia the UFC has legal rights to the name 'The Octagon'.

edit: And right as I post this I see on twitter that DADA 5000 was in a critical condition last night after the fight. So this goes from a laughable joke of an event, to one that could have the potential to be quite damaging for the sport as a whole.

Last edited by mattn94; 20.02.2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 20.02.2016, 10:43 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn94 View Post
What in god's name are you talking about? That was a titanic war that people will look back on in 10 years time as having had the kind of impact for Bellator that the Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar fight had for the UFC.

In all seriousness though, MMA outside of the UFC should be taken for what it is: freakshows, bums and prospects.

I disagree that there are only a few notable fighters out there. There are dozens of fighters who cause me to become like a giddy little child at christmas when a fight of theirs gets announced, but who most average fans may not be aware of. For example I almost wet my pants when Edson Barboza vs Anthony Pettis was announced. Same thing with Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson, and Amanda Nunes vs Valentina Shevchenko...the list goes on. The UFC could probably do a better job of promoting them to make them more recognisable, but the problem with that is that then they might become too big like Mcgregor has, and start taking silly money from them like the 15-20 million Mcgregor will make at UFC 196.

Also I think other large/ish MMA promotions don't use an octagon because it's become so closely connected with the UFC, and according to wikipedia the UFC has legal rights to the name 'The Octagon'.

edit: And right as I post this I see on twitter that DADA 5000 was in a critical condition last night after the fight. So this goes from a laughable joke of an event, to one that could have the potential to be quite damaging for the sport as a whole.
It's is reported as renal failure. It is believed heavy steroid use can be a cause of this. I think mma has a massive drug problem and we are turning a blind eye to it as well as the damage to the brain. Coleman frye goodridge are showing clear signs of dementia pugilistia
Old 20.02.2016, 10:54 PM
All Pro

Quote:
It's is reported as renal failure. It is believed heavy steroid use can be a cause of this. I think mma has a massive drug problem and we are turning a blind eye to it as well as the damage to the brain. Coleman frye goodridge are showing clear signs of dementia pugilistia
(Not that I'm saying it isn't from/part of from drug use but) renal failure can come from ridiculous weight loss right before a fight. Without sufficient water in a person's system, the body can suffer toxin poisoning. If there is truth in the rumour that he needed to lose 40 lbs from 14 days ago, then there is a very good chance that this could be the/part of the cause.

I'm waiting for the CTE scandal to hit this sport.
Old 21.02.2016, 12:01 AM
Starter

Quote:
The UFC now has USADA do their drug testing, every fighter on the roster is now subject to random out of competition testing as well as the standard in competition testing. What more can they do at this point?

With the head trauma, it's an inevitable consequence of getting punched in the head for a living. However I've heard plenty of people talk about how most gyms have been reducing the amount of hard sparring they've been doing for years for this exact reason. For every Don Frye and Gray Maynard there are guys like Bas Rutten, who are in their 50s and fine mentally, I was listening to a podcast with him on recently talking about pretty much this exact thing, and he was saying the reason he's come out of fighting with all his mental faculties intact is because he did so little hard sparring in his career, so he hardly ever got hit in the head in training, and then he was also a competent striker, so never really got hit that much in competition either.
He also competed in an era where many of his fights were without gloves. There's a good argument to be made that all combat sports would be safer if gloves were eliminated, because the number of head strikes would go down drastically. It'd never happen though because the image of bare knuckle brawling is exactly what most MMA promotions have been trying to get away from for the last decade or so.

The bigger problem with MMA, as is mentioned below, is weight cutting. Literally every MMA fighter cuts weight the week of the fight, but it's massively unhealthy even if done correctly (correctly used loosely because you probably shouldn't do it at all) this DADA 5000 fella has probably cut a seriously unhealthy amount. It'd take a massive organised effort to get everyone to fight at their natural weight, but it needs to happen.
Old 21.02.2016, 12:09 AM
All Pro

Recently several authorities have argued for the 'within reason' rule which would mean fighters are weighed 1 month, 2 weeks and 1 week before their final weigh in. Fighters would be required to make a certain weight at each of these points or the fight would be off.

The obvious disadvantage would be that some stupid fighters might try and drain themselves for each date, which has its own health dangers, but it would almost certainly kill their cardio as well. It should encourage gentle weight loss without penalising too many fighters 'inbetween' fighters which would be the disadvantage of the natural weight approach.
Old 21.02.2016, 12:09 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn94 View Post
The UFC now has USADA do their drug testing, every fighter on the roster is now subject to random out of competition testing as well as the standard in competition testing. What more can they do at this point?

With the head trauma, it's an inevitable consequence of getting punched in the head for a living. However I've heard plenty of people talk about how most gyms have been reducing the amount of hard sparring they've been doing for years for this exact reason. For every Don Frye and Gray Maynard there are guys like Bas Rutten, who are in their 50s and fine mentally, I was listening to a podcast with him on recently talking about pretty much this exact thing, and he was saying the reason he's come out of fighting with all his mental faculties intact is because he did so little hard sparring in his career, so he hardly ever got hit in the head in training, and then he was also a competent striker, so never really got hit that much in competition either.
He also competed in an era where many of his fights were without gloves. There's a good argument to be made that all combat sports would be safer if gloves were eliminated, because the number of head strikes would go down drastically. It'd never happen though because the image of bare knuckle brawling is exactly what most MMA promotions have been trying to get away from for the last decade or so.

The bigger problem with MMA, as is mentioned below, is weight cutting. Literally every MMA fighter cuts weight the week of the fight, but it's massively unhealthy even if done correctly (correctly used loosely because you probably shouldn't do it at all) this DADA 5000 fella has probably cut a seriously unhealthy amount. It'd take a massive organised effort to get everyone to fight at their natural weight, but it needs to happen.
Why would a heavyweight need to cut weight