Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 21.04.2016, 03:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
LOL - Is this UFC or WWE.....

Non-Retirement retirements bug me...

To be fair without UFC Connor wouldn't have made that money elsewhere... not sure they owe him anymore than he owes them in that respect.
Yeah, the who owes who thing is a bit weird.

Basically he doesn't want to lose again, so he wants to give preparation 100%. In some ways I wish the UFC would grant him what he wants, then if he loses there are no excuses and he can go back down and fight Aldo/Edgar.
Sponsored Links
Old 21.04.2016, 03:30 PM
GOAT

tbf was there anything more than a random tweet, which was a hint more that a 100% declaration.

it seems Dana, foolishly, kicked him off the card for not wanting to mess up his camp, then he tweeted and watched the chaos.
maybe i'm giving him a tad too much credit but maybe it was also to show the impact one tweet can have in comparison to a press conference.

i agree with RC, Connor has made them money and could be given a bit of leeway.

on another note the UFC really needs to stop misusing interim belts, what was wrong with have Edgar-Aldo as a no.1 contenders match.

Last edited by goodkarma84; 21.04.2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 21.04.2016, 03:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
tbf was there anything more than a random tweet, which was a hint more that a 100% declaration.

it seems Dana, foolishly, kicked him off the card for not wanting to mess up his camp, then he tweeted and watched the chaos.
maybe i'm giving him a tad too much credit but maybe it was also to show the impact one tweet can have in comparison to a press conference.

i agree with RC, Connor has made them money and could be given a bit of leeway.

on another note the UFC really needs to stop misusing interim belts, what was wrong with have Edgar-Aldo as a no.1 contenders match.
Is Aldo v Edgar for an interim belt? If it is then I agree, no need for that. Interim belts are pointless unless the Champion is shelved for a long time. Tbh, if a Champion is injured for a prolonged period then they should just take the belt off them but give them a title shot when they choose on their return.
Old 21.04.2016, 03:53 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Is Aldo v Edgar for an interim belt? If it is then I agree, no need for that. Interim belts are pointless unless the Champion is shelved for a long time. Tbh, if a Champion is injured for a prolonged period then they should just take the belt off them but give them a title shot when they choose on their return.
yeah, Dana said he would make it for the real belt if Connor didnt clear up his future.

i agree, it kinda works if a champion pulls out of a match but will be back soon.

but it just seems like a cheap way to call something a title match.
Old 21.04.2016, 03:53 PM
MVP

Yeah, I think all sports like this need to realise they cant keep squeezing their guys but in all honest Connor is the big thing right now and UFC know it but the also know before him it was someone else and itll be someone else after.

It's not like he is the biggest name the company have ever had.

They should want to look after him though but sadly this rarely seems the case.

its all about selling the next event.

They have on more than one occasion earned a lot less money off one of their stars because of the way the treat them

He though I don't believe would have been a name without UFC which is why I questioned the he has made them enough money thing...

it is him however that is risk his health and sanity and for that reason alone he should be able to call the shots.
Old 22.04.2016, 10:49 PM
GOAT

looks like Dana cut off his nose to spite his face.
Old 23.04.2016, 06:26 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
looks like Dana cut off his nose to spite his face.
What Nate said must have pleased him too.
Old 23.04.2016, 05:10 PM
Starter

Away from all the McGregor hysteria, 197 tonight looks like an excellent event. The two p4p best fighters on earth, Jones going up against the second best 205er he hasn't yet beaten, and Mighty Mouse against the guy who is probably the last hope for dethroning him at 125 (probably the only flyweight fight I've ever been excited for), Pettis vs Barboza is an insane striking matchup, Robert Whittaker is the best young prospect in an old middleweight division, Yair Rodriguez is a highlight reel waiting to happen. The prelims even have some solid fights with Sergio Pettis, Carla Esparza and James Vick.

Really good card on paper despite not having Jones/Cormier.
Old 23.04.2016, 07:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn94 View Post
Away from all the McGregor hysteria, 197 tonight looks like an excellent event. The two p4p best fighters on earth, Jones going up against the second best 205er he hasn't yet beaten, and Mighty Mouse against the guy who is probably the last hope for dethroning him at 125 (probably the only flyweight fight I've ever been excited for), Pettis vs Barboza is an insane striking matchup, Robert Whittaker is the best young prospect in an old middleweight division, Yair Rodriguez is a highlight reel waiting to happen. The prelims even have some solid fights with Sergio Pettis, Carla Esparza and James Vick.

Really good card on paper despite not having Jones/Cormier.
Ovince Saint Preux is the 2nd best 205er? Or have misinterpreted the 'hasn't yet beaten' bit? He's the 2nd best guy at 205 who he hasn't fought yet? How good does that actually make him?

Johnson v Cejudo I'm interested in. I'll be honest i haven't seen Whittaker fight, so perhaps it's a better card than i thought. We'll see.
Old 23.04.2016, 08:18 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Ovince Saint Preux is the 2nd best 205er? Or have misinterpreted the 'hasn't yet beaten' bit? He's the 2nd best guy at 205 who he hasn't fought yet? How good does that actually make him?

Johnson v Cejudo I'm interested in. I'll be honest i haven't seen Whittaker fight, so perhaps it's a better card than i thought. We'll see.
There are only two guys left who Jones hasn't yet fought, who have any business being put in a cage with him at 205. Rumble Johnson and OSP. OSP is the lesser of those two, but it's still a fight that I'm interested in, and a fight that probably would have happened down the line anyway. I guess is the point I was making.