Ufc - Page 39 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 11.09.2016, 06:09 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
a great main event but the rest of the card was lacking.

the CM Punk match was a bit of a shame, not unexpected but i hoped for a bit more.
the only bit i didnt like about Gall, was afterwards stating he want to war with the next guy. he executed a perfect gameplan in this fight but i dont like guys who talk big like that and after not even standing with Punk for a second.
It's an mma fight though not a man off. Why bother standing and trading with someone when you can effortlessly take them down and submit them? If CM Punk wanted to stand and trade then the onus is on him to defend the takedown.
Also what's wrong with Gall using that platform to try and generate some interest in a fight and make some money. I'm legitimately interested in seeing Gall vs Northcutt now. Considering Northcutt typically fights at 155, that fight doesn't even happen if Gall doesn't call for it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.09.2016, 06:14 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn94 View Post
It's an mma fight though not a man off. Why bother standing and trading with someone when you can effortlessly take them down and submit them? If CM Punk wanted to stand and trade then the onus is on him to defend the takedown.
Also what's wrong with Gall using that platform to try and generate some interest in a fight and make some money. I'm legitimately interested in seeing Gall vs Northcutt now. Considering Northcutt typically fights at 155, that fight doesn't even happen if Gall doesn't call for it.

no problem with the way he fought, it was his plan and it worked.

and no you dont need to get into a trade off.

but if you want to talk about wars and such, then thats a different thing.
so it was even the calling out of another guy, its just that one aspect of someone talking something they might not have any intention of delivering.

last night was clearly the chance to put on a show but he wasnt even willing to take that risk against Punk.
Old 12.09.2016, 01:51 PM
Team Captain

What on earth is that Punk fella doing, i have never followed wrestling so have never seen his athletic ability in action before saturday night, dont get me wrong he seems a top fella and it would be hard to dislike him at all but the man would be out of place if he appeared on a series of the ultimate fighter in any weight class there does not seem any explosion or anger from him, on the winner Gail or whatever his name is he looks a tidy fighter who has now got his name on the board and it will e interesting to see how he fares along the way.

Overeem is a strange one for me, he at times looks unbeatable and and looks like he can knock anyone out at will and then gets knocked out himself, got to love the heavyweight division its packed with fighters who can put anybody to sleep at any time, still think Cain is the number 1 but any of them on any given day could be the champ the question would always be how long would they hold the belt for?
Old 13.09.2016, 03:28 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljstevens View Post
What on earth is that Punk fella doing, i have never followed wrestling so have never seen his athletic ability in action before saturday night, dont get me wrong he seems a top fella and it would be hard to dislike him at all
The funny thing is, in the wrestling industry he is seen as a very prickly, difficult and obnoxious individual. His conduct in UFC has appeared to be the polar opposite to how he was in wrestling.

Though getting paid $500,000 to live your dream (even if it did involve getting a good hiding) probably helps to improve your demeanour!
Old 15.09.2016, 05:49 PM
Starter

Punk should never even have been licensed to fight in the UFC. He had no history of combat sports or grappling(for real).

I said to somebody the other day i would not be shocked at all if the whole thing was a work. The has been a history of them in the UFC and Pride back years ago. They had alot of PPV buys on Punks name so a nice simple fight pushing up the PPVs where nobody gets hurt would not shock me
Old 15.09.2016, 06:08 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg909 View Post
Punk should never even have been licensed to fight in the UFC. He had no history of combat sports or grappling(for real).

I said to somebody the other day i would not be shocked at all if the whole thing was a work. The has been a history of them in the UFC and Pride back years ago. They had alot of PPV buys on Punks name so a nice simple fight pushing up the PPVs where nobody gets hurt would not shock me
he had been training.

i do love the way people just forgot that fight could of easily been between any of the other guys on the card.
its not like he tapped out to strikes.

it would be quite a shock if it was a work, cos surely they would of let Punk do something and have it last at least a round.
a lot of PPV buys, maybe but a lot of people maybe not coming back.

it was a bad match up for him, as pointed out by Joe theres a reason those of different belt levels dont face each other in marital arts.
a fight against a guy that wanted to stand (well one that lacked skill on the ground.) might of been a bit more interesting.
Old 15.09.2016, 06:22 PM
Hall of Fame

That was my first thought over the Punk reaction too. Aldo got levelled by Mcgregor in 10 seconds, obviously he has a track record, but as a performance it was pretty bad.

I wonder if they made the match as a win/win. Gall might not be known, or ultimately world class, but as a young fighter he's gained major publicity from this. If they'd given Punk a journeyman opponent then a Punk loss would be a complete fail.
Old 15.09.2016, 06:39 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
That was my first thought over the Punk reaction too. Aldo got levelled by Mcgregor in 10 seconds, obviously he has a track record, but as a performance it was pretty bad.

I wonder if they made the match as a win/win. Gall might not be known, or ultimately world class, but as a young fighter he's gained major publicity from this. If they'd given Punk a journeyman opponent then a Punk loss would be a complete fail.
you also see fights where a guy just lays on a fella for 3 rounds.

i suppose people are often quick to try and write people off after a loss, add in Punks lack of track record and people that were ready to mock him.

for me he earnt points for showing up, never doing the big i am, taking the loss beyond well and trying to do something while on his back (again more experienced fighters have fallen quicker in that position.)

at the end of the prelims, they has Dana doing his bit to sell the PPV but when Punk came up you could see in his eyes he knew what was coming.

i think you are probably right, that wasnt a fight made to put Punk over or even as a building block.
there would be a risk of Punk losing to anyone so even giving him someone that could be seen as easy to then build a bigger second fight was a risk too.

the fishy thing was the Dana was at the non-UFC event when Gall called out Punk.
Old 16.09.2016, 12:49 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
he had been training.
training isnt a fight though.
The man no experience in combat sports and should never have been liscenced. Gall had 2 pro and three amateur fights before hand and should never have been a first fight for somebody with 0 amateur and 0 pro fights.

At least they had the excuse that James Toney was a former multi weight world boxing champion before throwing him to the lions.

This isnt the days of UFC 31 when you could throw a young BJ Penn straight into the UFC on the back of his BJJ World Championships
Old 16.09.2016, 12:55 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg909 View Post
training isnt a fight though.
The man no experience in combat sports and should never have been liscenced. Gall had 2 pro and three amateur fights before hand and should never have been a first fight for somebody with 0 amateur and 0 pro fights.

At least they had the excuse that James Toney was a former multi weight world boxing champion before throwing him to the lions.

This isnt the days of UFC 31 when you could throw a young BJ Penn straight into the UFC on the back of his BJJ World Championships
At least Penn had been in some sort of competitive combat event.

Punk had never even been a high school wrestler or low level karate combatant. I don't even think he played high school football.