What's the problem with Twickenham? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 16.12.2016, 02:08 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothjim View Post
I think a big factor in my decision will be kick off times at both venues. I'm a teacher, so can't take days off work therefore an overnight stay is not an option. I'm based in Norwich, so will arrive via Liverpool Street. Could be tricky, Twickers especially.

Having said that, I do have a half term beginning on the 23rd October.........game day before that. That's one! Want to get to a couple of games if I can. Will need to research parking and train options as others have suggested.
Cheers,
Jim.
Hey Jim - nothing wrong with Twickenham in my opinion and certainly a better place to have a bite to eat and drink before going into the stadium than at Wembley.

I go to Twickenham frequently and take a similar journey that you will be taking and very easy to get to. From Norwich go to Stratford (change at Colchester and then a couple of minute wait for the next train) and then get the Jubilee line to Waterloo which takes about 15 mins. Trains from Waterloo to Twickenham can take anywhere from 20 to 50 mins, but usefully have four or five 20 min trains per hour. Left out of the train station will send you to some great places for food and drink and right out of the station is a 10 min walk to the stadium.

To get away quickly afterwards, get to Twickenham station but go the opposite side of the platform from those going into Waterloo, go one station back, change platforms and then get a train to Waterloo (therefore avoiding the queues and bagging yourself a seat!)
Sponsored Links
Old 16.12.2016, 08:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotters78 View Post
Hey Jim - nothing wrong with Twickenham in my opinion and certainly a better place to have a bite to eat and drink before going into the stadium than at Wembley.

I go to Twickenham frequently and take a similar journey that you will be taking and very easy to get to. From Norwich go to Stratford (change at Colchester and then a couple of minute wait for the next train) and then get the Jubilee line to Waterloo which takes about 15 mins. Trains from Waterloo to Twickenham can take anywhere from 20 to 50 mins, but usefully have four or five 20 min trains per hour. Left out of the train station will send you to some great places for food and drink and right out of the station is a 10 min walk to the stadium.

To get away quickly afterwards, get to Twickenham station but go the opposite side of the platform from those going into Waterloo, go one station back, change platforms and then get a train to Waterloo (therefore avoiding the queues and bagging yourself a seat!)
Excellent, thanks pal! Certainly feeling better about Twickers after such helpful feedback. Just got to wait for the ticket sale now.
Old 16.12.2016, 08:13 PM
Rookie

Jim,
My issues with Twickenham were the knees of the guy behind me, which spent the game in my back, and the three hours that it took to get back to King's Cross, but I caught the shuttle bus to Hounslow and direct tube to the station. Perhaps it was a slow route.
When I got to KC all main line trains to the north were cancelled and they were advising people to travel home on the Monday. Then I, and umpteen hundred others, heard there was a local service to Peterborough. Well half way is better than no way so I managed to secure my square foot of space and stood most of the way, unable to move. I only mention this because the next sardines to me were fans from Norwich who reckoned the Sunday service was so bad that they drive down the A11 / M11 and catch a train. Worth looking into. Just do your homework.

Last edited by steve52; 16.12.2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 16.12.2016, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Driving has crossed my mind Steve. Perhaps park at an outlying tube station, head to there and drive out. More under my own control at least. That may be an easier option at wembley, at least I'm pointed in the right direction home.
If it coincides with half term, I'll stay the night somewhere. If not, well, we'll see!
Old 19.12.2016, 08:31 AM
Team Captain

I understand that Twickenham has a three game contract, so 2017 maybe the last before moving to WHL! My experience was OK(just) so I will go again. London's Overground was being fixed so my quickest route was unavailable! Check Transport for London website.
Old 19.12.2016, 09:08 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothjim View Post
Driving has crossed my mind Steve. Perhaps park at an outlying tube station, head to there and drive out. More under my own control at least. That may be an easier option at wembley, at least I'm pointed in the right direction home.
If it coincides with half term, I'll stay the night somewhere. If not, well, we'll see!
Hilllingdon tube is literally just off the A40, it is on the Metropolitan line 25 minutes to Wembley and has a large carpark.

The Stanmore branch of the Jubilee line is closer to the A1/M1 but more awkward for parking.
Old 19.12.2016, 12:29 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISLEONG View Post
Hilllingdon tube is literally just off the A40, it is on the Metropolitan line 25 minutes to Wembley and has a large carpark.

The Stanmore branch of the Jubilee line is closer to the A1/M1 but more awkward for parking.
I always park near Hillingdon and get the direct train to Wembley. So easy.

I don't chance the Hillingdon car park incase it's full, so i use justpark.co.uk and park on someones driveway for about £5 all day.

Normally lots of options just a 5-10 minute walk from Hillingdon station. Job done.
Old 19.12.2016, 03:23 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gooner View Post
The Twickenham stadium is quite a dirty dump compared to most stadiums nowadays.
Different to Wembley...yes. A bit old school...yes. Slightly rough around the edges in places....yes.

A dirty dump?! Absolutely not.

Of course it is different to new builds nowadays - it's over 100 years old for goodness sake!! But still a great venue for sport, rich in history and character.

Absolutely don't be put off my some of the opinions on here who seem to want heated seats and unlimited legroom.
Old 19.12.2016, 04:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian182 View Post
Absolutely don't be put off my some of the opinions on here who seem to want heated seats and unlimited legroom.
Invalidation by exaggeration huh?

It's not unreasonable to expect a 'world class' stadium to have enough legroom to prevent your legs from hitting the back of the person in-front of you. The game is three hours or so and for me, fortunately it's just a comfort issue - for others it may be more of a health / mobility concern.
Old 19.12.2016, 04:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian182 View Post
Different to Wembley...yes. A bit old school...yes. Slightly rough around the edges in places....yes.

A dirty dump?! Absolutely not.

Of course it is different to new builds nowadays - it's over 100 years old for goodness sake!! But still a great venue for sport, rich in history and character.

Not one person has come close to saying anything of the sort, you really are the king of the straw man argument in this folder.