Big Red Thread (Cardinals) - Page 12 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Sponsored Links

Old 24.07.2006, 11:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Default Re:Big Red Thread (Cardinals)

But surely as long suffering Cardinal fans you would be a bit peeved if some bandwagon fans came along ? They havent been through the hard times, havent had all the mickey taking on forums etc.

Thats why i have a ton of respect for old Tampa bay fans as they had year after year of bad football until things slowly improved and they won it all.

If Arizona go 12-4 this year you KNOW next offseason here will be even more Cards fans arriving !

If you go through the bad times you appreciate the good times even more.
Sponsored Links
Old 24.07.2006, 11:59 AM
All Pro

I just want to be able to have the scores coming up during Sunday night on Sky and conmstasntly seeing the Cards trailing. 8-8 will do me quite happily. A progression year is on the way, maybe next year or the year after that, then we should be a decent force in football.
Old 24.07.2006, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=1;threadid=11240;start=105#msg478442 date=1153742148]
But surely as long suffering Cardinal fans you would be a bit peeved if some bandwagon fans came along ? They havent been through the hard times, havent had all the mickey taking on forums etc.

Thats why i have a ton of respect for old Tampa bay fans as they had year after year of bad football until things slowly improved and they won it all.

If Arizona go 12-4 this year you KNOW next offseason here will be even more Cards fans arriving !

If you go through the bad times you appreciate the good times even more.
[/quote]

i dont mind new fans - thats the way a team grows - its whether they hang around thats the question!

At the moment we have very few followers in the UK and that just will not change unless we start winning! the reason that other teams have fans in the UK is because at some point in the last 30 years the had a winning season or two!

lets hope thats the case in 10 years time with the Cards ;D
Old 24.07.2006, 12:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Yeah get your point, more fans the better, even when new people sign up here and 'suddenly' support whoever the SB champ is.

Go back 10 years and it was mostly Cowboy/Niner fans, go back 15 years and not many Patriot fans etc etc.

Sad the way fans have to follow success though !
Old 24.07.2006, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=1;threadid=11240;start=105#msg478457 date=1153743408]
Yeah get your point, more fans the better, even when new people sign up here and 'suddenly' support whoever the SB champ is.

Go back 10 years and it was mostly Cowboy/Niner fans, go back 15 years and not many Patriot fans etc etc.

Sad the way fans have to follow success though !
[/quote]

i agree with that - but if your from the UK its prob more likely that you get into the game watching it on TV and the chances are you will follow someone you see playing (and winning). Without growing up in an area in the states its unlikely that the worst teams get the same followers as good ones!

add to this the availability of jerseys etc over here (and which teams they are for) and that people go florida/NY/Boston more than to Phoenix and Cinc its only natural that they have more followers!
Old 24.07.2006, 01:44 PM
Pro Bowler

It'll be hard for me to see bandwagon fans getting season tickets and going to all the games when I am over here. In the past I have seriously looked into ways I could fly out there for the home games. Unfortunately my lottery numbers haven't come up yet

It'll be interesting to see how much TV time the Cardinals get on Sky this year. I really really want to see Halling forced to say positive things about the Cardinals - something he seems unable to do despite all the positive moves the front office make.
We have had so little press in the past outside of PHX that NFL fans (hardcore fans aside) still see the team as cheap and poorly run. This hasn't been true for the last 3-4 seasons that I remember. Each year since the confirmation of the new stadium was annouched the FO has made positive steps towards a real living breathing NFL Football team.

TSN article out recently was very good, Edge made some kind of comment along the lines of:

"I see myself going into the HOF and I'm not going to stand by and let other players on the team spoil that for me"

When you have a guy like that come into the locker room who refuses to except anything less than success it can only raise those around him. Most of the players now were brought in by Green, they are hungry to raise this team to the level all Cardinal fans know they can achieve.
Old 24.07.2006, 11:16 PM
All Pro

I first started supporting the cards from about 10 (8 years ago) because I couldn't figure out how to change the team on My sega game. Arizona was first in the list alphabetically so I was always Arizona. I can't imagine supporting any other team! Bad times, good times. I can't wait to see how this year goes!
Old 25.07.2006, 11:31 AM
MVP

That's the best reason I've ever heard for picking a team.

Every few years the Cardinals do something that I think will turn the organization around but it never seems to happen.

They are seldom absolutely horrible dreadful and usually have something positive to build on but it I always end up thinking "they could be a playoff team in two years" year after year.
Old 25.07.2006, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

this is the year man

never has so much come together for us Cards fans - as RR said we have been moving away form the 'same old cards' tag that we have always had for 3 years now.

it started with getting rid of the coach mac and insterting Green at HC, he has taken a couple of year to find the right coaches to go with it but this year i feel we have just the right men in place!

we have drafted well for 3 years now - Graves and Green working well together (trusting each other too as the Fitz pick proved - first the pick and then the deal that he was given)

the Stadium will be (already is) awsome and is now sold out for 6 out of ten games next year, with season tix already gone for all of them) - the rebrand has also given us a boost with most people going for the new logo and jerseys!

We have done well in FA each year Berry et al and a then this year with the move for James.

ok - there are still a few Q's out there - the OL and getting out of the habbit of losing but i really feel like we are going somewhere.....def a playoff team in 2/3 years

Old 25.07.2006, 01:21 PM
Pro Bowler

2/3 years??? Come on AZ where's your Cardinals Kool-Aid

Cardinals playoff bound this season ;D