Browns QB Read Option - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cleveland Browns

Sponsored Links

Old 11.02.2015, 10:25 PM
All Pro

Default Browns QB Read Option

I am struck by the huge dilemma we have regarding the QB position this offseason.

Given that Hoyer is a FA and Manziel is in rehab(I would add my voice to those commending him for making a positive step), along with the number of teams desperate to address the position and the apparent dearth of talent in FA and the draft. As I don't follow College football, I am only saying this on the basis of reports.

There are so many possible situations which could arise, from Hoyer being re-signed to possible trades for either the likes of Glennon/ Faulds or to move up the Draft. I think I would prefer to be boring and if the price is right re-sign Hoyer. While I did want him replaced after his poor stretch of play, it was so we could assess what we had in Manziel before going in to next season. My reasons for Hoyer now are there aren't that many better options out there and any deals sacrificing draft picks cut down on chances of addressing other areas of need in the roster. Anyone have a particular name they think we should try to get?
Sponsored Links
Old 12.02.2015, 01:25 PM
All Pro

I think we stick with what we have tbh...cant see ANY FA's out there that can come in to take us up a level. I like Winston out of FSU but I cant see yet another rookie being taken in Brownstown either. How about Manning for a year or two (I hear Denver aren't sold on bringing him back) until there are more options!?

Last edited by KingKosar; 12.02.2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12.02.2015, 08:44 PM
Banned

I would prefer we throw Johnny in for the year and sign a vet on a 1 year deal whilst at same time drafting a guy with the view of sticking that new guy in next year if this one is bad and Johnny fails etc

My thinking is this, unless the King is right and we sign Manning then this team is going to be one that wins based on D and then the run game being the focal point of the offence with the passing game backing that up. Given there really isn't a number 1 wideout out there in FA aside from Bryant and the Cowboys won't give him up then I don't see the passing game improving much, even if we take a kid in the draft there isn't much there to be honest and what is won't amount to a true number 1 either

Given this I don't see much point bringing Hoyer back, I think last year proved to much and it's only going to be harder this year, he can't win when the game is truly placed on his shoulder IMO and the reality is he will want a multi year deal

I would rather get that kid in if we don't already have him, sit him for a year and see what we have or bring in a vet who would be cheaper than Hoyer and wouldn't have the baggage either
Old 12.02.2015, 08:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKosar View Post
I think we stick with what we have tbh...cant see ANY FA's out there that can come in to take us up a level. I like Winston out of FSU but I cant see yet another rookie being taken in Brownstown either. How about Manning for a year or two (I hear Denver aren't sold on bringing him back) until there are more options!?
This is what puzzles me about teams... if there was a better option available, I would understand. I know Manning has apparent issues with lasting an entire season, but what else is out there. I heard talk in a podcast about giving him a mid season break which must be worth trying.
I would definitely take Manning for the Browns. As well as the player, you would have the work ethic example and experience to rub off on whoever was on the roster - especially the QBs.
Old 12.02.2015, 08:51 PM
Starter

Not difficult for me. We need new receivers and it would be foolhardy to start again with key positions like QB. For me we give Hoyer a year and draft Grayson later in the draft. Manziel has to prove himself still. I would be looking to move on from Gordon this year, he's too unreliable a personality
Old 12.02.2015, 09:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
I would prefer we throw Johnny in for the year and sign a vet on a 1 year deal whilst at same time drafting a guy with the view of sticking that new guy in next year if this one is bad and Johnny fails etc

My thinking is this, unless the King is right and we sign Manning then this team is going to be one that wins based on D and then the run game being the focal point of the offence with the passing game backing that up. Given there really isn't a number 1 wideout out there in FA aside from Bryant and the Cowboys won't give him up then I don't see the passing game improving much, even if we take a kid in the draft there isn't much there to be honest and what is won't amount to a true number 1 either

Given this I don't see much point bringing Hoyer back, I think last year proved to much and it's only going to be harder this year, he can't win when the game is truly placed on his shoulder IMO and the reality is he will want a multi year deal

I would rather get that kid in if we don't already have him, sit him for a year and see what we have or bring in a vet who would be cheaper than Hoyer and wouldn't have the baggage either
Do you reckon we would try for a QB in the first 3 rounds? The difficulty with knowing, I suppose, is that all teams will be puting out a lot of misinformation to throw rivals off the scent of what they intend.

Last edited by Bruce70; 13.02.2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12.02.2015, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce70 View Post
Do you reckon we would try for a QB in the first 3 rounds? The difficulty with knowing, I suppose, is that all teams will be puting out a lot of misinformation to through rivals off the scent of what they intend.
The QB draft this year is average to poor to be totally honest, the best guy is Winston who could come in and potentially start week 1 but this guy in College makes Johnny Football look like a hermit Monk, there are so many off field concerns about him and to be honest even if Farmer wanted him I doubt he would pull the trigger, could you imagine if he took 2 QB in 1st round in successive years and they both turn out to be busts due to off field issues, he would never get another GM job in football again

After all that you then have the issue of how much you would have to give up, the likelihood is it would be on the same level of RG3 just because you really would have to move up to 1 to get him, if your the Bucs you don't really want to drop out of the top 10 for obvious reasons.

The next best option is Mariota but already many are questioning wether he would be able to come in and in reality he would have to sit for a year to two. This would be my favoured option to be honest and I think there is a chance he would drop to us, however there is a chance he might not and then to trade up would cost us at least both our first round picks and more etc

I think the reality is we take a guy in the 3rd or 4th at least and basically take a gamble, if both he and JF fail then worst case scenario next years class should be better, don't be to surprised though to see us make a move to top of round 3 or even end of second just to be sure
Old 12.02.2015, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.macca34 View Post
Not difficult for me. We need new receivers and it would be foolhardy to start again with key positions like QB. For me we give Hoyer a year and draft Grayson later in the draft. Manziel has to prove himself still. I would be looking to move on from Gordon this year, he's too unreliable a personality
Problem is your taking at best probably nothing more than a number 2 guy with a first round pick as there really isn't much there and then if you add in FA your looking at mainly number 2 guys as well

I agree with Gordon but if you address the wideouts with this years class then it's highly likely your still having to draft a guy next year to be that number 1
Old 12.02.2015, 10:28 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Problem is your taking at best probably nothing more than a number 2 guy with a first round pick as there really isn't much there and then if you add in FA your looking at mainly number 2 guys as well

I agree with Gordon but if you address the wideouts with this years class then it's highly likely your still having to draft a guy next year to be that number 1
I would take Grayson later I think he would still be there in fifth round, I would trade back in this years draft. Receivers are available in free agency, I would look at offensive line and tackles with first few picks.
Old 12.02.2015, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.macca34 View Post
I would take Grayson later I think he would still be there in fifth round, I would trade back in this years draft. Receivers are available in free agency, I would look at offensive line and tackles with first few picks.
I have just took part in a 3 round mock draft on one of the other threads, I went OLB with first pick and DT with second pick, we need to badly get pressure to the QB in order to play the man coverage in secondary that Pett wants to and therefore allow the D to win games which is probably our best chance next year of winning games